ChaseDream

标题: 【老帖新开】奋斗的道路没有尽头之*写作练习* [打印本页]

作者: 一粒黄豆。    时间: 2013-3-26 21:37
标题: 【老帖新开】奋斗的道路没有尽头之*写作练习*
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
以下是2018年的新帖内容
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

今天是2018年7月22日,时隔大概四五年,我又回来了,一个完成当初梦想却身心俱疲的老人
这个帖子其实是很多年以前我为了二战托福而开的帖子,写每日总结,英文日记,范文赏析之类的。现在我又回来了,最近渐渐意识到自己中文表达能力极度退化,英文表达能力也离native speaker有很大差距。所以想要练习一下中英写作,一方面在中文上能表达的清楚,另一方面英文表达能满足我日常工作需求。
大概介绍一下自己背景,2014年来到美国读会计研究生,2016年毕业在Boston的pwc工作,至今工作两年,做的是core assurance,主要做mutual funds audit,最近刚刚转组,以后将主要审technology clients。意识到自己写作短板,导致平时工作中对自己写的memo,documentation没有信心,决定集中提高一下。考虑了很多平台,自己的微博/blog 吧 有点无聊,只有自己一个人,没人跟我说话;其他陌生的论坛吧,没有归属感;国外的writing forum吧,大部分都是喜欢写作,想要出书,非常serious那种,我这种business writing为主的人羞于发帖。所以最终还是决定回来CD论坛,这个我最初启程的地方。这么多年了,即使完成了当初自己的目标,writing也还是不能停歇。所以说,没有什么是一劳永逸的(大概除了死亡)。在这里,没有太多人会关注哈哈,因为大家都忙着准备考试 申请出国;但是又会有一些关注,比如跟我有缘的人刚好点进我的帖子,而我有限的经历又刚好能帮人解答一些问题,我就可以在每天练习写作之余帮助到别人,which is perfect.

我的目标:每天或者隔天发一些每天阅读的新闻,应该会以wall street journal或者经济学人(看是否需要花钱订阅) 为主,会highlight出我觉得好的用法,词汇。然后有针对性地自己练习写,具体topic还没想好,走一步看一步把!!

以下是2013年的原贴内容

今年1月19号跟gmat相爱了,好不容易走在一起,结果惹gmat生气了,正在纠结要不要二战gmat的时候,大家都劝我710够了,先托福吧。
好吧,经过三天的斗争,我决定先托福了。托福这个死小三,如果没有你,我就能继续跟gmat生活下去啊!!!
但是木有办法,谁让我去年一战95呢。。。为了尽快跟gmat相见,我会尽快干掉托福死小三的。
一战 R28 L22 S20 W25

3/26
经过我亲爱的gmat对我的锻炼,以及越毒小分队对我的磨砺,我相信现在阅读不再是重点了。
今天做了一份tpo10的阅读和听力,阅读居然错了9个!!!!尼玛,真是大意失荆州啊!其中两个单词题,一个题没看见except,一个插空题没有好好看原文,一个总结题(这么细节的东西也能叫总结。。真是给托福跪了。。。)
听力不错,只错了4个。

总结
阅读,跟gmat思路不一样,要小心,不能大意。toefl阅读考的不是结构不是作用,而是细节。细节要很小心。妈蛋,破坏我gmat思路哼!!死小三!
听力,还可以,再持续练练吧。
单词又要背起来了。。。。。。。。镇魂单词什么的

另外二战的重点在于口语!!!!口语我一定要上24!!!打破传说中23分不能再多的魔咒!!!
听力阅读保持现在的状态吧,作文多写写,多背背例子段子~~
加油!!!
每天念三遍:我的目标是R30 L28 S24 W28=110!!!!!

=================================================
5月31日
出分了 29 28 24 27 =108 虽然没能达到自己的dream score,但是没关系,这个分数我已经挺满意的了~ 至少说明了我的说和写还有很大问题,想要在北美混的好,接下来我得自己练说和写了! fighting!

这个帖子完结了,接下来又要开始搞g了~

作者: 一粒黄豆。    时间: 2013-3-27 22:17
3/27
In order to improve ability of expression, I decided to state all the daily work and conclusion in English!!!

Today I spent one and a half hours in speaking, and I came up with a problem.
I can't show detailed information or idea on reasons I offered.
For example, I meet a question: Describe the skill you want to learn most.
Cooking come to my mind! Yes, I really want to learn cooking!
And I have several true reasons:first, I will go study abroad, so I want to cook for myself . Second, I want to cook for my parents and friends. Seeing the suprised faces of them will make me feel proud
And later, I came up with another reason: Food security is a big problem in China, so it will be safer for us to cook for ourselves instead of eating out.

Then, however, I don't know how to show detail about these three reasons. I have learned from book that we need to develop detailed thoughts about our points, not to provide many points without detail!!!!

I really don't know how to make my points detailed. So I told my problem to my friends. And she said" What if you are going to talk about that topic in Chinese, what will you say about your points?" And I immidiately realized that I can use examples!  I can even make up some examples or cite news from newspapers, Internet or from friends. That's it !!!!  As for the point that food security is a problem, I can cite the examples of myself. For example, one day, I ate at a restaurant , and the dishes are tasty, but few hours later , I felt like vomiting and have diarrhea. Since then, I have kept skeptical about all the tasty food. And I finally realize that I could cook for myself. I can cook food that is both healthy and tasty.
See? The example is simple , but it enriches my reasoning and makes my statement more real.

I will work in that way tomorrow~

Today, I also work on the wrong anwser that I made yeaterday of the listening part . I realized that listening and reading are so similar! They all have consice and clear structures.
Take a listening passage that comes from TPO10 as an example:

>>>开头
引出全文OK. If I ask about the earliest thing you can remember, I will bet for most of you, your earliest memory would be about from age of 3, right?
给出定义As I said, this phenomenon refers to the adults not being able to remember the childhood incidents.

>>>非重点解释
老的解释Well, once a popular explanation was that
另外两种解释So let’s put that explanation aside and concentrate on just two.

>>>重点解释
对第二种解释的重点描述So PRJ’s theory of cognitive development .Well, finally in the 1980s, study was done
推翻第二种解释的一个实验now, test showed that there was a faster way of forgetting among the youngest children but most
实验的结论importantly it shows that the development of the recall did not depend on language development.

>>>一个新的解释 there is something called the rate of forgetting

And here goes the questions:
1.main idea
2.某句话的作用(The first sentence is not a nonsense, because the teacher intends to introduce the topic of this class by this sentence. )
3.作者的总体态度(All the old theories were negated or at least have not been justified, and the new theory has not been justified too. So the overall attitude of teacher is that the problem is under research.)
4.细节(relevant&irrelevant,all the relevant info in all the theories, regardless old ones or new one.)
5.关于实验内容(important!)
6.实验的结论(conclusion is always important! And the conclusion of an important experiment is especially important!!!!You can never afford to ignore it!)

That's all about today. Hope my strive will finally pay off, and I believe it will.
作者: 一粒黄豆。    时间: 2013-3-28 22:55
3/28
Today, I failed to accomplish all the tasks signed
I practice speaking for more than 2 hours~

What's more, I found podcast so boring that I decided to listen to TED tomorrow. Hope I enjoy it.
作者: 一粒黄豆。    时间: 2013-3-29 23:33
3/29
TED谭黎
How can I speak in 10 minutes about the bonds of women over three generations, about how the astonishing strength of those bonds took hold in the life of a four-year-old girl huddled with her young sister, her mother and her grandmother for five days in a small boat in the China Sea more than 30 years ago, bonds that took hold in the life of that small girl and never let go.That small girl now living in Sanfrasisco and speaking to you today. This not a finished story. It is a jigsaw puzzle still being together . Let me tell you about some of the pieces. Imagine the first piece, a man burning his life’s work. He is a poet , a play write, a man whose whole life had been balanced on the single hope of his country’s unity and freedom. Imagine him as a communists coming in to S, confronting that his life had been a complete waste. Words, for so long, his friends now mocked him. He retreated into silence. He died broken by history. He is my grandfather. I never know him in real life. But our lives are much more than our memories. My grandmother never let me forget his life. My duty is not allow to have it been in vain and to learn that, yes, history tried to crush us, but we endured. The next jigsaw is a boat in an early dawn slipping silently out to sea. My mother was 18 when her father died already in an arranged marriage already with two small girls. For her, life has stilled in to on tough task the escape of her family and a new life in Australia. It was inconceivable to her that she would not succeed. So after a four-year saga that defies fiction, a boat slipped to sea disguised as a fishing vessel. All the adults know the risks. The greatest fear was of pirates, rape and death. Like most adults on the boat, my mother carried a small bottle of poison. If we were captured, first my sister and I then she and my grandmother would drink. My first memory of the boat was the steady beat of the engine, the bow into each wat, the vast and empty horizon. I don’t remember the pirates who came many times but were bluffed by the bravado of the men on our boat, or the engine dying and failing to start for six hours. But I do remember the light of the oil .. off the .. , and the young man who clasped and died, the journey’s end too much for him, and the first apple I tasted given to me by the men on the rig. No apple has ever tasted the same. After three month in the .. camp, we landed in Melbourne. And the next piece of jigsaw is about four women across three generations shaping a new life together. We settled in .., a working-class suburb whose demographic is layers of immigrants. Unlike the middle-class suburb whose existence I was obviously off, there was no . The smell from the ..door was. And the snippets of halting English were exchanged between people who had one thing in common, they were starting again. My mom worked on a farm then on a car assembly line, working six days double shifts. Somehow she time to learn English and gain IT qualifications. We were poor. All the dollars were allocated and extra tuition in English and Mathemetics was budgeted for regardless of what missed out, which was usually new clothes, they were always secondhand. Two pairs of stockings for school, each to hide the wholes on the other. A school uniform is down to the ankle because it had to last for six years.
To be an insider can so easily mean collapsing the horizons, can so easily mean accepting the presumptions of your province. I have to stayed outside of my comfort zone enough now to know that yes the world does fall apart, but not in the way that you fear.

