查看: 4325|回复: 45
打印 上一主题 下一主题

[阅读小分队] 【Native Speaker每日综合训练—35系列】【35-13】经管

[复制链接]
跳转到指定楼层
楼主
发表于 2014-4-24 23:20:23 | 只看该作者 回帖奖励 |倒序浏览 |阅读模式
内容:AceJ   编辑:AceJ

Stay tuned to our latest post! Follow us here ---> http://weibo.com/u/3476904471

我们始终坚信,每一次阅读,都应是一次美妙的旅程
而工作组的使命就是带领大家领略阅读中的极致美景

Part I: Speaker

Are you the “real you” in the office?

Source: HBR Ideacast
http://blogs.hbr.org/2014/03/are-you-the-real-you-in-the-office/

For transcript, you can directly click hyperlink above, or you can download word document here

[Rephrase 1, 16:28]

本帖子中包含更多资源

您需要 登录 才可以下载或查看,没有帐号?立即注册

x
收藏收藏 收藏收藏
沙发
 楼主| 发表于 2014-4-24 23:20:24 | 只看该作者
Part II: Speed

Remember, It May Take Time for Employees to Bear Fruit
BY John Brubaker | Apr 24, 2014

[Time 2]
After just his second season, the New York Knicks on Monday fired head coach Mike Woodson and his coaching staff. The same Woodson who finished first in the Atlantic Division and made it to the Eastern Conference semifinals just one year ago.

The problem is that his new boss, Knicks President and 11-time championship coach Phil Jackson, thought his numbers were trending in the wrong direction. After a 54-28 season last year, Woodson’s Knicks finished this season at 37-45.

Gone are the days of the five-year plan, it's more like the five-minute plan now. Sports are a microcosm of society and today you are seeing less visionary leadership and more reactionary management. Leaders of organizations are making knee-jerk decisions to make the quarterly numbers look better to shareholders, or in the case of sports, ticket holders. I call it seed-counter syndrome, a concept from my book, Seeds of Success.

If you take an apple and slice it in half, you can look inside and count the number of seeds. What you can't count is the number of apples that will grow from one seed. My neighbor owns an apple orchard and I learned from him that one of those little seeds will grow into an apple tree that is about 30 feet tall. The average apple tree will usually yield a harvest that can fill about 20 bushels, weighing about 42 pounds each. Yet the interesting thing is that apple trees often take up to four or five years to produce their first harvest. Those same trees, once they become productive, will produce fruit for 30 to 40 years and can live more than 80 years.

"Not everything that can be counted counts and not everything that counts can be counted." -- Albert Einstein
[294 words]

[Time 3]
As a leader, you're a lot like a farmer. You can count the number of employees in your business but you cannot immediately count the amount of business that will come from one employee. Over time one employee can mature into a leader, a sales pro or an ambassador for your brand who will impact hundreds of thousands or perhaps even millions of people over their career. Like an apple seed, their harvest is often immeasurable. The average tenure of an employee at a company is just 4.6 years, according to bureau of labor statistics.

In his six-year tenure as head coach of the Atlanta Hawks, Woodson took the team from 13 wins in 2004-05 to 53 wins and a conference semifinal appearance in 2009-10. In this instant, on-demand society, many seem to forget that it can often take people years to begin producing the fruits of their labor. Many leaders are seed counters, as they are reliant on analytics to a fault, watching the numbers from day to day and week to week.

Others simply subscribe to the microwave mentality of if the results aren't instant, they aren't worth it. People seem to forget it took John Wooden, the greatest basketball coach of all time, 16 years to win his first national championship. Once he won his first, he proceeded to win nine out of the next 11 NCAA titles.

We live in a society where for many leaders, if the results aren't instant they give up on the process. And with that, if their people don't produce right away, they give up on them. Whether it's sales, sports or anything else worth pursuing, we must approach it like a seed planter, not a seed counter.

It’s too early to tell if Jackson can definitely be diagnosed with seed-counter syndrome -- he’s had the Midas touch everywhere he's been. But even leaders at the highest levels such as Jackson aren’t immune to seed-counter syndrome.

Many don't want to invest in long-term growth, and when they allow seed-counter syndrome to happen, productive employees die on the vine and flee for other companies that will mentor, train, nurture and invest in them.

