ChaseDream
搜索
返回列表 发新帖
00:00:00

Research during the past several decades on the nature of language and the processes that produce and make it understandable has revealed great complexity instead of underlying simplicity.

正确答案: C

相关帖子

更多...

更多相关帖子

帖子

好友

积分

ChaseDream

注册时间
2003-03-17
精华
解析
查看: 30762|回复: 60
打印 上一主题 下一主题

问道TN-13的语法题,google都木有找到解释啊!求baby姐姐各路NN

[复制链接]
跳转到指定楼层
楼主
发表于 2012-5-31 22:31:39 | 只看该作者 回帖奖励 |倒序浏览 |阅读模式
Research during the past several decades on the nature of language and the processes that produce and make it understandable has revealed great complexity instead of underlying simplicity.
(A) that produce and make it understandable has revealed great complexity instead of underlying simplicity
(B) of producing and understanding it have revealed not underlying simplicity but great complexity
(C) by which it is produced and understood has revealed not underlying simplicity but great complexity
(D) by which it is produced and understood have revealed great complexity rather than underlying simplicity
(E) by which one produces and understands it have revealed great complexity instead of underlying simplicity

可是A中produce后缺少宾语啊!如果认为与make共用it作其宾语,我认为是不可以的。因为it后面还有understandable,要共用,这个understandable总得也要共用吧?但意思是荒谬的。我认为A是错的,当时模考我选了C
但是仔细一想,
C选项的逻辑意思是错误的the language is understood by process
但是我还是找不出选A的理由
收藏收藏24 收藏收藏24
推荐
发表于 2012-6-1 04:06:26 | 只看该作者
My take on this question:
(We are already down to A and C)

Split #1. "the processes that produce ..."  VS.  "the processes by which it is produced ..."

(1) "the processes that produce ..." is logically sound

Ask yourself: does it make sense to say "the processes produce the language" and "the processes make it understandable"?

Well, I ask this question because this question is important to consider. Only if the answer is "yes", the usage of "the processes that produce ..." is justified.
An example from Ron:
INCORRECT: The restaurant that we ate last Friday was crowded.  
(This sentence literally says that "we ate the restaurant" -oh my gosh!!!!)
CORRECT: The restaurant at which we ate last Friday was crowded.

I mentioned the above example because I want to say: when we use essential noun modifier "something that bla bla", we should make sure it is EITHER:
(a) "something" is the subject or object of the "that clause"

OR
(b) "something" is this kind of words: finding, opinion, belief, suggestion, etc. and "that bla bla" is to explain "something" in a clause.                    --However, this situation does not apply here.

So, back to this question, the answer is "yes".
"the processes" can be the subject.    i.e. we can say "the processes produce the language"
Therefore, the usage in A is justified.

(2) potential ambiguity in "the processes by which it is produced"

Consider the following two sentences. Does each of these two sentences make logical sense?
(a) Ancient Chinese produced the language by this process.
(b) This process produced the language.

As we discussed above, (b) makes logical sense.
Look at (a). It also makes sense, right? Using some process, people can produce a language.

So what I mean is:
if you, as a reader, see a sentence written as "the processes by which the language is produced", you may have two logically sound interpretations:
(a) some people (or nationality or whatever) produced the language by the processes
(b) the processes produced the language
So you CANNOT tell who/what produced the language!

--Let me extend beyond this question.
I hear a lot of people say "GMAT prefers active voice to passive voice". Even a GMAT instructor says this in explaining this question. (http://www.beatthegmat.com/nature-of-language-t91077-15.html)
But I want to say: BE CAREFUL!!! Do not AUTOMATICALLY choose the active voice answer choice.
We should understand WHY the particular voice is preferred in the GIVEN situation.
This example illustrates the potential ambiguity embedded in the passive voice. In fact, MGMAT SC Guide has a wonderful example:
INCORRECT: The dealer was asked to sell a painting by Picasso.
Is it "a painting by Picasso" or "the dealer was asked by Picasso"? Ambiguous!
If you change the sentence to active voice, saying "The boss asked the dealer to sell a painting by Picasso." then the ambiguity issue is perfectly resolved.
See? Same logic applies here. "the processes by which it is produced" is ambiguous.

