ChaseDream
搜索
返回列表 发新帖
00:00:00

According to a recent poll, owning and living in a freestanding house on its own land is still a goal of a majority of young adults, like that of earlier generations.

正确答案: E

相关帖子

更多...

更多相关帖子

帖子

好友

积分

ChaseDream

注册时间
2003-03-17
精华
解析
查看: 3257|回复: 4
打印 上一主题 下一主题

Q885错题集中问 (urgent!!!)

[复制链接]
楼主
发表于 2003-9-15 21:51:00 | 只看该作者

Q885错题集中问 (urgent!!!)

I will take the test this week.  Your helps are highly appreciated!

The following questions are from Q885.  Every one is marked with the source.  My questions are written in tilt letter.

Section A
11.    Marketing researchers have found that, because many residents of the Southeast do not share the same ethnic heritage as Northeasterners, the two varieties of commercially prepared coleslaw most popular in New York City and Boston are virtually ignored by consumers in Richmond and Raleigh.
(A) because many residents of the Southeast do not share the same ethnic heritage as
(B) because many residents of the Southeast do not share the same ethnic heritage with
(C) because many residents of the Southeast do not have the same ethnic heritage as
(D) due to many residents of the Southeast not sharing the same ethnic heritage with
(E) whereas many residents of the Southeast do not share the same ethnic heritage as

Why the answer is C, not B?  “ share the same … with ..” is not right?

22.    According to Henry David Thoreau, the reason a majority is allowed to rule is not that it is more likely to be right, but because it is stronger.
(A) the reason a majority is allowed to rule is not that it is more likely to be right, but because it is stronger
(B) a majority is allowed to rule not because it is more likely to be right, but because it is stronger
(C) the reason for majority rule is not because they are more likely to be right, they are stronger
(D) the majority is allowed to rule because of its strength, not because it is more likely to be right
(E) the reason why the majority rules is that it is strong, not because it is likely to be right
I am totally lost!  Why B is right?  Why not E or C???

Section E
9.    It takes a deft balance between savings discipline, investment knowledge, risk taking, luck, and time to raise a million dollars through investments.
(A) It takes a deft balance between
(B) Deft balancing is needed between
(C) Deftly balanced, it takes
(D) It takes a deft balance of
(E) A deft balance is what one needs among

I have no clue to get the right answer D. Who can explain?

Section 3
21.    At the time of the Mexican agrarian revolution, the most radical faction, that of Zapata and his followers, proposed a return to communal ownership of land, to what had been a pre-Columbian form of ownership respected by the Spaniards.
(A) land, to what had been a pre-Columbian form of ownership respected by the Spaniards
(B) land, a form of ownership of the pre-Columbians and respected by the Spaniards
(C) land, respected by the Spaniards and a pre-Columbian form of ownership
(D) land in which a pre-Columbian form of ownership was respected by the Spaniards
(E) land that had been a pre-Columbian form of ownership respected by the Spaniards
I make repeated mistakes.  Why A?

Section 4
23    A huge flying reptile that died out with the dinosaurs some 65 million years ago, the Quetzalcoatlus had a wingspan of 36 feet, believed to be the largest flying creature the world has ever seen.
(A) believed to be
(B) and that is believed to be
(C) and it is believed to have been
(D) which was, it is believed,
(E) which is believed to be
Why not A – is it the concise one?

Section 7
16.    According to a recent poll, owning and living in a freestanding house on its own land is still a goal of a majority of young adults, like that of earlier generations.
(A) like that of earlier generations
(B) as that for earlier generations
(C) just as earlier generations did
(D) as have earlier generations
(E) as it was of earlier generations
B is not a good one?

Section 21

16.    New techniques in thermal-scanning photography, a process that records radiation from surface areas, makes it possible to study the effects of calefaction, or warming, of a river in greater detail than ever before.
(A) makes it possible to study the effects of calefaction, or warming, of a river in greater detail than ever before
(B) make it possible to study, in greater detail, the effects of calefaction, or warming, of a river than ever before
(C) have made it possible to study in greater detail than ever before the effects of calefaction, or warming, of a river
(D) make possible the study of the effects of calefaction, or warming, of a river in greater detail than it ever was before
(E) has made it more possible than ever before to study in greater detail the effects of calefaction, or warming, of a river

What is the defect of B? I think B is comparable to C.
17.    Bob Wilber became Sidney Bechet’s student and protégé when he was nineteen and, for a few years in the 1940’s, came as close to being a carbon copy of the jazz virtuoso in performance as anyone has ever come.
(A) as anyone has ever come
(B) as anyone ever had been
(C) as anyone ever had done
(D) that anyone ever did
(E) that anyone ever came
This one is my nightmare!!!
沙发
发表于 2003-9-16 02:14:00 | 只看该作者
11、"share" and "same" are redundant. It shoud be sb share ethnic heritage with sb.

22、
(c) the reason for...is not because , they are stronger
(e) the reason why .....is that , not because
Run On sentence! There is no conj between two clause. At the same time, the reason for or the reason why is unidiomatic

9. Between can not be used in comparison more than two elements. So, A,B out. deftly balanced modifies it is wordy, so does E a deft balance is what one needs among.

21. a return to [communal ownership of land], to [what had been a pre-columbian form...], it is appositive.

23. C is right? I think , A may mean "believed to be" modify "feet".

16. E? In B, as shoud be followed a sentence not a noun. At the same time, what is "for" means? which one is the referent of "that"?

S21-16. "than ever before" is a flag of present perfect.

S21-17. A. Nightmares to many people when they did it! Including me. Firstly, as ... as is a clue, so D and E are out. Then you shoud notice the sentence structure is "sb came as close to being BLABLABLA as sb ???", so the focus of comparison is "came", not been or done. Wish you make sense of it.
板凳
 楼主| 发表于 2003-9-16 22:13:00 | 只看该作者
So happy to c you again.  Your answer is always very helpful. Thanks a lot.  
Most are clear.  For the last one, I still have a question: "came as...close to being ...as sb had done" is not better? when there is comparison, the latter verb is the same as the first one, "do" can be used.  By the way what exact meaning of this sentence?  Could you help to interpret it?
地板
发表于 2003-9-17 00:35:00 | 只看该作者
Look at this:
Bob wilber came as close to being a carbon copy of the jazz virtuoso in performance as anyone has ever come [to being a carbon copy of the jazz virtuoso in performance ].
And this:
Bob wilber came as close to being a carbon copy of the jazz virtuoso in performance as anyone ever had done [to being a carbon copy of the jazz virtuoso in performance ].

In my opinion, "came close to being a carbon copy of the jazz virtuoso in performance " is an integrate part of sentence, so it is not clear, if you use "done" to refer to the whole phrase.
5#
 楼主| 发表于 2003-9-17 22:36:00 | 只看该作者
Clear. thanks.
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

Mark一下! 看一下! 顶楼主! 感谢分享! 快速回复:

IESE MBA
近期活动

正在浏览此版块的会员 ()

手机版|ChaseDream|GMT+8, 2024-4-29 01:09
京公网安备11010202008513号 京ICP证101109号 京ICP备12012021号

ChaseDream 论坛

© 2003-2023 ChaseDream.com. All Rights Reserved.

返回顶部