ChaseDream
搜索
返回列表 发新帖
00:00:00

Scientists claim that the discovery of the first authenticated mammal bones in amber could provide important clues of determining, in addition to how, when mammals colonized the islands of the West Indies.

正确答案: E

更多相关帖子

帖子

好友

积分

ChaseDream

注册时间
2003-03-17
精华
解析
查看: 4451|回复: 2
打印 上一主题 下一主题

求教!!谢谢

[复制链接]
跳转到指定楼层
楼主
发表于 2012-10-24 12:19:37 | 只看该作者 回帖奖励 |倒序浏览 |阅读模式
Scientists claim that the discovery of the first authenticated mammal bones in amber could provide important clues of determining, in addition to how, when mammals colonized the islands of the West Indies.

A.of determining, in addition to how, when mammals colonized the islands of the West Indies

B.in the determination of how and when the islands of the West Indies were colonized by mammals

C.to determine how mammals colonized the islands of the West Indies and when they did

D.for determining when the islands of the West Indies were colonized by mammals and how they were

E.for determining how and when mammals colonized the islands of the West Indies

为什么不选C?我觉得指代they也没什么问题啊,而且for determing 才很奇怪吧?
收藏收藏 收藏收藏
沙发
发表于 2012-10-24 12:34:01 | 只看该作者

A.of determining, in addition to how, when mammals colonized the islands of the West Indies

B.in the determination of how and when the islands of the West Indies were colonized by mammals

C.to determine how mammals colonized the islands of the West Indies and when they did

D.for determining when the islands of the West Indies were colonized by mammals and how they were

E.for determining how and when mammals colonized the islands of the West Indies

为什么不选C?我觉得指代they也没什么问题啊,而且for determing 才很奇怪吧?
-- by 会员 wellmichelle (2012/10/24 12:19:37)

here u get two split: to vs for

also C is much wordier than E , the reference is Ok here

regarding the difference between to and for

quote:

in general, the modifier “to + verb” is used to signal the goal or purpose of an action/statement, while “for + verbing” conveys the idea that the action is, in some generic way, oriented toward the process of “verbing”.

in many instances, therefore, both constructions are fine. for instance:
i need to get a new pair of shoes to run --> this sentence implies that “to run” is the ultimate goal (which, presumably, hasn't yet been achieved). in other words, according to this wording, i can't run until i get a new pair of shoes; therefore, “to run” is the ultimate goal or purpose of getting a new pair of shoes.

i need to get a new pair of shoes for running --> this sentence just means that i need to get a new pair of running shoes (= shoes whose purpose is oriented toward the general process of running). this sentence is different, in the sense that it doesn't portray the act of running some sort of remote goal or purpose that hasn't yet been achieved; it merely identifies the reason why i'm getting the shoes.

here's a pair of examples that is a little more like the sentence here:

our company needs to create a new position to manage shipments --> here, “to manage shipments” is a remote goal that has not yet been achieved; in other words, our company probably doesn't even have a shipping and receiving department yet. therefore, we need to establish a new position with that ultimate goal.

our company needs to create a new position for managing shipments --> here, “managing shipments” is just stated as a general purpose; it's probably something that our company already does, but, for some reason, it has now become incumbent upon us to create a separate department for it.

the sentence makes more sense for using "for" here
板凳
发表于 2021-1-16 23:22:57 | 只看该作者
DUKB24 发表于 2012-10-24 12:34
Scientists claim that the discovery of the first authenticated mammal bones in amber could provid ...

哇!说的太好啦。点个赞!
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

Mark一下! 看一下! 顶楼主! 感谢分享! 快速回复:

IESE MBA
近期活动

正在浏览此版块的会员 ()

手机版|ChaseDream|GMT+8, 2024-9-22 12:36
京公网安备11010202008513号 京ICP证101109号 京ICP备12012021号

ChaseDream 论坛

© 2003-2023 ChaseDream.com. All Rights Reserved.

返回顶部