ChaseDream
搜索
返回列表 发新帖
查看: 25009|回复: 55
打印 上一主题 下一主题

[校友答疑] Current Georgetown MBA students are here to answer your questions regarding our

[精华] [复制链接]
跳转到指定楼层
楼主
发表于 2011-1-20 09:58:29 | 只看该作者 回帖奖励 |倒序浏览 |阅读模式
First, I would like to congratulate to all the CDers who got admission letters from our school.  I am a 1st-year MBA student in GU.  I think it is about time to contribute to thecommunity since I am in a b-school with growing recognition in Asia.  I am a president in one of the largest student clubs and get involved in job affair for international students. I am pretty sure I could answer many of your queries.  And I am a finance guy, and answering most questions regarding FI jobs would not be hard for me.

I would invite more current students to answer your question in thisforum.  If any admitted prospect likes to email me regarding our school condition in detail, please shoot me a message first.  I would give you myschool email.  Furthermore, I apologize for not answering any questions regarding application essays.  I am not good at that and prefer not to mislead you to the wrong direction.

About school:
Georgetown Univ. is one of the hardest school to get in (undergraduate).  Our school of Foreign Service,school of law, and school of med. are among the top ranked schools.  Especially out Foreign Service is the bestprogram in the US. Harvard Kennedy School comes after us.  That is why many domestics consider GU as a highly prestigious school.  Our MBA program is a relatively young program, but we are very ambitious to move up to top-tier MBAs.  Manyof our peers graduated from some prestigious undergrad, like UPenn,Columbia, and NYU, and have been worked for well-known companies like JP Morgan, Morgan Stanley, and IBM.  The quality of students is not an issue.  

About jobs:
There is a huge misunderstanding about our career paths that most of us would work for government.  That is just partially true.  Although some of our graduates accept offers from government.  But the true is, like many other b-schools in east coast, we basically have 4 traditional types of career paths: finance, consulting, marketing, and others.  lease check our annual job report and you would find more details on this matter. 25% of us go to FI and another 25% join consulting industry.  There is no such thing that GU MBAs can only go working for government.

For I’ntl students seeking jobs in US, it is really difficult to find one in finance industry.  It is not for just our school, but a general circumstance in the States.  I’ve seen international students interviewed with commercial banking, consumer bankingfor internships but not for investment banking.  Intl students still have chances but have to work “extremely” hard to stand themselves out.  I might not be 100% correct.  That is my observation.  We have solid relationship with JPM, CITI,BofAML, and AE.  Goldman starts to recruit our people for interns and Morgan Stanley starts to hire us for full-times.
收藏收藏 收藏收藏
沙发
发表于 2011-1-20 10:05:28 | 只看该作者
多谢分享~~

问一下有没有中国学生回香港新加坡或者上海做ib的?
板凳
 楼主| 发表于 2011-1-20 10:44:02 | 只看该作者
No. Because 75% of our student body comprise of domestics.  For intl' students, most chinese students prefer to stay in the US upon graduation.  That makes our presence in HK weak.  But one thing could be notice is that we have strong alumni network in HK.  For any job seeker, like me, hunting for Asia jobs, this is a good opportunity.  So far I know one Korean graduate accept an IBD offer in HK, and one american born chinese would probably work in HK as well.  WE are growing our presence in Asia.
地板
发表于 2011-1-20 10:49:10 | 只看该作者
版上上一个GU的答疑帖貌似是五年以前的了,真高兴看到我的dream school又有热心人站出来为大家答疑解惑。虽然我已经在R1被WL了,但对GU的向往依然无丝毫减少。请问Nyer15同学,GU的国际学生在NGO工作的多么?是否也有F1签证带来的麻烦?谢谢!今后还会经常来提问的
5#
 楼主| 发表于 2011-1-20 11:35:45 | 只看该作者
I know nothing about NGO.  All i know about that matter is that many of my peers seaching jobs in NGO.  lease refer our job report for more details in this regard. And I think that most NGO operates globally and they tend to be more willing to support intl' students for H1 visa.  Still these are my personal observation.  It doesnt represnt the whole prospects.
6#
发表于 2011-1-20 11:41:38 | 只看该作者
感谢回复,很有帮助
7#
发表于 2011-1-20 11:45:50 | 只看该作者
We have solid relationship with JPM, CITI,BofAML, and AE.  Goldman starts to recruit our people for interns and Morgan Stanley starts to hire us for full-times. -- by 会员 nyer15 (2011/1/20 9:58:29)

谢谢LZ答疑!

