查看: 8899|回复: 67
打印 上一主题 下一主题

[阅读小分队] 【Native Speaker每日综合训练—28系列】【28-10】经管

[复制链接]
跳转到指定楼层
楼主
发表于 2013-11-27 22:39:24 | 只看该作者 回帖奖励 |倒序浏览 |阅读模式
Official weibo: http://weibo.com/u/3476904471

Hey, guagua is going to use haulting english to prefare . thanks for the Yingjie's useful post methods.
Today's topic is woman .  
Have you remembered the sheryl sandberg 's speech: why we have few female leader?
Today's speaker is sheryl's another exciting graduate speech about woman  :
Girls,lean in,  you can do that,you can make it ~~ you can ~~ you can ~~ and so on .
Suddenly ,something spring to my mind,  the crazy speech of Georgia Tech Freshman Convocation ." you can do that,you can do that,.........."  
If you have never watched it ,  recommand here : http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNjAxNDEzNzYw.html   
you definitely deserve it.  Full of chicken Blood(right?) ~~~haha
Anyway,when you full of blood , come back to  Native speaker ,enjoy~~girls and boys .'

Note: i am sorry that there is no sounds version of this speech, so you only can watch it either on youku or on  youtube.  

Part I: Speaker

article 1    
Sheryl Sandberg, Barnard College Commencement 2011

[Rephrase 1]
[speech , 19:44]

Youku:  http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNDYzMzg1OTIw.html
Youtube:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdvXCKFNqTY

收藏收藏 收藏收藏
沙发
 楼主| 发表于 2013-11-27 22:39:25 | 只看该作者
  Part III: Obstacle

article4    

Girl talk

Working women today have it better than ever before. But few agree on how to help them rise further—or whether they still need help at all.

Work With Me: The 8 Blind Spots Between Men and Women in Business. By Barbara Annis and John Gray. Palgrave Macmillan; 272 pages;
A Rising Tide: Financing Strategies for Women-Owned Firms.By Susan Coleman and Alicia Robb. Stanford University Press; 288 pages;
The XX factor: How Working Women are Creating a New Society. By Alison Wolf. Profile; 464 pages;

[Paraphrase 7]

