返回列表 发新帖
查看: 2231|回复: 2
打印 上一主题 下一主题

MBA FAQ

[复制链接]
楼主
发表于 2003-8-29 07:43:00 | 只看该作者

MBA FAQ

1.What should I do to apply a Business School?

There are common requirements for international students: TOEFL and other standardized tests, obtaining and filling out the application form, Essays, recommendation letters. Once you’ve got these done you are ready to submit your application. You should also meet the deadlines.

2. What is TOEFL and who should take the TOEFL?

The Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) is used to evaluate the English proficiency of people whose native language is not English. The scores are required for purposes of admission by more than 2,400 colleges and universities in the United States and Canada. TOEFL is also used by institutions in other countries where English is the language of instruction. In addition, government agencies, scholarship programs, and licensing/certification agencies use TOEFL scores to evaluate English proficiency. For more information about TOEFL click here or write to

TOEFL
P.O. Box 6151
Princeton,
N.J. 08541-615
USA

3. What is GMAT and who should take these exams?

The Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT) measures general verbal, mathematical, and analytical writing skills that you have developed over a long period of time. The GMAT is given entirely in English, and all instructions are provided in English.
The GMAT is designed to help graduate business schools assess the qualifications of those who seek admission to study for an MBA or into another advanced business/management program. Your scores are one predictor of your academic performance in the first year of graduate management school (many other factors are considered in the admission process). GMAT scores are used in some way by more than 1,500 graduate management programs around the world. About 850 of those schools require GMAT scores from each applicant.
http://www.ets.org/gmatets.html

4. How can I get the application materials?

You can either send email or call the specific admission offices of the universities or the colleges that you are planning to apply to request application packages. However, most schools now accept electronic or online applications, which can simplify the application process and sometimes speed it up.

5. Do I need any recommendation letters?

Yes, you usually need two or three. Even though you will not be writing your own recommendations, they are your responsibility. Know what forms the business schools require. Most schools request that your recommenders complete a recommendation form and submit an official transcript. Make certain that the recommenders from whom you requested letters have submitted these forms at least three weeks before the application deadline. Pick recommenders who know you and will take the time to write a meaningful assessment of your performance. You may want to schedule a fifteen-minute conference with them to make certain they are well informed about you. It is helpful to give them information about yourself and your interests and school and community extra-curricular activities. You should provide your recommenders with an addressed and stamped envelope with the recommendation form. Make recommenders aware of deadlines and contact them near these deadlines to make certain that the recommendations were mailed.

6. Can I get some financial aid from a university?

Yes, there are some options, these options may include: grants, scholarships, loans, and work-study programs, and also most of the schools pay part of tuition in the case of teaching or research assistantship. For MBA program, financial aid is far less than other programs, although most top b-schools provide both scholarship and loans. For more information about loans, grants and scholarships, Financial Aid Information Page http://www.finaid.org/

7. What is the average cost of MBA program?

According to the survey, estimates for a sample budget range from $20,000 to $60,000 for a year of education, based on average tuition and fees, plus institutional estimates of room and board, books and supplies, transportation, and personal expenses. Anyway, MBA program is a big investment of both money and time.

8. What is the cost of living in the States?

Although this varies from place to place, it is approximately $700-$1000 per month. Most expensive place to live within the USA is NewYork, NY.

沙发
 楼主| 发表于 2003-8-29 07:45:00 | 只看该作者
9. What are the minimum requirements for admission to the MBA Program?

To be considered for admission, candidates must hold a four-year bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university and must submit a fully completed application for admission. International applicants should check for degree equivalency.

10. Do I need work experience?

Most candidates have had at least two years of full-time post-bachelor’s degree work experience. However, on occasion, candidates with limited work experience who have exceptional academic records and GMAT scores are admitted to the program. Business schools do not distinguish applicants according to industry or job function; however, they are specifically interested in how you have contributed to your organization, and especially in what opportunities for leadership you have taken. Please note that it is the quality of your experience, not the quantity, that counts; some admitted students have less than two years of full-time post-bachelor’s work experience.

11. What does the Admissions Committee look for in an applicant?

The committee evaluates applicants’ prospects as business leaders and their projected ability to succeed in and profit from the MBA Program. Committee members carefully consider biographical and academic background information, GMAT score and (for most international applicants) TOEFL score, achievements, awards and honors, employment history, letters of recommendation, and college and community involvement, especially where candidates have served in leadership capacities. The Admissions Committee seeks to create a community of students who bring unique contributions from their diverse backgrounds and experiences and who will collectively enrich the educational experience.