Jigsaw拼图

My favorite area in the city (常去的/重要的/最爱的地方)
When it comes to “my favorite area in the city”, my answer will always be the park in our community. I usually go there, because it just takes about ten minutes to go back and forth.
If I get up early, I will jog in the park or take a nature walk. If I am tired of study or work, I will go for a walk in park to refresh my mind and recharge my battery.  After that, I can better focus on my study.
What’s more, you know, nowadays, air pollution is a serious problem in the city. But I believe the air in the park is fresh and clean. So I sometimes go to park simply to breathe the fresh air.

When you have problem, will you search on the Internet, check the reference book or ask the teacher?
Well, that depends.
But usually I will first go searching on the Internet, since it is convenient and I can get a bunch of information. Most of time, I can get the answer based on these information. But I do fail sometimes. Then, I will go to library to check the reference book. And, finally, if unfortunately I was still stuck, I would ask the professors for help.
After all, I will not go to teacher every time I have any problem, since I don’t want to bother them too often, you know.

I realized today that when I was answering the 4 and 6 question. I should not bother to remenber and talk about the any little detail. I should state the general structure and fill the detail that I was lucky enough to remenber to the structure. So the rator will learn that I have understood the overall context. And since I provide some detail, they will consider me a good listener~
To sum up, don't just try to write down any detail and miss the important structure. Otherwise, I will fail to show the big picture of the material and just show some broken details, making me appear to be a bad listener.

Another 4 speaking material are also good and worthy typing down. But it's too late, I will post them tomorrow.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
3/30patch
If students want some place to talk to each other or something, there are lots of such places, library, study center or even classroom on campus. School’s cafeteria supposed to be a relaxing place.
It is an unnecessary concern.
College students are no longer kids, they are adults already, and if they want to be more social able and lag up in this competitive environment . They’ll manage to form interpersonal relationship no matter what.
Echo location
Many bats have developed echo location to find their way and hunt the preys in complete darkness. This process helps to determine where location is the prey, how big it is and what direction it is moving.
My favorite video program is coming on in the few minutes but I can’t receive the signal from the school radio station. I don’t know what’s going on.
When I checked the radio station, someone told me that the school’s broadcast system was broken down.
This is driving me crazy.
Take it easy, the broadcast system is ancient, and it has broken three times.
One solution to cope with the current situation is to invite a new system. That will save a lot of headaches(免去一些让人头痛的事) and get it access to wide range of programming.
I don’t know is it feasible, a project like that will be expensive and the budget for recreational program isn’t too large.
The students union can put on a special radio program and invite celebrities and other special guests on, the school will collect ad revenue enough to cover the costs of building a new system.
We can get the mechanical engineering students to take a look and repair our system, I’m sure they’ll appreciate the practical experience.
玩的重要性(表达情绪,舒缓intenseanger;建立creativity motivationsocial skills…
Children have fun when playing games, but playing is also essential to children’s development because it contributes to their physical, social and emotional well-being. For example, playing allows children to obtain a sense of control, when playing is allowed to be child-driven, children practice decision making skills, move on their own pace, discuss their own area of interest and ultimately engage fully in the passions they wish to pursue. However, when all their other aspects such as dining and eating are controlled by adults, children will lose their creativity, motivation and social skill. Play can also help children to express themselves in a way that reduces tension and anxiety, and thus allows them to gain control of their emotions. For example, children often react fear and anxiety by smashing something, so that they can feel better. Therefore, people usually see a children building a toy house and then destroy his work afterward. Playing in such a case allows children to express their anger and thus allay their intense emotions. Thus children who smash their toys should not be punished by their parents.

作者: 一粒黄豆。    时间: 2013-3-30 20:36
3/30
Day4
Ted我们对慈善的误解
I want to talk social innovation and social entrepreneurship.
I happen to have triplets. Being gay and fathering triplets is by far the most socially innovative, socially entrepreneurial thing I have ever done.
The real social innovation I want to talk about involves charity. I want to talk about how the things we’ve been taught to think about giving and about charity and about the nonprofit sector are actually undermining the causes we love and our profound yearning to change the world. But before I do that, I want to ask if we even believe that the nonprofit sector has any serious role to play in changing the world. A lot of people say now that business will lift up the developing economics and social business will take care of the rest. And I do believe that business will move the great mass of humanity forward. But it always leaves behind that 10 percent or more that is most disadvantaged or unlucky. And social business needs markets, and there are some issues for which you just can’t develop the kind of money measures that you need for a market. I sit on the board of a center of the developmentally disabled, and these people want laughter and compassion and they want love. How do you monetize that?  And that’s where the nonprofit sector and philanthropy come in. philanthropy is the market for love. It is the market for all those people for whom there is no other market coming. And so if we really want, like Buckminster fuller said, a world that works for everyone, with no one and nothing left out, then the nonprofit sector has to be a serious part of the conversation. But it doesn’t seem to be working. Why our breast cancer charities cannot come close to finding a cure of breast cancer, or our homeless charities not come close to ending homelessness in any major city? Why has poverty remained stuck at 12 percent of the U.S. population for 40 years? And the answer is, these social problems are massive in scale, our organizations are tiny up against them, and we have a believe system that keeps them tiny. We have two rule books, we have one for nonprofit sector and one for the rest of the economic world. It’s an apartheid, and it discriminates against the nonprofit sector in five different areas, the first being compensation.
So in the for-profit sector, the more value you produce, the more money you can make. But we don’t want nonprofit sector to use money to incentivize people to produce more in social service. We have a visceral reaction to the idea that anyone would make very much money helping other people. It is interesting that we don’t have a visceral reaction to the notion that people would make a lot of money not helping other people. You know, you want to make 50 million dollars selling violent video games to kids, go for it. We’ll put you on the cover of wired magazine. But you want to make half a million dollars trying to cure kids of malaria, and you’re considered a parasite yourself. And we think of this as our system of ethics, but what we don’t realize is that this system has a powerful side effect, which is, it gives a really stark, mutually exclusive choice between doing very well for yourself and your family or doing good for the world to the brightest minds coming out of our best universities, and sends tens of thousands of people who could make a huge difference in the nonprofit sector marching every year directly into the for-profit sector because they are not willing to make that kind of lifelong economic sacrifice. Businessweek did a survey, looked at the compensation packages for MBAs 10 years out of business school, and the median compensation for a Stanford MBA, with bonus, at the age of 38, was 400000 dollars. Meanwhile, for the same year, the average salary for the CEO of a 5 million-plus medical charity in the U.S. was 232000 dollars, and for a hunger charity, 84000 dollars. Now, there is no way you are going to get a lot of people with 400000 talent to make a 316000 sacrifice every year to become the CEO of a hunger charity. Some people say, “well, that’s just because those MBA types are greedy.” Not necessarily. They might be smart. It’s cheaper for that person to donate a 100000dollars every year to the hunger charity, save 50000dollars on their taxes, so still be roughly 270000 dollars a year ahead of the game, now be called a philanthropist because they donated 100000 dollars to charity, probably sit on the board of the hunger charity, indeed, probably supervise the poor SOB who decided to become the CEO of the hunger charity, and have a lifetime of this kind of power and influence and popular praise still ahead of them.

Opportunity/ challenge/ experience
Once upon a time, I participated in an academic contest in the university. In the final part of the contest I was asked to give a presentation on the stage in front of many people, teachers, students and my competitors. I was so nervous because I had no confidence in my English and presentation skills, so I decided to give up.
But my friend encouraged me that this was not a disaster but an opportunity/ challenge. She inspired me. So I finally decided to have a try.
Although at last I didn’t win a medal, my performance was not bad. This experience strengthen my confidence and improve my presentation skills.

Important decision
The most important decision is that I decided to go to U.S. for further study.
First, you know, it will be a big challenge for students like me to live in a foreign country. I will have to cope with all kinds of problems all by myself, to deal with complex interpersonal relationship and culture confliction between I and many other students from all over the world.
On the other side, this is also a good opportunity for me, since I major in finance, which is thrive in U.S. I will have access to advanced method, theory and knowledge and be able to get touch with famous scholars and authorities in this area.

Students should be required to learn art and music in secondary school.
I agree that Students should be required to learn art and music in secondary school.
Some people hold the opinion that art and music have nothing to do with other subject such as physical and math.
However, I have many evidences to refute this cliché. For example, we all know that da vinci was not only a great artist but also a biologist and a medical scientist. So there do exist relationship between art and music and other subjects.
What’s more, scientists have discovered that art and music can inspire people and stimulate people’s imagination. Therefore, learning art and music will help students to be more creative and imaginative. They could express themselves in the form of art and music.
达芬奇生平
他在后来回忆这段经历时说:“我突然产生了两种情绪——害怕和渴望:对漆黑的洞穴感到害怕,又想看看其中是否会有什么怪异的东西。”他一生都被这两种情绪所羁束——对生活之不可知或无力探知的神秘感到害怕,而又想把这个神秘之不可知性加以揭露,加以研究,解释其含义,描绘其壮观。他很早就下定决心,要做一个研究者、一个教师、尤其是一个艺术家。
自己翻译:
He later recalled the experience: "I suddenly had two emotions, fear and desire: I had fear for the dark cave but curious about whether there was any monster in the cave." His life where beam by(怎么翻译?一生都被这两种情绪羁绊) these two kinds of emotion: He was frightened by mysterious that he was unknown or unable to detect, and wanted to expose this mysterious, to explain its meaning, and describe its spectacular.

关于艺术和科学
Education involves cultivating intellectually, culturally, morally and physically. We go to school to learn different things from books and teachers. We go to school to get training of various kinds in order to be well-behaved, intelligent, considerate, creative, imaginative and useful to society. We get to know cultural differences of different times and different countries; we learn to distinguish right from wrong and cultivate our patriotism; we also have physical training to build up good health. Every kind of knowledge learned at this period will offers us a window to a more splendid world of science and culture, and will help us develop our healthy characters and a good structure of knowledge.
In improves our existence by enhancing, changing and perpetuating our cultural composition.
Art is a thoughtful and emotional expression. It has many forms, such as painting, sculpture, architecture and calligraphy.
Art is a means of communion as well as communication.