PEOPLE have been holding heated discussions recently about women’s experience in the workplace. The catalyst? A single Silicon Valley executive. Last month Sheryl Sandberg, chief operating officer at Facebook, published “Lean In”, a controversial manifesto on why women have not ascended to the most senior positions at companies (reviewed in our March 16th issue). She concludes that it is partly women’s own fault: they do not “lean in” and ask for promotions, pipe up at meetings and insist on taking a seat at the table. Three new books will not have the same impact as “Lean In”, but they offer some interesting new perspectives on how women are coping at work, and what is holding them back.
Some of it is down to simple miscommunication. Barbara Annis and John Gray argue in “Work With Me” that men and women are biologically wired to think and react differently to situations, and have “gender blind spots” when it comes to understanding their co-workers’ behaviour. Ms Annis, who leads workshops on gender for big companies and governments, and Mr Gray, author of “Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus”, a bestselling book in 1992 about relationship problems, have collaborated to produce an easy-to-read guide to workplace communications. Women ask more questions, gather more people’s opinions and seek collaboration with co-workers more frequently than men. Men view these preferences as signs of weakness, and women, in turn, grow annoyed by how competitively men work, and how quickly and unilaterally they arrive at conclusions.
If both female and male employees became more “gender intelligent” about how their work and behavioural preferences are hard-wired, it would contribute to a more harmonious workforce. Women have been choosing to leave companies at twice the rate of men, and more than half the women whom the authors met in workshops were considering leaving their firms. Women often tell their bosses that they are quitting for personal reasons, but the majority actually leave because they feel excluded from teams and not valued for their contributions. Yet the reality is that women often have trouble communicating with other women at work as well, though the authors do not explain in quite as much detail why this is so.
Communication and gender equality are not just problems at large firms. In “A Rising Tide” Susan Coleman and Alicia Robb look beyond women’s experience at big companies. They focus instead on women entrepreneurs, who have the potential to become leaders in their field, earn a high income and hire more women. In a positive shift, women have been starting more firms in the past decade. However, these tend to be in the service and retail industries (as opposed to fast-growth industries like technology). They also remain smaller than men’s firms.
Ms Coleman and Ms Robb point out that part of this may be by design; women sometimes want to keep their businesses small in order to balance their family responsibilities. However, women also often lack the financing that male entrepreneurs enjoy. They have fewer savings, so usually launch their businesses with less capital than men, and are less likely to apply for a loan for fear of being denied. And they have not had as much access to the masculine world of Silicon Valley: in 2000 they obtained only 5% of funding from venture capitalists, a notoriously male-dominated industry. During their first year of operation men raised 27 times more equity from outsiders for their start-ups than women.
How has the success of high-achievers differentiated them from other women? In “The XX Factor”, Alison Wolf, the director of public policy and management at Kings College London, argues that there are now around 70m highly educated, high-earning women around the world. They have more in common with elite men than with other women. These grandes dames tend to marry more often and have fewer children than less-educated women. They spend more time working, and, unexpectedly, more time parenting. Ms Sandberg also makes this point. As the demands on women in the workplace have increased, so too have the standards for being a good, involved mother—which adds to the challenges for women at the top.
Ms Wolf and Ms Sandberg ultimately differ, however, on whether the glass is half full or half empty for women. Ms Sandberg’s book is a call to female arms to change their behaviour so they can rise further. Ms Wolf concludes with an economist’s detachment. She says that given how much things have improved for women in the past century, it is “a little surprising to find so many elite women still arguing passionately for directed, top-down social change—change designed to improve things for female elites”.
Most people agree that more needs to change in the workplace. Men still occupy most top jobs, do not feel comfortable mentoring younger women and judge young men differently from young women (young men by their potential, young women by their past output). However, after decades of women failing to gain equal representation in executive suites, it is notable how many books now focus on women altering their behaviour, rather than men changing their way of doing things. Women cannot change their fate on their own. What happened to the responsibility for men to “lean in” to listen and advance women in the workforce, as well?
[929words]

source :Economist

http://www.economist.com/news/business-books-quarterly/21576073-working-women-today-have-it-better-ever-few-agree-how

本帖子中包含更多资源

您需要 登录 才可以下载或查看,没有帐号?立即注册

x
板凳
 楼主| 发表于 2013-11-27 22:39:26 | 只看该作者
             Part II: Speed        

article 2              
           7 Female CEOs You Need to Know
By Jada A. Graves
[Warm up]
Commentary about high-powered female professionals is often dichotomous. Praise for their empowering mantras couples with eye rolls at their advantages and wealth. Applause for their efforts to break the mold meets with cries of privilege being the reason they're able to do so. This isn't a column to continue that dialogue; this is a chance to highlight their achievement while also drawing some lessons from their career that can be applied universally to anyone's professional path.
[76 words]

[Time 2]
Marissa Mayer

Company: Yahoo

Upon becoming Google's 20th hire in 1999, Marissa Mayer also became the company's first female engineer. During her stint with the corporation she has had influence over the look and function of some of its best-known products, such as Google Maps, Google Earth and the Google Doodle. But Mayer probably made the most headlines of her career during last summer when she joined Yahoo and became that company's youngest CEO at age 37. Even more fodder: Mayer was pregnant at the time and announced her intention to return to work shortly after giving birth.
Career Lesson:Go against the grain. You probably already knew of the brouhaha regarding Mayer's abbreviated maternity leave or her edict to winnow telework privileges for Yahoo staff. What you might not know is in the nine months since Mayer was tapped as CEO, president and director, Yahoo has introduced a new email application for the iPad and Android tablets, as well as a new weather app for the iPhone.

