have fun and have a good weekend~
Part I: Speaker
ESL Podcast 951 – Parts of a Hospital

[Rephrase 1]

Slow Dialog: 1:12
Explanations: 3:34
Fast Dialog: 15:45

[Transcript]
Jordan: Excuse me, my girlfriend was brought into the hospital about two hours ago, but I can’t find her.

Admissions Clerk: Why was she brought into the hospital?

Jordan: I’m not sure. I got a call from her coworker, but she didn’t give me any details.

Admissions Clerk: If it weren’t an accident, then she wouldn’t be in the emergency room or the trauma unit.

Jordan: It may have been her heart. She has a heart condition.

Admissions Clerk: Then she might be in the cardiology department. If she is in severe condition, she’ll be in the ICU.

Jordan: It may also be the baby. She’s pregnant.

Admissions Clerk: Then she might be in the obstetrics and gynecology department. And if the baby has been born, it would be in the neonatal unit.

Jordan: I’m just not sure where to go. Maybe I’ll start in the cardiology department.

Admissions Clerk: That’s fine. Go past the neurology and oncology departments and it’s on your right. If you see the burn unit, then you’ve gone too far.

Jordan: You can’t look her up for me to see if she’s been admitted?

Admissions Clerk: I’m sorry, but our computer systems are down right now. If you wait until they’re up again, I can try to find her for you.

Jordan: And go out of my mind worrying? No thanks. I’m going to find her, even if I have to look behind every bedpan!

Source: esl

http://www.eslpod.com/website/show_podcast.php?issue_id=14437438

本帖子中包含更多资源

您需要 登录 才可以下载或查看,没有帐号?立即注册

x
收藏收藏 收藏收藏
沙发
 楼主| 发表于 2013-11-29 21:38:06 | 只看该作者
Part II: Speed
Article 1:
Stores open early on Thanksgiving but shoppers in no rush
[Time 2]
(Reuters) - Jill McCormack didn't mind waiting in the cold for five hours on Thursday. She was frozen, but first in line when the Macy's Inc flagship store in New York opened for the first time ever on Thanksgiving Day.

At 8 p.m., the 30-year-old teacher from Ireland raced into the store, arms linked with her sister-in-law, as shoppers cheered and employees stared.

"Anything that's on sale that we can fit in our suitcases we're going to buy," said McCormack, who came to New York with empty luggage to fill with new purchases. "The rest of the family is out to dinner. They think we're mad," she said.

While most in the United States spent the day bonding with friends and family over turkey dinners and football games, some were enticed by big discounts and open stores to begin their holiday bargain-hunting a day earlier than the traditional "Black Friday" sprees that follow Thanksgiving.

With six fewer shopping days this year than in 2012, Macy's and a slew of other stores opened on Thanksgiving for the first time in a bare-knuckle brawl for a bigger slice of holiday sales.

Macy's was packed, and overall online sales for the day were up an estimated 11.5 percent over last year, according to a report at IBM Digital Analytics Benchmark.

But many shoppers interviewed by Reuters were being careful and buying only one or two items.

"I'm coming in for the TV, and that's it for today," said Ioannis Gomez, 20, of Westbury, Long Island as he waited outside a Best Buy Co Inc which had provided shoppers with blue hats and scarves bearing the retailer's logo.

Many forecasters expect overall sales growth to be tepid in a season plagued by shaky consumer confidence and given that there are few fashion must-haves.

"The ones that are opening earlier are going to get more sales, but in the end, I don't think the overall pie gets any bigger. It's just a share gain," said Brian Yarbrough, a retail analyst with Edward Jones.
【338】

[Time 3]
EARLIER OPENINGS, HOLIDAY PAY

With deals on offer before Thanksgiving tables were even set on Thursday, some disagreed with the retail industry's approach. Critics circulated online petitions, and a handful of franchise owners said they had defied corporate orders by keeping their stores closed.

Target Corp, Best Buy and Toys "R" Us Inc opened earlier on Thursday than they did last year. Many Wal-Mart Stores Inc U.S. locations were open all day, with Thanksgiving specials beginning at 6 p.m.

