[Rephrase 1]

Audio Index:
Slow dialogue: 1:10
Explanations: 3:16
Fast dialogue: 16:18

Source: http://www.eslpod.com/website/show_podcast.php?issue_id=11345165
[script]
Paul: What time is it?
Jackie: It’s 2:30. The Cleveland office report should have been emailed to us by the end of the workday yesterday. What are we supposed to do now?
Paul: If we don’t get their report, we’ll have to hold up the production of the annual report and if that happens, somebody’s head is going to roll. This really leaves us in a lurch. Who’s responsible for the report in Cleveland?
Jackie: Noel Simmons.
Paul: Oh, no. I know Noel. I used to work with him in the Columbus office. He was always dropping the ball on his responsibilities and I was always having to cover for him.
Jackie: You must have had the patience of a saint! If he’s such a flake, why is he still working for this company?
Paul: Beats me, but I know we’re in for a long wait if he’s in charge. We have to do something. Get on the phone and see if you can light a fire under him. Unless we keep on him, we’ll never see that report.
Jackie: Okay, I’ll call the Cleveland office right now.
Paul: And Jackie?
Jackie: Yes?
Paul: If he gives you a line or some kind of excuse, let me talk to him.
Jackie: What’ll you do?
Paul: I’ll take him on a trip down memory lane. When I used to work with him, I wasn’t always so patient – or polite.

本帖子中包含更多资源

您需要 登录 才可以下载或查看,没有帐号?立即注册

x
收藏收藏 收藏收藏
沙发
 楼主| 发表于 2014-2-23 21:02:18 | 只看该作者
Part II: Speed

The True Story of the Monuments Men
Without the work of these curators and professors, tens of thousands of priceless works of art would have been lost to the world forever
By Jim Morrison

[Time 2]

Captain Robert Posey and Pfc. Lincoln Kirstein were the first through the small gap in the rubble blocking the ancient salt mine at Altausee, high in the Austrian Alps in 1945 as World War II drew to a close in May 1945. They walked past one sidechamber in the cool damp air and entered a second one, the flames of their lamps guiding the way.

There, resting on empty cardboard boxes a foot off the ground, were eight panels of The Adoration of the Lamb by Jan van Eyck, considered one of the masterpieces of 15th-century European art. In one panel of the altarpiece, the Virgin Mary, wearing a crown of flowers, sits reading a book.

"The miraculous jewels of the Crowned Virgin seemed to attract the light from our flickering acetylene lamps," Kirstein wrote later. "Calm and beautiful, the altarpiece was, quite simply, there."

Kirstein and Posey were two members of the Monuments, Fine Arts, and Archives section of the Allies, a small corps of mostly middle-aged men and a few women who interrupted careers as historians, architects, museum curators and professors to mitigate combat damage. They found and recovered countless artworks stolen by the Nazis.

Their work was largely forgotten to the general public until an art scholar, Lynn H. Nicholas, working in Brussels, read an obituary about a French woman who spied on the Nazis’ looting operation for years and singlehandedly saved 60,000 works of art. That spurred Nicholas to spend a decade researching her 1995 book, The Rape of Europa, which began the resurrection of their story culminating with the movie, The Monuments Men, based upon Robert Edsel’s 2009 book of the same name. The Smithsonian’s Archives of American Art holds the personal papers and oral history interviews of a number of the Monuments Men as well as photographs and manuscripts from their time in Europe.

"Without the [Monuments Men], a lot of the most important treasures of European culture would be lost," Nicholas says. "They did an extraordinary amount of work protecting and securing these things."
[341 words]

[Time 3]

Nowhere, notes Nicholas, were more of those treasures collected than at Altaussee, where Hitler stored the treasures intended for his Fuhrermuseum in Linz, Austria, a sprawling museum complex that Hitler planned as a showcase for his plunder. On that first foray, Kirstein and Posey (portrayed in pseuodyminity by actors Bob Balaban and Bill Murray, respectively) had also discovered Michelangelo’s Madonna, which was spirited out of Bruges, Belgium, by the Nazis in September 1944 as the Allies advanced on the city. Within days, they’d also found priceless works by Dutch painter Johannes Vermeer.

