搜索
返回列表 发新帖
楼主: dxwei2008

[SC总结] 一个语法考点的总结!(Like和As)

[精华] [复制链接]
发表于 2004-5-2 06:44:00 | 显示全部楼层

好东东,顶顶...dxwei2008 马到成功!

发表于 2004-9-18 09:35:00 | 显示全部楼层

i get  a lot from this topic,but i still have one question,please see this one and i will be appreciated if anyone can response!

og-91

Like many self-taught artists, Perle Hessing did not begin to paint until she was well into middle age.

(A)     Like

(B)     As have

(C)     Just as with

(D)     Just like (wordy)

(E)     As did

Choices B and E, which replace A's prepositional phrase with clauses introduced by as, use auxiliary verbs that cannot properly be completed by any part of the verb phrase in the main clause: neither have ... did not begin nor did... did not begin is logically or grammatically sound.

we all know that the right answer is a,but you can see e also comform to the principle and i can not know why did... did not begin is logically or grammatically sound.?

发表于 2004-9-18 10:26:00 | 显示全部楼层

白勇的解释: like+名词表比较,强调同一类事物在某方面具有相似性; as+句子表比较,as从句强调动作的相似性.我觉得用他这个原则解题比较快,思路也很顺.

楼上,OG解释里不说的很清楚嘛,无论是did...did not还是have...did not都不对称嘛.

发表于 2004-9-20 04:29:00 | 显示全部楼层
i see ,if did.....did 对称,did not ....did not 对称,is that right?
发表于 2004-11-1 00:11:00 | 显示全部楼层

I have seen the link posted above. In most of the cases, the analysis in the posts is right. However, there are some exceptions.

The first may have nothing to do with GMAT. I just want to say, that in informal English, "like" is often used as a conjunction to replace "as" in sentences. The most famous use of "like" as a conjunction was in the 1950s slogan for Winston Cigarettes:  "Winston tastes good, like a cigarette should." Such usage was also used by Churchill in informal speech:  "We are overrun by them, like the Australians are by rabbits."

The second I need to add some comments to is:

Sometimes, "as" introduces a noun phrase with no following verb. When it does, it does not signify a qualitative comparison, but rather may:

a) indicate a role being played.  "They fell on the supplies as men starving" means that they were actually starving men; in "They fell on the supplies like men starving", one is *comparing* them to starving men.  "You're acting as a fool" might be appropriate if you obtained the job of court jester; "You're acting like a fool" expresses the more usual meaning.

b) introduce examples.  ("Some animals, as the fox and the squirrel, have bushy tails.")  "Such as" and "like" are more common in this use.

c) be short for "as ... as":  "He's deaf as a post" means "He's as deaf as a post" (a quantitative comparison).

Question for everybody to think:

1) "like" may work as a conjunction in informal English.

2) "like" may work like a conjunction in informal English.

Are both of these sentences right?

[此贴子已经被作者于2004-11-1 0:11:47编辑过]
发表于 2004-11-1 10:06:00 | 显示全部楼层

谢谢,再补充一些similar like/unlike as/just as 的用法

I.>similar to表示两个事物的物理属性或内容相似(不表示动作相似),只能连接两个事物,且GMAT中不用于句首(这个时候,即使后面的句子也是说明两个事物的属性的,也不如like好,所以similar to放在句首,除非没有like选项,否则都是错的)

II.>like表示后接名词和句子主语的动作是一样的,没有暗示两物必然的物理属性或内容的相似,当然作为比较结构,两物要有可比性
III.>just as/as表示前后句子的动作有相似的结果或目的(注意动作不一定相同),当然如果just as/as引导的从句中用do代替了后面的动作,那么动作是相同的。

IV.>当然最重要的,前两者分别是形容词短语/介词短语,后接名词成分,第三者做连词用,要组成完整的句子。

[此贴子已经被作者于2004-11-1 10:07:27编辑过]
发表于 2004-11-1 11:43:00 | 显示全部楼层
以下是引用携隐在2004-9-18 10:26:00的发言:

白勇的解释: like+名词表比较,强调同一类事物在某方面具有相似性; as+句子表比较,as从句强调动作的相似性.我觉得用他这个原则解题比较快,思路也很顺.

楼上,OG解释里不说的很清楚嘛,无论是did...did not还是have...did not都不对称嘛.

偶觉得这是一般规则,在GMAT中经常出现特例,记得GWD上面就出现like表达的并不是同一类事物的比较;在出现特例的情况下,没有最好的,只有相对好的,逻辑至上;

[此贴子已经被作者于2004-11-1 11:45:25编辑过]
发表于 2004-11-16 09:50:00 | 显示全部楼层

Like many self-taught artists, Perle Hessing did not begin to paint until she was well into middle age.

这里想问一下,如果把like many self-taught artists该成As many self-taught aritists do这样对不对?

或者是要改成As many self-taught artists do not, ???

请nn指教。

[此贴子已经被作者于2004-11-16 9:51:21编辑过]
发表于 2004-11-16 12:15:00 | 显示全部楼层

hougang,你自己已经提出问题的关键了。OG的解释说,无论是did还是did not都无法表达与后面句子对称的意思。原文想表达的是两个动作的共同类似,用as却只能表达其中一个动作的类似。所以这里只能用like。

发表于 2004-12-19 21:46:00 | 显示全部楼层

请问携隐mm这里说的两个动作,是指划线的两个动作吗?? begin to paint until she was well into middle age.

或者你的意思是:如果后面的是否定,那么前面就不能用as somebody did.

如果这样的话,那么下面这到题目选D,这个D选项到底是修饰前面,还是修饰后面啊??

Because young children do not organize their attention or perceptions systematically, like adults, they may notice and remember details that their elders ignore.
(A) like adults
(B) unlike an adult
(C) as adults
(D) as adults do
(E) as an adult

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

Mark一下! 看一下! 顶楼主! 感谢分享! 快速回复:

手机版|ChaseDream|GMT+8, 2024-3-29 17:21
京公网安备11010202008513号 京ICP证101109号 京ICP备12012021号

ChaseDream 论坛

© 2003-2023 ChaseDream.com. All Rights Reserved.

返回顶部