Department store chains Kohl's Corp, J.C. Penney Co Inc and Macy's all announced earlier this year they would open on Thanksgiving Day for the first time.

Retail analyst Yarbrough estimates that overall sales for November and December will be up 2.8 percent. That is a more conservative view than the 3.9 percent jump forecast by the National Retail Federation.

The profit on those extra sales will depend on whether the eye-catching bargains are margin-squeezing loss leaders, analysts said.

SHOPPERS EAGER FOR SALES

Manny Ramirez, 25, was first in line at the Best Buy in Iselin, New Jersey. For about $435, he bought a 39-inch TV, an Apple Inc iPod Nano music player and an Amazon.com Inc Kindle e-reader - and nothing else. "I did my homework and knew what I wanted to get," he said.

Another shopper, Rohit Kumar, 33, emerged from the store with just a small blue bag - he bought just a Microsoft Corp XBox 360 videogame console and a Google Inc Chromecast digital media player. He had arrived at 6 p.m. and only had a 10-minute wait to enter the store. He was checked out by 7:15 p.m., and said he saved about $75 total.

Some say retailers' fortunes depend a lot more on wealthier shoppers who have benefited from rising share and home prices this year.

"There are two sides to the story. If you look at households with over $100,000 of income, those folks are going to spend twice as much as people of incomes under $100,000," said FTI Consulting's Steve Coulombe.

At Macy's flagship store in New York, five hundred employees were expected to work Thursday night. Many appeared shocked when the doors opened and thousands of shoppers flooded in.

"This is madness," said Sharon, a store employee who declined to give her surname. "We are expecting one million people," she said. "We don't get trained for this."
【394】
Source: yahoo finance
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/stores-open-early-thanksgiving-shoppers-062056699.html

Article 2:
Be Grateful More Often
[Time 4]
Although I didn’t move to the United States until I was an adult, every year I look forward to one of the most American of holidays: Thanksgiving. Turkey, pumpkin pie, long hours of cooking and relaxing with family and friends make the day a particularly fun one. I also look forward to Thanksgiving for another important reason: it is a day that reminds us of the importance of expressing gratitude.

Even though many of us have numerous occasions to feel grateful in both our personal and professional lives, we often miss out on opportunities to express gratitude, especially at work. A recent survey of 2,000 Americans released earlier this year by the John Templeton Foundation found that people are less likely to feel or express gratitude at work than anyplace else. We are not even thankful for our jobs, which tend to rank dead last when asked to list the things we’re grateful for in our lives.

Failing to express gratitude when we can is a missed opportunity for at least two reasons. First, feeling grateful has several beneficial effects on us: gratitude enables us to savor positive experiences, cope with stressful circumstances and be resilient in the face of challenges, and strengthen our social relationships. Psychological research [PDF] has shown that writing letters of gratitude once a week over a six-week period leads to greater life satisfaction as compared to simply recording ordinary life events.
【236】

[Time 5]
Counting our blessings doesn’t just cheer us up; it can also improve our health and well being. In a series of well-known studies , psychologists Robert Emmons and Michael McCollough asked participants to keep weekly journals for ten weeks. Some were asked to write about five things or people they were grateful for each week, some were asked to write about five hassles that they experienced during the week, and a third group was asked to write about any five events that occurred during the week. Participants asked to list hassles included the following: hard-to-find parking, spending their money too quickly, and burned macaroni and cheese. Those who listed blessings mentioned experiences such as the generosity of their friends, learning something interesting, and seeing the sunset through the clouds. Those in this gratitude group scored higher on measures of positive emotions, self-reported symptoms of their physical and mental health, and they also felt more connected to others as compared to those who made routine notes about their days or wrote about hassles.