When you plant seeds of success and water the roots of your business, your people will grow and produce amazing fruit. Seed planter or seed counter? The choice is yours.
[391 words]

Source: Entrepreneur
http://www.entrepreneur.com/article/233321

Listening skills: what I learned from a primate

BY Daune Dike | Apr 22, 2014

[Time 4]
I tend to score pretty high on listening skills in all those peer and value assessment tests. I guess what that means is that I listen, or at least give the impression that I do. Shouldn't everyone be a good listener? Isn't listening part of good relationships? Yes, but that's not always the case.

Let's skip back to my youth to find one possible influence on how I became a better listener. I've written many a time that our personages are made up of uncountable factors such as education, climate, parenting, geography, teachers, friends, religion, bedtime, diet, and on and on and on. In my case, many the things I learned about listening came from my adopted little sister, a monkey.

Yes, we were the family with the monkey. Acquiring the little girl wasn't a planned event. As I think the story goes, my parents knew a woman who had Rosie (that would be the monkey) as a pet, but she (the woman) had a heart attack so we took the little tyke on as a temporary houseguest. However, as life goes, the woman died and Rosie became a permanent fixture in our family.

Rosie had her own wardrobe for those away from home excursions (no nakedness allowed here). Rosie even had her own stylish bathing gear for our trips to the beach. (I vividly remember two life guards driving up in their jeep and saying, "Well, it's not a dog," most likely referring to the sign behind us, "No dogs allowed.") For me, there was nothing strange about our arrangement. She was my little sister, of sorts.
[268 words]

[Time 5]
Bath Time is Listening Time
What does my little primate friend have to do with listening? Remember, who we are as humans, and leaders, is comprised of millions of data points, some consciously received, others more subtly. I didn't recognize it at the time, but bath time was a special communication-filled event for Rosie. I'd lather her up, which she really enjoyed, and fluff her dry with a towel. It was a time of deep communication without human words. After all, Rosie didn't speak English and I didn't speak long-tailed macaque.

I'm not sure what language Rosie spoke, but she was quite effective at getting her points across. Her usual routine after each bath was to talk with me for about 30 minutes, mostly with coos, grunts, and other monkey like noises. Often she'd hold my hand or preen my arms or head during our chats. To be honest, I had no idea what she was trying to tell me with her monkey language. She talked, I listened. And, little known to me at the time, I was learning a life-long skill: focusing on the other person.

I didn't interrupt my little friend, and didn't bother with those mindless head nods and robot like human grunts. I patiently focused on her interests while she talked. My guess, she was telling me about her bath, maybe the things in her life, the dogs that lived behind us, and how much she loved me, although that's all just supposition. What I do know is she was much more intelligent than my other pets. (One of which is a turtle I've had for 50 years; still lives in my backyard.)
[277 words]

[Time 6]
Monkeys and Leadership
Rosie is long gone, passing oh so many years ago of age-related sickness. She died holding my mother's hand, a special exchange of feelings for the both of them. Things have changed a lot since then and I'd never recommend taking on a monkey as a pet because of the constant care needed (not to mention local ordinances).

Each of us (now speaking of us humans) has his or her special story, of some particular input in our lives that shapes who we are. Maybe it was an especially influential grandparent, or a teacher who paid meticulous attention, or time spent alone mastering a musical instrument. All experiential input turns us into humans to be part of this community called earth.

My special input was a monkey who was part of my life for nearly 20 years. I have her to thank for helping me become a better, outward focused, thinking leader.

Thanks for listening.
[158 words]

Source: Management Issue
http://www.management-issues.com/opinion/6899/listening-skills-what-i-learned-from-a-primate/

本帖子中包含更多资源

您需要 登录 才可以下载或查看,没有帐号?立即注册

x
板凳
 楼主| 发表于 2014-4-24 23:20:25 | 只看该作者
Part III: Obstacle

Facebook’s Unbundling Strategy Makes Perfect Sense
By Niraj Dawar | Apr 23, 2014

[Paraphrase 7]
Can a company built on the ideas of scale and network effects unbundle its offering into multiple brands and still thrive? Facebook is about to find out.

