ChaseDream
搜索
12下一页
返回列表 发新帖
查看: 3140|回复: 10

[学校信息] 7 Key Differences Between U.S. And European MBA Programs

[复制链接]
发表于 2017-3-16 20:14:07 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
Hey guys, today I want to share my opinion about the differences between US and European MBA programs. As always, if you have a question about your application, feel free to leave a comment here or send me a private message here or on Wechat (JonFrankHBS). I'm happy to help!

The MBA degree made its way from America to Europe about seventy years ago with the founding of INSEAD.

European MBA programs have flourished ever since, offering countless opportunities to study in breathtaking Old World cities while mastering business in the world’s largest trading bloc. However, applicants familiar with American-style MBA programs may be surprised to learn just how different the degree is across the pond. Here are seven key differences to consider as you weigh whether a European degree is right for you:

1. Most European programs are one-year. While UK schools tend to follow the American model, the vast majority of continental programs are one year long. Some may see this as a disadvantage, but for others, the reduced opportunity costs and the denser format are a distinct advantage.

2. Many Euro MBAs have lower costs and better ROIs than U.S. programs. One year less of studies also means one year less of tuition, lost salary and living costs. Even compared to graduates of more onerous U.S. programs, graduates of elite European programs often land similar jobs with similar salaries!

3. You can apply as an older candidate. The average age at U.S. MBA programs hovers between 25-28, but European programs average anywhere from 28-35. Candidates are older and more experienced on average, and the age range in classes tends to be wider than in U.S. schools.

4. More flexible application requirements. U.S. schools have a tendency to recruit within a very tight GMAT range. Few schools are willing to go out of their way to recruit candidates with GMATs or GPAs far lower than their target. European schools, on the other hand, have class profiles with a far wider range of GMAT scores and GPAs due to the greater emphasis put on experience and application quality.

5. European B-Schools are very international. Whereas international students make up 20-40% of the student body at American MBA programs, the number hovers around 90% at European schools. This is as true for faculty members as it is for students.

6. International placements from European MBAs are higher than from U.S. MBAs. Going along with European schools’ international nature, international placements are much more common. So if you are targeting jobs in Asia, Europe or Africa, Euro programs can offer you unique access.

7. There are many great unranked and unknown schools in each country. Everyone knows the Financial Times rankings, which are a great place to start when looking for prestigious European and international MBA programs. But beyond the most famous/highest ranked schools, there are a plethora of very good options. For example, have you ever heard of a famous Norwegian B-school? I hadn’t until this I wrote this article. But as a highly developed country of 5 million with a strong oil and gas industry and amazingly high salaries, there are certainly many opportunities for job-seekers coming from BI or NHH.

There are many benefits to a U.S.-style MBA program, but those looking for a quicker, cheaper, more international experience should also consider a European MBA.
发表于 2017-3-18 19:12:59 | 显示全部楼层
感谢分享!               
发表于 2017-3-20 14:31:47 | 显示全部楼层
欧洲生活比美国有趣 MBA起薪会少他个十几二十万   其他差别不大
发表于 2017-3-20 15:11:54 | 显示全部楼层
thx for sharing
发表于 2017-3-25 02:57:18 | 显示全部楼层
Thanks for sharing~
发表于 2017-6-15 18:18:08 | 显示全部楼层
Hi Jon, I have 3 year working experience and now got NYU SPS marketing offer AND EDHEC MBA offer...  I don't know how to choose.. From my heart, i think MBA program would fit for me, but NYU has a better frame in China, that's kinda my dream school. But School of Professional Studies seems weak somehow.. I dont konw where to go...
 楼主| 发表于 2017-6-16 22:58:27 | 显示全部楼层
aaaaabbbbbccccc 发表于 2017-6-15 18:18
Hi Jon, I have 3 year working experience and now got NYU SPS marketing offer AND EDHEC MBA offer...  ...

Hey there,
It’s a tough choice because the programs are so different. I would say it depends on your goals. Personal and professional. Where you want to live. where you want to work. what you want to do. It’s tough to compare schools in different countries markets and continents. Yes, you are right that NYU has a better name. But it is only better for you if it matches what you desire.

Hope this helps!
Best,
Jon Frank
发表于 2017-6-19 16:36:33 | 显示全部楼层
JonFrank 发表于 2017-6-16 22:58
Hey there,
It’s a tough choice because the programs are so different. I would say it depends on y ...

“Yes, you are right that NYU has a better name. But it is only better for you if it matches what you desire.”

Thanks Jon, that helps a lot!!

Wish you all the best!
发表于 2017-6-23 15:38:43 | 显示全部楼层
Thanks John for sharing. The thing is, as an Asian student, European MBA is lesser known to most of us compared with those in the States...and the life style is also quite different from ours.
Do you view it a good chance for us to explore? Considering the study experiences, ROIs and cultural stuff.
Cheers.
 楼主| 发表于 2017-6-26 17:59:29 | 显示全部楼层
Briana就酱 发表于 2017-6-23 15:38
Thanks John for sharing. The thing is, as an Asian student, European MBA is lesser known to most of  ...

Hello there!
Well it’s up to you! It’s true that often from China the US schools are more prestigious. But if you are interested there are many unique opportunities over every country. Obviously you have to be interested in that lifestyle to make it happen. So it’s also a personal thing.

So fundamentally speaking, yes, I think you should also explore it, if you are open to it.

Best,
Jon Frank
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

Mark一下! 看一下! 顶楼主! 感谢分享! 快速回复:

近期活动

正在浏览此版块的会员 ()

手机版|ChaseDream|GMT+8, 2024-4-18 15:03
京公网安备11010202008513号 京ICP证101109号 京ICP备12012021号

ChaseDream 论坛

© 2003-2023 ChaseDream.com. All Rights Reserved.

返回顶部