作者: 一粒黄豆。    时间: 2013-3-31 22:19
3/31
Today I went to People Square with my friend. And I bought a dress and a short sleeve T-shirt. Although they are not on sale, I save 200 RMB by filling a questionnaire
And I realized my legs are so 粗....that I have to dress long skirt to conseal my legs   I will soon beat the TOEFL and GMAT , and then I can take time to lose weight!!!
I want to build a sexy and healthy body figure!!!!!!

Today I haven't practiced speaking.... But I will review the speaking matierals that I posted in the other day.
作者: 一粒黄豆。    时间: 2013-4-1 22:04
4/1
I was so down. I can't see the hope..... I am still stammering when speaking...

And I realized that when I continue to speak for a long time, my mind will stop working!!! I will just repeat what has been in my mind and not try to creat. Maybe this is the reason why I will stammer!

So tomorrow I will try my best to think think think!!!!!!!!!!

I will beat you TOEFL!!

PS. Don't stop reading ,listening good staff. you know  ,no in , no out我也不知道咋说,就是 没有输入就没有输出呀!

Speaking Tips
Useful tips: (suitable for all questions)
☛Make it NATURAL, pauses, such as “well”, “um”, and “you know”, are
advisable, but don’t do it too much.
☛CORRECT your mistakes as soon as you find out, for example, “... I
really like standing in, I mean, ON the mountain,”(I know it’s a bad
example. What I’m trying to clarify is that it is OK to make mistakes,
but you gotta correct it once you made it.) so the examiner would not
count down your score.
☛There is NO NEED to use freaking words, like “exonerate”, which
means absolve, and “flamboyant”, which means showy. But those
words are good to use in your essay.
☛“The FIRST way, the LAST way, the NEVER FAILING way to develop
self-confidence in speaking is--TO SPEAK.” --Dale Carnegie
Independent speaking (Question 1 & 2)
In this section, you are asked to present your own opinion and provide
examples to support your ideas.
Useful tips:
☛Your answer should be as SPECIFIC as possible. You need to stick to a
point UNTIL you finish it, have done with it, and need never return to
it again.
☛The key to score high is to make each point WELL-DEVELOPED, and
that DOES NOT mean you need to make as much points as you can,
two would be great.
☛Truth and REASONABLE LIES are totally acceptable.
☛DO NOT say “I have three(or whatever) reasons to support my idea”,
or some thing like that after you state your opinion. There is no
guarantee that you are able to finish your answer within 45 seconds.
Instead, you can say “I have a couple of reasons to say.”
Question 1
Your answer can go like this:
“Personally, I would have to say that, um, my favorite ... is ... . And there
are a couple of reasons to name. The most important thing is that, you
know, ... . What’s more, ... . So that’s why ... .”
Question 2
“Well, in my opinion, I would definitely agree with the point that, um, ... .
The first reason that I wanna say is that ... . More importantly, ... . So,
uh, that’s why I choose ... for the two reasons listed above.”

作者: 一粒黄豆。    时间: 2013-4-2 13:00
Day 6

I’m all for…  (I agree with)
Kick back and relax; wind up (relax)
Eye-opening (broaden ..horizon)
Decent (good)
Let off steam; ease your mind (release pressure)
A fortune ( a great amount of money)
Do someone a favor (help sb)
Give it my best shot (try one’s best)
Celebrity (famous people)
Worn-out (tired)
Have mixed feelings about (like&hate)
Get cold feet (want to give up)
Time-honored (has history)
Aromatic (food)
Fragrant (flowers)
Check out (feel)
Carry out ; Go about (do sth)
Work out (do exercise)
Get so worked up  (nervous)
Get…stuck (trapped)
Expand one’s knowledge/outlook  (broaden one’s horizon)
Dynamic (有活力的)
Bogus (山寨的adj.)
Knockoff (山寨版n.)
Aromatic dishes 香喷喷的饭菜
Recreational activities 娱乐活动
Has a nice figure (女性)身材好
Amenities 生活和休闲设施(such as store, sports centers and parks)
A xx-year-old  (xx岁的小孩)
Bustling (繁华的)
Calm your nerves 让你的心灵平静
Cultural diversity 文化多样性
Customer base 顾客群

越毒小分队某一篇->>>>>>about social isolation, loneliness of old people
Scientists have long known that both social isolation and feelings of loneliness can increase risk of illness and death in people. But it has been less clear whether isolation, which can lead to loneliness, undermines health, or whether either factor, acting alone, can harm well-being. Today, researchers report in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences that limited contact with family, friends and community groups predicts illness and earlier death, regardless of whether it is accompanied by feelings of loneliness1.
The scientists analysed data from 6,500 people aged 52 and older enrolled in the English Longitudinal Study of Ageing, which monitors the health, social well-being and longevity of people living in England. The researchers evaluated social isolation on the basis of the amount of contact participants reported having with family, friends and civic organizations, and they assessed loneliness using a questionnaire. They tracked sickness and mortality in study participants from 2004 to 2012.
The researchers found that social isolation was correlated with higher mortality — even after adjusting for pre-existing health conditions and socioeconomic factors — but loneliness was not.
“When we think about loneliness and social isolation, we often think of them as two faces of the same coin,” says Andrew Steptoe, a psychologist and epidemiologist at University College London, who led the study. But the findings suggest that a lack of social interaction harms health whether or not a person feels lonely, he says. “When you’re socially isolated, you not only lack companionship in many cases, but you may also lack advice and support from people.”
The findings contradict two recent studies that suggest loneliness is associated with declining health and increased mortality in older people2, 3. “I think it’s kind of a puzzle that we now need to solve,” says John Cacioppo, a psychologist at the University of Chicago in Illinois, and a co-author of one of the earlier studies. He says more work is needed to understand cultural factors that may influence results, such as differences in the way people report loneliness.
Steptoe says that he plans to examine whether social isolation affects treatment and outcomes during illness. That does not mean loneliness should be ignored, he says.
“We should make every effort to try to alleviate the loneliness of older people,” says Steptoe. “But at the same time, we need to attend just to the sheer amount of social contact that people have and make sure that people do maintain their social contacts. That might be just as important.”
一篇满分作文
2011-8-2 Independent Writing
Does modern technology help students learn more information and learn it more quickly?

Marvelous as it looks at first sight, modern technology does not help students learn information at a greater speed and with higher efficiency in most cases; or it could work towards the opposite direction which led students to lose their initiative to learn and explore.
开头:表明立场。简洁清晰到落泪。。。
First of all, one property of modern technology is latently harmful to any learning mind it distracts. One thing we feel about when we are searching for information online is that the internet, as an outstanding example of modern technology and even regarded as the innovator of education, provides us with not only relevant results to make use of, but also external links to click. More than once I turned on my computer to check school library for resources, but ended up watching Youtube videos. In this case, computer as a representative of modern technology plays a negative role in learning information. We do acquire more information with the convenient tool, yet most of them are irrelevant and in the end procrastinating would lower our learning.
第一,分散注意力,举例:电脑  例子:自己身上的事情
Also, students would easily become disoriented in the huge sea of information. Although modern technology could equip us with easy access to information, the huge amount of resources would actually leave us discombobulated. Therefore, it is only we possess information more quickly rather than we learn it more quickly. An illustrating example is my experience with a HK digital library which stores almost all the books I desire. At first I enjoyed downloading them from the database, however, one month later I ended up with hundreds of books stored in my hardware yet none of them finished or ever clicked.
第二,信息过多,仅仅提供了方便的途径,而不是更快的学习。例子:自己身上的事
Furthermore, modern technology gives students an illusion that information and real knowledge is easy to learn just by clicking mouse or watching videos. But in fact this forms only the first step towards useful information and effective learning, as learning of any kind requires full concentration and interactive thinking, which are almost absent in the pocess of popular e-learning experience.
第三,误导学生,知识容易学习。但获得知识仅仅是学习的第一步
To summarize, modern technology does not help students learn more information and learn it more quickly, though it does make access to information and resources much more easily. The popular e-learning still lacks the concentration, depth, and interaction that are the hallmark of traditional ways of educating and learning.
总结,科技让人更方便更容易地获得信息,但没有让人更会学习。
好到落泪的一篇文章!!!!!!!!!结构清晰。句子完全没有一句多余。有一些高级词汇彰显实力。有长句,有例子,例子是自己的,真实并且能说明问题。
重点是这个文章非常非常的简洁,没有一句为了充字数写出来的废话,功底无敌深厚!!

口语整理
The most important book
I’d like to say Jane Eyre is the most importantbook to me.
First, to be honest, this book enlightened me. Iread this book in secondary school. I was impatient, you know, so I had neverfinished a book until this one.After that, I began to read, since I knew there were so many amazing bookswaiting for me.
On the other hand, I learned a lot from thisbook. It is a kind of power supporting me all the time. When the novel begins,Jane is an isolated, powerless ten-year-old girl living with an aunt andcousins who dislike her. However, by novel’s end she has become a powerful, independent woman. I learned that people should be strong enough not only physically but also mentally to overcome all the difficulties.
So this book meansa lot to me.
Qualifications of good parents
I would have to say that parents shouldfirstly have a sense of responsibility.Because, you know, parenting is a tough task: parentsmust be patient enough to take care of their kids when they are little, toaccept all the flaws of their kids when they are grown up and help to cope withall the troubles in the whole lives of kids.And I think loving alone is not enough to support parents to deal with allthese stuff. So, that’s why they need a sense of responsibility.
What’s more, being good at communication is another crucial qualification of goodparents. Cauz, you know,communication could help children and parents get toknow each other better, especially when kids are going through adolescence. And a goodrelationship between parents and kids will do good to growing of kids.
离开家以后最想念的东西(dishes cooked by parents)
When I am away from my home, I missed the dishes cooked by my parents most.
First, you know, different regions are different in diet culture. Even two neighboring villagescan have different local dishes. So I can’t adapt to diet when I am away fromhome, especially in the first few weeks. And that will make me missing thedishes of my hometown.
What’s more, both my mom and dad are good at cooking. They cook for me every day when I was home. And I can always recall the picture of us sitting around, eating delicious dishes.It’s warm and I really miss these days.
最memorable的photograph
The mostmemorable photograph is the picture in which mom, dad and I were sittingaround, eating. This photo was taken before I was going to leave for college.And my sister took the picture for us. Now I go back home every three months,because it takes 6 hours to go back and forth. So that mains we rarely see eachother. When I miss them I’ll look at this picture, and it will recall me someof the best memories.
What’smore, I really miss dished cooked by my parents. You know, it is hard for me toadapt to diet in college. Well, I had lost a few pounds after I enteredcollege. Just looking at this photo makes my mouth watering.
带外国朋友去哪里(park)
Well, if my foreign friends are coming, I will bring them tothe park in our community.
You know, most of foreigners come to China to check out theprofound Chinese culture. And most of people think museum is the best place togo. However, in my opinion, having a walk in a park is the best way to touchChinese culture.
There are lots of people practicing tai ji, playingtraditional instruments, performing pecking opera, playing Chinese chess anddoing other kinds of stuff related to Chinese culture. You name it. And mostimportantly, unlike collections in museum, all these stuff are alive. Myfriends can enjoy the free display on alive, talk to these folks and even learnsome stuff if they like. These people are really enthusiastic.