Unbundling has a compelling strategic and competitive rationale for Facebook. It has implications that extend far beyond the company’s stated goal to design single-purpose apps that fit mobile usage and the bottleneck of screen mobile device real estate. “Facebook is not one thing,” Mark Zuckerberg said in his recent interview in the New York Times. And clearly, the more meaningful things Facebook becomes to its customers, the less chance it has of being felled by a single savvy competitor or by the obsolescence of a single monolithic social network. But what will unbundling do to its sources of competitive advantage?

Observers have quickly labeled the strategy outlined by Zuckerberg, “The Great Unbundling.”  And that captures part of the strategy: standalone, dedicated single-purpose apps will populate Facebook’s stable. They may or may not carry the Facebook brand. But unbundling is only part of the story. More interesting is what the strategy says about Facebook’s understanding of its future competitive advantage.

Today Facebook enjoys three advantages over rivals: technological capabilities, economies of scale in its infrastructure, and most importantly, network effects. Network effects favor Facebook because for those who want to socially network, it makes sense to congregate on Facebook where everybody else is hanging out. There is only one square in the global village, and it is run by Facebook. Being on a different square from everyone else doesn’t get you anywhere — you just miss the party. This makes Facebook’s competitive lead, with over a billion users, a self-reinforcing advantage: the more people that are on Facebook, the less reason newcomers have to not be on Facebook. So what effect does unbundling have on Facebook’s competitive advantage?

Zuckerberg appears to recognize that the Facebook brand as a single monolithic entry point cannot be everything social to all people. Users have different needs, and those needs will be served with separately branded products to deliver different experiences and attract and retain varied customer segments. Each brand, whether it is Facebook, Messenger, WhatsApp, or Instagram marks distinct territory in the social space. The strategic bet here is that a single customer interface is not necessary to maintain or even strengthen Facebook’s technological lead and infrastructure scale. You can have several customer brands and interfaces and still enjoy these back-end advantages. But what of network effects?

Could unbundling dismantle the network effects at the heart of Facebook? Not necessarily. First, brands that Facebook currently operates, Facebook, Messenger, WhatsApp and Instagram, have hundreds of millions of users, and each of them enjoys greater network effects than all but the largest potential rivals. Secondly, Facebook may believe it is worth sacrificing some network effects in order to build distinct brands and pre-emptively occupy social space. For example, more cohesive groups may have stronger inter-relationships, and so members may be less likely to leave to try other social networks. Finally, Facebook’s strategy suggests that it is well on its way to becoming a conglomerate that is in the business of managing businesses that have network effects at their core. Lessons learned from one network effects business translate to other network effects businesses — a benefit few of its rivals possess.

Above all, the new direction is a smart, competitive strategy even if it has been seen more as product and brand strategy. By having multiple brands in the marketplace, by preemptively building or acquiring new types of social space, by serving and defining multiple segments or “use cases,” and by experimenting with products and features such as Paper and Graph Search, the company both hedges competitive risk and stays ahead of customer needs. Get ready for the many faces of Facebook.
[630 words]

Source: HBR Blog
http://blogs.hbr.org/2014/04/facebooks-unbundling-strategy-makes-perfect-sense/
地板
发表于 2014-4-24 23:29:17 | 只看该作者
沙发~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Speaker: DDO is a kind of organization that creat a culture to make people grow,and it may make people uncomfortable.Because it flop around the normal life at work.Employees need to do a second job:looking good,covering weakness and so on with no payments.Employees need to spend much energy on this.Then the speaker introduce one of the most tough DDO that is more problemic than beneficial.Only a few people can thrive in this kind of enviornment.Their personality make them suitable to the organization.

01:38
What is happening in sports field seems to be similar to business world and society.Boss and shareholders always want to see the good result in a short period.But like fruits,many things need time to be productive.

01:54
As a leader,you are a lot like a farmer.You can count the number of your current employees,but you can not count what business and benefit they will bring in the future.It often takes people years to produce furit of their labor.But now many leaders ignore this long-term investment.

01:22
Introduce the pet moneky in his family.She is more than a pet,she is the member of his family.The author also learned listening skill fomr her.

01:30
The bath time conversantion let the author learn that focusing on the other people is a effective listening skill.

00:50
Everyone have their own special stories.It is these particular input in our lives shapes who we are.