(A) that produce and make it understandable has revealed great complexity instead of underlying simplicity
(B) of producing and understanding it have revealed not underlying simplicity but great complexity
(C) by which it is produced and understood has revealed not underlying simplicity but great complexity
(D) by which it is produced and understood have revealed great complexity rather than underlying simplicity
(E) by which one produces and understands it have revealed great complexity instead of underlying simplicity

可是A中produce后缺少宾语啊!如果认为与make共用it作其宾语,我认为是不可以的。因为it后面还有understandable,要共用,这个understandable总得也要共用吧?但意思是荒谬的。我认为A是错的,当时模考我选了C
但是仔细一想,
但是我还是找不出选A的理由
-- by 会员 DUKB24 (2012/5/31 22:31:39)

推荐
发表于 2012-6-1 15:15:45 | 只看该作者
baby姐的解释太精辟了哈,赞一个!
语感还是要多多培养~~
沙发
 楼主| 发表于 2012-5-31 23:40:42 | 只看该作者
睡前顶一个
板凳
发表于 2012-5-31 23:52:45 | 只看该作者
我不会。。。我猜的是produce后面的it省略了……
不应该是共用。。。
我主要是来帮高富帅顶一下帖子的
地板
发表于 2012-5-31 23:57:52 | 只看该作者
understandable为什么总得也要共用??
6#
发表于 2012-6-1 04:28:06 | 只看该作者
Split #2. "has revealed great complexity instead of underlying simplicity" VS. "has revealed not underlying simplicity but great complexity"

意思上有区别哦,可能对我们non-native speakers来说不大容易发现。以下是我的感觉,不太100%确认,不过还是比较有把握的。

想象一个“寻宝”游戏吧,比如主持人让你在一间屋子里寻找一颗珍珠,结果你找到目标了,主持人说“恭喜你找到了!” 但你失望地发现:目标并不是“珍珠”,而是以假乱真的黄豆你可以说:
I have found a bean instead of a pearl.
好,回顾一下这句话的逻辑:你本来以为你将要找到a pearl,你的目标也是a pearl,结果当你历尽千辛万苦之后,你unexpectedly发现——
找到的目标居然不是a pearl而是a bean ("a bean instead of a pearl")

再换一个情景哈。现在新的游戏开始,主持人对你说:“这间屋子里有一颗珍珠和一颗黄豆,你的任务是找到它俩”
你使劲儿找啊找......时间到啦!你只找到了a bean,没有找到a pearl. 你说:
I have found not a pearl but a bean.
好了,这句话的逻辑,就是parallelism,相当于以下两个意思的叠加:
(a) I have not found a pearl.
AND
(b) I have found a bean.
那么,到底是否房间里确实存在a pearl呢?你不能回答,你只能说你没有找到而已。

Back to this question.
(C)的意思,就是我刚才的第2个场景。"has revealed not underlying simplicity but great complexity" 就说"underlying simplicity"完全可能是存在的(是"underlying"),只是那研究has not revealed.
这显然不是作者的本意。作者的本意是"instead of".

但是仔细一想,
但是我还是找不出选A的理由
-- by 会员 DUKB24 (2012/5/31 22:31:39)

7#
 楼主| 发表于 2012-6-1 12:52:03 | 只看该作者
baby姐姐的第二解释好精确!服了!懂了,谢谢姐姐
9#
发表于 2012-6-1 23:33:34 | 只看该作者
baby姐姐好细心~~赞!
哎呀以后高富帅发帖我必须来顶呀 收获多多
10#
 楼主| 发表于 2012-6-1 23:44:33 | 只看该作者
baby姐姐好细心~~赞!
哎呀以后高富帅发帖我必须来顶呀 收获多多
-- by 会员 晨依Jacqueline (2012/6/1 23:33:34)

晨依一顶baby姐姐就来了哈哈
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

Mark一下! 看一下! 顶楼主! 感谢分享! 快速回复:

手机版|ChaseDream|GMT+8, 2024-4-23 20:44
京公网安备11010202008513号 京ICP证101109号 京ICP备12012021号

ChaseDream 论坛

© 2003-2023 ChaseDream.com. All Rights Reserved.

返回顶部