今天整理口语,可真是思如泉涌啊 思如泉涌怎么说 ideas pouring out of my mind?

作者: 一粒黄豆。    时间: 2013-4-6 22:52
清明休息了几天真爽,明天下午就回学校了,又要开始朝8晚10的日子了
昨天看书看到一句话,是记者采访韩寒的
Q:如果有年轻人问你,如何可以做到跟你一样自由地去追逐梦想,你会怎么回答?

A:能这么问的人都没有决心去自由追逐梦想,有决心的人基本都不问别人。

嗯,有决心的人不需要问别人。

木哈哈睡觉了,盼了46天的亲戚今天终于也来了  真是个珍贵的清明~~
作者: kimwang53    时间: 2013-4-7 18:08
过来支持一下!一战710,so cool~ 祝杀T成功!加油
作者: 一粒黄豆。    时间: 2013-4-8 18:17
kimwang53 发表于 2013-4-7 18:08
过来支持一下!一战710,so cool~ 祝杀T成功!加油

谢谢~~~ 你也加油~~
作者: 一粒黄豆。    时间: 2013-4-8 18:28
有决心的人,不需要问别人。
有决心的人,不需要跟人讲。
中间发生的破事不讲了,不是我要focus的点,不要让没有意义的事distract me

给自己定两条规矩,1.在别人没有邀请的情况下,不要提意见。  2.自己的决心用来敦促每天的学习,不需要跟别人提起,也不要多费口舌。

I will prove myself. You will see.
作者: 一粒黄豆。    时间: 2013-4-9 21:01
I should post in English, but the following opinion is hard to express in English, so i decided to broke the rule once.

3,5心得,
一句话讲reading内容,一句话讲people的态度
  一句话概括一个态度,一定是概括。然后用2句话解释这个态度。
  一句话概括另一个态度,然后2句解释。
一共8句话。

1-2句描述problem,一句话solution
  一句话自己的立场first/second solution,在纸上写下来,不要说错。
先说 支持的solution的好处,2-3句。
后说 反对的solution的坏处,2句。
一共8句话。

关键
第三题,听得时候注意意见提出者的主要评价句,作为speak时态度的概括句。
第五题,注意材料对不同solution的评价,记在自己的观点里。用材料的顾虑来攻击不好的solution,自己想一个办法来解决支持的solution的问题。
作者: 一粒黄豆。    时间: 2013-4-10 20:54
Technology
Prehistoric humans had an average life expectancy of around 20 years. A difficult question has consumed abundant research for many decades.
A young man starts a career, or begins to learn to be socially and financially independent, when he or she is twenty-something. This is a time that a person’s social life formally begins. But looking into our remote past, according to anthropological studies, our forefathers in the stone age, had already journeyed to the end of their lives. Why there is such a sea change in terms of our life expectancy? The answer is multifaceted.
Thanks to the development of modern agriculture, people are now eating better and healthier than they ever did before. Generally speaking, with the growing availability of meats and egg products, the amount of nutrition the average human eats has increased continuously. In addition, people nowadays have begun to recognize the importance of quality and balance when it comes to nutrition. Nowadays professions such as nutritionist or dietitian have arisen, highlighting how modern man not only eats to survive, but also to enjoy and maintain health.
Development of medical science. Illnesses like smallpox were considered fatal up until early 1980s. Since then the disease has been eradicated. Incurable disease can now be treated within days. An improved health care system is now protecting people from common disorders like flu or fever, and modern medicines are widely available to the general population.
The invention of airplanes has benefited us the most dramatically.
Despite its relatively recent appearance, the airplane has revolutionized our concept of travel. It is the very first time in human history that …
Thanks to the airplane, the time spent in traveling has been reduced significantly, especially when it comes to inter-continental traveling. One thing is for sure: if Phileas Fogg lived today, he certainly wouldn’t bet his journey around the world on 80 days.
The invention of the airplane has made casual long-distance travel possible. Such a voyage was not only considered tome-consuming, but also dangerous. Thanks to this new means of transportation, what used to be a once in a life-time adventure is already considered a weekly routine by many people around the world. In other words, the appearance of the airplane has made the world “smaller”.
This new vehicle has not only changed the way we travel, but also altered our way of thinking about travel. With the tremendous amount of time saved, we are now able to do more businesses and complete more tasks within the same period of time. All in all…
Progress is agonizing to some extent; however, it is inevitable and is always good in the long run.
The world has been witnessing progress, either steady or dramatic, for all of the history. Most prominent forms of progress is the rapid development of science and technology. With the help of modern scientific techniques, we are able to keep in touch with our family members who are living miles away, make marathon phone calls or chat on the internet. In contrast, people in ancient times had to transmit signals by torches or send messaged by pigeons. Technology not only shortens the distance between global citizens but also assists in extending the longevity of human beings. More advanced medical facilities … more effective pills are available to treat those fatal disease that used to be incurable.
The progress in the humanities and social sciences such as philosophy, archeology and anthropology also made their mark. We have found many new fields of inquiry such as psychology and sociology to better understand our individual and social realities.
It should be admitted that progress has a flip side.
Nevertheless, it is always good in broad terms and in the long run.
科技带来的问题
Constantly checking wireless mobile devices can lead to obsessive-compulsive disorder(强迫性精神障碍) ,claims a California psychologist in his new book.70% of those who report heavily using mobile devices experience “phantom vibration(幽灵震动)syndrome”, which is what happens when you feel your pocket buzzes and there’s no phone in your pocket .The book focuses on mental health challenges linked to heavy technology use ,including smartphones and social media sites.过度依赖智能手机和社交媒体等新技术对人们精神健康的影响。
网络个人信息发布给人带来的负面影响
Whether it is photos , personal status or unwanted comments, 90% of Americans think people “overshare” personal information online ,a survey by Intel Corporation showed. Most US adults said they are vexed by people who complain constantly and post inappropriate or explicit photos and private information .About 85% of Americans post information online and a quarter do it every day ,according to the servey.

Along with the tremendous benefits that the automobile has brought to us, automobile also poses a serious threat to people’s health and the environment.
undesirable consequences.
Although our government has imposed a mandatory installment of catalytic converters on every vehicle,
The polluted air is posing a serious threat to people’s health.
This is especially true in the fields of education and science.
Many people can study at home without spending money or time attending a University.
We are living in the fast-pacing and everyday-refreshed world that is surrounded by new technology springing up everywhere in the modern time.
Electricity, telecommunication, television, modern transportation patterns, etc., have been dramatically changed our lives and influence our ways of thinking.
The daily errands that took hours now only take a matter of minutes.
Cities with high-rises boom up owing to the inventions of cranes and cement. The invention of cell phones makes you available to your business partners and friends.
The communication revolution has made it easy for people to get information and communicate at an unprecedented speed. What used to take hours of searching through libraries can suddenly be done in a matter of minutes on the internet.
Health
Because health is so vitally important to our ability to accomplish any, and every, other life goal, I do several things to maintain my good health. I eat healthily, exercise regularly, and get enough sleep.
Skip a meal
Eat a balanced diet
Regular and plentiful sleep is also a key to good health. staying up late can be harmful to the metabolism.
I learned to detach myself from stress by growing flowers
The maintenance of good interpersonal relations and proper relaxation through hobbies endow me with mental health.
Environment
保护资源
By 2030 the combined capacity of 2 planets will not be sufficient to support global demand unless a step change in consumption patterns can be delivered ,according to the World Widelife Fund .

Work by hand
Only our hands can perform with full dexterity, only our hands can express emotions through our work, and only our hands do not suffer from unexpected breakdowns.
Indeed machines can assemble intricate computer chips and operate in extreme conditions. In daily life, however, I find that my trusty hands are capable of solving my quotidian problems with unparalleled ease.
Not only are our hands more skilled, but they can also create artistic objects which represent our passions and desire.
For example, a study done by the University of Chicago concluded that….
Our hands do not face the critical weakness of machines: they do not accidently stop working properly because of computer viruses; they do not need professional mechanics to do maintenance; and they certainly do not need to be discarded because a newer version has been introduced. In addition, unlike machines, our hands are free and require no extra upkeep beyond what required for our body as a whole.

缺乏阅读和思考对人的负面影响
88.6% of people say they are surrounded by all-rounders or jack-of-all-trades(煎饼人,门门通门门松), and 27.7% admit that they themselves are part of that grouping, according to a survey into over 10,000 people .When asked why there are so many all-rounders ,54.1% of people say it is because people are becoming increasingly fickle(浮躁)and spend less time in reading and thinking.

语言表达的重要性
Wisdom is a tree that grows in the heart ,and its fruit appears upon the tongue .---German philologist , Friedrich Diez
智慧是一颗树,它根植于心中,结果在舌上。

speaking tips
Question 3
Your answer could go like this:
“The school has implemented a new policy that ... due to ... . And the
man/woman holds a positive/negative view towards the announcement.
The first reason s/he gives is that ... . And the second one is based on the
fact that ... .”
Useful tips:
☛In the reading part, DO NOT waste your time on taking notes, it is
unnecessary. Just figure out what the announcement is mainly
talking about, you do not need to say anything about it after all.
☛When listening, just write down THREE major points--attitude, reason
1 & reason 2. You can use “+” and “-” to represent positive attitude
and negative attitude.
☛Make sure that you get ALL the reasons that the man/woman gives.
Any thing missed will lower your score.
☛DO NOT spend too much time explaining why the school has pull out
the policy, simple words would be fine.
☛DO NOT spend too much time retelling the first reason, you should
finish talking about it in 20 seconds.