针对LZ所说的这两句话,我想确认一下:虽然Goergetown跟这几个银行关系紧密,但中国学生还是基本进不去吧?或者说IBD和sales&trading部门(在美国的office)完全没什么希望了?那像equity research一类的,甚至更后台的部门,有希望么?
8#
发表于 2011-1-20 11:56:19 | 只看该作者
Thanks for sharing, it's extremely helpful!

I would like to know that in terms of intern/full-time, how many companies came from big cities in East and West (ex: NYC, Boston, Chicago(Midwest), SF, LA etc.) for campus recruiting and available for intl' student? and also how strong the alumni networking is in these cities and also in China?
9#
 楼主| 发表于 2011-1-20 12:02:10 | 只看该作者
Basically, getting in IBD or S&T in US is still possible, but very very very TOUGH.   Given on what I've seen in our school, no Chinese students got invited to IB internship interviews.  But please dont give up hope if that is truly the destination you want to go for the rest of your life.  Under the circumstance with weak economic strengh and high unemployment rate, remember to "be flexible."  What I want to say is you never know what's gonna happen three years from now.  I assume that the eco would turn way much better than it is now.  Chances would be bigger.  The thing you can do now is to get in you ideal school, stick tight to your goal, and work on it til the end.  For now, I think the biggest chance to find a finance-related job in US is to get a job as internal control, or auditing-related jobs. These jobs requires high skills but few oral communication with others.  We have better chances in these jobs than in IB or S&T.

We have solid relationship with JPM, CITI,BofAML, and AE.  Goldman starts to recruit our people for interns and Morgan Stanley starts to hire us for full-times. -- by 会员 nyer15 (2011/1/20 9:58:29)

谢谢LZ答疑!

针对LZ所说的这两句话,我想确认一下:虽然Goergetown跟这几个银行关系紧密,但中国学生还是基本进不去吧?或者说IBD和sales&trading部门(在美国的office)完全没什么希望了?那像equity research一类的,甚至更后台的部门,有希望么?
-- by 会员 hellooasis (2011/1/20 11:45:50)

10#
发表于 2011-1-20 12:24:52 | 只看该作者
Basically, getting in IBD or S&T in US is still possible, but very very very TOUGH.   Given on what I've seen in our school, no Chinese students got invited to IB internship interviews.  But please dont give up hope if that is truly the destination you want to go for the rest of your life.  Under the circumstance with weak economic strengh and high unemployment rate, remember to "be flexible."  What I want to say is you never know what's gonna happen three years from now.  I assume that the eco would turn way much better than it is now.  Chances would be bigger.  The thing you can do now is to get in you ideal school, stick tight to your goal, and work on it til the end.  For now, I think the biggest chance to find a finance-related job in US is to get a job as internal control, or auditing-related jobs. These jobs requires high skills but few oral communication with others.  We have better chances in these jobs than in IB or S&T.

谢谢LZ答疑!

-- by 会员 hellooasis (2011/1/20 11:45:50)

-- by 会员 nyer15 (2011/1/20 12:02:10)

谢谢热心的LZ!

进一步问一下:也就是说学MBA finance方向的中国同学找的一般都是内部审计(internal audit)的工作?另外,记得比如像GS有个Finance部门,MS有个Financial Control Group ,请问类似这种Finance部门有中国学生进去吗?LZ可否介绍一下这类工作?
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

Mark一下! 看一下! 顶楼主! 感谢分享! 快速回复:

近期活动

正在浏览此版块的会员 ()

手机版|ChaseDream|GMT+8, 2024-4-26 11:41
京公网安备11010202008513号 京ICP证101109号 京ICP备12012021号

ChaseDream 论坛

© 2003-2023 ChaseDream.com. All Rights Reserved.

返回顶部