They summoned the only Monuments Man for the job, George Stout, who had pioneered new techniques of art conservation before the war working at Harvard's Fogg Museum. Early in the war, Stout (given the name Frank Stokes as played by George Clooney in the film) unsuccessfully campaigned for the creation of a group like the Monuments Men with both American and British authorities. Frustrated, the World War I veteran enlisted in the Navy and developed aircraft camouflage techniques until transferred to a small corps of 17 Monuments Men in December 1944.

Stout had been crossing France, Germany and Belgium recovering works, often traveling in a Volkswagen captured from the Germans.  He was one of a handful of Monuments Men regularly in forward areas, though his letters home to his wife, Margie, mentioned only "field trips."

Monuments Men like Stout often operated alone with limited resources. In one journal entry, Stout said he calculated the boxes, crates, and packing materials needed for a shipment.  "No chance of getting them," he wrote in April 1945.

So they made do. Stout transformed German sheepskin coats and gas masks into packing materials. He and his small band of colleagues rounded up guards and prisoners to pack and load. "Never anywhere in peace or war could you expect to see more selfless devotion, more dogged persistence in going on, much of the time alone and empty-handed, to get it done," Stout wrote to a stateside friend in March 1945.

[336 words]

[Time 4]

The Allies knew of Altaussee thanks to a toothache. Two months earlier, Posey was in the ancient city of Trier in eastern Germany with Kirstein and needed treatment. The dentist he found introduced him to his son-in-law, who was hoping to earn safe passage for his family to Paris, even though he had helped Herman Goering, Hitler’s second-in-command, steal trainload after trainload of art. The son-in-in-law told them the location of Goering's collection as well as Hitler's stash at Altaussee.

Hitler claimed Altaussee as the perfect hideaway for loot intended for his Linz museum. The complex series of tunnels had been mined by the same families for 3,000 years, as Stout noted in his journal. Inside, the conditions were constant, between 40 and 47 degrees and about 65 percent humidity, ideal for storing the stolen art. The deepest tunnels were more than a mile inside the mountain, safe from enemy bombs even if the remote location was discovered. The Germans built floors, walls, and shelving as well as a workshop deep in the chambers. From 1943 through early 1945, a stream of trucks transported tons of treasures into the tunnels.
      When Stout arrived there on May 21, 1945, shortly after hostilities ended, he chronicled the contents based on Nazi records: 6,577 paintings, 2,300 drawings or watercolors, 954 prints, 137 pieces of sculpture, 129 pieces of arms and armor, 79 baskets of objects, 484 cases of objects thought to be archives, 78 pieces of furniture, 122 tapestries, 1,200-1,700 cases apparently books or similar, and 283 cases contents completely unknown. The Nazis had built elaborate storage shelving and a conservation workshop deep within the mine, where the main chambers were more than a mile inside the mountain.

[285 words]

[Time 5]

Stout also noted that there were plans for the demolition of the mine. Two months earlier, Hitler had issued the “Nero Decree,” which stated in part:

All military transport and communication facilities, industrial establishments and supply depots, as well as anything else of value within Reich territory, which could in any way be used by the enemy immediately or within the foreseeable future for the prosecution of the war, will be destroyed.

The Nazi district leader near Altaussee, August Eigruber, interpreted the Fuhrer’s words as an order to destroy any objects of value, which required the demolition of the mines so the artwork would not fall into enemy hands. He moved eight crates into the mines in April. They were marked "Marble - Do Not Drop," but actually contained 1,100 pound bombs.

His plans, however, were thwarted by a combination of local miners wanting to save their livelihood and Nazi officials who considered Eigruber’s plan folly, according to books by Edsel and Nicholas. The mine director convinced Eigruber to set smaller charges to augment the bombs, then ordered the bombs removed without the district leader’s knowledge. On May 3, days before Posey and Kirstein entered, the local miners removed the crates with the large bombs. By the time Eigruber learned, it was too late. Two days later, the small charges were fired, closing the mine's entrances, sealing the art safely inside.