Question 5
In question 5, you are asked to paraphrase the man/woman’s problem
and then retell the solutions that the woman/man comes up with. And
for this time, you should make a choice between the two.
“In this conversation, the man/woman is having a hard time dealing
with the problem that … . And the woman/man offers him/ her two
possible solutions. One is … . The other is … . And if it were my choice, I
would choose the former/latter one, because ... .”
Useful tips:
☛The OPTIMAL time allotment is: 10 seconds for the problem, 17
seconds for each solution, and 10 seconds for your choice and why,
and about 6 seconds pausing throughout your answer.
☛DO REMEMBER that you HAVE TO state your opinion in your answer.
BUT do not spend too much time on that.
☛Make your answer as SIMPLE as it can be, you really don’t have
enough time to cover everything mentioned in the conversation.
☛DO say “the man/woman offers her/him TWO(or THREE) solutions.”
This is to ensure that you get all the solutions even if you can’t finish
you answer in time, so the examiner will still give you a good score.

作者: 一粒黄豆。    时间: 2013-4-10 22:35
Good news~ I get 7 in IR section, and 5 in AWA.
However, actually I felt I did a bad work in IR section, I skipped a lot of questions(at leat 5). But finally I got 7!!!
So this tells us that sometimes we can't rely on our feelings
Hope I can get a higher score in verbal section
作者: 一粒黄豆。    时间: 2013-4-11 15:59
大家经常误以为“on the one hand”和“on the other hand”之间有递进或者并列的关系。事实上,这一对短语一般是用于提出两个相反的事物和看法(introduce two contrasting points, facts, or ways of looking at something)。

我们对比下面两个例子:

正确的使用:

On the one hand, if the body doesn't have enough cholesterol, we would not be able to survive. On the other hand, if the body has too much cholesterol, the excess begins to harden the arteries.

大意:从一方面讲,如果身体没有足够的胆固醇,我们不可能生存。从另外一方面讲,如果身体的胆固醇过高,血管可能硬化。

作者: 一粒黄豆。    时间: 2013-4-14 21:15
I've collected enough material for writing, at least 80% of the required and highly tested topics.

I have to read them every day and read as more model essays as I can, finishing 2 model essay books in following week. Another book teaching students how to write good essay will arrive tomorrow, so I really have to make time to read that one~

After all, if I improve the intensity of reading and writing , it is possible for me to accomplish my plan. After that, my level should have been decided. So there is nothing to be worried. Just do as I planed.

In the meantime, I will continue practicing 3-6 in speaking section. To be honest, I don't want to touch the 1&2. 80 topics....omg... I'd rather waiting for jj, and at about 4/25, I will begin practicing 1&2 regardless whether jj has come out or not. If not, I will practice 80 topics first.

At about end of April, I will begin practicing listening section using TPO left. By the way, no matter how easy is reading section, I should at leat read all the TPO readings to show my respect for reading

And the last 10 days will be used to practice all the sections.

All in all, I allow no failure this time.
作者: 一粒黄豆。    时间: 2013-4-19 22:21
算是一点经验吧。托福作文追求什么? 信息量! 你要让你的作文informative。
一篇文章里必须至少有一个具体的例子。
有两个例子,文章内容就很充实了。加上适当的论证。清晰的结构。4分没问题。

例子一般有虚例,实例这两种。
虚例,就是一种假设的情况,没有具体的人物时间地点。就像口语部分lecture中,professor也经常给出这种虚例。

实例一般分为自己的和别人的这两种。
别人的可以是历史上名人的,流行的时事。
自己的可以是本人的,也可以是朋友的,听说的,总之是发生在生活中的。

这些例子其实没有好坏。看自己怎么准备。有一些例子,从不同的角度,可以有不同的理解,用于不同题材的段落。

托福作文不要一味追求丰富的词组句子,这些纵然很重要,但最实质的还是information,你作文的结构框架,你的观点,支持观点的例子。
从各种考试越毒,尤其gmat,就可以看出,在美国人眼里,一篇标准的文章就是清晰的结构,明确地观点,还有就是例证。

在内容的基础上,背一些词组句子,看一些范文,写完文章不要就算了,要改。把很土的词upgrade,把很朴素的句型也改得花哨一些。
一篇文章如果有充实的内容清晰的框架和观点,再加上一些亮点词语,句子。尽可能避免语病。就可以达到4分了!
作者: 一粒黄豆。    时间: 2013-4-19 22:23
虽然一战独立作文已经4.0-5.0了,但不能排除运气的因素。
这次是我的最后一战,不允许任何意外情况。我把话撂着了,必须28分。
综合写作以前弱在听力,词汇量虽然够越毒,但会用的少。
这次会针对性地制作模板,背一些类别的词汇来使用。加之听力也较以前有很大提高。4分也不是问题。

那么两个四分,就有28了。 fighting
作者: 一粒黄豆。    时间: 2013-4-19 22:28
再来说说口语。
conversation的那两道,没什么问题。
lecture最近一直遭遇说不完的窘境。

对于口语部分的笔记,现在有了新的看法。不是越多越好,而是有重点地记。主题要有,框架要有,支持主题的主要细节。
不要试图什么都记,这样一方面可能错过重要的内容,另一方面,由于笔记很多很乱,在20秒准备的时候常常看不懂记了什么,或者说不完。
通过控制笔记的量,一方面提升记录的质量,另一方面也控制时间。

3456接下来我会一套一套做。在考试前估计能把tpo做完。

最后还剩下12,说实话以前真的很怕。但其实第一题,抛弃固执的想法,用通俗的例子,套在不同的题材上,根据前人的经验,35个足以。
第二题,类似作文题。经过最近作文提纲的联系,思路拓开了,不至于没话说。

接下来很重要的是流利度。

相信只要努力,提高4分不是梦。

加上有jj帮忙呢~
作者: 一粒黄豆。    时间: 2013-4-19 22:36
最后就是越毒和听力了。
越毒不再另外花时间复习了。考前会把单词题440道再做个一遍。镇魂单词再扫一两遍。
经过这么一段时间的小分队,加上之前28分的越毒基础,这次冲击30分。要的是细心细心再细心,大意失荆州啊!

听力不是短时间能提高的,这次已经没有打算再花很多时间在听力上了。
考前翘课那一个礼拜,会集中每天听两个小时听力,来激活状态。
现在的基础,加上考前的准备,我有信心摘下27!

对了,听力词汇也是一个问题。等作文词汇结束了,开始看听力词汇吧。

离考试还有不到30天,剔除期中考试,大概还有20天这样。足够了! 加油吧,向110分进军!
看到大牛们的分数,各种优秀背景,真是对出国申请感到压力山大,举步维艰。

但是着眼于眼前这个110,梦想还是触手可及的~ 脚踏实地走下去吧!
作者: 一粒黄豆。    时间: 2013-4-19 22:41
Question 4
“In the lecture, the professor mainly talked about the theory that ... . To
reinforce the theory, the professor gave two reasons in his speech. The
first one is that … . The other one is that … . And that’s the two reasons
the speaker presented to explain his idea.(The conclusion is optional)”
Useful tips:
☛Find the KEY words as soon as possible and then write them down.
This is to make sure that you will know what the professor is gonna
talk about.
☛Pay attention to the JARGONS in order to get familiar with the words
that you don’t know before.
☛Do not panic if you don’t know anything about the subject, because
your opinion is NOT included.

Question 6
In question 6, the speaker usually gives two examples to explain a
theory or a phenomenon. So your main job is to find what the theory or
the phenomenon is, and jot down the examples that the professor
presents in the lecture.
“In the lecture, the professor provides two examples to illustrate the
phenomenon/theory that … . The first one is that … . Another example Is
that … . And that’s the two examples the speaker presented to explain
the theory/phenomenon.(Still, the conclusion is optional)”. (You can
make adjustments on this style according to different lectures)
Useful tips:
☛The OPTIMAL time allotment is: 15 seconds for the theory/
phenomenon, 20 seconds for each example, and about 5 seconds
pausing throughout you answer.
☛Question 6, to a certain extent, is quite similar to question 4. However,
Q6 is even HARDER because you don’t have the chance to read
anything about the lecture. So, stay ALERT while you are listening.
☛Take as many details as you can, it HASN’T to be written in English,
CHINESE is fine! Choose whatever the EASIEST way for you.
☛You should catch the TRANSITIONAL WORDS, such as “what’s more”
and “moreover”, which indicate that the professor is gonna talk about
another point.

