打印 上一主题 下一主题

[校友答疑] Georgetown MBA student taking questions

[精华] [复制链接]
41#
 楼主| 发表于 2009-10-27 22:53:00 | 只看该作者
以下是引用StuntGp在2009/10/24 8:52:00的发言:
Lin,有什么你们学校固定的简历模板啊,还是用通用的就行。

Hi there,

For your application, feel free to use your own format. This may sound cliche, but I want to remind Chinese applicants not including your personal information such as marital status, gender, age, etc.

For current students, we do have a template for resume here at MSB. All students would be provided with the template upon starting the program. However, you should certainly tailor  your resumes according to the general standards of the region/country you are looking for a job.

[此贴子已经被作者于2009/10/27 23:11:41编辑过]
42#
 楼主| 发表于 2009-10-27 23:01:00 | 只看该作者

以下是引用StuntGp在2009/10/24 14:11:00的发言:

另外在选修的management里有个sports leadership的课程,有没有达人给分析一下,是什么内容的。

I found the below description of the course from the university course website. Hope it helps.

The following topics will be covered in class:

1. Principles of Sports Leadership: Leadership is a critical element to success in any field, and sports is no different. We will discuss in class the basic elements of good leadership that are exhibited by Coaches and General Managers of sports teams. We will also discuss how to develop leaders. The principles discussed in class will be related to the business world.

2. Developing Teamwork: In sports, it is critical for all members of the team to understand their role on the team and the importance of their ability to work together towards a common goal of winning the game. In the class, we will show how a sports team achieves this and how this can be applied in the business world.

3. Motivation: It is easy to say that a company will only hire “self-motivated” individuals, but that is not always the case. Furthermore, those who are “self-motivated” are human and will still need motivation at times. In sports, you likewise try to recruit only “self-motivated” individuals, but you do not always end up with an entire team of them.

4. Media Relations and Crisis Management: A big part of sports is media relations. Everything done in professional sports – and to some extent, college and high school sports – is covered extensively by TV, radio, Internet, and print media. It is critical in sports to be able to deal with the media on a daily basis. In business, it is no less critical to be proficient in media relations, but the difference is that it is done on an infrequent basis. We will discuss in class the principles of media relations that will help the students have guidelines to deal with the media. In sports, when a crisis occurs with a team or player, it rarely escapes the news. In class, we will discuss how to deal with a crisis internally, as well as externally (with the media).

5. Selecting Talent: In sports – as well as business perhaps – the most critical factor in the success of a team is the talent on the team. The difference in sports, however, is that selecting talent for a team is much more restrictive due to the mechanisms you have to deal with, such as a draft, salary cap, and player contract restrictions. There are also restrictions on hiring front office personnel away from other teams so it is also important to be proficient in selecting talent, but also it is important to develop talent. In class, we will discuss what sports teams look for in selecting talent – both in players and head coaches (CEO).

6. Dealing with Different Situations: I have picked six common situations that happen in sports and will discuss how to handle each situation. These six situations are: Newly-named coach; Extended losing streak; Extended winning streak; Sustaining a winning streak; Sustaining success after a big season; and Rebounding from a poor season.

[此贴子已经被作者于2009/10/27 23:13:42编辑过]
43#
 楼主| 发表于 2009-10-27 23:09:00 | 只看该作者
以下是引用fredrique在2009/10/24 19:29:00的发言:
I have a question regarding the concentrations in the MBA program.

School's website mentions that there is no concentratoin under this unified program. But in the Career Management section, four career tracks are provided. Could you talk a little bit about what the career track is. Are students required to choose a track before or at the beginning of the program and accordingly take a particular set of courses to pursue that track? BTW, the links to the details of four career tracks do not work. Thanks!

Hi there,

Thanks for your question!

Georgetown MBA is a general management program. We will not have a specified concentration in our diploma. The career tracks in the career management session are for reference and students are not obligated to take a track or a set of courses under certain track (except for the core courses everyone takes.) However, the career tracks are very informative since the information is from comprehensive surveys of faculty, recruiters and alumni.

The school just revamped the website this summer. Iknow several pages are still under restruction. Thank you for pointing it out anyway!
[此贴子已经被作者于2009/10/27 23:18:46编辑过]
44#
发表于 2009-11-12 18:32:42 | 只看该作者

关于本科成绩寄送的问题

我有一个问题,在application checklist 里面提到一点:

Official Transcripts/Academic Documents (Original copies must be mailed by the applicant’s undergraduate institution. Electronic copies are not accepted.)

