ChaseDream
搜索
返回列表 发新帖
楼主: nyer15
打印 上一主题 下一主题

[校友答疑] Current Georgetown MBA students are here to answer your questions regarding our

[精华] [复制链接]
41#
发表于 2011-1-25 13:49:21 | 只看该作者
现在进IB之前没有相关的金融背景已经很难了,毕竟坑就那么多,雇主肯定愿意找有相关工作经验的,这样招过来就能上手干活。

所以良心建议大家一定要结合自己之前的背景想你的职业规划,特别是想在美国找实习的话

其实我觉得banking和consulting是最不歧视国际学生的了,现在corporate的机会反而少我觉得,因为像Lo'real、Unilever、Pepsi、American express这样的跨国大公司都不招国际学生的。

想做IB机会都是有的,主要看自己有没有实力,够不够努力。毕竟每周五跑纽约去informational,不是每个人都能坚持的。但如果你目标明确,有相关经验,aggressively networking,希望还是很大的。我一美国同学,这两天要去面Goldman的final,并已有一ib offer在手。他至少在投简历前已经和5个以上Goldman的人做过informational interview了, 入学前他也有相关金融行业经验。所以,关键还是得看自己。我觉得亚洲学生多半不太会像美国人那样networking,努力程度也不一定比美国人高,机会自然少。我本人也拿到一些美国banking的interview(其中也有后台部门), 不过由于自己准备不够充分,mock得不够,现在大多夭折了。。。banking前台和后台对你的skill的要求不太一样,不一定说后台就一定容易进。后台部门的面试如operation,偏project management,所以面试一般都没technical questions.

nyer15很早就把目标锁定亚洲的banking,他也很早就开始努力了,现在interview的结果也不错。希望他快点拿到offer啦。

[quote]Sorry, this question is out of my scope.  I dont work in back office

Basically, getting in IBD or S&T in US is still possible, but very very very TOUGH.   Given on what I've seen in our school, no Chinese students got invited to IB internship interviews.  But please dont give up hope if that is truly the destination you want to go for the rest of your life.  Under the circumstance with weak economic strengh and high unemployment rate, remember to "be flexible."  What I want to say is you never know what's gonna happen three years from now.  I assume that the eco would turn way much better than it is now.  Chances would be bigger.  The thing you can do now is to get in you ideal school, stick tight to your goal, and work on it til the end.  For now, I think the biggest chance to find a finance-related job in US is to get a job as internal control, or auditing-related jobs. These jobs requires high skills but few oral communication with others.  We have better chances in these jobs than in IB or S&T.

We have solid relationship with JPM, CITI,BofAML, and AE.  Goldman starts to recruit our people for interns and Morgan Stanley starts to hire us for full-times. -- by 会员 nyer15 (2011/1/20 9:58:29)

谢谢LZ答疑!

针对LZ所说的这两句话,我想确认一下:虽然Goergetown跟这几个银行关系紧密,但中国学生还是基本进不去吧?或者说IBD和sales&trading部门(在美国的office)完全没什么希望了?那像equity research一类的,甚至更后台的部门,有希望么?
-- by 会员 hellooasis (2011/1/20 11:45:50)

-- by 会员 nyer15 (2011/1/20 12:02:10)

谢谢热心的LZ!

进一步问一下:也就是说学MBA finance方向的中国同学找的一般都是内部审计(internal audit)的工作?另外,记得比如像GS有个Finance部门,MS有个Financial Control Group ,请问类似这种Finance部门有中国学生进去吗?LZ可否介绍一下这类工作?
-- by 会员 hellooasis (2011/1/20 12:24:52)

-- by 会员 nyer15 (2011/1/20 13:20:47)

果然干前台和干后台的之间没什么交流。LZ原来是front office,IBD的?
-- by 会员 hellooasis (2011/1/21 11:45:34)

-- by 会员 winniexin123 (2011/1/25 10:26:43)

[/quote]
42#
发表于 2011-1-25 13:53:35 | 只看该作者
GU的Net Impact是Gold Chapter,所以相关的工作和实习机会还是很多的。如果你们有志于从事NGO或者sustainability方面的工作,可以发消息给我,我把club president 的email给你

当然,我还是要提醒,NGO很多pay的不高,全职也就4-5万美金,是否值得你花那么多钱来读MBA需要慎重考虑

我也是GT在读学生。我个人觉得在NGO这个领域,GT还是很强的,当然这也和地理优势有关。很多国际组织都会来学校招人,当然越是知名的组织竞争越是厉害。虽然我本人不是做NGO的,但周围不少同学都是因为想做NGO才选择我们学校的。听同学说找NGO的工作和Finance一样,其实是很注重networking的。在DC没事参加点相关会议,积累人迈很关键。如果只是想做小型的NGO,DC有很多,career management也有一些part time可以申,但是NGO现在基本都no paid intern。在GT有non-profit internship fund,如果暑期实习no pay是可以申请的。

谢谢C前辈的回答,收入对我来说并非第一考量,其实我的本意是希望在毕业后回国继续在现在的行业里工作,但在那之前,我倾向于在NGO或者其它NON-Profit组织中工作一段时间,给自己的人生增添一些不一样的内容。本人天资驽钝,各种顶尖投行或咨询类的工作不敢企及,而且也真的并非我所喜爱的方向;虽然没啥本事但好歹有一腔热血,所以想着是否能够在类似NGO的地方找找出路......当然这些都是后话了,首先离开那个悲催的waitlist才是我现在的当务之急啊,呵呵

NGO工作想要找肯定有,不过给你一年4-5万美金,你愿意做吗?

