打印 上一主题 下一主题

[校友答疑] NYU Stern在校学生答疑 - 新增国际学生节活动照片!!

[精华] [复制链接]
11#
 楼主| 发表于 2007-2-25 16:43:00 | 只看该作者
I like your question! 

This is only Febuary, and majority already got summer internships.  Most of the
internships are with the best companies on the street, such as Morgan
Stanley, Goldman, Merrill, Citi, Credit Suisse, Bear Stearn, Deutsche, Barclays, etc.  And
many have 2-4 offers.  Most got internship at New York from
balge brackets, literally.   Some gave up one of the best offers in New York and chose to go back to Hong Kong for
summer. 

I got to tell you, this is a great school, and placement records of school are great!  Even better than many that ranked higher in general. 

[此贴子已经被作者于2007-2-27 10:10:06编辑过]
12#
发表于 2007-2-25 16:54:00 | 只看该作者

coffemug, thank you for the sharing. How many Chinese students were admitted into Stern last year? In what round did you apply to Stern last year?

As per its website, Stern almost does not offer scholarship for international students in other rounds than December round. It that true?

In emails exhanged with AdCom, I was told that Stern is rolling based rather than round base. But the website shows the application is processed on round base. My question is the email is not accurate in the expression?

13#
 楼主| 发表于 2007-2-26 03:07:00 | 只看该作者
David,  I think there are 10 in total, 7 from China direct, and 3 of us have stayed in US for a few years before being
admitted.

There are also 3 HongKong, 3 Taiwan, 7 Korea, 7 Japan, 1 Tailland, etc.   The number may be off a little.

I
applied December round last year, and did not receive interview invite
until 3 months after, almost the longest time span I knew of among applicants.  And it
took me another 2 weeks to get offer after the interview, the
longest time the school promised.   So be patient in application.  Last year it was round based, this
year they might change it.  I am not quite sure. 

Regarding the scholarship, if the admission website says so, then it must be true. 
But don't lose your hope too early.  There are tons of other
scholarships out there, from school or from corporate, non-profit
organizations.   There are also scholarships from school you can apply
after being admitted.  In the 2nd year, you can work as Teaching fellow to earn some income, or work on part-time jobs.  If you do well academically, you can win scholarship too.

[此贴子已经被作者于2007-2-26 3:13:53编辑过]
14#
发表于 2007-2-26 12:07:00 | 只看该作者

Coffemug, thank you for the detailed reply. Some other concerns are about sufficiency of the time available for the processing of visa if I submit my application by the 15th March round. The practical issue puts the March round application unworkable for international students, in some way.

Another issue is about age. Do you have classmates who are around 40? That age will put an applicant at disadvantage?

Stern is a good school, and I will have a shot at it in the March round anyway.

[此贴子已经被作者于2007-2-26 12:22:03编辑过]
15#
发表于 2007-2-26 16:47:00 | 只看该作者

Coffemug,thank you very much! I like NYU Stern very much and I do plan to apply for it of 2008.

Here is my background, would you please give me some advice?

I work in a securities company in china (not very famous), two years as a analyst in Research Department, after that I work in Investment Bank Department till now. The work is so hard that I have no time for preparing GMAT and TOEFL. But if I quit the job, there is another question: how to explain to the school why I didn't work for a year?  By the way, I just got married, my husband hope me to be a F2.

On your opinion, If my GMAT and TOEFL score is OK, according to my working experience, is there some hope to be admited?

And if I quit the job to prepare the test, do you have some advice on how to explain to school of that?

I haven't make detail research on Stern. After I do that, I maybe have more question about Stern, Thank you very much first now.

16#
发表于 2007-2-26 23:13:00 | 只看该作者
coffemug, did u know NYU offer off-site campus interview location other than SH, such as HK?
17#
 楼主| 发表于 2007-2-27 09:48:00 | 只看该作者
多谢!
这个决定你得自己拿,我只能告诉你我说知道的情况,希望对你有所帮助。

你的IB和Research 背景对你找实习工非常有帮助,尤其是这方面相关的工作所以你的工作经验我觉得还是很强的。 GMAT是一定要有的,具体要多高就很难说了,学校一定不会给最低线,越高越好吧,总的来说。  要拿个不错的GMAT分数有时并不需要太长的时间,尤其你能全职复习,这点供你考虑。

GAP 不要紧,但一定要有合理的解释。这里的人都知道IB工作的强度。 即使是为了家庭原因而中断工作很多美国人都非常理解。申请同时也是同其他申请人的竞争。 你有问题再问好了。 祝一切顺利!
18#
 楼主| 发表于 2007-2-27 09:50:00 | 只看该作者
icecream  (yammy!!!)

这个我不是很清,楚在 胡乱解答会浪费你狂多机票钱。

。最好的办法是问 admissions , 他们的解答一般都很及时,而且是最权威的!  
[此贴子已经被作者于2007-2-27 9:51:23编辑过]
19#
 楼主| 发表于 2007-2-27 10:19:00 | 只看该作者

虽然我很久没有和大使馆过招了(thank god!) ,申请VISA应该不会要那么多时间吧。  参考一下VISA版好了。  Stern 一般8月底开学,所以应该不成问题。

年龄的问题我没有答案,请原谅我没有在同学中做系统的人口普查。  而且从相貌永远是具有很强的欺骗性的。   同学里有看起来满老的也有年纪轻轻就很有作为的。  不管怎么样,去年前年没招40岁的也不一定今年就不会拉 话有说回来,去年有招也不一定今年就一定照搬。 不式怎么能知道呢 。不鼓励你申请HARVARD , 据说是很变态的年龄歧视。 

20#
发表于 2007-2-27 10:28:00 | 只看该作者
coffemug, thank you for the prompt and detailed reply, which is really helpful.
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

Mark一下! 看一下! 顶楼主! 感谢分享! 快速回复:

近期活动

正在浏览此版块的会员 ()

手机版|ChaseDream|GMT+8, 2024-6-12 04:47
京公网安备11010202008513号 京ICP证101109号 京ICP备12012021号

ChaseDream 论坛

© 2003-2023 ChaseDream.com. All Rights Reserved.

返回顶部