这是说成绩单只能由原来的学校寄送? 能不能自己邮寄学校密封好的成绩单? 因为让原来的学校寄送好像很麻烦的说
45#
发表于 2009-11-14 02:57:58 | 只看该作者
Hi Lin, thank you so much for sharing with us your Georgetown experience and insights! I am an applicant for the Fall 2010 admission. Profile includes: GMAT 740+5.5, GPA 2.95, 3-Yr energy consulting experience (with a top 20 U.S. consulting firm, in Canada) by the time of admission. I have completed my CFA Level II exam, doing the ERP (Energy Risk Professional) certification now.

I really like Georgetown's global business oriented program design. I am a Chinese, but I will apply as a Canadian citizen. How do I stand in this application? Somewhere close to the mainstream profile or way out of league? What are my chances?

Since my career thus far is concentrated in energy industry, especially renewable energy sector, my career goal is to eventually establish my own energy investment firm that promotes wider adoption of green energy technologies and projects in both China and North America. The main motivation to take this positioning is a call for socially responsible investment in the energy sector.

Thanks for your advice!
46#
发表于 2009-11-15 22:03:41 | 只看该作者
我想问下往年MBA毕业后回国工作的情况如何呢?

都有哪些公司会给global pay呢?
47#
 楼主| 发表于 2009-11-17 22:36:12 | 只看该作者
我有一个问题,在application checklist 里面提到一点:

Official Transcripts/Academic Documents (Original copies must be mailed by the applicant’s undergraduate institution. Electronic copies are not accepted.)

这是说成绩单只能由原来的学校寄送? 能不能自己邮寄学校密封好的成绩单? 因为让原来的学校寄送好像很麻烦的说
-- by 会员 freast (2009/11/12 18:32:42)

Yes you can. It is understood that many schools in China does not provide the transcript mailing service.
48#
 楼主| 发表于 2009-11-17 22:49:58 | 只看该作者
Hi Lin, thank you so much for sharing with us your Georgetown experience and insights! I am an applicant for the Fall 2010 admission. Profile includes: GMAT 740+5.5, GPA 2.95, 3-Yr energy consulting experience (with a top 20 U.S. consulting firm, in Canada) by the time of admission. I have completed my CFA Level II exam, doing the ERP (Energy Risk Professional) certification now.

I really like Georgetown's global business oriented program design. I am a Chinese, but I will apply as a Canadian citizen. How do I stand in this application? Somewhere close to the mainstream profile or way out of league? What are my chances?

Since my career thus far is concentrated in energy industry, especially renewable energy sector, my career goal is to eventually establish my own energy investment firm that promotes wider adoption of green energy technologies and projects in both China and North America. The main motivation to take this positioning is a call for socially responsible investment in the energy sector.

Thanks for your advice!
-- by 会员 topmba2009 (2009/11/14 2:57:58)

Thanks for your interest in Georgetown MBA!

I do think your profile is consistent with our large bench. Also the mix of origin/cultural or ethnicity background is quite common at the school. Of course, the admissions office still needs to review your whole package to get to know you more.

Regarding you careere interest in renewable energy, I am happy to inform you our new class of2011 recently founded Cleantech club. We also have our Energy club from my class. If you would like to learn more details, just email the admissions ambassadors at georgetownmbavisit@georgetown.edu and ask them to put you into contact with anyone from the clubs.
49#
 楼主| 发表于 2009-11-17 22:55:16 | 只看该作者
我想问下往年MBA毕业后回国工作的情况如何呢?

都有哪些公司会给global pay呢?
-- by 会员 edisonjjb (2009/11/15 22:03:41)

I am afraid I do not have the statistics. Speaking only for Class of 2009, it seems all of the four students who return to China landed a job by now.

I don't know any company would global pay if you are going back to your country of citizenship so far.
50#
发表于 2010-3-28 19:01:02 | 只看该作者
Nice post!
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

Mark一下! 看一下! 顶楼主! 感谢分享! 快速回复:

近期活动

正在浏览此版块的会员 ()

手机版|ChaseDream|GMT+8, 2024-4-28 17:30
京公网安备11010202008513号 京ICP证101109号 京ICP备12012021号

ChaseDream 论坛

© 2003-2023 ChaseDream.com. All Rights Reserved.

返回顶部