版上上一个GU的答疑帖貌似是五年以前的了,真高兴看到我的dream school又有热心人站出来为大家答疑解惑。虽然我已经在R1被WL了,但对GU的向往依然无丝毫减少。请问Nyer15同学,GU的国际学生在NGO工作的多么?是否也有F1签证带来的麻烦?谢谢!今后还会经常来提问的
-- by 会员 clayland (2011/1/20 10:49:10)

-- by 会员 Cortega (2011/1/20 13:39:02)

-- by 会员 clayland (2011/1/20 14:45:33)

-- by 会员 winniexin123 (2011/1/25 9:49:49)

43#
发表于 2011-1-25 21:44:03 | 只看该作者
GU的Net Impact是Gold Chapter,所以相关的工作和实习机会还是很多的。如果你们有志于从事NGO或者sustainability方面的工作,可以发消息给我,我把club president 的email给你

当然,我还是要提醒,NGO很多pay的不高,全职也就4-5万美金,是否值得你花那么多钱来读MBA需要慎重考虑

(以下恕删)

谢谢C前辈,NGO是我的一个梦想,希望有机会可以真正帮到别人。当然从经济原因考虑不会长期从事,有机会被GU录取的话去找intern或者part time尝试看看吧。已给你站内消息,请查收。
44#
发表于 2011-2-16 14:07:47 | 只看该作者
Hi fellars,

So sweet of you to share info here abt Georgetown. Especially, for us there are not many ways to obtain the employment info on Chinese students!!

I'd like to check with you the school's perspective in real estate for Chinese students. Would it be possible (regarding REALLY REALLY REALLY TOUGH as impossible) to find a job in the asset mgt departments in the banks or investment firms focusing on real estate side? Or find a position in a real estate development co? What are the chances of staying in the U.S with these jobs?

Also, I heard DC is actually not that safe.. Is that true? (thinking of Beijing as the safest city in China as the Capital)

Appreciate for your time. Cheers.
45#
发表于 2011-2-16 17:38:22 | 只看该作者
友情支持,帮顶!
46#
 楼主| 发表于 2011-2-17 06:19:59 | 只看该作者
I aint sure if you want a job here in US or back in China.  For the former one, I can say real estate is not really our focus nor students' major intersts.  But in our class, there are some ppl from real estate development company or PE firm.  Most of them would still consider going back.  And I think we have a real estate club which is a proof that some students have demand for that.  But as I said, it is not a popular section here like finance, consulting, or marketing.  But if you are thinking about real estate sector in IBD, you should catagorize it in finance instead of real estate.  

In term of safety, it is ok in Georgetown neighborhood.  This is the wealthiest neighborhood in DC.  You should feel fine with it.

Hi fellars,

So sweet of you to share info here abt Georgetown. Especially, for us there are not many ways to obtain the employment info on Chinese students!!

I'd like to check with you the school's perspective in real estate for Chinese students. Would it be possible (regarding REALLY REALLY REALLY TOUGH as impossible) to find a job in the asset mgt departments in the banks or investment firms focusing on real estate side? Or find a position in a real estate development co? What are the chances of staying in the U.S with these jobs?

Also, I heard DC is actually not that safe.. Is that true? (thinking of Beijing as the safest city in China as the Capital)

-- by 会员 wooing (2011/2/16 14:07:47)

47#
发表于 2011-2-20 14:38:40 | 只看该作者
我们组两个之前做real estate的美国人都去了citi,一个做IB,一个做corporate finance,另外一个做commercial real estate的想转咨询。美国的大城市都有不安全的区域,但起码GU校区附近还是比较安全的

Hi fellars,

-- by 会员 wooing (2011/2/16 14:07:47)

48#
发表于 2011-2-20 14:52:47 | 只看该作者
georgetown是非常好的学校!
49#
发表于 2011-2-22 22:04:59 | 只看该作者
Thanks to the contribution from nyers and others.

I am R3 Georgetwon applicant who want to devote myself into VC(venture capital) in Asia once completed the programs.
Could you mind sharing some insights abt the career development out of your past and current observation?

Thanks.
50#
 楼主| 发表于 2011-2-22 23:00:30 | 只看该作者
Sorry, I aint from VC/PE industry.  Cant share much about it.  But we have a student who had a deep conversation with a PE guy in Hk.  That PE guy was also a career switcher.  He says it is possible to switch career to VC/PE without previous experience in IBD.  The point is how determined you are since most VC/PE are less-known on the market.  And you have to be "SUPER" prepared cuz unlike bulge brackets, VC/PE may not have so much time and resouces to watch you "grow".  To gain their confidence on hiring you, be a ready-to-fire candidate.

Thanks to the contribution from nyers and others.

I am R3 Georgetwon applicant who want to devote myself into VC(venture capital) in Asia once completed the programs.
Could you mind sharing some insights abt the career development out of your past and current observation?

Thanks.
-- by 会员 odin0716 (2011/2/22 22:04:59)

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

Mark一下! 看一下! 顶楼主! 感谢分享! 快速回复:

近期活动

正在浏览此版块的会员 ()

手机版|ChaseDream|GMT+8, 2024-5-5 17:44
京公网安备11010202008513号 京ICP证101109号 京ICP备12012021号

ChaseDream 论坛

© 2003-2023 ChaseDream.com. All Rights Reserved.

返回顶部