这个之前倒没注意过~下次注意
作者: 一粒黄豆。    时间: 2013-4-23 15:53
Comply with/abide by-----the law/the rules/the guidelines
It’s essential that kids adapt to their school life early on.
While the print appeals only to the sense of sight, television appeals to both sight and hearing simultaneously.
They attributed their success to having a competent team working for them.
The curriculum of this course is geared toward students who lack motivation in their studies.
Many students were stressed out after the serious cramming for the finals.
Together these brought out the recent financial crisis.带来
If I keep working like this, I’ll burn out.
The latest statement from the Pentagon clashed with prior statements from the White House.与…冲突
That was how the internet came into being.逐渐形成
Regulations first came about in the U.S. to deal with services of transportation companies.逐渐形成
Some students came up with truly original ideas while many others just followed suit. 提出/跟着别人模仿
Some students have a hard time coping with the daily stress.
In America, kids between the ages of 10 and 16 spend an average of six hours a day in front of a screen. They really should cut down on the screen time.
Draw on-----others’ experience 借鉴
Face up to---a difficult situation勇于面对
No matter how short an advertisement is , there’s always a lot you can get across, which is really amazing. 传达,表达清楚
Give rise to—unemployment/inflation/debate/alienation from one another
Teachers should give priority to the cultivation of students’ critical thinking ability.
The pamphlet tells you how to go about the application.从事
The future of the economy hinges on whether the recession can be curbed.
Parents shouldn’t impose their own values on their kids.
Infringe on----other individuals’ rights侵犯
They played black eyed peas’ songs to liven up the party. 让…更活跃=brighten up/spice up (oral)
No matter how busy you are, make sure you don’t lose track of things.对…失去了解或者掌控
It’s easy for people to lose track of time when they use the Internet.
She’s been talking to Chris all evening-she really should be mingling with other guests.进行社交活动
Sometimes it’s hard to nail down exactly what the weaknesses of a system are.把…弄清楚,确定
We wander through libraries, page through thick texts, spend hours at the computer, conduct painstaking research, and consult with experts. 一页页翻
The couple tried to patch up their marriage.
Jesse Jackson passes up a pro baseball contract and became a preacher instead.错过,放弃
If all of us pitch in together, it won’t take too long to finish the project.一起努力
Our inner strength will enable us to prevail over life’s obstacles.战胜,克服
Every night, the writer spends some time reflecting on the things that have happened during the day.认真思考,反思
They just scraped through their tests even though they never did much work.勉强混过
It was the worst movie we had to sit through.坐等…结束
Speed up----pace of life/economic growth
Stations sprang up all over the country almost overnight.
This success will spur students on to greater achievements.激励某人继续前进(to 是介词)
Life is hectic. We can barely squeeze in the time to exercise. And when we do, we feel guilty that we’re not doing the hundred other things on our to-do list.
Succumb to----temptation/peer pressure
People often fail to take their own limits into account when setting goals for themselves.
I’ve recently taken up jogging.开始某种爱好
I really need to wind down after such a hectic day. =relax
Work out a plan to do sth. 规划出
Things will work out in the end.得到解决
It’s important to work out regularly.锻炼
Fulfill---one’s potential/tasks/promise
Freedom of speech/thought/belief/religion
Secure one’s freedom
Xxx is a modern, enlightened and progressive university开明的,进步的
Rhetorical skills用语言去说服和大东别人的技巧
Not only will kids improve their cardiovascular and muscular strength, endurance, flexibility and hand-eye coordination, but they will also learn perseverance, goal-setting and coping skills to deal with success and failure.
Fossil fuel is of great importance to the development of industry, transportation and tourism.
Be of use/importance/help/value/interest/significance/necessity/quality
Some people argue that the new instruction methodology can help students develop intellectually and emotionally.
All this material is now quickly, inexpensively and readily available from the comfort of our desks and workstations.
In his biography, the message of perseverance and holding fast to one’s dreams in the face of adversity is very strong.坚守,牢牢把握
It’s important to bear in mind that an assessment based on the data is only a prediction. The results are not carved in stone. 牢记/基于=on the basis of/不是一成不变的

小姨书里的内容实在太多了。。只能打这些= = 所以我还是继续每天背着他的书吧

作者: 一粒黄豆。    时间: 2013-4-28 21:06
speaking sample
1 学会叙述事件,用例子来support
2 同上
4 p61,63
5 p70,71
6 p77,79

3456学会高度概括! 在口语中也多用不同的句型,尝试说长一点的句子! 总是简单的主谓宾感觉很低级啊摔!

作者: 一粒黄豆。    时间: 2013-4-28 21:09
May day is coming. Most of classmates go back to home But I can't.... I have to sit in the library and study toefl...

But at least I should relax

I made plan for tomorrow and now I'm going back to dorm and watching running man
作者: 一粒黄豆。    时间: 2013-4-29 22:01
现实太残酷,唉,不说了,都是泪
作者: 童颜公主    时间: 2013-5-1 09:10
一粒黄豆。 发表于 2013-4-28 21:09
May day is coming. Most of classmates go back to home But I can't.... I have to sit in the librar ...

加油加油,一起努力!
作者: 童颜公主    时间: 2013-5-1 09:11
一粒黄豆。 发表于 2013-4-29 22:01
现实太残酷,唉,不说了,都是泪

怎么了?战友~发生什么事了~
作者: 一粒黄豆。    时间: 2013-5-1 20:16
童颜公主 发表于 2013-5-1 09:11
怎么了?战友~发生什么事了~

哎 关于找实习的,现实太残酷啊   不过我已经振作啦! 小事而已~~
作者: 童颜公主    时间: 2013-5-3 23:15
一粒黄豆。 发表于 2013-5-1 20:16
哎 关于找实习的,现实太残酷啊   不过我已经振作啦! 小事而已~~

好啊!解决就好,坚持到底!经常回来写写复习内容噢~ 这里考的人好少
作者: 一粒黄豆。    时间: 2013-5-3 23:55
今天做了tpo22 阅读错8,听力错4.。。阅读真是一口老血喷在屏幕上了。。。。
本以为一年前28,再加上一年的学习,再加上gmat的速度锻炼,阅读应该轻松30了。。。错八个是什么情况

。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。
阅读答案有两个错了。。。阅读错6,稍微好接受一点。但是离目标还很远
作者: 童颜公主    时间: 2013-5-5 00:23
唉,好羡慕楼上。。。我晚上也做下TPO22,看看有多大差距,肯定像鸿沟一样大。。。。
作者: 一粒黄豆。    时间: 2013-5-5 11:13
童颜公主 发表于 2013-5-5 00:23
唉,好羡慕楼上。。。我晚上也做下TPO22,看看有多大差距,肯定像鸿沟一样大。。。。 ...

加油啦!都是这么走过来滴~坚持就会胜利
作者: 童颜公主    时间: 2013-5-6 11:41
一粒黄豆。 发表于 2013-5-5 11:13
加油啦!都是这么走过来滴~坚持就会胜利

唉,我走的太慢了。现在背镇魂呢。你知道镇魂能覆盖多少考试词汇题吗?90%?
作者: 一粒黄豆。    时间: 2013-5-9 15:34
童颜公主 发表于 2013-5-6 11:41
唉,我走的太慢了。现在背镇魂呢。你知道镇魂能覆盖多少考试词汇题吗?90%? ...

没统计过,感觉很多!背吧~ 没错滴
作者: 童颜公主    时间: 2013-5-9 22:41
一粒黄豆。 发表于 2013-5-9 15:34
没统计过,感觉很多!背吧~ 没错滴

噢!好!感觉很多就好!我现在愁死听力了,一直都处在多听一遍就错的少多了这种局面,真担心考试前还不能上一个台阶。
作者: 一粒黄豆。    时间: 2013-5-11 20:12
昨天tpo23 阅读错4 听力错4,本以为tpo24能百尺竿头更进一步的。。。
今天淌着大鼻涕做了tpo24,感觉很难,做的快要做不下去了。。。 结果果然很惨 阅读错10,听力错8, 阅读错的比较平均,每篇都3-4个。听力第一个section特别难,错了5个,第二个section错3个。
当时就觉得完了。。还有一礼拜,后悔之前把重心全放在写作和口语上了。
更惊讶的是,经过一年学习,和gmat的阅读磨练,阅读居然没有进步,反而退步了?
又或者说看得懂阅读和做得对题目其实是两码事?

看来要好好研究一下错题,研究一下做题技巧

后来私信了无老师,他叫我吧tpo20-26做两遍。
算上16号,我还有5天时间。明天把24再做一遍!!!

虽然觉得dream score离自己越来越远了。。。但是我不会放弃的。 就算达不到,能离得更近也是好的。
加油吧,感冒也快点好。

刚把爹!!!!
作者: 一粒黄豆。    时间: 2013-5-12 17:49
今天一直头很晕,把tpo24又做一遍,阅读错5,听力错3.看来不是tpo难度问题,是我自己做题问题。
下午一遍听课一遍睡了两觉,清醒多了~~ 希望今晚早点睡了,明天起来精神大好! 我才能投入战斗啊!!

晚上写两篇作文,然后把剩下的口语jj写了,就差不多了。如果时间还有多,再把今天的听力听几遍~

作者: 一粒黄豆。    时间: 2013-5-17 22:31
明天就要去考试了~ 今天下午去踩了下点 电脑好破哦。。。

先不管能考多少了,反正肯定比第一次高就对了。

dream score当然是110,至于万一考个105左右的尴尬分数,到时候再纠结怎么办吧。。。。也可能带着我的710 和100+ 去报个吊丝学校

anyway, everything is possible~

加油就是了~分数的事情,考完再担心

明天专注做题就行!

作者: 一粒黄豆。    时间: 2013-5-17 22:59
给自己一点tips:
阅读:不要想题目作对做错,专注于读懂文章。读懂is everything,时间不要担心,正常速度读,关键句子反复读,14道题中有2-3道花时间纠结,是正常的,时间来得及。
听力:进入状态要快,purpose和main idea必须抓住。其他的注意因果,转折,举例,比喻,定义的解释,detail方面主要是features,事物发展过程的顺序,人物方面注意attitude和imply。 记和听,听是第一位,记只是帮助结构理解和detail记忆,关键词就够。
口语:语速放慢,句子之间要有逻辑关系,用linkers来建立关系。句型用although,because,if then,while等等。少讲and! um和well都可以~ 34看阅读内容的时候就想好阅读怎么一句话概括。 30秒准备时不要去考虑阅读内容,一定要把时间花在听力内容梳理上。 不用把所有detail都复述出来,2-3句概括就行。
作文:小作文在前面读注意的时候,写模板。 阅读的时候把关键词填进模板。 听力时把对应内容记在模板相应位置。 然后狂打字!  大作文看完题目先快速展开三点,可以是三正也可以是二正一负。 每点下面有起码2-3句论述,必须有例子,细节展开。 提纲列完先打首位两段,然后把中间body每段首句按照提纲观点打好,要观点明确!  然后开始展开,狂打。不要纠结句子什么的,先打。 打完剩时间再通读,修改。  一定要狂打!!!

