搜索
返回列表 发新帖
楼主: 卮言浅夏
打印 上一主题 下一主题

比较中的助动词补出问题 求NN们帮助~~~~~~~~~~~版主大NN帮助~~~~~~~~~

[复制链接]
11#
发表于 2010-6-21 12:09:42 | 只看该作者
Oops, 不好意思, 没有看到有留言, 所以回复晚了. 我想了下这几题,我觉得就像你说的,他们都是比较不同时间下blah blah.

IMO, we can rephrase the last sentence so that it reads, "Halley's Comet caused such a worldwide sensation in no other historical sighting as it did in its return of 1910."

By the same token, we can rewrite the 2nd sentence and omit the words in the bracket so that it reads,

"Employment costs rose 2.8 percent in the 12months that ended in September , slightly
less than [they  did] in the year that ended in the previous quarter."

I based my reasoning on OG11-4,
"A survey by the National Council of Churches showed that in 1986 there were 20,736 female ministers, almost 9 percent of the nation's clergy,
twice as much as 1977."
A) twice as much as 1977
OG explains that A) is incorrect because it lacks "in" before 1977.

Notice, in all examples above, the two events happened at the same "time", meaning that they take the same verb tense.
For instance, "caused" and "did", and "rose" and "did". Because of this reason, we can choose to omit the helping verb such as "did". In fact, doing so is preferred because it creates concise sentences.

However, I don't think that we can apply the same principle to the 1st and 3rd sentences,
"Today, because of improvement of agricultural technology , the same amount of acreage produces
twice as many as apples as in 1910" incorrect.
We cannot omit the helping verb "it did" here because the two events happen at different "verb tense". For instance, we use "produces" in the 1st event because it happens today, while "produced" in the 2nd event since it happened in 1910. That is the general rule on when we can omit the helping verb.

Similarly, you should notice why we cannot omit the element in bracket in the 3rd sentence, "Never before had taxpayers confronted
as many changes at once [as they confronted] in the Tax Reform Act of 1986."

I guess that I should stop here and let our experts chime in =)

12#
 楼主| 发表于 2010-7-4 12:11:05 | 只看该作者
非常非常感谢ls的NN~明白了
13#
发表于 2011-5-7 22:43:59 | 只看该作者
能问下为什么不能用lower吗第2题的D选项~根据上面牛牛的说法less than 是可以的,那lower than和less than 的区别是什么呢??
percent为什么不能用lower 呢?
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

Mark一下! 看一下! 顶楼主! 感谢分享! 快速回复:

IESE MBA
近期活动

正在浏览此版块的会员 ()

手机版|ChaseDream|GMT+8, 2024-9-22 09:35
京公网安备11010202008513号 京ICP证101109号 京ICP备12012021号

ChaseDream 论坛

© 2003-2023 ChaseDream.com. All Rights Reserved.

返回顶部