A second reason to pause to express gratitude is that even simple expressions of gratitude can have powerful and long-lasting effects on those who receive them. In our research, Adam Grant and I found that expressions of gratitude increase prosocial behavior by enabling people to feel socially valued. In one study, participants edited a student’s cover letter and then received either a neutral message from the student (i.e., “Dear [name], I just wanted to let you know that I received your feedback on my cover letter”) or a grateful one (“Dear [name], I just wanted to let you know that I received your feedback on my cover letter. Thank you so much! I am really grateful”). The student sending the message subsequently asked for help on another cover letter—well after the experiment had ended and participants had no obvious incentives to help. Among those who were thanked, 66% were willing to provide further assistance, as compared to just 32% of those who had not been thanked.
【340】

[Time 6]
In a second study, we found that participants who helped a first student (“Eric”) and then were thanked were more likely to help a different student (“Steven”) later on. Only 25% of participants who helped Eric and received a neutral note decided to help Steven; by contrast, 55% of those who helped Eric and received a thank-you note from him decided to help Steven. Thus, receiving expressions of gratitude made people feel socially valued and motivated them to help other beneficiaries.

These simple expressions of gratitude are quite powerful in the context of helping, but their effects are even broader. In one experiment, we divided 41 fundraisers at a public U.S. university who were soliciting alumni donations into two groups: the “thanked” and the “unthanked.” The thanked received a visit from the director of annual giving, who told them: “I am very grateful for your hard work. We sincerely appreciate your contributions to the university.” The other group received daily feedback on their effectiveness, but no expressions of gratitude from their director. The result? The weekly call volume of fundraisers in the thanked group increased by 50% on average the week after the intervention took place, all because the director’s expression of gratitude strengthened the fundraisers’ feelings of social worth.

Thanksgiving is a great time to think about gratitude, but a dive into the research around giving thanks makes it clear that we should be doing more of it throughout the year.
【242】

Source: hbr
http://blogs.hbr.org/2013/11/be-grateful-more-often/
板凳
 楼主| 发表于 2013-11-29 21:38:07 | 只看该作者
Part III: Obstacle
Article 3:
Reduce Your Stress in Two Minutes a Day

[Time 7]
Bill Rielly had it all: a degree from West Point, an executive position at Microsoft, strong faith, a great family life, and plenty of money.  He even got along well with his in-laws!  So why did he have so much stress and anxiety that he could barely sleep at night? I have worked with Bill for several years now and we both believe his experience could be useful for other capable, driven individuals.

At one time, no level of success seemed enough for Bill. He learned at West Point that the way to solve problems was to persevere through any pain. But this approach didn’t seem to work with reducing his stress. When he finished his second marathon a few minutes slower than his goal, he felt he had failed. So to make things “right” he ran another marathon just five weeks later. His body rejected this idea, and he finished an hour slower than before. Finally, his wife convinced him to figure out what was really driving his stress. He spent the next several years searching for ways to find more joy in the journey. In the process he found five tools. Each was ordinary enough, but together they proved life-changing and enabled his later success as an Apple executive.

Breathing.  He started small by taking three deep breaths each time he sat down at his desk.  He found it helped him relax. After three breaths became a habit, he expanded to a few minutes a day. He found he was more patient, calmer, more in the moment. Now he does 30 minutes a day. It restores his perspective while enabling him to take a fresh look at a question or problem and come up with new solutions. Deep breathing exercises have been part of yoga practices for thousands of years, but recent research done at Harvard’s Massachusetts General Hospital document the positive impact deep breathing has on your body’s ability to deal with stress.

Meditating.  When Bill first heard about meditation, he figured it was for hippies.  But he was surprised to find meditators he recognized:  Steve Jobs, Oprah Winfrey, Marc Benioff, and Russell Simmons among them. Encouraged, he started with a minute a day.  His meditation consisted of “body scanning” which involved focusing his mind and energy on each section of the body from head to toe. Recent research at Harvard has shown meditating for as little as 8 weeks can actually increase the grey matter in the parts of the brain responsible for emotional regulation and learning. In other words, the meditators had increased their emotional control and brain power!

Listening. Bill found if he concentrated on listening to other people the way he focused when he meditated his interaction immediately became richer. The other person could feel he was listening, almost physically. And when they knew he was listening they formed a bond with him faster.  Life almost immediately felt richer and more meaningful. As professor Graham Bodie has empirically noted, listening is the quintessential positive interpersonal communication behavior.