Stout originally thought the removal would take place over a year, but that changed in June 1945 when the Allies began to set the zones of post-VE day Europe and Altaussee seemed destined for Soviet control, meaning some of Europe’s great art treasures could disappear into Joseph Stalin’s hands. The Soviets had “Trophy Brigades” whose job was to plunder enemy treasure (it’s estimated they stole millions of objects, including Old Master drawings, paintings, and books).
[306 words]

[Time 6]

Stout was told to move everything by July 1. It was an impossible order.

"Loaded less than two trucks by 11:30," Stout wrote on June 18. "Too slow. Need larger crew."

By June 24, Stout extended the workday to 4 a.m. to 10 p.m., but the logistics were daunting. Communication was difficult; he was often unable to contact Posey. There weren't enough trucks for the trip to the collecting point, the former Nazi Party headquarters, in Munich, 150 miles away. And the ones he got often broke down. There wasn't enough packing material. Finding food and billets for the men proved difficult. And it rained. "All hands grumbling," Stout wrote.

By July 1, the boundaries had not been settled so Stout and his crew moved forward. He spent a few days packing the Bruges Madonna, which Nicholas describes as “looking very much like a large Smithfield ham.” On July 10, it was lifted onto a mine cart and Stout walked it to the entrance, where it and the Ghent altarpiece were loaded onto trucks. The next morning Stout accompanied them to the Munich collecting point.

[185 words]

[The rest]

On July 19, he reported that 80 truckloads, 1,850 paintings, 1,441 cases of paintings and sculpture, 11 sculptures, 30 pieces of furniture and 34 large packages of textiles had been removed from the mine. There was more, but not for Stout who left on the RMS Queen Elizabeth on Aug. 6 to return to home on his way to a second monuments tour in Japan. In her book, Nicholas says Stout, during just more than a year in Europe, had taken one and a half days off.

Stout rarely mentioned his central role campaigning for the Monuments Men and then saving countless pieces of priceless art during the war. He spoke about the recoveries at Altaussee and two other mines briefly in that 1978 oral history, but spent most of the interview talking about his museum work.

But Lincoln Kirstein didn’t hold back to his biographer. Stout, he said, “was the greatest war hero of all time – he actually saved all the art that everybody else talked about.”

[168 words]
Source: Smithsonian
http://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/true-story-monuments-men-180949569/

本帖子中包含更多资源

您需要 登录 才可以下载或查看,没有帐号?立即注册

x
板凳
 楼主| 发表于 2014-2-23 21:02:19 | 只看该作者
Part III: Obstacle

Professors are working to understand and solve policy problems
By Danielle Allen, Saturday, February 22, 8:30 AM

[Paraphrase 7]

Last weekend, New York Times columnist Nicholas Kristof lamented a lost era when academics were public intellectuals who strode the halls of power, remedying the world’s ills with elegant essays in Foreign Affairs. These days, Kristof suggested, scholars are remiss if we do not sally forth in the public interest armed with pithy tweets.

Academics, he said, have blanketed themselves in turgid prose, and therefore we have mainly ourselves to blame for public indifference to our work. In a follow-up piece, his one piece of hard evidence for academia’s alleged degeneracy was the 1996 Sokal affair, in which a polemicist published a fake article — a wretched piece of writing and argumentation — in the journal Social Text. This is akin to judging the world of journalism by the fabrications of Stephen Glass, also nearly two decades old.

Let’s at least update the picture. Here are key features of the contemporary academy worth understanding:

Progress in the biological sciences directly connected to the high-impact domain of health care have fueled the greatest growth areas of the academy for the past three decades. Thanks to journals such asNature and Science, this work gets “translated” for the general public. And a number of natural scientists report for government duty; among them, the physicist energy secretaries Steven Chuand Ernest Moniz.

