Wechat ID: NativeStudy  / Weibo: http://weibo.com/u/3476904471

Part I: Speaker

The Persistence Of Poverty
Cardiff Garcia& Stacey Vanek Smith, May 2020

Source: NPR
https://www.npr.org/2020/05/20/859911696/the-persistence-of-poverty
[Rephrase 1, 9:18]

Part II: Speed

Will employment litigation derail recovery?
ALAN JENKINS, MAY 15, 2020

[Time 2]
Business owners are used to forging a path through uncertainty to develop successful businesses. Whether it be in judging future trends accurately or developing new products that people didn’t realise they wanted, business owners take for granted that most of what they do can be risky, even in standard times.

The uncertainty that the UK government created on the 10th May, however, is of a completely different form, requiring business owners to take responsibility for decisions abdicated by the government and to face full liabilities for the consequences.

Having been hugely successful in frightening the population to stay at home, last week the government attempted to change track. Employers are now told to ‘actively encourage’ their teams to return to work.

This abrupt volte-face has, in turn, placed employers in the position of having to encourage their team to return to work, within a febrile and unpredictable atmosphere, itself created by the government’s lockdown messaging.

All this against a backdrop of inadequate and contradictory advice, both legal and governmental.

We can all agree that it is essential to get the economy moving again and to enable people to get back to work. By doing this, the country can maintain the economic activity which supports livelihoods and generates the tax revenue that pays for the NHS and other essential public services.

While getting the country back to work must happen, this must be done safely. This is why most people supported the government’s approach of containing COVID-19 by mandating the strict lockdown imposed throughout the last few months.

However, faced with the choice of prioritising a strict lockdown to limit further the spread of the virus, or opening up the country to save the economy and mental health of the population, the government has tried to do both, resulting in the impressively vague ‘stay alert’ slogan.

The result has been complete confusion about what the government wants us to do and what the rules are.

[324 words]

[Time 3]

The dilemma is particularly acute for employers, who have been told to ‘actively encourage’ employees to return to work, with almost no clarity about what this means in practice.

For instance, in my business Quadrant2Design which designs and manufactures exhibition stands for trade shows, we have put in place extensive measures to allow our employees to work safely. And we are fortunate in occupying 15,000 sq.feet of premises that makes it easier for employees to work while observing a safe distance from one another.

These measures do not, however, eliminate the threat of contracting COVID-19 at work.

There is always going to be a risk, both in the office and when travelling into work. Should we encourage employees to come in if their journey involves public transport? Should meetings be banned?

As an employer and business owner, here are some of my serious concerns:

•        If an employee refuses to return to work citing health and safety concerns, can I require them to attend, and ultimately discipline them if they refuse?

•        Should an employee allege they have caught COVID-19 at work, will I face investigation by the Health and Safety Executive?
•        In the worst case, could I even face prosecution for Corporate Manslaughter and with it, a possible jail term?

The government has failed to address these concerns, shifting these unfair liabilities onto hapless employers who are struggling to keep their businesses afloat during the crisis.

The risk in navigating these questions is that, by following the government’s advice and encouraging employees to come back into work, employers will inadvertently open themselves up to the potential for punitive legal claims, fines, and maybe worse.

[273 words]

[Time 4]

Before the COVID-19 crisis, we have seen an increase in employment tribunals of 64% between 2017 to 2019. Although many of these cases were legitimate, undoubtedly others were vexatious. All such claims are destructive to the businesses involved, diverting valuable time and money from positive activity that increases tax receipts for the government and supports employment.

Where is the reassurance, that given the contradictory and confusing governmental advice, that these numbers won’t skyrocket in the next few months?

In balancing these risks, employers may judge that it simply isn’t worth the risk of opening up the business. Some may simply ‘call it a day’ and never reopen. Others may open up and quickly find themselves overwhelmed with unfair and costly employment tribunal cases.

The government needs to urgently address its failure to provide businesses and staff with clear guidance. Employers must be given detailed information about how, and under what circumstances, they can return their team to work, and in a way that protects them from unwarranted litigation.

Moreover, legislation needs to be put in place to protect employers so that they can concentrate on saving their businesses.