Meg Whitman

Company: Hewlett-Packard

The illustrious résumé of Meg Whitman, president and CEO of computer company Hewlett-Packard, includes time served as an executive with The Walt Disney Company, DreamWorks, Procter & Gamble and Hasbro. Prior to coming on board at Hewlett-Packard in 2011, Whitman was the CEO at eBay. She also ran in the California gubernatorial race of 2010, losing to Edmund "Jerry" Brown, Jr.
Career Lesson:   Don't shy away from challenges. Whitman inherited a wounded company when she became CEO in 2011. The New York Times Bits blog notes, "H.P. is one of the world's biggest technology companies in terms of sales, but for years it has been marked with financial losses, bungled acquisitions and turbulence in the executive ranks and boardroom." Yet Whitman has promised the company will be in the black by 2014 as a result of expanding Hewlett-Packard's platform to include cloud computing and big data.
[320 words]

[Time 3]
Denise Morrison

Company: Campbell Soup Co.

Ambition and excellence runs in Denise Morrison's family. She's the oldest of four girls, all of whom hold or have held executive positions. In Morrison's case, she became the first female CEO of the Campbell Soup Co. She began working there in 2003 as president of global sales and chief customer officer, and she's held other positions in the food industry, including leadership roles with Kraft Foods, Nabisco and Nestle.
Career Lesson:Embrace change. Morrison has only been the CEO at Campbell Soup since 2011, but she has already left her mark by introducing Campbell's Go soup line designed to entice the millennials' foodie palates. The new soups range from Golden Lentil with madras curry to Creamy Red Pepper with smoked gouda.

Rosalind Brewer

Company: Sam's Club

Rosalind Brewer is the first woman and first African-American to ascend to the position of CEO with a Wal-Mart business unit. Before taking the lead at Sam's Club in 2012, Brewer was a scientist in Nonwoven Technology and Product Development at the personal care consumer product company Kimberly-Clark Corp.
Career Lesson: Don't shortchange your potential. Brewer eschews a stereotypical CEO pedigree; instead of graduating with a business degree, she studied chemistry at Spelman College.

Indra Nooyi

Company: PepsiCo

PepsiCo's 22-brand multinational reach extends beyond soda to Gatorade, Lay's potato chips, Quaker Oats and Tropicana juice. Indra Nooyi has been CEO since 2006, and she assumed a chairman role a year later. During her tenure, Nooyi has become known for buoying company earnings and repositioning the brand's association with sugar-laden refreshments to healthier products such as Sabra hummus and Naked Juice.
Career Lesson: There is no traditional pathway to career achievement. Nooyi's career has been eclectic, with positions that range from vice president and director of corporate strategy and planning at Motorola, to product manager at Johnson & Johnson and lead guitar in an all-women rock band in her hometown of Madras, India.
[328words]

[Time 4]
Virginia "Ginni" Rometty

Company: IBM

In the 30-plus years Ginni Rometty has been with IBM, she's witnessed the technology juggernaut's introduction of the personal computer, LASIK eye surgery and "Jeopardy!" champion, Watson. Before she was tapped as chairman, president and CEO in 2012, Rometty worked with the company's Global Business Services division and the Sales, Marketing and Strategy team.
Career Lesson:  Show grace under pressure. At the time she was named CEO of IBM, Rometty was not invited to join the then all-male, ultra-exclusive Augusta National Golf Club (IBM sponsors the Masters Tournament, played on Augusta's grounds, and the club has historically invited IBM CEOs to join). Augusta National does not always extend an invitation to the company's CEO immediately, however, and in the months since her appointment the club added two female members, philanthropist Darla Moore and former Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice. Rometty has largely remained mum regarding the controversy and has even attended the Masters since becoming CEO. At press time Augusta National had not extended an invite for Rometty to join.

Heather Bresch

Company: Mylan Inc.

Heather Bresch got her first job with Mylan when her father, Sen. Joe Manchin, D-W.Va, ran into the then-CEO and co-founder Milan "Mike" Puskar at a college basketball game and mentioned that his daughter, a recent graduate, was job hunting. Though she might have gotten her foot in the door thanks to paternal intervention, she's ascended to CEO at the generic drug company on her own. Steve Clemons of The Atlantic writes, "spending time with her, it becomes immediately clear that her intellectual dexterity with the details of running a global pharmaceuticals business has nothing to do with family connections." Bresch transitioned from company president to company CEO in 2012 and became in charge of approximately 18,000 employees. Barron's reports Mylan's earnings have risen more than 25 percent in the last year that Bresch has been CEO.
Career Lesson: Humble beginnings and success aren't mutually exclusive. Bresch started at the bottom, literally, when she began working for Mylan in 1992. She was responsible for typing drug labels on bottles in the basement of one of the company's West Virginia plants.
[363 words]

Source : Money Carrer  
http://money.usnews.com/money/careers/articles/2013/04/25/7-female-ceos-you-need-to-know

Article 3

Raise Your Daughters to Be Leaders

BY Stacey Epstein

What's it take to raise strong, confident women who will build the Apples, Facebooks, and Amazons of the future? One marketing exec (and mom) weighs in.