Remarkable breakthroughs in mathematics and computation have enabled advances — economic and political — in understanding social systems. These breakthroughs have been recognized with Nobel Prizes to the likes of Leonid Hurwicz,Eric Maskin and Elinor Ostrom. Ostrom’s work has been important for efforts to develop policy approaches to climate change. The developments drive increases in the amount of quantitative or difficult theoretical material found in scholarly articles. This is a feature of the contemporary social sciences that Kristof criticized. Yet the field he singled out as an example of continued public relevance is economics, and, within the social sciences, that dismal science is king of the quants.

Work in area studies — concentration on specific regions such as the Middle East or Southeast Asia — has declined, as Kristof said. This is partly because many scholars aspire to find patterns transcending culture and place but also because the federal government has reduced funding for area studies from Title VI of the Higher Education Act. In 2011, such funding was roughly halved, from $34 million to $18 million. With additional dramatic cuts in Titles VII and VIII and the failure of our K-12 schools to cultivate second languages, colleges no longer have student populations with which to build area studies programs. New York and Los Angeles have school-age populations that speak more than a hundred different native languages. Therein lies a resource of profound value left largely untapped.

Finally, the professoriate is shrinking. I doubt that in absolute terms there are fewer “public intellectuals” now than 50 years ago. The New York Times’ opinion page does not lack for scholarly opining. At the Huffington Post my tribe is thick, and Kristof quoted a passel of high-profile academics. Yet all is not well in academe. In 1969, roughly 78 percent of faculty was in tenure-track or tenured jobs; by 2009, it was 34 percent. Adjuncts have become the majority. If we members of the professoriate have a problem, it is that we do not teach enough. (As a scholar at a research institute, I am Exhibit A.)

There are also relevant features outside the academy. Getting into government is probably trickier than in the past. When the Obama White House requested that I serve on the National Council on the Humanities, I agreed to have my name put forward. I went through the lengthy FBI check, including repeated probing of friends about my nonexistent drug use.

But in the end the White House decided not to move my nomination forward. There were two reasons. First, taxes. In 2009 and 2010, the years of my divorce, I filed my taxes late — four weeks and 10 days, respectively. Second, I was not willing to commit to never criticizing the administration, nor to restricting my publishing agenda to topics that were unlikely to be controversial. There is just no point trying to be a public intellectual if you can’t speak your mind. This requirement was conveyed and discussed through phone calls; I have no written record to prove it. But that was how it went.

Why did the White House want such restrictions? Lawyers told me that the administration didn’t want to have to deal with even one news cycle being overtaken by media frenzy about something some low-level official had said. The administration was trying to survive in our 21st-century media environment.

If we have a problem with the intellectual caliber of our culture — and I think we do — it is everybody’s doing, not just the profs.

[793 words]

Source: Washingtonpost
http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/professors-are-working-to-understand-and-solve-public-policy-problems/2014/02/21/bb5f67ae-9b17-11e3-975d-107dfef7b668_story.html
地板
 楼主| 发表于 2014-2-23 21:08:53 | 只看该作者
沙发~
今天的speed有个电影哈
盟军夺宝队The Monuments Men
http://movie.mtime.com/181203/
今天文章还是略长,下次争取在1100以内啦

speaker:
sb's head is rolling 人头落地,某人要倒霉了
drop the ball 不靠谱
cover for sb 替人掩饰
go down the memory lane 回忆起旧事
obstacle:
the shrinking of professions in U.S.A
the situation in different fields
the shrinking size of academia
the strict restrictions from government

5#
发表于 2014-2-23 21:17:02 | 只看该作者
板凳~~~~~  今天的越障 不知道理解的对不对= =读完第一遍 觉得完全抓不住重点

Speaker: Talking about a person who is unreliable.传说中的不靠谱   sb's head is going to roll 的解释很有喜感。

01:45
Monuments Men,a movie based on a book with the same name,tells a real story that a group of Europeans tried their best to protect many art works during World War Two.

01:41
Introduce several members of the organization and the limited resource they had.

01:38
The changing point is the dentist which help them get into the Linz museum.Then introduce the Linz museum and its collections.

