ChaseDream
搜索
返回列表 发新帖
楼主: lecherous
打印 上一主题 下一主题

请教GWD3-Q22(On account of a law passed in 1993)

[复制链接]
11#
发表于 2010-5-14 14:36:10 | 只看该作者
呃,我选了A。。。。答案到底是啥呢
12#
发表于 2010-6-14 18:37:24 | 只看该作者
A,B中的错误很明显吧, a United States citizen hold应该是holds.
13#
发表于 2010-6-17 21:55:21 | 只看该作者
我网上找到的。
大家参考一下啊:

A/B中hold的数不对,应该用单数
??C中A law和immigrants构成双主语,不对
??E pass是一次性动作,不能用being passed来修饰law,ing分词是持续的概念。
??
??make it (形式主语) adj./n. + for sb to do/ that从句 ; it作为形式主语指代后边的for sb to do/that从句
14#
发表于 2010-6-18 11:18:46 | 只看该作者
because of 没有说一定要加简单名词吧,我记得GMAT里面加名词,然后定语从句的蛮多的
15#
发表于 2010-6-18 13:11:39 | 只看该作者
B中because of 后面跟的是简单名词the law。 making……都是在修饰law,可认为是从句。
-- by 会员 florawxd (2010/4/21 11:23:12)

顶这个。

prep新语法笔记里答案也是这个。
16#
发表于 2010-6-18 13:14:51 | 只看该作者
另外,语法笔记上说A B 中的it不可指代后面的that从句。
17#
发表于 2010-7-1 11:31:19 | 只看该作者
AB选项hold不对,我选了C,现在看来这个选项是RUN-on,并且E中的BEING的确不对。那就只能选D咯,但是D中的making 是不是指这个法律一直让到人们........所以用ING形式???
18#
发表于 2010-7-14 14:20:55 | 只看该作者
A,B中的错误很明显吧, a United States citizen hold应该是holds.
-- by 会员 yxm54 (2010/6/14 18:37:24)

好强的洞察力,挺你

又,because of后面跟的确是是名词,because of a [[law] passed in 1933][making it a crime......],immigrants......
19#
发表于 2010-7-25 17:36:56 | 只看该作者
Hi guys, please read the following explanation carefully, I find it really helpful.

a, b, c can all be eliminated because of improper idiomatic usage: the proper idiom is '...a crime for blah blah blah to hold...'

'with' in choice b is also bad: it seems to imply that immigrants arrived with the law in their hands.

choice c implies that the immigrants themselves are 'a law passed in 19xx' (analogy: 'an accomplished pianist, jay made a nice living playing at weddings' - jay is an accomplished pianist. same reading applies to this sentence, although it's considerably longer and more difficult to parse)
--
i believe you've misconstrued our advice not to write 'because of V-ing', in exactly that form.
choice d doesn't do that: it writes 'because of a law', where 'a law' is definitely a noun. (the subsequent modifier 'making it a crime...' modifies 'law', and is not associated with 'because of')
--
choice e changes the meaning of the sentence: taken literally, it says that the immigrants found themselves in this unenviable situation not because of the law itself, but because of the passage of the law. although somewhat plausible, this is not the intent of the original sentence.

----------------
dps wrote:
Copied from correct answer D
"Because of a law passed in 1933 making"
I'm confused about what are the rules for whether "making" in above sentence is a verb or participle.
While attempting this problem, I thought it's participle and eliminated it

ah yes, the dreaded "because of X VERBing..." construction.
this construction is incorrect if the causal agent (i.e., the thing that the "because" is attributed to) is the VERB.
for instance,
* we laughed all day because of tony walking into the girls' bathroom --> incorrect, because the verb (walking into the bathroom) is the reason why we were laughing all day.
the correct version of this sentence would read we laughed all day because of tony's walking into the girls' bathroom. in other words, if the causal agent is the action (which appears in -ing form), then it must be preceded by a possessive.

* estelle was afraid to move because of a spider sitting on the wall --> correct, because estelle is afraid because of the spider itself, not because of the spider's sitting on the wall.
this sentence should be read as an instance of the latter: it's the law itself that caused the immigrants' problems.
goelmohit2002 wrote:
Can't we kick out E...because we cannot replace due to by "caused by" here ?
Replacing Due to with "caused by" in E makes no sense....As per my understanding....if in a sentence we can replace due to with caused by...then only usage of due to is correct...
Please correct me if my understanding is wrong...

absolutely correct. you can always replace "due to" with "caused by".
technically, then, this statement would be declaring that immigrants themselves were caused by the law.
therefore, yes, (e) is wrong for this reason.

goelmohit2002 wrote:
Hi Ron,
Can you please tell how making is modifying law in option D.....shouldn't we have a comma after 1933 similar to the original sentence....
as per my understanding....
without comma + ing modifies the immediately preceding noun....
Please correct if my understanding is incorrect.....

well, there are TWO essential modifiers in that sentence, both of which are traditionally placed after the noun. (both of them are participial modifiers - one a present participle, one a past participle)
* passed in 1933
* making it a crime...
since we can't place both of these modifiers directly after the noun, we have to place one of them after the other.
since "passed in 1933" is the shorter of the two, we elect to place that one after the noun.**
--
**this is often the "rule" that's used for the placement of two items that have the same grammatical priority - i.e., you don't know which one to place first, since they're both things that go in the same place.
for instance:
i dedicated a song to my father
i dedicated to my father a song that recounted all the lessons he taught me in life
both of these are correct constructions; if you reverse the placement in the second one, it becomes too confusing / difficult to read.

Quoted from Ron
20#
发表于 2010-8-2 23:36:14 | 只看该作者
谢楼上 解释的太好了~~~
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

Mark一下! 看一下! 顶楼主! 感谢分享! 快速回复:

手机版|ChaseDream|GMT+8, 2024-4-25 19:56
京公网安备11010202008513号 京ICP证101109号 京ICP备12012021号

ChaseDream 论坛

© 2003-2023 ChaseDream.com. All Rights Reserved.

返回顶部