返回列表 发新帖
查看: 17604|回复: 41
打印 上一主题 下一主题

OG12 137 平行问题(已解决)

[复制链接]
跳转到指定楼层
楼主
发表于 2011-7-20 14:44:57 | 只看该作者 回帖奖励 |正序浏览 |阅读模式
Joachim Raff and Giacomo Meyerbeer are examples of the kind of composer who receives popular acclaim while living, often goes into decline after death, and never regains popularity again.

(A) often goes into decline after death, and never regains popularity again
(B) whose reputation declines after death and never regains its status again
(C) but whose reputation declines after death and never regains its former status
(D) who declines in reputation after death and who never regained popularity again
(E) then has declined in reputation after death and  never regained popularity

对于正确选项C,OG给的解释是:This sentense presents the proper logic while maintaining parallel structure ans consistent verb tense.

也就是说句子主体是JR and GM are composer who..., but whose....  OG认为这两个从句是平行的。

可是曼哈顿第四章却讲到,Parallel clauses should start with the same word.
Wrong: I want to retire to a place WHERE I can relax AND THAT has low taxes.
Right:   I want to retire to a place WHERE I can relax AND WHERE the taxes are low.

而且那个著名的培训机构也说,从句并列,连接词要是一样的才可以。。

Wait A minute, B选项的解释还有这么一句话:
The two clauses are not parallel, lack a coordinating conjunction, and do not describe the same thing.
莫非,是因为Q137中那两个从句不是说一件事,故平行不用保证相同的连接词?还是什么?

不知道啊~!不知道!求帮助~~
收藏收藏1 收藏收藏1
42#
发表于 2021-1-14 17:20:29 | 只看该作者
我i对这个句子的疑问是but后面的句子C选项中的never regains its former status的引导词是whose啊,难道不应该是who吗?
41#
发表于 2019-6-4 13:59:02 | 只看该作者
提示: 作者被禁止或删除 内容自动屏蔽
40#
发表于 2019-6-3 11:15:27 | 只看该作者
soulwangh 发表于 2013-8-23 10:06
所以说这个帖子没有解决问题。
Manhattan在第五版避开了这个点。
用的例句如下,而且说明的语法点并不是从 ...

Mark一下!               
39#
发表于 2015-9-30 03:12:20 | 只看该作者
无敌可爱多 发表于 2011-7-20 21:30
我还是看不太明白你的问题你是觉得but有问题?还是whose有问题?还是都有问题?是要求平行严格一致? ...

我觉得你的解释是对的,就是关于“指代的都是同一个人,但是只是一个主格,一个所有格”,但是好像这个披萨可乐例子怪怪的,,难怪bat有点保留意见。
38#
发表于 2015-9-30 03:06:22 | 只看该作者
我觉得是不是还是要根据句子的意思呢,who receives popular acclaim 与reputation declines明显就是两个opposite的状况,所以就but表示转折意思会更清楚吧。
37#
发表于 2015-1-3 07:39:39 | 只看该作者
凑凑热闹,OG刷完了,还有几个题哈哈
36#
发表于 2014-2-5 16:41:08 | 只看该作者
MarjorieQ 发表于 2014-1-23 18:15
话说没人好奇为什么后面的and没有连接complete sentence吗?没有主语啊。。。和前面的两个句子是什么关系啊 ...

ron的一个回复可能能帮助到你:
Q;Hi, I understand the parallelism concept in this exercise, but what I find confusing is the use of "but" after the comma because this usage suggests that we should look for a complete clause rather than a modifier.

A:this “rule” is not really a rule. it's an approximate guideline in most cases, but it's definitely not a strict rule.
often, the comma will be omitted when there are two complete clauses -- if those clauses are short enough to render the comma unnecessary.
also -- again quite often -- a comma will be included even if the structures are not complete clauses, especially if the structures are long enough to make the sentence essentially unreadable without the comma.
for instance:
i shut the windows and locked the doors --> this sentence doesn't need any additional punctuation.
i shut the windows so firmly that i would later have trouble opening them, and locked the doors using both the standard locks and the deadbolts --> these are not complete clauses, but the sentence is still written with the comma, because it's absolutely unreadable without the comma (try it yourself).

MOST IMPORTANTLY
PUNCTUATION IS NOT TESTED ON THIS EXAM!
don't bother with “rules” based on punctuation, because (a) gmac doesn't test them, and, more importantly, (b) the vast majority of them will not be hard rules.
the only time you'll want to mind punctuation at all is when it actually differentiates different structures: for instance, “no comma + -ing” is very different from “comma + -ing”.
but, those kinds of things aren't really punctuation issues -- they are issues concerning the resulting structures. for instance, the example i just mentioned would be a modifier issue, not really a punctuation issue.
35#
发表于 2014-1-23 18:19:03 | 只看该作者
因为不知道 never regains its former status的主语是 reputation还是composer,话说名誉恢复到之前的情况。。。。。
34#
发表于 2014-1-23 18:15:31 | 只看该作者
话说没人好奇为什么后面的and没有连接complete sentence吗?没有主语啊。。。和前面的两个句子是什么关系啊
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

IESE MBA
近期活动

正在浏览此版块的会员 ()

手机版|ChaseDream|GMT+8, 2024-9-22 16:47
京公网安备11010202008513号 京ICP证101109号 京ICP备12012021号

ChaseDream 论坛

© 2003-2023 ChaseDream.com. All Rights Reserved.

返回顶部