ChaseDream
搜索
返回列表 发新帖
00:00:00

Over 75 percent of the energy produced in France derives from nuclear power, while in Germany it is just over 33 percent.

正确答案: C

更多相关帖子

帖子

好友

积分

ChaseDream

注册时间
2003-03-17
精华
解析
查看: 7592|回复: 8
打印 上一主题 下一主题

疑问:由OG13中两题引出关于while与whereas的用法比较

[复制链接]
跳转到指定楼层
楼主
发表于 2013-1-25 00:39:35 | 只看该作者 回帖奖励 |倒序浏览 |阅读模式
(第一遍发时严重变形,已经修改,请无视下面两楼的回复)

1.第一题中OG在A选项的解释中貌似说while表同时发生的可能性比表对比大,是这样么?是否意味着while与whereas出现时优先选后者?

130. Over 75 percent of the energy produced in France derives from nuclear power, while in Germany it is just over 33 percent.

(A) while in Germany it is just over 33 percent

(B) compared to Germany, which uses just over 33 percent

(C) whereas nuclear power accounts for just over 33 percent of the energy produced in Germany

(D) whereas just over 33 percent of the energy comes from nuclear power in Germany

(E) compared with the energy from nuclear power in Germany, where it is just over 33 percent

A.Whileis somewhat ambiguous, since it might indicate simultaneity rather than contrast; the referent ofitis ambiguous, raising questions about just what two things are being compared.

2.举个例子,第二题中while的表示比较的用法:

134. Recently implemented “shift-work equations” based on studies of the human sleep cycle have reduced sickness, sleeping on the job,and fatigue among shift workers while raising production efficiency in various industries.(已经填入正确答案)

OG解释:the phrasewhile raisingprovides a clear contrast withhave reduced.
收藏收藏2 收藏收藏2
推荐
发表于 2013-1-25 01:53:20 | 只看该作者
1. [from Stacey]
http://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/2011/03/08/breaking-down-a-long-gmatprep-sc-problem
"While" can actually mean two things:
1) while = at the same time as. I practice piano while twiddling my thumbs. (I’m very talented!) I practice piano at the same time as I twiddle my thumbs.
2) while = although, or some sort of contrast. While it’s true that I play piano and know how to twiddle my thumbs, I obviously can’t do both of those things at the same time. That would be impossible!"

2. 這個是從下面帖子找出來的~thank sisi~
http://forum.chasedream.com/GMAT_SC/thread-770110-1-1.html
while, whereas, or although
The use of "while" to show contrast is common and accepted in informal usage. In formal writing, however, "while" should be reserved to show that two or more events occur at the same time. In the following sentence, the two events are occurring simultaneously.

Measurements were taken while the specimen was rotating in the rig.
For comparisons and contrasts, "whereas" and "although" should be used instead of "while."

Positions are logged manually, whereas temperatures and pressures are recorded automatically by the thin-film sensors.
These two events happen in different ways. They do not necessarily occur at the same time.

Although positions are logged manually, temperatures and pressures are recorded automatically by the thin-film sensors.
The meaning of this sentence is similar to the previous one, but it places more emphasis on the differences between the two events.

Indiscriminate use of "while" where "whereas" or "although" would be more appropriate can even result in ambiguity and misunderstanding:
While my cat, Princess, eats quickly, she enjoys a leisurely stroll.
Does she do both at the same time? Using "whereas" or "although" in this sentence would clear up the confusion.

綜合1和2,while既可以表示simultaneity,也可以表示contrast-->前者是informal用法,後者是formal用法;
whereas則只能表示contrast,formal用法
這樣就可以解釋第一題了~當while和whereas都存在的時候,優選whereas,因為while可能會有ambiguity-->但個人認為不絕對,需要對照比較其他選項再判斷
第二題原題給出的選項只使用while,因為while表示contrast是唯一的解釋~

hope that helps and open to discussion~~
沙发
 楼主| 发表于 2013-1-25 00:43:33 | 只看该作者
天哪在发帖框里挺正常的怎么发出来成这样的了?我整理下在楼下重贴下。。
板凳
 楼主| 发表于 2013-1-25 00:47:43 | 只看该作者

1.第一题中OG在A选项的解释中貌似说while表同时发生的可能性比表对比大,是这样么?是否意味着while与whereas出现时优先选后者?

130. Over 75 percent of the energy produced in France derives from nuclear power, while in Germany it is just over 33 percent.

(A) while in Germany it is just over 33 percent

(B) compared to Germany, which uses just over 33 percent

(C) whereas nuclear power accounts for just over 33 percent of the energy produced in Germany

(D) whereas just over 33 percent of the energy comes from nuclear power in Germany

(E) compared with the energy from nuclear power in Germany, where it is just over 33 percent

A.Whileis somewhat ambiguous, since it might indicate simultaneity rather than contrast; the referent ofitis ambiguous, raising questions about just what two things are being compared.

2.举个例子,第二题中while的表示比较的用法:

134. Recently implemented “shift-work equations” based on studies of the human sleep cycle have reduced sickness, sleeping on the job,
(and fatigue among shift workers while raising )production efficiency in various industries.(已经填入正确答案)

OG解释:the phrasewhile raisingprovides a clear contrast withhave reduced.
5#
 楼主| 发表于 2013-1-25 15:21:45 | 只看该作者
谢谢熊猫啊,了解了~
6#
发表于 2013-3-6 12:26:11 | 只看该作者
个人认为OG13-130的C选项优于A选项不完全取决于whereas和while的区别,而是C选项的whereas 后直接接nuclear power与题干中的energy构成平行比较,而A选项中的while后接in Germany破坏了比较结构。

不过这个帖子对whereas和while的比较归纳对我帮助很大!多谢!O(∩_∩)O
7#
发表于 2016-8-24 15:10:45 | 只看该作者
那请问 D whereas just over 33 percentof the energy comes from nuclearpower in Germany为什么不选呢
8#
发表于 2016-8-28 22:39:12 | 只看该作者
JackCai_WUDI 发表于 2016-8-24 15:10
那请问 D whereas just over 33 percentof the energy comes from nuclearpower in Germany为什么不选呢 ...

因为D中的the energy指的就是前文中所说的the energy produced in France,而本意上来说,想表达的是在德国生产的energy,所以选择C,C 中的the energy后面有非谓语动词produced in germany来直接修饰,所以不会有D中的问题。
9#
发表于 2017-8-28 12:46:44 | 只看该作者
我觉得A里的指代很有问题啊
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

Mark一下! 看一下! 顶楼主! 感谢分享! 快速回复:

IESE MBA
近期活动

正在浏览此版块的会员 ()

手机版|ChaseDream|GMT+8, 2024-9-23 15:33
京公网安备11010202008513号 京ICP证101109号 京ICP备12012021号

ChaseDream 论坛

© 2003-2023 ChaseDream.com. All Rights Reserved.

返回顶部