12. Does MBA program have prerequisites for mathematics and computer skills?

All prospective students must have a demonstrated knowledge of algebra and differential calculus before beginning the MBA Program. It is recommended that all admitted students complete a differential calculus course prior to the start of their MBA studies. All admitted students are expected to have a working knowledge of word processing, spreadsheet, and presentation applications, such as Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint. This level of knowledge can be achieved by taking a community college course or by undertaking individual study using widely available books or software. Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint workshops are also available at Business Schools.

13. Can prospective students visit the campus?

All business schools encourages prospective students to visit the campus to attend small group information sessions, to schedule a time for an individual guided visit during which you may sit in on selected classes, or to visit the campus on their own. Information sessions are offered several times a week throughout most of the year. Appointments are necessary, and space can usually be reserved with short notice by calling.

14. May I apply to both the full-time and Fully Employed MBA programs in the same yea
Candidates may apply to only one MBA program in a given year. There are separate application processes for each program.

15. May I defer my admission?

Different Business Schools have different policies. But most schools permit admission deference.

16. How do I renew my previously submitted application?

Most business schools accept re-applicants. Renewal applicants—that is, applicants who submitted a complete application to Business School MBA Program for either of the past two academic years—may update their applications by following the instructions. Renewal applications must be received by regular application deadlines, and renewal applicants are encouraged to apply by the Round 2 deadline.

Re-applicants are not placed at any disadvantage for simply having applied (or been denied) in a previous year. We encourage you to give yourself a fresh start when you approach your reapplication. Think through, and re-write, the essays again (the questions often change slightly each year), update work history, submit new letters of reference (even if you choose the same recommenders), and submit new transcripts and test scores. This is also a good opportunity for you to add any new information that may be helpful in the decision process.

If you applied more than two years ago, you must submit a new and complete application. Renewal applicants using a web-based application to reapply must indicate that they are renewing before filling out the application, as online instructions differ.

板凳
 楼主| 发表于 2003-8-29 07:46:00 | 只看该作者
17. If I already have an MBA, may I still apply to US/UK MBA Program?

If you have already completed an MBA program in US/ UK, then you are not eligible to apply to any MBA. program. But if you completed an MBA program in China, you may have chance to apply US/UK MBA again. But anyway, you have to give a very logical reason to study again.

18. When will I receive my decision letter?

No decision is made on any application until the complete application file has been received by the Admissions Office. Each of the decision rounds has a set deadline. You can get this information from the school application instructions.

19. Are there any advantages to applying early?

Yes. Because students are notified on a continuous basis throughout each stated application deadline period, the class may become filled over time, and admissions decisions may become limited by space and student mix. Therefore, applicants are advised to apply for admission as early as possible. Candidates denied admission during one deadline period cannot reapply during another admissions deadline period in the same academic year.

20. I can’t ask my boss for a recommendation, From whom should I get a recommendation

Think of another work-related source, such as a client or a manager from another department who knows your skills. Perhaps you could ask a former boss who has left the company. What we are looking for is a recommendation from someone who knows your work well, preferably from a supervisory perspective.

21. Are interviews necessary?

There are two kinds of interviews: phone and in person interview by alumni, senior students or admissions officers. For most top schools, interviews are required, but different schools have different requirements, and different schools take it in different importance. Like Harvard and Darden, which are 100% case study, interviews may be 100% important; but for many other schools, it is not. Also, some schools interview all of their applicants, like Michigan and Kellogg; but others just interview by invitation, like Harvard, Wharton, NYU, etc. In addition, B-schools often change their interview policies, so applicants should carefully investigate the interview requirements of school they will apply.

22. What are the most popular career choices among students?

Many students pursue careers in finance, consulting, and marketing.

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

Mark一下! 看一下! 顶楼主! 感谢分享! 快速回复:

近期活动

正在浏览此版块的会员 ()

手机版|ChaseDream|GMT+8, 2024-4-20 14:31
京公网安备11010202008513号 京ICP证101109号 京ICP备12012021号

ChaseDream 论坛

© 2003-2023 ChaseDream.com. All Rights Reserved.

返回顶部