然后? 然后就坐公交回家潇洒去吧
作者: 一粒黄豆。    时间: 2013-5-18 23:03
考完了 桌面便签铺满了。。。收拾到这里来
专注toefl才有前途!
不在平时关注选校申请这类东西。
定专门一天来关注。
虽然选校有很多工作要做,申请也很麻烦,虽然GT只是第一步,只是一部分。
但没有GT谈不了其他。
静心考T。其他都先不谈。
作者: 一粒黄豆。    时间: 2013-5-18 23:04
阅读问题:单词,细节
infer和作用题:分清哪些是topic sentence,哪些是supporting detail,哪些是supporting example。
比如ts1,sd1支持ts1,se支持sd1,那么选项中se的作用肯定是朝着ts1或者sd1的方向的。无关的直接排除。
细节题:不要漏掉任何词,比如文章讲的是13c,题目问before 13c,这个时候before这个词就很重要。
注意文章的态度,比如整段都讲不好。那猜某个不认识的词,就往不好的方面猜。

对待托福阅读不能大意,还是要小心地揣摩他的attitude,position,还有不同句子的作用。在这个基础上,还要把握细节,要非常小心。一点都不比gmat简单!!

听力问题:细节,尤其是过程类的;另外在听力开始时进入状态慢,没有作战意识。其实开头都是点明主旨的,必考。
另外对于题材新的听力,不熟悉,也是一个问题,比如tpo23最后一篇。

speaking sample
1 学会叙述事件,用例子来support
2 同上
4 p61,63
5 p70,71
6 p77,79

3456学会高度概括! 在口语中也多用不同的句型,尝试说长一点的句子! 总是简单的主谓宾感觉很低级啊摔!

阅读的细节题要准确,不能马马虎虎对就可以了,马马虎虎很可能是错的!偷换概念之类的经常出现。

读东西走神,最根本的原因就是你没有兴趣。其实呢,你可以把阅读看成你以后的课本,听力当成你在上课。这样想了之后,我觉得你的态度会有转变,记笔记时就会想着,作为一个学生,我应该怎么把握重点。阅读时,就会知道,我要掌握一个知识点,应该精读文章的哪些部分

如果还有下次:
tpo所有听力来一遍,kalplan听力来一遍
口语真经3来一遍,第一题素材准备
阅读单词,阅读tpo来一遍
作文:所有类型搜集例子,小姨宝典背出来

作者: 童颜公主    时间: 2013-5-19 11:10
一粒黄豆。 发表于 2013-5-18 23:03
考完了 桌面便签铺满了。。。收拾到这里来
专注toefl才有前途!
不在平时关注选校申请这类东西。

是啊,我连这第一步都没有走下来,就老想后面的事,真是不稳重。
作者: 一粒黄豆。    时间: 2013-5-21 08:45
昨天去德勤club面试,碰到一个浙大大二的,口语真顺溜!口语塔玛德真的很重要啊!旁边有俩男生全厂愣是没说几句话,就因为口语无法表达啊!听他们很痛苦的蹦出几个单词,觉得这个世界太残酷了。。。
作者: tiantianmm    时间: 2013-5-21 10:00
**报名,扣扣捌肆伍贰贰零零贰捌
作者: 一粒黄豆。    时间: 2013-5-24 22:01
我觉得她们都太消极,前路迷雾重重,但是我们还是可以快乐地走下去~
扎堆抱怨不好,给大家都带去负能量,下次不这样了,专心做自己的school research吧~
可能是我太naive,可是就是这份naive给我乐观,让我无法被打倒。
success is less important than positive attitude for one's life
作者: 一粒黄豆。    时间: 2013-5-24 22:59
之前自己也挺迷信gmat分数的,以为得gmat得永生了。以为高分就高枕无忧了。随着school research的进行,越来越觉得g只是package里的一小块。虽然680-720都是挺平庸的分数。但是不至于阻挡申请的脚步。但是实习和toefl就不一样了。toefl上110才是硬道理。实习也必须丰富。
群里对g的热情蛮让人佩服的,也蛮让我不解的。。不知道把740刷到760/770有什么意义。先不说一千好几的钱,就这些时间,都完全可以做一些更有意义的事。
gmat终归是一种能力测试,你有多少能力就是多少了,刷到那个分数除了给你的申请增一点色,貌似没有更长远的作用了。
toefl就不一样了,它的确为你打下了语言基础,为你将来在北美学习工作提供了必要条件。
实习也是,让你更清楚该做什么,有一个broader view。
所以虽然当初很不甘心g这个分数,现在还是不太想刷了。 真心体会不到有什么意义。
作者: 一粒黄豆。    时间: 2013-5-25 09:57
今天稍微了解了一下大四转美本。。貌似不太可能。。。或者说很艰难吧。
换个角度想,转美本的目的是获得更大的竞争优势,在申master方面。
但是达到这个目的,有很多途径。或许我应该衡量一下投入产出比。
转美本的精力如果放到找实习,参加活动,或者刷高gt上,或许产出结果也不会比转美本差。

很多时候很想做一件事,不能只看到gross profit,还要考虑cost问题~
所以就脚踏实地去做那些要做的事吧。美本这个机会我是错过了,但还有其他机会我可以抓住!

就像我签名里说的一样,不要等待perfect condition,要在less perfect情况下努力追求!刚把爹!!!
作者: hyjxp    时间: 2013-5-26 19:32
一粒黄豆。 发表于 2013-5-25 09:57
今天稍微了解了一下大四转美本。。貌似不太可能。。。或者说很艰难吧。
换个角度想,转美本的目的是获得更 ...

好佩服楼主啊!牛人无处不在。。。。。。。。。。。。。。加油!!!
作者: 一粒黄豆。    时间: 2013-5-26 21:57
hyjxp 发表于 2013-5-26 19:32
好佩服楼主啊!牛人无处不在。。。。。。。。。。。。。。加油!!! ...

加油~
作者: 一粒黄豆。    时间: 2013-5-30 20:43
搬啦
搬啦
搬啦
搬啦

作者: 一粒黄豆。    时间: 2013-5-30 20:47
搬啦
搬啦
搬啦
搬啦

作者: 一粒黄豆。    时间: 2013-5-30 20:49
搬啦
搬啦
搬啦
搬啦
搬啦

作者: 一粒黄豆。    时间: 2013-5-30 20:56
搬啦
搬啦
搬啦
搬啦
搬啦

作者: 一粒黄豆。    时间: 2013-5-30 21:09
这个有点匿害。。。http://pan.baidu.com/share/link?shareid=407566&uk=1731704294  贴在这里 省的回头又忘记下载了
作者: 一粒黄豆。    时间: 2013-5-31 09:17
出分了 29 28 24 27 =108 虽然没能达到自己的dream score,但是没关系,这个分数我已经挺满意的了~ 至少说明了我的说和写还有很大问题,想要在北美混的好,接下来我得自己练说和写了! fighting!

这个帖子完结了,接下来又要开始搞g了~
作者: 杨颐杋    时间: 2013-6-6 07:15
一粒黄豆。 发表于 2013-5-31 09:17
出分了 29 28 24 27 =108 虽然没能达到自己的dream score,但是没关系,这个分数我已经挺满意的了~ 至少说 ...

哇~ 向你学习~太厉害了~
作者: 一粒黄豆。    时间: 2018-7-23 11:53

------------------------------------THE FIRST POST--------------------------------------------

This is the very first post that kicks off my long journey. And if the future-me look back, this might be so funny as my writing probably suck. However, I believe this is also gonna be a great start. I recently feel so depressed because I don't like my job. I feel that my daily work is not value-adding, and I feel drained every day after work. I thought about giving up my current job and moving into another completely different field that 'suits' me well. I read some books about career and even phycology for help because I was so depressed and need help desperately. But later I realized that there might not be a 'perfect' job that will make me feel just happy. And considering my investments that I already made on time and money, instead of giving up all that I have, which I actually put so much efforts to get, I should really try finding the part in my current job that I like, that energizes me, that inspires me and that allows me to do what I'm good at. So after looking back at works that I've done, I found that I like analyzing problems, building models/templates and presenting my thoughts/opinions through a presentation, memo, documentation and etc. And let's be honest, people who excel at analyzing problems, building models and presenting their ideas successfully are gonna be soooo successful because these are all very valuable skills. So, I'm pretty sure that I'm on the right track - that things I like doing (and now good at or will be good at) will eventually lead me to a successful career and better life. My plan to fix the problem that I have now - I don't like my job - is work on things I like more. For example, I like analyzing problems. Then volunteer when there is a problem and people need help, be proactive, take initiatives and over time, people will come to me when there is a problem that needs good analysis skills and I will build my personal brand and reputation and get more experiences and be better at analyzing. The same idea for 'building models/templates', I just need to seize opportunities at work. However, there is actually one thing that I can practice and get better at during my after-work time, writing. Writing is so important as I move towards a senior position in Tech market. There are so many new regulations coming up for this industry and we as auditors are required to write memos on new rules and write documentation in situations such as after walking through a business process with clients, finding a problem/exception, or just merely explaining something.
The goal of business writing is to convey points/logics to reviewers, often times managers and senior managers, in the most effective and efficient way. I'm gonna use Wall street journal or The Economist as study materials.

I hope you have also learned something or will learn something if you are reading this post. I appreciate any feedback and please feel free to ask any questions about study abroad and job searching or anything.

2018/7/22

Chen in Boston, MA

作者: 一粒黄豆。    时间: 2018-7-24 03:03
----------------------
今日份WSJ
----------------------Fifteen years after the Concorde last flew, supersonic air travel is back in the aerospace industry’s sights. 【back in sb. sights-重回视野】

Investors, plane makers and equipment suppliers are pushing to revive superfast airliners and business jets. The big questions: Will regulators go along, and will passengers be willing to pay? The Concorde cut the time to fly from New York to London or Paris to about 3½ hours, about half today’s typical journey. But it was an economic failure. 【push to revive -努力使...重生e.g. The Congress push to pass the xx Bill.】【go along-同意 e.g. I'm not sure if he will go along with this.】

The latest efforts, highlighted by exhibits and discussions at the international air show here, reflect support from major aerospace companies, buttressed by promising research into reducing the sonic boom that occurs when planes exceed the speed of sound. 【highlighted by sth-被高亮】【buttressed by sth.被支持】【promising research有前景有希望的研究】

Backers include Boeing Co. BA -0.18%, Lockheed Martin Corp. LMT -1.26%and closely held Colorado startup Boom Technology Inc., which aims to start flying a reduced-size demonstration craft late next year. An initial goal for Boom’s proposed airliner is to slash the time for transcontinental trips by more than half. Round trips between the U.S. West Coast and Asia could be completed within the same day, for business travelers—the plush cabins would offer only premium seats—in a real hurry.