[Warm Up ]
It's an exciting time for women. New Hampshire is the first state in the nation to send an entirely female congressional delegation to Washington. And by the way, the governor is a woman, too. Marissa Mayer, though controversial, is making her mark on the corporate world and showing that women can hang with the big boys.
More and more women are excelling in leadership positions--in government and non-profits, in start-ups and public corporations, in sports and entertainment.
Even so, the number of male leaders still dwarfs female leaders. My husband recently sent me a survey via Twitter (yes, this is how we sometimes communicate) asking "Why Aren't There More Women CEOs?" The results of the survey:
              Institutional barriers (42%)
              Family is a bigger priority (26%)
              Lack of workplace flexibility (15%)
              Less willing to take risks (10%)
              Lack of female role models (7%)
My answer is all of the above, plus something else. Something much bigger. To be a leader, whether it's in a company, in politics, in the PTA, or on the soccer field, you need "leadership traits." You need to know how to command a presence, to have good judgment, and to make great decisions fast. You need to show strength and confidence and stand by your convictions. Always. You need to have thick skin, and not be swayed by naysayers or tough competition. Most of all, you need to know how to motivate and inspire people to follow you.
Of course many of these traits are inherent, but most can also be cultivated. For boys, this is a way of life since birth. Boys are taught to tough it out, to wipe away the tears, to be the fastest and strongest kid out there. And though times are certainly changing, girls are often still babied more.
I'm not saying we should treat our girls like boys. I love to coddle my daughters and help them with their pink dresses. But I also strive to encourage leadership traits in them to prepare them to thrive in a world where the ceilings have more and more skylights.
[347words]

[Time 5]

Try these six tips to help foster leadership traits in your daughters:
1. Remind her constantly that she is capable of anything.
When I was two, my grandfather announced that I would be president someday. My dad agreed and started reminding me of it from then on. This was in the 70s when a female president was a ridiculous thought. My parents really did believe that I could do that, and much more. And they told me so regularly. I can't even remember thinking that girls couldn't do anything boys could, because I was never told any differently.
2. Encourage her to play with boys.
As a child I idolized my older brother. I had my girlfriends and dolls to play with but I also loved to play football (yes tackle) with my brother and his friends. By interacting with boys the way they play, I learned many traits that have served me well in the largely male upper echelons of the corporate world. Your daughter may not be into tackle football, but go ahead and set up playdates for her with the boys.
3. Foster her independence.
My daughter has been in Montessori school since 18 months and I am still amazed at the things she learns to do on her own. I wish I could take credit for her decision making and self-directed ways. But even as I celebrate her independence, when I watch her struggle to dress herself or brush her own teeth or cut her own food, sometimes I want to step in and do it for her. Resist the urge! Encouraging independence and confidence now will serve your daughters later when the tasks get much more intense.
[282 words]