This doesn’t mean genuinely reckless employers should be able to get away with acting however they want. If businesses are forcing staff to face undue risks, and these practices need to be clearly defined; then clearly, there will be a case to answer.

However, in the vast majority of cases, where employers are merely trying to do their best to return to work safely, they should not be faced with the potential for future COVID-19 related claims.

Unless the government gets to grips with its message to the public and takes responsibility for the crisis, rather than trying to shift liabilities to employers, I’m afraid we will fail to restart our economy to the degree required and protect the livelihoods of our staff.

[311 words]

Source: Management.Issues
https://www.management-issues.com/opinion/7395/will-employment-litigation-derail-recovery/

How 'Risky Builders' Star Chris Naugle Went From Middle Class to Multi-Millions
A conversation with the entrepreneur and TV personality on his pursuit of success and that perfect day.
RANDY GARN, FEB 19, 2020

[Time 5]
When Chris Naugle was growing up in a lower-middle-class family in a small town called Lockport, New York, he never imagined that he’d come to manage over 30 million dollars in assets in the financial services and advisory industry, have built and owned 16 companies over 20 years, be behind more than 260 real estate deals worth tens of millions, and co-host an HGTV series with his wife, Lorissa.

How did this always-fascinated-with-money entrepreneur build his empires from such humble beginnings? I had the chance to sit down with the Risky Builders star to find out how he came to dedicate his life to being one of America’s most well-known money mentors.

I’d love to take readers back to where you’ve been, to help them understand how you’ve been able to get to where you are now.

I was raised in a lower-middle-class family by a single mother. I learned early on what it takes to build something from next to nothing. To get ahead, I had to do what most others were unwilling to do. I had to fail and hear "no" far more than most people, and that became the one thing that pushed me. The greatest accelerants to my success were the lessons I learned growing up. I learned that every "no" was one step closer to a "yes," and every failure was an important experience that I needed to become successful. I also learned that fear was just an illusion, one that could be overcome. Fear was something I had to face and conquer in my pursuit to becoming a professional snowboarder.

Everything I’ve built today has come in large part from what I’ve learned or experienced firsthand. I think that is what makes me stand out as a teacher. When I speak to audiences, I can deeply relate to their financial struggles and lack of understanding of how money really works.
[316 words]

[Time 6]
So, how does money really work?

I think very few of us understand how money really works, because we’ve never been taught. The crime of our time is that the greatest financial knowledge isn’t taught, it’s sought out. I’m trying to change that. We all know that money is a means of exchange. When I talk to audiences about how money really works, I challenge them to think about how a bank works with money. They lend out money that is not theirs, they charge interest, they keep that money moving and working to their benefit. What I’m doing differently is teaching people to become their own bank.

What else are you doing differently in the industry that makes you stand out?

The biggest thing I do differently is think differently, and I challenge everyone I speak with to do so as well. I want people to question everything they’ve ever been taught about money, because most of it is wrong. That may sound harsh, but it’s true. We’re unnecessarily giving up control of our money, because we’ve been taught to give up our good dollars today and be paid back with weaker dollars later. Most of us put money into retirement accounts that we don’t have access to for decades, only to take out the dollars that are worth less later and get taxed on it.

The kicker is that we’re giving all our money away, while unnecessarily assuming additional risk. I want to teach people how to think differently about their ability to become the bank, reclaim control of their money and stop costing themselves their financial freedom — today and in the future.
[277 words]

[The Rest]
What are you most excited about right now and what does the future look like for you?

I’m extremely passionate about my work. Right now, I’m speaking three to four times a week to groups as small as 40 and as large as [in the] thousands, all across the country. I’m also really excited about my second book, Mapping Out the Millionaire Mystery, that will be out in early 2020. It’s going to give readers the modern-day perspective on what it means to be your own bank, and the financial freedom that comes from that.

Most often, I think about my future and my dreams for one reason only: I need to know what I want so I can create that perfect day in my head and then write it down. If I don't know what my dreams look like, how can I create the action steps to actually live them? Once I know every second of that perfect day, I then create the necessary steps to reverse engineer every day leading up to that perfect day. Our futures all start right now, because the now is all we have control of.

How can entrepreneurs most benefit from your work and teachings?

