ChaseDream
搜索
返回列表 发新帖
查看: 7902|回复: 9
打印 上一主题 下一主题

关于because of后面接的成分问题,快考试了,跪着求趴着求躺着求NN解答!!!!!

[复制链接]
跳转到指定楼层
楼主
发表于 2012-10-7 17:07:33 | 只看该作者 回帖奖励 |倒序浏览 |阅读模式
Prep08上说:
Because of
后只能加简单的名词结构。

GWD6-Q30
对:Though subject to the same wild-animal control efforts that killed off almost all the wolves in North America over the past century, the coyote, because of its amazing ability( to adapt to the presence of humans), has been able to expand its range into Alaska and Central America.

GWD3-Q22
对:Because of a law passed in 1933 making it a crime punishable by imprisonment for a United States citizen to holdgold in the form of bullion or coins,) immigrants found that on arrival in the United States they had to surrender all of the gold they had brought with them.

这两道题目是说because of后面接一个有其他的成分修饰的核心名词的时候,这个Noun也算是简单名词吗?

GWD-3-Q11
错:Retailers reported moderate gains in their November sales,as much because of their sales (of a year earlier being so bad) as that shoppers were getting a head start on buying their holiday gifts.(这个选项有其他的错误,姑且忽略。想问的是为什么because of 错?)

另外,如果前一个问题正确(即有其他成分修饰的时候是简单名词),那么为什么prep08里面说GWD-3-Q11这个because of的用法不对?核心名词不是只有sales吗?

另外一题里”The reason offshore oil drilling presents a considerably environmental risk is because of chronic low-level leaking and the routine discharge of drilling mud and mineral salts.“ 的because of有没有问题?两个并列的名词算不算简单名词?

收藏收藏1 收藏收藏1
沙发
 楼主| 发表于 2012-10-7 17:19:21 | 只看该作者
自己顶一下~~希望能得到解答·~~
板凳
发表于 2012-10-7 17:35:26 | 只看该作者
because of 的使用就是要求接简单名词,但是可以有修饰语的,但是because of sth. doing (because of doing)肯定是不如because从句的。但是例外就是law+v-ing这条规律咱都知道,所以使用law+because of doing没问题。同时,还有一个区别就是because of后面这个东西应该是直接原因,而对于because后面可以加繁杂的句子,且不必是造成结果的直接原因。
1题,使用没问题
2题,使用没问题,因为law的原因
3题,使用because好于because of sth doing,而且这道题貌似是as much because...as because...的平行结构
4题,because of后面细看结构也是很复杂,并且和开头的the reason重复,使用冗余
地板
发表于 2012-10-7 17:43:23 | 只看该作者
1.前两个句子不定式和分词结构都是修饰核心名词,而because of their sales (of a year earlier being so bad),核心词后面结构复杂,表达累赘。
2.the reason... is because 没有这种表达方式。可以说the reason is that...
5#
 楼主| 发表于 2012-10-7 18:39:42 | 只看该作者
第二个我明白了,是说具体阐明法律条文的时候用doing。
但是第一个和后面两个依然矛盾啊,
because of its amazingability( to adapt to the presence of humans)和 becauseoftheir sales(of a year earlier being so bad)到底区别在哪里?为什么第一个不复杂而第二个就复杂了?

到底后面的这个核心名词要如何加以修饰才正确呢?
6#
 楼主| 发表于 2012-10-7 18:42:34 | 只看该作者
dudu是说核心词如果被不定式和分词修饰就正确?
那是是只能是 because of + 核心词(修饰成分),而不能是because of + (adj)核心词?

还有就是Because of +核心词(of...)对不对?

7#
发表于 2012-10-7 21:22:20 | 只看该作者
第二个我明白了,是说具体阐明法律条文的时候用doing。
但是第一个和后面两个依然矛盾啊,
because of its amazingability( to adapt to the presence of humans)和 becauseoftheir sales(of a year earlier being so bad)到底区别在哪里?为什么第一个不复杂而第二个就复杂了?

到底后面的这个核心名词要如何加以修饰才正确呢?
-- by 会员 hz1101 (2012/10/7 18:39:42)

because of bad sales   can be correct

you should use the context and more exercise to help you set up the ability to grasp the intended core meaning that the sentence is trying to convey

u r saying that the bad sales are responsible for the phenomenon

not the sales

quote:

if the focus of the construction is the ACTION, then you must use the POSSESSIVE form for the noun/pronoun preceding the "-ing" participle. since that's fatally awkward to say in words, i'll provide an example:

everyone laughed at me accidentally walking into the girls' bathroom --> WRONG. sorry. this sentence would actually mean that everyone laughed at me as they were walking into the girls' bathroom. (or everyone laughed at me, not my action!)

everyone laughed at my accidentally walking into the girls' bathroom --> CORRECT, because it's the action (my walking into the bathroom, not really me) that they're laughing at.

incidentally, if the focus of the construction is the NOUN (or pronoun) itself, then you don't use a possessive. for instance:

i saw him walking down the street --> correct, because it was him i saw, not his walking action.
this sentence is, however, ambiguous, because either he or i may have been the one walking down the street.

i saw his walking down the street----- wouldn't be incorrect, but it would be a bit strange, unless i'm a modeling scout who actually analyzes the gait of random strangers as they walk down the street.

reading the above statements more closely will enable you to boil down such complex issue
8#
发表于 2019-11-3 13:06:57 | 只看该作者
顶楼主!               
9#
发表于 2022-2-2 22:55:25 | 只看该作者
感谢分享!               
10#
发表于 2022-10-8 18:22:45 | 只看该作者
感谢!
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

Mark一下! 看一下! 顶楼主! 感谢分享! 快速回复:

IESE MBA
近期活动

正在浏览此版块的会员 ()

手机版|ChaseDream|GMT+8, 2024-5-16 07:11
京公网安备11010202008513号 京ICP证101109号 京ICP备12012021号

ChaseDream 论坛

© 2003-2023 ChaseDream.com. All Rights Reserved.

返回顶部