发表于 2007-4-5 22:41:00 | 显示全部楼层

请教NN,关于since表原因的用法

请教NN

since表原因和because,和for 和 in that 有什么不同呢?

发表于 2007-4-6 11:34:00 | 显示全部楼层

不是NN,下面是我汇总各位大牛的,向他们致敬;

Because, since, for, in that的区别

as, because, since, for, and in that

All four of these words can be used to refer to the reason for something.  They are not used in the same way.

1.  as and since:

As  and  since  are used when the reason is already known to the listener/reader, or when it is not the most important part of the sentence.(旧信息)

As - and   since - clauses  often come at the beginning of sentences.  often come at the beginning of sentences.

As it's raining again, we'll have to stay at home.

Since he had not paid his bill, his electricity was cut off.

As - and since - clauses  are relatively formal; in an informal style, the same ideas are often expressed with  so.

It's raining again, so  we'll have to stay at home.

2.  because:

Because  puts more emphasis on the reason, and most often introduces new information which is not known to the listener/reader.(强调因果关系,新信息)

Because I was ill for six months, I lost my job.

When the reason is the most important part of the sentence, the because - clause  usually comes at the end.  It can also stand alone.  Since and as  cannot be used like this.

Why am I leaving?  I'm leaving because I'm fed up  !   (NOT..... I'm leaving  as/since I'm fed up!)

"Why are you laughing? "    "Because  you look so funny".

A because - clause  can be used at the end of a sentence to say how one knows something  can be used at the end of a sentence to say how one knows something.

You didn't tell me the truth, because I found the money in your room.  ( = .... I know because I found....)

3.  for

For  introduces new information, but suggests that the reason is given as an afterthought.(新信息,感觉是对某种事情的解释)

A for - clause could almost be in brackets.  For - clauses never come at the beginning of sentences, and cannot stand alone never come at the beginning of sentences, and cannot stand alone.  For, used in this sense, is most common in a formal written style.

I decided to stop and have lunch - for I was feeling hungry.

4.   in that

used after a statement to begin to explain in what way it is true(在某种情况后解释这种情况发生在哪个方面。或描述事物间在某方面的异同等

I've been lucky in that  I have never had to worry about money.

大全中其他的例子

在解释差异或说明有何特别之处时,in thatbecause更贴切。而且,主要是用在这个时候。下面是几个例子。

19. Teratomas are unusual forms of cancer because they are composed of tissues such as tooth and bone not normally found in the organ in which the tumor appears.
(A) because they are composed of tissues such as tooth and bone
(B) because they are composed of tissues like tooth and bone that are
(C) because they are composed of tissues, like tooth and bone, tissues
(D) in that their composition, tissues such as tooth and bone, is
(E) in that they are composed of tissues such as tooth and bone, tissues
答案(E
12. The Olympic Games helped to keep peace among the pugnacious states of the Greek world in that a sacred truce was proclaimed during the festival’s month.
(A) world in that a sacred truce was proclaimed during the festival’s month
(B) world, proclaiming a sacred truce during the festival’s month
(C) world when they proclaimed a sacred truce for the festival month
(D) world, for a sacred truce was proclaimed during the month of the festival
(E) world by proclamation of a sacred truce that was for the month of the festival
A
in that使用不当,它一般用于表示相同或不同之处的原因.另外被动也不好。
22. Unlike most warbler species, the male and female blue-winged warbler are very difficult to tell apart.
(A) Unlike most warbler species, the male and female blue-winged warbler are very difficult to tell apart.
(B) Unlike most warbler species, the gender of the blue-winged warbler is very difficult to distinguish.
(C) Unlike those in most warbler species, the male and female blue-winged warblers are very difficult to distinguish.
(D) It is very difficult, unlike in most warbler species, to tell the male and female blue-winged warbler apart.
(E) Blue-winged warblers are unlike most species of warbler in that it is very difficult to tell the male and female apart.
答案:E
下面是阅读中出现的正文、题干或选项。
3. According so Snyder et al, caffeine differs from adenosine in that caffeine

(A) stimulates behavior in the mouse and in humans, whereas adenosine stimulates behavior in humans only
(B) has mixed effects in the brain, whereas adenosine has only a stimulatory effect
(C) increases cyclic AMP concentrations in target neurons, whereas adenosine decreases such concentrations
(D) permits release of neurotransmitters when it is bound to adenosine receptors, whereas adenosine inhibits such release
(E) inhibits both neuron firing and the production of phosphodiesterase when there is a sufficient concentration in the brain, whereas adenosine inhibits only neuron firing
2. According to the passage, the MESBIC approach differs from the SBA approach in that MESBIC’s
(A) seek federal contracts to provide markets for minority businesses
(B) encourage minority businesses to provide markets for other minority businesses
(C) attempt to maintain a specified rate of growth in the minority business sector
(D) rely on the participation of large corporations to finance minority businesses
(E) select minority businesses on the basis of their location
In contrast to traditional analyses of minority business, the sociological analysis contends that minority business ownership is a group-level phenomenon, in that it is largely dependent upon social-group resources for its development.
5. According to the passage, which of the following is true of English migrants to the colonies during the eighteenth century?
(A) Most of them were farmers rather than trades people or artisans.
(B) Most of them came because they were unable to find work in England.
(C) They differed from other English people in that they were willing to travel.
(D) They expected that the colonies would offer them increased opportunity.
(E) They were generally not as educated as the people who remained in England.
好了,够了,因为已经能够足以说明问题了。谢谢!

发表于 2018-6-17 19:12:05 | 显示全部楼层
行缘 发表于 2007-4-6 11:34
不是NN,下面是我汇总各位大牛的,向他们致敬;Because, since, for, in that的区别as, because, since, fo ...

这么赞的回答竟然没有人回复感谢, 就算过去11年了,还是想说 谢谢你!!!!
发表于 2018-8-2 15:25:55 | 显示全部楼层
不是NN,下面是我汇总各位大牛的,向他们致敬;Because, since, for, in that的区别as, because, since, fo ...

太太太感谢了!               
发表于 2019-12-11 11:11:16 | 显示全部楼层

Mark一下!               
发表于 2020-5-25 10:46:20 | 显示全部楼层
15年过去了,还是Mark一下
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

Mark一下! 看一下! 顶楼主! 感谢分享! 快速回复:

手机版|ChaseDream|GMT+8, 2024-4-16 19:35
京公网安备11010202008513号 京ICP证101109号 京ICP备12012021号

ChaseDream 论坛

© 2003-2023 ChaseDream.com. All Rights Reserved.

返回顶部