What if I told you that you could get back all or most of the money you’ve ever spent for every business expense you’ve ever had? Or one of my other favorite questions is: What if I can show you how to get all the money back for all the cars you will ever buy, drive and own?

My work sounds too good to be true, but it’s not. Any entrepreneur can make a reality out of both of these statements when they make the choice to become their own bank and when they understand the simple principles the wealthy use every day. It really all begins with thinking differently about money — differently than you’ve been taught and differently than most of the population thinks about money. You and the elite or the super wealthy all have access to the same financial tools and education. The only difference is that the super wealthy know how to use the tools differently.
[362 words]

Source: Entrepreneur
https://www.entrepreneur.com/article/346375

Part III: Obstacle

How Nonprofit Leaders Can Keep Their Organizations Afloat
JOAN GARRY, APRIL 21, 2020

[Paraphrase 7]

It’s hard to imagine the extent of the destruction and pain Covid-19 will cause to people around the world. In the United States alone, more than 30,000 lives have been lost and millions of jobs have evaporated, and this is only the beginning. Nonprofits will provide an essential lifeline to help people get through this crisis and will be an essential part of recovery efforts. In crises, we need the knowledge, skills, and service of these organizations. Just as critical as the government, yet more nimble, they are now an essential tool for societies to address vital needs.

Many nonprofits have big and important missions, but most are under-resourced. Of the 1.5 million in the United States, 65% have budgets under $500,000. The domestic violence shelter, the food pantry, the local free clinic — these groups are typically run on shoestring budgets with volunteer staffs. Your jaw would drop if you knew how many executive directors work 65 hours a week and are paid for 20. And again, this is on a good day. And these are not good days — not even close.
Nonprofits are struggling in a way that I, a veteran in this field, have never seen before. In Verona, Wisconsin, the Badger Prairie Network can’t keep up with the demand for its food pantry services; both food and financial donations and hours worked by volunteers are down. At Ray of Sunshine, an equine therapy program for those living with cancer in San Diego County,   immunocompromised clients can’t come, and leaders are struggling to raise the money they need to keeping paying staff and caring for the animals.

How can underfunded, understaffed nonprofits continue to serve their communities during these dark times?
Anticipate

Cathy (who asked that I not use her last name) runs a residence for women with dementia, many with serious underlying conditions, in the Dallas/Fort Worth area. Her clients are without question the most vulnerable to Covid-19. Although she and her team have been vigilant and no one has been infected so far, she has already prepared a draft letter to share with her community should one of the residents fall ill.

The letter affirms that her organization is a caring one and that its high quality of service is undiminished. It notes that “the safety of our residents has and always will come first” and goes on to outline all the precautions that her team has taken so far, as well as more extensive measures (beyond government recommendations) that it would be considering in the wake of such a tragedy. It also promises continued open communication and commitment to its mission.

A good leader solves problems. A great one anticipates them. Right now, nonprofit leaders must ask the hard questions, consider the worst-case scenarios, and brainstorm all the different actions they can take right now to be ready if that happens.
Create

Ellen LaPointe began her tenure as the CEO of Fenway Health two months ago. She’s learned more in the past two months than most new leaders learn in the first year — about the resilience of the staff and the deep, shared commitment they have to their clients. She offers a great deal to her new team in terms of strong management and leadership skills but in these early days the staff has taught her about what is possible.

Before the pandemic, Fenway had decided to virtualize some of its medical consultation services. The team projected that this transformative initiative would take a year. However, when confronted with the new normal of social distancing, they realized they would need to speed up that process. Working feverishly, they introduced the new telehealth program in just five days.

In crisis, nonprofit leaders must act with speed to innovate, execute, and deliver what people need.
Nurture

Karen Pearl is the CEO of God’s Love We Deliver, which prepares and delivering nutritious meals to New Yorkers homebound with chronic illnesses. When New York became the epicenter of the coronavirus outbreak, she nurtured a variety of stakeholders, including employees and donors, via video conference; it was something like Franklin Delano Roosevelt’s fireside chats in the 1930s.

She explained in detail how operations had changed, shared the stories of drivers going the extra mile, and described how carefully kitchen volunteers were cooking and packing. She brought her “tribe” closer to the organization and we can only expect she will continue to keep them close.