[Time 6]
4. Encourage her to play sports.
This is an obvious one. Everyone knows how much a child can learn from competing on a team to win... and sometimes losing. But many girls just aren't into sports. If that's your daughter, find an activity that fosters teamwork, collaboration, initiative, and leadership, whether it's Girl Scouts, clubs, or something else. More important, find a way to get your daughter into something--anything--competitive. My 9-year-old book-loving, brainy niece likes dance class OK, but hasn't taken to sports. When the family got a foosball table, she was transformed. Soccer and basketball aren't her thing, but she is damn good on that table. Who knew? She can beat her brother at something physical for once, and the once shy, quiet girl is now beating her chest. She even calls my husband from thousands of miles away taunting him that she is the reigning foosball champion of the household, and the "master of all things glorious."
5. Highlight female role models.
Who are the 7 percent of survey responders who think there are a lack of female role models out there? Come on people, they are everywhere! They are in the New Hampshire government, the stores we visit, and down the street on the volunteer committee.  They are in the books we read, the news we watch, and they are even in history. Ever read about Elizabeth I? So highlight them to your girls. And explicitly make the point that there are badass women out there that they can aspire to emulate.
6. Be a role model yourself.
Of course the best way to teach a trait is by example. If you're a mom, then act like a leader. Be strong, be confident, show good judgment, and inspire your children to follow you instead of demanding it. If you're a dad, then show your respect for women.  Treat your wife and daughters, and neighbors and friends as equals. Let the decisions come from all of you and make it clear that there are no ceilings in your household, just as in life.
[345 words]

Source : Inc
http://www.inc.com/stacey-epstein/raise-your-daughters-to-be-leaders-6-tips.html

本帖子中包含更多资源

您需要 登录 才可以下载或查看,没有帐号?立即注册

x
地板
发表于 2013-11-27 22:42:40 | 只看该作者
地板的节奏~ 谢谢瓜瓜~           By SH
Mayer是个大美女~~~       还有Sandberg,气场太强了!

28-10
Speaker:
woman:
leave barnard->bounless opportunies.
fundamental moral challenge: 19s slavery 20s totalitarianism 21s oppression of grils and W around the world.
equal under law of W&M, b.M>W
sad: my generation cannot solve this problem.
so, a promise for a more equal world of your generation.<moral probelm>
Advice to achieve this promise:
1.think big. being ambition!->learn leadership
2.u gonna have to believe in yourself potentially more than u do today.->W underestimate, M suc->themself. W suc->other factors(work harder, help from others).  <culmination>
believe in yourself is the first and necessary step to coming even close to achieving your potentiial.
exeternal: M get powerful both M W like them better. W both dislike, W included.
success: maybe pick a wrong job->try again->inject your passion.
Facebook: connect the whole world, more open and transparent.
Advice:don't let the fear overwhlem your deseir, like the barrier u face-and there will be the barrier-the be external, not internal.

brief summary: woman should close the gap with M and seek to achieve a high goal in the world.

Speed:
T2-1'50''
T3-2'28''
T4-3'10''
T5-1'39''
T6-1'54''

Obstacle-5'02''Learn In owes women's failure to get C-level position to their own fault that don't have a change.
AND another three books provide three different angles on women&work.
1. miscommunication.
BA&JG point in "WWM" that W&M are different animals and have their own "gender blind spot", which causes their relationship worse.  NEED: improve gender intelligent. In reality, bad communication also exists among women.
2.SC&AR point out in "ART" that women entrepreneurs are distributed mainly in service and retail indus. Also, the size of their corp. is smaller compared with M's.   
why:
>balance family
>lack financing
3.AW points out in "TXXF" that it challenges W a lot to balance WORK&PARENTING.
Wolf vs. Sandberg:
S: inner change
W: outer change
the opinion of S is more practical.

5#
发表于 2013-11-27 23:02:02 | 只看该作者
瓜瓜我来了~
28-10
Speaker
graduation speaker:men run the world. it's already changed, but not enough. 1981, 50% of the graduation is women. But we didn't get half of the job opportunities.