01:14
Hitler decided to destory all there art treasure.And the organization trie their best to save the treasures.But before they completed the task,the war ended and some of the treasures may disappeare into Soviet's hand.

01:30
So before the army of Soviet came,they did everything they could do to move these art treasures and succeeded at last.After this event,Stout rarely talked about this thing.

05:52
Main Idea: Academic put much attention on policy problems less on academic issues.
Nicholas Kristof said that we just lost the era of real academic.And then the article gives the current situation of the academic field.
Progress in the biological sciences is concentrating more on health care which a high-impact domain.And many scientist report for government duty.And many breakthroughs in mathematics and computation were made to understand the social system and make policies.Works in area studies were influenced greatly by the government funding.And the professoriate is shrinking.These all shows the change in academic area.
And sth outside the acaemic is also changing.Getting into government is probably trickier than in the past.While the government has more restriction on people.
6#
发表于 2014-2-23 21:19:57 | 只看该作者
谢谢penny~专门去查了一下这个电影!有偶喜欢的马特达蒙~

掌管 5 00:00:48.81 00:09:16.29
掌管 4 00:01:36.85 00:08:27.48
掌管 3 00:02:12.49 00:06:50.62
掌管 2 00:02:19.11 00:04:38.13
掌管 1 00:02:19.02 00:02:19.02
今天speed看的不太清楚,对于这种有叙事的还是晕啊
---SPEED---
T2
The True Story of the Monuments Men.
The author describe the how two men protect two art jewels in order to introduce the Monuments Men.
Their work was largely forgotten to the general public until an art scholar read an obituary.
The author talked about the story which attract the art scholar to study the Monuments Men.
Without the [Monuments Men], a lot of the most important treasures of European culture would be lost
------------------------------------------------------------------------
T3
The author introduced several Monuments Mens, especially Stout.
Kirstein and Posey discovered a lot of famous art jewels, Nowhere, notes Nicholas,
were more of those treasures collected than at Altaussee, where Hitler stored the treasures intended for his Fuhrermuseum.
George Stout, who had pioneered new techniques of art conservation before the war working at Harvard's Fogg Museum.
Stout was one of a handful of Monuments Men regularly in forward areas,who often operated alone with limited resources.
T4
This part is about a story.
The process of the stealing of some famous art in Altaussee.
The Allies knew of Altaussee thanks to a toothache.
Because the dentist's son-in-law told them the location of Goering's collection as well as Hitler's stash at Altaussee.
From 1943 through early 1945, a stream of trucks transported tons of treasures into the tunnels and at the same time,
Germanis tried their best to made Altaussee a perfect hideaway for loot intended for Linz museum.
Stout chronicled the contents based on Nazi records, which included a great amount of art jewels.
T5
The plans for the demolition of the mine.
Hitler had issued the “Nero Decree,”which means anything of value within Reich territory would be destrory if they can be benefit for enemis.
August moved eight crates(which contained 1,100 pound bombs) into the mines in April.
it’s estimated The Soviets stole millions of objects, including Old Master drawings, paintings, and books.
T6
Stout was told to move everything by July 1.
It was an impossible order because the logistics were daunting.
1)Communication was difficult
2)There weren't enough trucks for the trip to the collecting point
3)There wasn't enough packing material.
4)It rained.
By July 11 morning Stout accompanied them to the Munich collecting point.
---OBSTACLE---
The author says that the professoriates are decreasing. The reasons are both academic and political.

7#
发表于 2014-2-23 21:42:44 | 只看该作者
Thx, 指头兄~
--------------------------------
Speaker:
hold up: to delay.
someone's head will roll: someone will be punished or get trouble for something.
leave in a lurch: you have a big problem, a very difficult situation.
Columbus and Cleveland belong to Ohio.
drop the ball: not to do what you are supposed to do; unreliable.
cover for someone: to do something so that other people don't know that this person has made a mistake, you are perhaps lying or doing something so that other people don't know the mistake.
to be patient: to be tolerate or put up with difficult situation without losing your temper.
saint: a perfect person or good person.
flake: an unreliable person, someone who doesn't do what he supposed to do.
beat me: informal way , i don't know.
in for: to be expecting or deserving to have something done.
in charge: to be responsible for some projects or groups.
light a fire under someone: to do or say something to get that person to work to do something esp. if the person is lazy or unreliable.
keep on someone: to bother them repeatedly untill they do what you want them to do.
give sb. a line: give sb. a excuse.
lane: like a small road.
take on a trip down memory lane: remind sb. of the pleasant things in the past.