During challenges, leaders need to keep stakeholders close. The ability of your organization to recover once the clouds lift will be directly tied to how well you do this.
Pivot

It’s time to be nimble about crisis-time services and staffing. Are there new ways to be of use to your existing clientele and others in need? Can older volunteers, who are at higher risk for the virus, participate virtually, or can you find young people with more time on their hands than they had before — for examples from colleges or the arts community, or the gig economy workforce — to pitch in?

Drew Dyson, the executive director of Princeton Senior Resource Center, moved his education program, the Evergreen Forum online by offering tech support to professors and to his clients during the transition. A team of remote volunteers worked with hundreds of seniors to introduce them to Zoom and the initiative was a huge success. Instead of the anticipated 200 registrants, they had more than 500. You can bet that, even once the pandemic passes, PSRC will be offering more online programs to reach more clients previously not physically able to visit the center.

Amit Paley and his team at The Trevor Project, a national 24-hour toll-free confidential suicide hotline for LGBTQ youth, executed a similar pivot. They set their 40 hotline volunteers up with secure laptops in their homes in less than a week.
Ask

Gifted Wishes is a Seattle-based group that creates moments that matter for hospice patients. Gala revenue is the largest percentage of its small budget. Many others are in the same boat. Fundraisers are being cancelled left and right.

If your organization is struggling, it’s important to be honest with donors about what you need to stay open. In a moment when many people are facing unforeseen financial challenges, this can be a hard ask. However, there will still be some individuals or grant-making foundations that can help cover potential shortfalls. Remember, too, to ask your board members for advice and assistance in securing government assistance loans for which you might be eligible and making connections with impact investors focused on Covid-19 relief and recovery.

Closing your doors along with the critical services you provide will compound the crisis for many, so don’t be afraid to continue fundraising.

Our nonprofits must survive so the least fortunate among us can recover from this pandemic. Even if your cause seems less relevant now — maybe run an animal shelter or a chamber orchestra — your organizations will be even more important as society again begins to function and people seek out love, communion, and beauty in the world.

So keep reminding everyone about the ways in which your organization is unique, how you are working to repair the world, and why you need help now.
[1199 words]
Source: Harvard Business Review
https://hbr.org/2020/04/how-nonprofit-leaders-can-keep-their-organizations-afloat

本帖子中包含更多资源

您需要 登录 才可以下载或查看,没有帐号?立即注册

x
发表于 2020-5-22 21:22:51 | 显示全部楼层
Time28'50'') forge:v.锻造,制定,锻炼,努力加强,稳步前进/n.锻压  abdicate V.放弃,辞职 liability n,负债 volte-face 大转变,febrile a.发烧的,狂热的 mandate n,授权,任期 v,授权 prioritise v.给...优先权
Time3 4'01'')afloat ad.免于经济困难地 inadvertently不注意的,不慎的 punitive a.惩罚的
time4,tribunal 法院, vexatious a.令人恼火的 diverting a. 有趣的 reassurance n.使安慰 reckless a. 鲁莽的  get away with 侥幸成功
time5 (3’37‘’)
The rest (2'50'')
time 6 (2'53'')
Obstacle (11'53'')nimble a.灵活的,evaporate a,使蒸发,shoestring小额资本 pantry 食品贮藏柜  immunocompromised 免疫受损的 fundraising 筹款
发表于 2020-5-22 22:04:26 | 显示全部楼层
[1:39][324words] UK government asked the employers to support the governal decision to encourage their employees to go back to work; as long as the government wants to prevent the virus from spreading and  also save the economy, it has show really confusing signals to the public
[1:39][237words] the confusion is particularly serious for employers, as there are always risks, they are hesitating whether should force employees to go back and worrying about the legal claims from the federal at the same time
[1:50][311 words] the employers are asking for detailed information about the conditions of reopen

[1:18][316words] At first ,the writer made an overview about the achievements of CN, the first question is about his childhood in a lower-middle-family with his mother, he mentioned the importance of failure and conquering fears.
[1:19][277 words] He then talked about the lack of financial knowledge teaching, and said he encouraged his audiences to be their own bank, instead of giving all their money to defend the potential risk
[1:30][362 words] Finally, he talked about his plans, mentioning that he is satisfied with his life now, and are drawing his perfect day. He said by thinking differently about money(by take his class to do so), we can make real difference