2 320 1min55
Go against the grain, never shy away from challenge
3 328 1min35
Embrace change, Don't shortchange your potential. There isno traditional pathway to career achievement.
4 363 1min44
Show grace under pressure. Humble beginnings and successaren't mutually exclusive.
5 282 1min27
6 345 1min46
6#
发表于 2013-11-27 23:02:14 | 只看该作者
妥妥的一环
差点忘交作业了
1:53
2:07
2:28
1:36
2:01
Obstacle 5:53
"Lean In"--- gain no senior position is partly women's own fault
miscommunication---"gender blind spots"---differences between men and women in workplace
more women have been chosen to leave---leave because communication and gender equality ploblems---women's films remain smaller than men's:  balance their family responsibilities; lower financial power---fewer saving, less access to raise money
highly earning women---more time working, more time parenting
to rise further---change behavior
women cannot change their fate on their own: change in workplace; equal representation
7#
发表于 2013-11-27 23:04:04 | 只看该作者
嘻~~~谢谢瓜瓜
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
掌管 6 00:01:04.35 00:09:19.96
掌管 5 00:01:01.78 00:08:15.60
掌管 4 00:01:38.60 00:07:13.82
掌管 3 00:01:41.22 00:05:35.21
掌管 2 00:01:19.21 00:03:53.99
掌管 1 00:02:34.78 00:02:34.78
第二篇文章对女孩子是很好的建议,现在开始也不迟!
8#
发表于 2013-11-27 23:06:34 | 只看该作者
谢谢呱呱 谢谢小鱼姐~ 最近交作业很及时 人品爆满~

Marissa Mayer: Yahoo CEO
lesson: go against the grain(to do the opposite of what someone wants or advises you to do)
Meg Whitman:Hewlett-Packard CEO
lesson:don;t stay away from challen

Denise Morrison: CEO of Campbell Soup Co.
lesson:embrace change
Rosalind Brewer:lead of Sam's Club
lessom:don;t shortchange your potential
Indra NooyiepsiCo
lesson:There is no traditional pathway to career achievement.

Virginia "Ginni" Rometty:IBM
lesson:Show grace under pressure.
Heather Bresch: Mylan Inc.
lesson: Humble beginnings and success aren't mutually exclusive.
9#
发表于 2013-11-27 23:13:53 | 只看该作者
二环 前排。。我的首页55555,感谢瓜瓜

Speaker:The world doesn't treat man and woman equally.It is hard to change in this generation.But women need equal voice and equal world.All these depend on your effort.
Two advices to change this world.
1 think big and be ambitious like man
2 beleive yourself think you're awesome.
You may make wrong choilce,but you should not leave before you come to the end.You should try and try again to find a job that meet your passion.
Don't let fear affect your desire.Start by aiming high.

01:51
Marissa Mayer,the CEO of Yahoo,gives the lesson that go against the gain.
Meg Whitman,the CEO of HP,is never shy away from challenges.

01:54
Denise Morrison,the CEO of Campbell Soup Co.,focuses on the food industry for several years.
Rosalind Brewer,the CEO of Sam's Club,has never learnt about business.Her success shows that you should never limit your protential.
Indra Nooyi,the CEO of PepsiCo,has experienced many kinds of career.

01:46
Ginni Rometty,the CEO of IBM,has worked for the company for more than 30 years and shows grace under pressure.
Heather Bresch,the CEO of Mylan Inc.,began her career from the bottom.

01:12
Six steps to help foster leadership for a girl:
1Remind her constantly that she is capable of anything.2Encourage her to play with boys.3Foster her independence.

01:19
4. Encourage her to play sports.5Highlight female role models.6Be a role model yourself.

05:33
Main Idea:Women's position in workplace.
There is fewer women than men in high positions.One reason may be women's own fault:they do not “lean in” and ask for promotions, pipe up at meetings and insist on taking a seat at the table.Another reason is that there is a gender blind spots.What women think is good for work may be viewed as weakness by men.And women have trouble in communicating with the team.
One survey shows that most of the firms runned by women are small.Women keep their business small to balance the family and job.Further,women have less capital to start their firms and reluctant to get a loan.
Women should change their tradition and behavior to get higher position.And old views on women in work place should also be changed.
10#
发表于 2013-11-27 23:15:02 | 只看该作者

OBSTACLE
4'50
-women do not "lean in "--women do not  ask for promotions
-women seek collaboration with coworkers more often than man
-real reason for quitting is women feel excluded from the team
-although more women have been starting their own firms , these firms are smaller than men's firms
SPEED
5+6 2'29
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

Mark一下! 看一下! 顶楼主! 感谢分享! 快速回复:

手机版|ChaseDream|GMT+8, 2024-5-11 09:40
京公网安备11010202008513号 京ICP证101109号 京ICP备12012021号

ChaseDream 论坛

© 2003-2023 ChaseDream.com. All Rights Reserved.

返回顶部