Speed:
2'23''
2'12''
1'31''
1'48''
1'06''
54''

O
-4'46''

8#
发表于 2014-2-23 22:01:53 | 只看该作者
obstacle
9#
发表于 2014-2-23 22:02:31 | 只看该作者
谢楼主~

time2 3'37"67
The Monuments Men saved lots of art works from Nazis, which are treasure of the whole Europe now. (看的稍稍快了点前面的细节神马都没看懂= =)
Time3 4'27"77
P and K found many art works stored by Hitler from a museum.They add CS to the Monuments Men. CS has been to many countries to recover art works. (果然一慢神马都看懂了= =)
Time4 3‘06“81
P and K can find A because they called a dentist for treatment. The dentist has a son-in-law knew where Hitler stored the art works(A.......).
The A...... is inside a mountain which has a perfect temperature and humidity for storing art works. The tunnel is longer than 1 mile so that the art works would be safe even the mountain been bombed.
Time5 3'45"56
Hitler commanded to destroy any things that could be valuable for enemy, including the mine. The command didn't be inplemented because both mine owners and officials did not want to destroy the mine.
S thought the art works would be sent to outside over a year, but it changed because the Suviet Union would control this place and they may steal the art works.
Time6 1'33"48
S was told to move everything before July 1st. But he had a shortage of trucks and many other materials. Even though he lengthened the working time he and workers still did not finish the work until July 10.
Obstacle 9'50"02
The author says that the professoriates are decreasing. The reasons are both academic and political.
10#
发表于 2014-2-23 22:33:06 | 只看该作者
首页最后一楼~~谢谢Penny

Working WithUnreliable People
Hold up:to delay, to make something happen later than the original plan
Headswill roll, someone will be punished for this, perhaps being fired
Be leftin a lurch, you have a bigger problem, a very difficult situation
Drop theball: not to do what you are supposed to do, to be unreliable
Thepatience of a saint: put up with difficult situation without getting angry
Flake:someone who doesn't do what he supposed to do
Beats me:informal way of saying I don't know
Be infor: expect something
Light afire under someone: to say or do something to make that person to do things
Keep onsomeone = nag someone
Givesomeone a line: give someone an excuse
A tripdown memory lane

The True Story of the Monuments Men
Time2:2'23" After Lynn Nicholas read an obituary about a French woman, we foundthat Monuments Men saved a lot of the most important treasures of Europeanculture
Time3:2'40" Early in the war, Monuments Men like Stout had very little resourcesto save art works
Time4:2'13" Thanks to a toothache, a dentist's son in law, the allies discoveredHitler's Linz museum -- Altaussee
Time5:2'21" Plans, that wanted to destroy anything valuable, were thwarted by acombination of local miners and Nazi officials
Time6:2'22" Stout's achievement

Professors are working to understand and solve policyproblems
Time7:6'03"
We shouldunderstand the contemporary academy in: a, progress in biological sciences havefueled the greatest growth areas of the academy; b, work in area studies hasdeclined.
There arealso relevant features outside the academy: getting into government is probablytrickier than in the past
Ifwe have a problem with the intellectual caliber of our culture, it is everybody’s doing, not just theprofs.
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

Mark一下! 看一下! 顶楼主! 感谢分享! 快速回复:

手机版|ChaseDream|GMT+8, 2024-4-27 00:55
京公网安备11010202008513号 京ICP证101109号 京ICP备12012021号

ChaseDream 论坛

© 2003-2023 ChaseDream.com. All Rights Reserved.

返回顶部