Questioning.  This tool isn’t about asking other people questions, it’s about questioning the thoughts your mind creates. Just because your mind creates a thought doesn’t make it true. Bill got in the habit of asking himself “Is that thought true?”  And if he wasn’t absolutely certain it was, he just let it go. He said: “Thank your mind for coming up with the thought and move on.  I found this liberating because it gave me an outlet for negative thoughts, a relief valve I didn’t have before.” The technique of questioning your thoughts has been popularized by Byron Katie who advocates what she calls “the great undoing.” Her experience and research show there is power in acknowledging rather than repressing negative thoughts. Instead of trying to ignore something we believe to be true, questioning allows us to see our thoughts “face to face” and to discredit them because they are untrue.

Purpose. Bill committed to living with purpose. Not so much a Life’s Purpose — it was easier than that. He committed to purposefully doing whatever he was doing. To be doing it and only it. If he decided to watch TV he really watched it. If he was having a meal he took the time to enjoy the meal. There is research to support Bill’s experience. In “A Pace Not Dictated by Electrons: An Empirical Study of Work Without Email” Gloria Mark and Armand Cardello cite evidence to suggest knowledge workers check email as much as 36 times an hour. The result is increased stress. Giving each activity your undivided attention ensures you’re in the moment and fully living that experience.

An important key for Bill in all of this was starting small—very small. It’s important because you can’t take on stress in a stressful way. Often we try to bring about change through sheer effort and we put all of our energy into a new initiative. But you can’t beat stress using the same techniques that created the stress in the first place.

Instead, the key is to do less than you feel you want to. If you feel like breathing for two minutes, do it for just one minute. If you are up for a day of really listening to people deeply, do it for the next meeting only. Leave yourself eager to try it again. What you want is to develop a sustainable habit: a stress-free approach to reducing your stress.
【909】

Source:hbr
http://blogs.hbr.org/2013/11/reduce-your-stress-in-two-minutes-a-day/
地板
发表于 2013-11-29 21:44:11 | 只看该作者
bandeng后面是什么!?
=====================
Time 2 1'36'' Shopping for discount on holidays.
Time 3 2'12''
Time 4 1'10'' On Thanksgiving, we should express our gratitude more, and doing this benefits us in two aspects:1. It helps us to have more positive feelings and more satisfactions.
Time 5 1'45'' Expressing thanks also benefits our health: mentally & physically. And the 2nd reason for expressing gratitude is that this action can have long-term effect on the people who are thanked.
Time 6 1'03'' Studies show that thanksgiving make people feel more social connected and more sense of social worth. We should not only thank on holiday, but also do it throughout the year.
Obstacle 4'47'' Several key points to cope with stress: 1. Breath 2. Mediation 3. Listening 4. Questioning 5. Purpose
And keep in mind that starting small and doing it less than you feel you want to.
5#
发表于 2013-11-29 21:55:31 | 只看该作者
占~~~~~感谢KIM

Speaker:Introduce departments in the hospital.

02:00
Because there is 6 fewer shopping days this year than in 2012,many stores open early to get more sales.But many shoppers seems to be in no rush.They just buy onr or two items.

02:26
Many stores opened early on that day to increase the sales.The sale in November and December will increase about 3%.Many shoppers did not buy a lot of things.And some people thinks that household whose income is about 100000 dollars may buy more things that thouse under 100000.

01:20
It is important to remind expressing gratitude.Failing to express gratitude when we can is a missed opportunity for at least two reasons.One reason is that be grateful has beneficial effect on us.

01:39
Being gratuful can not only cheer us up,but it also can improve our physical health.Another reason is that expressing gratitude will have powerful and long-lasting effect on people who receive it.One study shows that people who receive gratitude will be more likely to help you again.

00:53
Another experiment shows that people who receive gratitude are more willing to help others.And being grateful more have border effect.People may sponsor more money to the people who give gratitude.