03:34
Main Idea: Unbundling Strategy will be a useful one to Facebook
Unbundling has a compelling strategic and competitive rationale for Facebook. Mark Zuckerberg wants his Facebook becomes sth more meaningful,not just one thing.This strategy can widen Facebook's range and prepare for future competitive.
Today Facebook enjoys three advantages over rivals: technological capabilities, economies of scale in its infrastructure and network effects.As a single brand,Facebook can not be everything in networking.Different people may need unique demand.Then the unbundleing strategy can make sense.
And this strategy won't dismantle the core network effects of  Facebook.
5#
发表于 2014-4-24 23:35:35 | 只看该作者
首页~~~~~~~~~~thx~~

time:1:30.47
NYK fired its head coach because they think his mumbers were trending in the wrong direction.
Longer year plans gone,shorter one take place.
But Apple Tree takes many years to thrive and grow apples.Need time.
time:2:02.29
Employees are like apple seeds.They take time to grow and produce apples.So don't make decision or give up quickly.
Examples.
If a company allow seed counter syndorme happen,it will lose good employees.They will go to other companies willing to invest in them.
time:1:26.23
The experience the author had with the monkey R.Why did her family donate R.
time:1:21.23
Listening in bathing time--learn to focus on other person.
time:0:52.00
Everyone has special stories.Experiences help us join the community.
The money helps the author to become a more thinking leader.
time:4:10.48
Unbundling.Facebook,many faces.What is the advantage?
The introduction of unbundling.Facebook is not one thing.
Facebook competitive advantages for the future:
1 tech capabilities
2 economics of scale in infrasturcture
3 network effects
What impact will unbundling put on these competitive advantage?
For 1 and 2,more brands strenghthen them.
For 3,may have some negtive impact,but have three other advantages:
One,different brands have different users,they will have better network effects,by being partners(in Facebook) rather than rivals.
Second,different users can have various choices,tighter interactions,less likely to leave Facebook(the whole).
Finally,Facebook wants to become a conglomerate of many brands,but has the network effect as its core.
Opinion--Positive,good strategy,better future.

6#
发表于 2014-4-24 23:57:16 | 只看该作者
我来晚啦~菌菌不要删我QAQ
【Speaker】
DDO is a deliberately develpmental organiztion which may make people uncomfortable.
The feature of DDO  is that it completely flips around at work.
It hires sb because it thinks that the person is good but not perfect.
DDO brings things open.
Inthis particular organization, there’s literally no such thing as a behind theback conversation because every conversation is essentially open.

【Speed】
time 6        00:00:43.92         
Rosie the monkey has passed on so many years ago but it's true that she has influenced the whole family.

time 5        00:01:20.39
For all these years, Rosie is used to talking with the author for 30mins after bathing. The author actually could not catch what rosie exactly tried talking about, they had a great time though.

time 4        00:01:27.57   
The author talks about how Rosie influenced her to become a better listener.

time 3        00:01:45.46
As leader, things are not just the same as planting apple trees. There are so many possibilities, as a matter of fact , a good leader ought to invest in long-term growth and be patient.

time 2        00:01:04.04
Not everything that can be counted counts and not everything that counts can be counted.  ---love this one!

【Obstacle】00:04:13
Facebook's unbundling strategy which was thought to be wise has succeeded.
Instagram, twitter, message and What's app

7#
发表于 2014-4-25 07:59:46 | 只看该作者
竟然还有首页真是要感动哭了~~
-------------
谢谢楼主~~

speaker:
deliberately development organization
DDO sometimes may be uncomfortable in the work place
almost everyone doing a second job without payment in the work place and the job can give them chance to show off
if all people choose to hind, then they will always make mistakes, so why do not people just be honest to their mistakes
how to support other people and create the culture
in the traditional organization, people may talk about others in the behind in an unprofessional way
only a little group of people want to work in that kind of organization
the professor prefers people who will say he is beyond himself
after working at the organization, people will feel he is a full human being in the work and never be afraid of any mistakes and uncertainties
new income means something internal such as happiness
happiness as a process, the happiness comes from your own experience and version
a work is a place where I can become a person with better version

time2:1:11
it takes time to test whether the decision is right or not
the apple trees take years before they are productive
not everything that can be counted counts and not everything that counts can be counted

time3:1:49
it can not be articulated precisely how long it takes to see the coach lead the term win the championship

