ChaseDream
搜索
12下一页
返回列表 发新帖
00:00:00

Shoppers in sporting goods stores, unlike in department stores, do very little impulse shopping, not buying a pair of skis and a boomerang when they come in for a basketball, but they leave with a basketball only.

正确答案: D

更多相关帖子

帖子

好友

积分

ChaseDream

注册时间
2003-03-17
精华
解析
查看: 15231|回复: 17

纠结好久求解 Prep08-Q213 中 only的用法

[复制链接]
发表于 2012-2-10 21:22:40 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
213.(GWD-3-Q34)
Shoppers in sporting goods stores, unlike in department stores, do very little impulse shopping, not buying a pair of skis and a boomerang when they come in for a basketball, but they leave with a basketball only

A.in department stores, do very little impulse shopping, not buying a pair of skis and a boomerang when they come in for a basketball, but they leave with a basketball only

B.in department stores, shop impulsively very little; someone who comes in for a basketball will leave with a basketball only and not also buy a pair of skis and a boomerang as well

C.those in department stores, do very little impulse shopping, do not buy a pair of skis and a boomerang when they come in for a basketball, but leave with only a basketball

D.those in department stores, do very little impulse shopping; someone who comes in for a basketball will leave with a basketball only and not buy a pair of skis and a boomerang as well(D)

E.department stores, shop impulsively very little; someone will not buy a pair of skis and a boomerang when they come in for a basketball but will leave with only a basketball

考点分析里面写着:副词的修饰位置:even修饰比较级时,放在比较级之前。ever放在助动词之后。onlyfirst放在被强调的成分之前alone放在被强调的成分之后。

我查了字典,only的词性有两个主要词性,作adj.表示仅有的,唯一的,
e.g.: She's their only daughter.
作adv.表示只,只有,仅,
e.g.: There are only a limited number of tickets available.
e.g.: The bar is for members only.

笔记里面说:leave with only a basketball
强调的是带走的是一个篮球,而不是两个或者更多,而leave with a basketball only强调的是带走的只是篮球,这个我也理解,但是正确选项
D说这里Onlyadj.修饰basketball 怎么这里的这个only就是adj了?我觉得它更应该是修饰leave的adv.呀!!!又看到笔记上写的那个only作副词的时候是放在修饰前面的,那这里leave with a basketball only的only放在最后那是神马?是adv.还是adj.???到底修饰谁?是a basketball,还是with a basketball,还是leave???
 楼主| 发表于 2012-2-10 21:57:51 | 显示全部楼层
还有OG12-Q5 也出了关于only的用法:
Diabetes, together with its serious complications,ranks as the nation’s third leading cause of death,surpassed only by heart disease and cancer.

(A) ranks as the nation’s third leading cause of death, surpassed only
(B) rank as the nation’s third leading cause of death, only surpassed
(C) has the rank of the nation’s third leading cause of death, only surpassed
(D) are the nation’s third leading causes of death, surpassed only
(E) have been ranked as the nation’s third leading causes of death, only surpassed

求大家帮忙啊~~感谢~~
 楼主| 发表于 2012-2-11 15:14:00 | 显示全部楼层
顶呀顶~
发表于 2012-2-11 16:09:11 | 显示全部楼层
不知道我能不能帮你,反正我看到什么  “副词的修饰位置:even修饰比较级时,放在比较级之前。ever放在助动词之后。onlyfirst放在被强调的成分之前alone放在被强调的成分之后。”  我也晕了,那么一堆语法名词(还是中文的)对我来说太抽象........要不从意思上理解吧

"to leave with a basketball only"  sounds good
"to leave with only a basketball"  sounds awkward, but may be fine.  I mean, it cannot be a serious error. As Ron always says, GMAT writers try to offer "bonus" to the test takers with extraordinary linguistic acumen, making them easier to cross off an incorrect choice simply by spotting an "awkwardness" within it.  As non-native speakers, we do not need to worry too much about every nitty-gritty of the English language.  We can still correctly solve an SC problem based on other easier-to-identify errors within the incorrect choices.

But in your another example, here comes a real issue....
"Diabetes is surpassed only by cancer. "       This is correct. No problem.

"Diabetes is only surpassed by cancer. "   Hmm....
Let's see. I can write sentence like
"Diabetes is caused by cancer."       ---Really? I don't believe it!
"Diabetes is triggered by cancer."    ---same as above
"Diabetes is aggravated by cancer. "    ----Possible... If getting cancer makes diabetic patients worse.
"Diabetes is proved by cancer. "        ----What?@@
"Diabetes is studied by cancer. "  ---Are you crazy?  Do you mean there is a scientist named "cancer" who studies diabetes?
....I can replace "surpassed" with any verb (in past participle form) that comes into my mind, although some of the words make ludicrous sentences

Okay, so here's what I mean:

When you say, "Diabetes is only surpassed by cancer. "
You mean, ONLY "surpassed" - not "caused", not "triggered", not "aggravated", not "proved", ....

Got it?
So, we must say "Diabetes is surpassed only by cancer"; we cannot say "Diabetes is only surpassed by cancer".

