搜索
返回列表 发新帖
查看: 4048|回复: 0
打印 上一主题 下一主题

关于读PHD的时机

[复制链接]
楼主
发表于 2007-1-9 16:23:00 | 显示全部楼层

Check out this and the orginal post at http://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=31630

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There is excellent advice on this forum and the BW forum about overcoming the age hurdle.

Here is my take. Do not approach your age with a defensive mindset. All you have to do through your application and SOP is demonstrate that you have the potential to do quality academic research. My suggestion would be to position your interest in academia as a consequence of questions which got triggered through your work experience and then got reinforced through reading of recent issues of top tier academic journals.

Here is what I did. Way before the deadlines, I read recent papers from top tier marketing journals( UTD Dallas research rankings will help you to identify these journals) I then used these papers , my experience and a study of faculty research interests to write to faculty with specific research questions in areas of my interest. Cannot elaborate too much on this without giving away my identity completely, but consequence of this was that I ended up working on a collaborative research project before my application and this was a substantive way to demonstrate research interest.

My experience suggests that the age issue is over rated. Yes, all other things being equal, a younger candidate will be preferred. The thing is this: can you show from your application that you understand what academic research involves and have some understanding of the academic literature in your field of interest.

I am not an expert on the process(if we are completely honest, very few people are) I will however say that I applied to six well ranked research univs in marketing(top twenty ish) got three offers and 1 waitlist. I will also say that you should not put too much store in popular perceptions of univs which are not age friendly. One such univ waitlisted me(and I was 39 at time of application)

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

Mark一下! 看一下! 顶楼主! 感谢分享! 快速回复:

近期活动

正在浏览此版块的会员 ()

手机版|ChaseDream|GMT+8, 2024-5-12 07:17
京公网安备11010202008513号 京ICP证101109号 京ICP备12012021号

ChaseDream 论坛

© 2003-2023 ChaseDream.com. All Rights Reserved.

返回顶部