返回列表 发新帖
楼主: rongdongc
打印 上一主题 下一主题

[推荐]PHD是否值得?且看毕业后能赚多少

[复制链接]
11#
发表于 2004-7-31 23:36:00 | 只看该作者
To RenZhen:
           From your words we can see you have a much more deeper thinking than most of us, after all you have so much experiences. What you wrote on why you want to move into academic field from industry, is very like a Statement of Purpose.
           I can see you have a strategic perspective that most of us do not have or, very little/unclear.
12#
发表于 2004-8-3 17:47:00 | 只看该作者
Thanks for your comments. As I am a bit old, it is natural that I have been thinking more than do most of the people. I indicated in my early post that I was not very bright person but worked hard. One thing I forgot mentioning is that strategy plays an essential role in my career development and even in my life. How can you run faster than normally? Only working hard is not enough. You should able to conduct strategic thinking to make analysis on the basis of information available, and define and implement your strategy. That is also the reason why I did not continue on finance, which was the major of my MBA.
13#
发表于 2004-8-6 09:49:00 | 只看该作者
you are doing great.
14#
发表于 2004-8-6 13:05:00 | 只看该作者

To RenZhen,

I am still not quite sure about what strategy study is. Is it kind of like operation science? For example, in terms of math, does it involve using mathematical programming to find optimal (say minimum cost) solutions?

Thanks!!!

15#
发表于 2004-8-6 16:16:00 | 只看该作者

Hi Lemon_tea,

There are two approaches on strategy research: 1) from perspective of organizational behavior, and 2) of quantitative methods, namely, statisitcs and mathmetical models. For example, what strategy is better for a developing country - to welcome foreign investment or to have self-strength? You can easily give some examples for both cases like Singapore and Thailand for the first and Sri Lanka for the second. It does not make sense if you conclude one is preferable to the other on the basis of examples you listed. In fact, you should use statistical methods to indicate that your conclusion is more than 95% chance true. In other words, less than 5%  chance so because of by chance. It would be perfect if you can build a mathematical model to illustrate what you find out. This type of researches are the most appreciated in the academic world as mathmetics is the most logic language. Or you can go another direction from the organizational behavior perspective. For instance, the research topic can be whether the company performs well if the CEO is paid more than the industry average? Actually you still cannot avoid statistical methods but pay more attention to the sociology, psychology, and politics. Hope my reply answers your question.

16#
发表于 2004-8-6 19:18:00 | 只看该作者

Thanks for your reply! I understand the subject much better now through your explanation! You are awesome!

17#
发表于 2004-8-22 13:39:00 | 只看该作者

RenZhen, I like your choice in life.

我也准备攻读Strategy,在国内文科,数学统计学得一般,后来在CUHK( 香港中文大学)读了个M.PHIL in Marketing,回国来在各行业都干了干,做到上市公司的CFO,也开过自己的咨询公司,但实在讨厌国内的商业环境,准备弃商读PHD, 因为PHD一直是我的梦想,以前是一直没有钱。

在国内本科时根本就没学过Metholodgy,也不喜欢marketing的各种模型,离商业实践实在太远;加上我在国内Corporate Finance, 我觉得可能还是Strategy容易生存,也符合我的兴趣。你能推荐一些学校吗?好像top 25里专门设Strategy的比较少,你能推荐一些学校吗?sunli@excite.com

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

Mark一下! 看一下! 顶楼主! 感谢分享! 快速回复:

近期活动

正在浏览此版块的会员 ()

手机版|ChaseDream|GMT+8, 2024-4-25 23:38
京公网安备11010202008513号 京ICP证101109号 京ICP备12012021号

ChaseDream 论坛

© 2003-2023 ChaseDream.com. All Rights Reserved.

返回顶部