213.(GWD-3-Q34)
Shoppers in sporting goods stores, unlike in department stores, do very little impulse shopping, not buying a pair of skis and a boomerang when they come in for a basketball, but they leave with a basketball only

A.in department stores, do very little impulse shopping, not buying a pair of skis and a boomerang when they come in for a basketball, but they leave with a basketball only

B.in department stores, shop impulsively very little; someone who comes in for a basketball will leave with a basketball only and not also buy a pair of skis and a boomerang as well

C.those in department stores, do very little impulse shopping, do not buy a pair of skis and a boomerang when they come in for a basketball, but leave with only a basketball

D.those in department stores, do very little impulse shopping; someone who comes in for a basketball will leave with a basketball only and not buy a pair of skis and a boomerang as well(D)

E.department stores, shop impulsively very little; someone will not buy a pair of skis and a boomerang when they come in for a basketball but will leave with only a basketball

考点分析里面写着:副词的修饰位置:even修饰比较级时,放在比较级之前。ever放在助动词之后。onlyfirst放在被强调的成分之前alone放在被强调的成分之后。

我查了字典,only的词性有两个主要词性,作adj.表示仅有的,唯一的,
e.g.: She's their only daughter.
作adv.表示只,只有,仅,
e.g.: There are only a limited number of tickets available.
e.g.: The bar is for members only.

笔记里面说:leave with only a basketball
强调的是带走的是一个篮球,而不是两个或者更多,而leave with a basketball only强调的是带走的只是篮球,这个我也理解,但是正确选项
D说这里Onlyadj.修饰basketball 怎么这里的这个only就是adj了?我觉得它更应该是修饰leave的adv.呀!!!又看到笔记上写的那个only作副词的时候是放在修饰前面的,那这里leave with a basketball only的only放在最后那是神马?是adv.还是adj.???到底修饰谁?是a basketball,还是with a basketball,还是leave???
-- by 会员 teddybearj4 (2012/2/10 21:22:40)

楼主| 发表于 2012-2-11 16:30:15 | 显示全部楼层
baby姐举得这些例句太可爱了~本来对OG那道题好像还有点一知半解,现在彻底明白了~

"Diabetes is onlysurpassed by cancer. "   Hmm....
Let's see. I can write sentence like
"Diabetes is caused by cancer."       ---Really? I don't believe it!
"Diabetes is triggered by cancer."    ---same as above
"Diabetes is aggravated by cancer. "    ----Possible... If getting cancer makes diabetic patients worse.
"Diabetes is proved by cancer. "        ----What?@@
"Diabetes is studied by cancer. "  ---Are you crazy?  Do you mean there is a scientist named "cancer" who studies diabetes?
....I can replace "surpassed" with any verb (in past participle form) that comes into my mind, although some of the words make ludicrous sentences

Okay, so here's what I mean:

When you say, "Diabetes is onlysurpassed by cancer. "
You mean, ONLY "surpassed" - not "caused", not "triggered", not "aggravated", not "proved", ....

Got it?
So, we must say "Diabetes is surpassed only by cancer"; we cannot say "Diabetes is only surpassed by cancer".

-- by 会员 babybearmm (2012/2/11 16:09:11)

楼主| 发表于 2012-2-11 16:35:02 | 显示全部楼层
不过觉得Prep那道题,特别是笔记上的解释特别诡异啊~
一边说only要放在修饰对象前面,一边又解释only应该放在句尾,
一边说only和一长串adv.修饰对象的时候放置的位置,一边又解释only修饰basketball~
那修饰basketball不就是adj.麽?

弄得糊里糊涂的~
发表于 2013-7-2 20:48:09 | 显示全部楼层
谢谢谢谢
发表于 2013-7-11 02:10:46 | 显示全部楼层
babybearmm 发表于 2012-2-11 16:09
不知道我能不能帮你,反正我看到什么  “副词的修饰位置:even修饰比较级时,放在比较级之前。ever放 ...

baby姐讲得很透彻

only、first放在被强调的成分之前

You only love me 你只爱我   = cancer only surpass X  =X is only surpassed by cancer
Only you love me 只有你爱我  = Only cancer surpass X  =X is surpassed only by cancer

You see.  Only always placed right before the emphasized part.

另外, will leave (with a basketball ) only, only 作为adv. 修饰leave

Source: http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/only
After 200 years of preachment the following observations may be made: the position of only in standard spoken English is not fixed, since ambiguity is avoided through sentence stress; in casual prose that keeps close to the rhythms of speech only is often placed where it would be in speech; and in edited and more formal prose only tends to be placed immediately before the word or words it modifies.
发表于 2014-9-4 11:20:43 | 显示全部楼层
看过,谢谢baby,谢谢lZ~~~~
发表于 2019-2-14 09:28:31 | 显示全部楼层
"Diabetes is only surpassed by cancer. "   这个例句似乎表达了是说:diabetes的唯一用处就是被超越,显然不合逻辑
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

Mark一下! 看一下! 顶楼主! 感谢分享! 快速回复:

手机版|ChaseDream|GMT+8, 2024-3-29 16:08
京公网安备11010202008513号 京ICP证101109号 京ICP备12012021号

ChaseDream 论坛

© 2003-2023 ChaseDream.com. All Rights Reserved.

返回顶部