05:08
Main Idea:Reduce Your Stress in Two Minutes a Day
Bill Rielly was troubled in his stess for a long period.He is a successful man,but no level of success seemed enough for him.During his fight against the stress,he finds five ordinary but useful tools.
1 Breathing deep breath can help him to relax
2 Meditating Meditating can help him to increase his emotional control and brain power
3 Listening
4 Questioning Question himself and thoughts created by his mind.Then let them becom true.
5 Purpose Think about every small purpose.
All these tools need to be start samll,or you will have more stress.
6#
发表于 2013-11-29 22:00:06 | 只看该作者
DDDDDDDDDDDDD
----------------------------------
掌管 5        00:01:14.21        00:09:53.39
掌管 4        00:02:32.70        00:08:39.17
掌管 3        00:01:51.13        00:06:06.46
掌管 2        00:02:14.32        00:04:15.33
掌管 1        00:02:01.01        00:02:01.01

7#
发表于 2013-11-29 22:01:20 | 只看该作者
55555555555 说好的首页10楼被小野抢了 女人何苦为难女人...

哈哈 菌菌撤了 我回首页了~
做了个speaker把位置坐稳~

speaker:
a dialogue happens in a hospital.
The man received a call from his girlfriend's coworker and failed to  find his girlfriend in the hospital.
there are lot of deparments in the hopspital  to look for his girlfriend, such as ICU, neo-natal??(since his girlfriend is pregnant)
The doctor could not find his gf in the computer since the system was down right then.
The man rejected to sit down to wait for the recovery of the computer system and decided to look for his girlfriend right now.

Obstacle【909】7‘09
Nice tips~  Maybe I will  try some methods mentioned in the passage.
The passage cited Bill as an example who have a pretty good life in material, to prove that the following small ways can reduce stress:
1) breathing: breathe the fresh air and bring about some new ideas
2)meditating: focus on every part of the body can increase emotional control and brain power
3)listenning: listenning to people and people will feel that they are listened, then get a faster relationship.
4)qustion: question ourselves' thoughts, which may be untrue and discredit them.
5)purpose:just focus on what we are doing right now, give undivided attention on what we are doing and live that experience.
keep hungry to do those things, do not over execute. We can reduce stress in a stressful way.
8#
发表于 2013-11-29 22:08:55 | 只看该作者
谢谢kim~

28-12
Speaker:
admission clerk:
ER=Emergency Room
trauma unit: injuries not diseases.
cardiology u: heart.
ICU=Intensive Care Unit.
obstetrics u: children-birth & women who are pregnant and who are having a baby.
gynecology u: female illnesses.
neonatal u: babies who have been born very recently within 24h of birth.
neurology u: nerves & brain.
oncology u: cancer.
burn unit: burn by fire & scald.
look sb. up: search for the person who's infor. in the database of computer.
go out of mind: go crazy or become irrational usu. bc u r very about sth.
over.....

Speed:
T2-2'11''
T3-2'56''
*loss leader: something (as merchandise) sold at a loss in order to draw customers.
*surname: the name borne in common by members of a family.
T4-1'29''
T5-1'39''
T6-1'25''

Obstacle-5'09''

Five ways of pressure-relieving:
Breathing: deep breathing exercises.
Meditating:->increase emothional control & brain power.
Listening: ->further interpersonal communication.
Questioning:->infro. filter.
Purpose:->concentration.
The premise of FBMLQP is to take small step firstly.

9#
发表于 2013-11-29 22:18:07 | 只看该作者
哇也……又来晚了
谢谢Kim
1:49
2:16
1:17
1:57
1:20
Obstacle 5:58
Bill found five tools to reduce his stress
breathing---more patient,calm; take a fresh look at a question or problem
meditating---increased emotional control and brain power
listening---positive interpersonal communication behavior
questioning---discredit untrue thoughts
purpose---focus on and enjoy every activity
Giving each activity your undivided attention ensures you're in the moment and fully living that experience.这句说的真好
do less than you feel you want to---leave yourself eager to try it again
10#
发表于 2013-11-29 22:49:59 | 只看该作者
kimwang53 发表于 2013-11-29 22:03
捉妖该找主页菌!ta又不做作业 还占楼 还不让别人占楼不做作业

帅锅,你是在找我吗?
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

Mark一下! 看一下! 顶楼主! 感谢分享! 快速回复:

手机版|ChaseDream|GMT+8, 2024-4-26 14:21
京公网安备11010202008513号 京ICP证101109号 京ICP备12012021号

ChaseDream 论坛

© 2003-2023 ChaseDream.com. All Rights Reserved.

返回顶部