搜索
返回列表 发新帖
楼主: JonFrank
打印 上一主题 下一主题

[校友答疑] Ask Jon Frank- P69-Q&A:WHY MBA? 7 OVERLOOKED REASONS TO GET AN MBA

[复制链接]
11#
发表于 2010-9-21 10:01:18 | 只看该作者
Thanks Jon! We share some mutural perspectives on early career application. More importantly, your helpful advice makes me sure I am on the right track.

Thank you for settling me down and hope to contact you in the near future.
12#
发表于 2010-9-22 00:00:28 | 只看该作者
Hi Jon,

Please help. Would it be too bold for me to apply for top 5 or top 10 US business schools with below background?

Education: BA Economics
we: 3.5 years in one of the top 3 insurance broking firms. 3-month overseas training experience.
G/T: G730, T109
GPA: 3.3/4.0

If you need more information, please let me know. Many thanks in advance!
13#
发表于 2010-9-22 00:48:26 | 只看该作者
Jon,

Hi there, Thx for answering our questions.

I have questions about the Recommendation Letters.

1. what percentage will they account for in the evaluation of the whole package?  Rumors said that many Adcoms knew most Chinese applicants write RL by themselves.  So they don't care RL too much.

2. how do you think about the rating chart in RL?  If I am the recommender, hardly I will rate the applicants for 2%.  Do you think it is dangerous if I'm in top 10% or even top 20% for some quality ratings?

Thank you very much!
14#
发表于 2010-9-22 22:39:53 | 只看该作者
Hi Jon,

I've been reading a lot your posts on CD. Thanks for all your efforts and time : )
I do have a question, which has confused me a lot. I really hope you can help me out.
I didn't obtain my major (4 yrs)degree, but I did acquire minor one (2 yrs). After graduation, I've been working in Citigroup and top consulting company for 3 years.

Im worried about my undergraduate situation, will admission office exclude me from eligiable candidates?

Thanks and looking forward to your reply.

Jessica
15#
发表于 2010-9-23 02:52:24 | 只看该作者
Jon,

你多大的时候上hbs mba的?
16#
发表于 2010-9-23 11:24:37 | 只看该作者
Jon,

你多大的时候上hbs mba的?
-- by 会员 caopp (2010/9/23 2:52:24)

你是在考老外中文吧?!
17#
发表于 2010-9-23 11:30:54 | 只看该作者
他看懂中文,你低估他了
18#
 楼主| 发表于 2010-9-23 11:50:07 | 只看该作者
Jon,

你多大的时候上hbs mba的?
-- by 会员 caopp (2010/9/23 2:52:24)

Hey there, remember when I graduated from HBS things were a bit different.  eople were older!  

I was ages 25-27.  And yes, that means that I am now 33, as of two days ago.  Hope this helps.  And dont tell anyone how old I am, shhh it's a secret...

Jon Frank

19#
 楼主| 发表于 2010-9-23 11:54:48 | 只看该作者
Hi Jon,

I've been reading a lot your posts on CD. Thanks for all your efforts and time : )
I do have a question, which has confused me a lot. I really hope you can help me out.
I didn't obtain my major (4 yrs)degree, but I did acquire minor one (2 yrs). After graduation, I've been working in Citigroup and top consulting company for 3 years.

Im worried about my undergraduate situation, will admission office exclude me from eligiable candidates?

Thanks and looking forward to your reply.

Jessica
-- by 会员 sexxyrain (2010/9/22 22:39:53)

Hey therehappy to answer this question for you.  Generally, all schools do require that you have a four-year degree.  There are some exceptions, but to be honest, we have never worked with a client who has applied without a Bachelors Degree.  L  So I would be very surprised if you were to be the one out of 5,000 or so of the applications that we have done.  You may reach out to specific schools and see if they are open to the ideabut generally, this will be very hard to overcome.

Sorry, and I hope this is helpful for you!
Jon Frank
20#
 楼主| 发表于 2010-9-23 12:01:51 | 只看该作者
Jon,

Hi there, Thx for answering our questions.

I have questions about the Recommendation Letters.

1. what percentage will they account for in the evaluation of the whole package?  Rumors said that many Adcoms knew most Chinese applicants write RL by themselves.  So they don't care RL too much.

2. how do you think about the rating chart in RL?  If I am the recommender, hardly I will rate the applicants for 2%.  Do you think it is dangerous if I'm in top 10% or even top 20% for some quality ratings?

Thank you very much!
-- by 会员 narcisuss (2010/9/22 0:48:26)

Well hello there!  It would be my pleasure to answer this question for you.  Or should I sayboth questions!

1. LORs, as I like to call them, are importantbut essays and test scores are MORE important.  As a percentagemaybe 10%?  Maybe 15%?  A LOR needs to do two things: first, the recommender must corroborate your stories.  If you claim to have launched a new product, the recommender should say yes, she did.”  That is 70% of the challenge.  The other 30% for the LOR should be for them to present NEW material!  That is why it is so important for the recommenders to write their own work.  Who knows what they will say!  That 30% is often the most valuable.  The part that you didnt already cover in your applications.  

And finally, the LOR should be SPECIFIC.  There are only 20 or so words that everybody will use.  Smart, creative, talented, leadership,etc.  Eeeeveryone will use the same words in every LOR.  The GOOD LORs will be the ones that are specific.  Not just Wei is smart.”  But Wei is smartjust yesterday, I have her a bottle and a pen, and twenty minutes later she had built a car.”  J  You get the ideaspecifics are KEY.

2. We would want the highest ratings possible.  eriod.  erhaps some can be the second highestbut anything lower than that could be seen as a red flag.  Something that the admissions people might be worried about

I hope this helps!  Good luck to everyone

Jon Frank
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

Mark一下! 看一下! 顶楼主! 感谢分享! 快速回复:

近期活动

正在浏览此版块的会员 ()

手机版|ChaseDream|GMT+8, 2024-4-26 23:40
京公网安备11010202008513号 京ICP证101109号 京ICP备12012021号

ChaseDream 论坛

© 2003-2023 ChaseDream.com. All Rights Reserved.

返回顶部