OBSTACLE
[6:06][1199 words]
While Covid-19 are taking lives from us, the nonprofit organizations are playing an important role in the struggle, while facing the lack of money and volunteers at the same time, the article shows several storied about how the nonprofits are dealing with the shortage.
The first one by anticipating the problems, putting the life of her own volunteers at first, ready for the risk all the time. the second one face the shortage by creating a medical consultation service program in five days. The third one by nurturing more people. The forth one by doing online class; the fifth by asking for suggestions.
At this special time, the nonprofits should try to show their importance and special role to survive
发表于 2020-5-22 22:06:48 | 显示全部楼层
[Time 2]        1‘42
[Time 3]        1‘10
[Time 4]        1‘33
[Time 5]        1’29
[Time 6]        1‘10
[The Rest]        1‘19
[Paraphrase 7]        6‘10
发表于 2020-5-22 23:48:05 | 显示全部楼层
tribunals  vexatious.

02:11
Employers are now told to ‘actively encourage’ their teams to return to work.  This abrupt volte-face has  placed employers in the position of having to encourage their team to return to work.
01:56
Concerns:
•        If an employee refuses to return to work citing health and safety concerns, can I require them to attend, and ultimately discipline them if they refuse?
•        Should an employee allege they have caught COVID-19 at work, will I face investigation by the Health and Safety Executive?
•        In the worst case, could I even face prosecution for Corporate Manslaughter and with it, a possible jail term.
02:26
The government needs to urgently address its failure to provide businesses and staff with clear guidance. Employers must be given detailed information about how, and under what circumstances, they can return their team to work, and in a way that protects them from unwarranted litigation.
发表于 2020-5-23 01:02:57 发自 iPad 设备 | 显示全部楼层

[Time 2]        1‘38
[Time 3]        1‘44
[Time 4]        2‘00
[Time 5]        2’15
[Time 6]        1‘38
[The Rest]        1‘18
发表于 2020-5-23 02:08:33 | 显示全部楼层
1. Uk government actively suggests employers encourage their works back to office. but both the consequences and liabilities of reopening are taken by employers.  the employers are afraid of consequences and lawsuits, mightly making the reopening failed. authors believed that only the government takes the responsibility of reopening can put the economy back to track as the government hoped.   
2.middle class boy learned from his firsthand experience and taught the audiences to act as a bank to deal with their money. He also claimed that most of money concept from school is wrong.
3. exemplified how non-profit leaders handling the current situation.
1)as a great leader, anticipate the problem instead of just solving the problem.
2) Be creative in the way of handling the business in such a pandemic situation, have the courage to pivot the method of service delivery.
3) asking and raising more money for your non-profit business.
发表于 2020-5-23 02:53:59 发自 iPhone | 显示全部楼层
T2 324words 1:55
T3 273words 1:40
T4 311words 1:18
T5 316words 1:01
T6 277words 0:56
发表于 2020-5-23 05:52:48 | 显示全部楼层
[Time 2] 3:59
Business owners face a huge challenge when the government proform confused about preventing the further spread of the pandemic or ensuring economical operation.
[Time 3] 2:57
If business owners reopen their business hazardously, they will take a variety of risks occurring further financial losses that the government failed to concern.
[Time 4] 3:44
The government has the responsibility to clearly guide employers and labourers to restart their businesses but not leave the question to the public.
[Time 5] 3:28
Chris Naugle said that a considerable amount of rejection pushes him to strive for success.
[Time 6] 2:59
Chris Naugle pointed out that peoples did not become rich because they did not think differently and did not manage their own money.
发表于 2020-5-23 07:46:58 | 显示全部楼层
T2 2'21''
T3 1'43''
T4 2'06''
T5 2'08''
T6 1'35''
T7 8'10''
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

Mark一下! 看一下! 顶楼主! 感谢分享! 快速回复:

手机版|Archiver|ChaseDream京公网安备11010202008513号 京ICP证101109号 京ICP备12012021号

GMT+8, 2020-5-31 08:41 , Processed in 0.201423 second(s), 6 queries , Memcache On.

ChaseDream 论坛

© 2003-2020 ChaseDream.com. All Rights Reserved.

返回顶部