打印 上一主题 下一主题

[SC悬赏令] prep争议题,求解答

[复制链接]
11#
发表于 2018-7-2 15:46:38 | 只看该作者
不同意选D 认为选C没有问题
12#
发表于 2018-7-2 15:47:25 | 只看该作者
but前的comma已经消除了歧义,but后的名词不可能与comma前的名词平行.
13#
发表于 2018-10-28 17:03:27 | 只看该作者
看一下!               
14#
发表于 2018-11-30 20:41:27 | 只看该作者
我觉得D, 首先are ..., but are.. 和 are not..., but... 平行都是对的。
但是因为not...but...封闭结构如果成立后面应该加个冠词the 和前面保持平行。
即,the products 和 the by-products 平行。
而原文中没有the 就考虑第一种平行。
15#
发表于 2019-8-23 11:45:52 | 只看该作者
here is the explanation from RON:

basically, here's the difference:

• "not X but Y":
this construction implies that X is what's "normal" or "expected", and that Y is what's actually true.
e.g.,
I was surprised to learn that Ella was not Clint's biological daughter but in fact his adopted daughter, since her facial features so closely resemble his.
(here, since the girl looks so much like her dad, we EXPECT to find out that she's his biological daughter.)

• "X but Y":
this just implies a contrast, but NOT any expectation.
(in THIS PARTICULAR sentence—as already explained in this thread—the "X" part includes the word "not".)
e.g.,
I am not a mechanic, but can perform basic maintenance on non-hybrid cars.

__

this sentence DOES describe a contrast—these things aren't products of natural selection, BUT they ARE products of essentially random selection processes.

on the other hand, it DOES NOT describe any sort of situation with an "expected" or "predictable" result.

thus it should not use the first construction; it should use the second one.
to make this sentence into "X, but Y", we need to include the are on the right-hand side.
16#
发表于 2019-11-10 11:47:18 | 只看该作者
From beat the Gmat
I received a PM asking me to comment.

In C, the meaning is not crystal clear:

...products of natural selection, favored...but simply random...

The construction above could imply -- incorrectly -- that both favored and random modify products.

In D, the parallel structure are not...but are makes it crystal clear that random refers not to products but to traits:

...traits that are not the products of natural selection...but are simply random by-products of other evolutionary developments...

It must be clear what a modifier is modifying. Since D makes the meaning crystal clear, eliminate C and choose D.
Unquote
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

Mark一下! 看一下! 顶楼主! 感谢分享! 快速回复:

手机版|ChaseDream|GMT+8, 2024-4-20 22:34
京公网安备11010202008513号 京ICP证101109号 京ICP备12012021号

ChaseDream 论坛

© 2003-2023 ChaseDream.com. All Rights Reserved.

返回顶部