time4:1:14
the author thinks listening skills are important points to assess a person
how the author learn how to listen
he lived with a adopted little sister, a monkey

time5:1:21
the communication can take place without any human words
bath time is the most important listening time

time6:0:37
the special experience with not only a pet but also a friend
the author learned a lot after the death of Rosie and missed her so much

time7:3:39
a company can build on the ideas of scale and net work effects unbundle its offering into multiple brands and still thrive, Facebook did this
Facebook is an important networking tool because if you do not use Facebook will miss all the parties and this advantage of Facebook also gives big barrier to new enters of social net work app
unbundling is not necessarily dismantling the network effects at the heart of Facebook
Facebook is still staying ahead of customer needs
8#
发表于 2014-4-25 08:25:00 | 只看该作者
谁说不是呢  占座 ~~~~~~~~~

Obstacle: 5’20’’
Unbundling has a compelling srategic and competitive rationale for FB and single-purpose apps will pophpated FB
Three advantages of FB : technology capabilities,economies of scale,and network efforts. The network makes congregation possible
Different blocks such as Messenger,Whatsapp marks distinct territory in the social space
Facebook want to retain customers by differernt apps or social space and at the same time FB face competitive risk

time23  4'04''Introduce the event in sports field and then say the sports are a microcosm of society. More less visionary leadship makes knee-jerk decision to report to shareholders.this is seed-counter syndrome
Then author analogy a leader as a farmer, farmer wont count on the seed in one apple but what the fruits he will harvest from one seed, same as leader who can count the number of employee in business but can not count the amount of business that will come from one employee
9#
发表于 2014-4-25 08:53:59 | 只看该作者
居然是一环~~谢谢Ace~
SPEAKER
------------------------------------------
SPEED
Remember, It May Take Time for Employees to Bear Fruit
T2
Manager Woodson has been fired by his superior because they think his was heading to the wrong direction, but on the other hand, the author think the decision of the superior was not good and his use a analogue to show his idea.
The apple tree belongs to author’s neighbor was taken as the example.
Some apple trees harvest four or five years after the seed was cultivated, but others may take ten to twenty years to reach their harvest.
T3
Although leader is not like a farmer, they have to wait for their employees to mature.
You can count the number of employees in your business but you cannot immediately count the amount of business that will come from one employee.
Take Woodson, who are claimed to be fired in the first paragraph, for example, in his sixth years, he got his win, which showed his finally mature.
Many leaders are seed-counter but not the seed planter, they hurry to find more employees but never wait for their growth.
-----------------------------------------
Listening skills: what I learned from a primate
T4
The author shows how she became a good listener by telling the story of her monkey.
The little monkey was first belonged to another woman, who has something wrong with her heart, so the monkey became the permanent pet for the author.
The monkey was took care and has her own clothes.
T5
The author learned the listening skill during the bath time.
Although she has no idea with what Rosie said, she tried to pay attention to the monkey and supposed she is expressing her love and her life.
T6
Everyone has his own story.
The woman’s story is about her monkey.
And she thanks the monkey for helping her become a better, outward focused, thinking leader.
OBSTACLE
10#
发表于 2014-4-25 09:30:31 | 只看该作者
time2: 1.42 A boss fired his stuffs because they failed to meet his expectation. But the author believe that the stuffs need time to grow, like the apple tree need five years for his first harvest.
time3: 2.19 Bosses can't predict the future production of employees,even thong they will be outstanding, but they usually wish for a instant benefit and aviod long-term invest. Therefore, the bosses need to reconsider their roles, a fruit counter or a fruit planter.
time4: 2.01 I am a good listener because I learned how to listen form my little sister, a monkey which we adopted from Roise.
tim5: the author talk with her monkey without language, it taught her how to communicate by listening.
time6: 0.58 the monkey has died, but he help me to be a better and outward leader.
time7: 4.45 Facebook is unbundling by severing multiple brands and products. It seems that unbundling will dismantle its advantages, but Facebook has proved it will not.
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

Mark一下! 看一下! 顶楼主! 感谢分享! 快速回复:

手机版|ChaseDream|GMT+8, 2024-4-26 11:52
京公网安备11010202008513号 京ICP证101109号 京ICP备12012021号

ChaseDream 论坛

© 2003-2023 ChaseDream.com. All Rights Reserved.

返回顶部