“This was the future we were all promised,” said Steven Isakowitz, president of Aerospace Corp., a nonprofit think tank for the Pentagon. In an interview earlier this month he cited both technical advances and “extremely interesting” NASA research into reducing the shock wave and noise. 【we were promised 我们被承诺. e.g. We were promised to have flying cars by 2020.】

--------------------------------

alright... this didn't really work, i mean, copy and paste WSJ here might not be legally allowed as this is the fresh new article today and people has to pay to subscribe in order to read it. In addition to that, I've been wasting a lot of time on copying and pasting and adding explanation after the paragraph. It's not sustainable if my work schedule gets busier and I barely have time to read. So, i'm not gonna keep doing this. I might need to read on my Kindle and just highlight whatever catches my eyes and I might later export them into a single file and post it here. Sounds like a good idea.

作者: 一粒黄豆。    时间: 2018-7-25 11:27
-------------------------------
今日份阅读 7/24/2018
今天采取 ‘截取我认为精彩句子’的方法,然后在最后一句话点出新闻主旨,算是补充一点行业见识。
------------------------------
第一篇:
Wall Street money managers are having problems hanging onto insurance companies as customers. [hang onto sth = to retain sth]
Six other insurers beyond AIG and MetLife also reduced their holdings in 2017,... [beyong sth= other than xxx]
However, the hedge fund industry is in no danger of running out of customers,...[in danger of]
..., the funds have struggled to do better than low-cost, passive investment products that track indexes such as the S& 500 [struggle to do sth= have difficulty doing sth]
It said in 2016 it would cut the portfolio in half. [cut sth in half= decrease sth by half]
AIG's net investment income during the first quarter dropped 27.3% as compared to the same period a year earlier. [the same period a year earlier=去年同期]

summary:这篇文章主要讲了美国保险业公司在16,17年都逐渐减少了在对冲基金的投资。18年的第一季度也在持续减少。

第二篇:
One of the first issues Mike Manley will likely have to address as Fiat Chrysler Automobiles NV's new chief executive is a lingering problem from his old job: a slow-moving redesign of the Ram 1500 truck. [one of the first issues xxx will likely have to address is xxx] [lingering problem=problem that has existed for a while] [slow-moving]
Manufacturing delays have hobbled the launch of ... [hobble=to hamper or restrict]
Sales of Ram trucks and Jeep SUVs are critical to Fiat Chrysler, accounting for what UBS estimates is 80% of the company's profits. [sth is critical to sb] [sth account for 80% of sth]
The success of those two brands is a big part of Fiat Chrysler's revival and likely helped vault Mr. Manley, who most recently led Jeep and Ram, into the job of CEO. [revival=restoration to life] [vault sb into sth=To attain some position as if by leaping suddenly or vigorously: With the sale of the company, the founders vaulted intoa position of wealth.]
Mr. Manley must grapple with several changes roiling the global auto industry, such as a shift toward electric and self-driving technologies, as well as heightened tensions between the U.S. and its major trading partners over tariffs.  [grapple with=fight] [roiling=disturbing] [shift toward sth] [heightened tensions between sb and sb=加剧的紧张局势:heightened tensions between country x and country y over pandas]
Fiat Chrysler also has been dogged by a series of recalls and ... [dogged by=If you are dogged by something, you are followed or pursued or accompanied relentlessly, persistently, by something, and usually the something is undesired. 中文解释就是:阴魂不散]
The Ram competes against Ford Motor Co. and General Motors Co. in a highly profitable full-size pickup segment, which has seen average selling prices far outstrip other categories, surging nearly 35% since 2010 to more than $43,000. [compete against sb in a highly profitable segment 好句,工作中介绍客户背景可以用这句] [outsrip=surpass] [surge 30%=increase by 30%]
Those delays appear to be weighing on Fiat Chrysler's truck sales. [weigh on=to cause problem for someone or something]
Several analysts say those issues carried over into the second quarter...[issues carried over into the second quarter: the accounting estimate errors carried over into current year financial statements]
Those continuing issues with the new Ram are a blemish on what should be an otherwise healthy earnings report card. [should be an otherwise healthy earnings=should be an healthy earning if it's not because of it]
...buyers are expecting more from their truck, raising the demand for comfort, convenience and entertainment features. [demand for sth]

summary: Fiat Chrysler 新CEO上任伊始就遭遇公司危机:新产品推出滞后,第一季度利润不及华尔街预期;第一季度的这些问题将会持续影响第二季度。

----------------------
今日阅读完毕,谢谢观看。

作者: mmimiyami    时间: 2018-7-25 20:57
一粒黄豆。 发表于 2018-7-25 11:27
-------------------------------
今日份阅读 7/24/2018
今天采取 ‘截取我认为精彩句子’的方法,然后在最 ...

你好棒!好友秀呀~
作者: 一粒黄豆。    时间: 2018-7-27 09:49
---------------------------------
今日份阅读来自WSJ---------------------------------
Amazon.com Inc.'s profit topped $2 billion for the first time, powered by the company's newer services businesses that are ushering the online retail giant into an era of swelling profitability.

No longer is Amazon known for suffering losses or producing razor-thin income by plowing every dollar it makes back into investments. [razor-thin=extremely thin] [plow back=To reinvest a company's earnings into its operations.]
Amazon's blockbuster quarter contrasted with that of Facebook Inc., which late Wednesday signaled that its growth was slowing, sending its stock plunging 19% on Thursday.  [blockbuster=[size=1.1em]an unusually successful hit with widespread popularity and huge sales (especially a movie or play or recording or novel)] [plunging=falling steeply]
None of that is slowing Amazon, though its quarterly revenue of $52.89 billion did underwhelm Wall Street, coming in a bit below estimates even if up 39%. [underwhelm=fail to impress]
Amazon reported $4.31 billion in revenue from brick-and-mortar stores. [brick-and-mortar=physical store]

Today is probably the darkest day ever since I joined the company. People around me got tickets for Red Sox, all of them pretending that I wasn't there while I sit right in the middle of them yet nobody said anything. Maybe the senior manager doesn't know me, maybe one of then wanted to speak up for me but don't want to be against the senior manager, or maybe they just assumed that I don't watch red sox since I'm an Asian lady, or they just ignore me like I was invisible. I was so upset, angry and sad, yet nobody said anything to me. I had to tell myself that after all, they are just my colleague. Maybe they are racist, maybe they are mean, maybe they are cold-blood and careless. But after all, those are just people who work with me, they don't live with me, and they don't hang out with me. Instead of asking myself what did I do wrong, or focusing on what did they do or not do to hurt me, I should get closer to people who respect, care, value and support minorities. There are good people and bad people, I can't change bad ones, but I can choose to get closer to good ones. Focus on good people, focus on good things, focus my strengths and build my future upon that.

作者: 一粒黄豆。    时间: 2018-7-27 09:57
mmimiyami 发表于 2018-7-25 20:57
你好棒!好友秀呀~

哈哈谢谢
作者: mmimiyami    时间: 2018-7-28 16:47
一粒黄豆。 发表于 2018-7-27 09:49
---------------------------------
今日份阅读来自WSJ---------------------------------
Amazon.com Inc. ...

加油~
作者: 一粒黄豆。    时间: 2018-7-29 10:01
今天了解到一个微信号叫‘乱码与英文’,是一个英文老师出于自己爱读‘the economist’的习惯做的一个公众号,里面有很多关于‘如何阅读经济学人’的干货。今天读了几篇文章,感觉如果能像这个英文老师一样有一个跟自己主业相关,但又不仅限于主业范围的爱好是多么的幸福啊。很想引用几段但是不想侵犯版权,有兴趣的自己去关注吧哈哈。读了一周wsj,感觉事实居多,作为英语阅读练习的话是不错的,但是想要提取信息的话,基本上浏览就够了,没有精读的价值。打算接下来读经济学人,里面有很多带有个人观点的文章,更有趣一点。
By the way, I talked to my manager yesterday about what happened the day before about the 'red sox tickets'. He was really apologetic about it and explained that it was by no means to exclude me. The senior manager who distributed tickets just wanted to give out extra tickets and he chose people he knew because people actually prefer not to go, so it's kinda a pressure to give tickets to people he doesn't know. And other colleagues were terrified because they had to go, and didn't think it as an event that they should be inviting others. [Well, but I do know that NP wanted to go according to his conversation with DK, and by the fact that he told HO about the game] He said that's still not an excuse to make me feel so upset and he's glad that I told him. I also told him that minorities did not get as many opportunities as Americans did in JH team. I gave him a lot of examples, among which are something that happened to me. He was kinda shocked that I, as a high performer, didn't get those opportunities as he thought I would. He told me that Partners and Senior managers had been discussing with him about this but he had no idea how bad this is until I told him. After the talk, he invited me and another colleague to get drinks at a bar. We had a great afternoon, knowing each other better. I'm glad that I spoke up for myself and even I failed to not cry - I would cry every time when I had a difficult conversation with people, which is really awkward, however, I still have to do it even if I would cry in front of people; some conversation just need to take place no matter how. I'm proud of myself for speaking up for minorities, and I hope what I did will somewhat help people in the future and make our firm a better place to work. I know this is not gonna change thing overnight. There will still be intentional or unintentional discrimination over minorities - I guess that just runs in people's blood unless be corrected by education. But at least now I know that I need to speak up when I am not happy about things. Remeber: Crying baby gets the milk!

作者: mmimiyami    时间: 2018-7-30 22:42
一粒黄豆。 发表于 2018-7-29 10:01
今天了解到一个微信号叫‘乱码与英文’,是一个英文老师出于自己爱读‘the economist’的习惯做的一个公众 ...

同意!               
作者: 一粒黄豆。    时间: 2018-8-9 09:24
Today's big news: Elon Musk announced on Twitter that Tesla would like to go Private, which drove the stock price up crazy, and later got probed by SEC.

China is putting Tariffs on $16 billion worth of US good. (I have to say, good job!)

Beijing warned it would match the Trump administration step for step should it move ahead with new tariffs on Chinese imports, as trade data showed the country is shoring up its economy for a long trade conflict with the U.S. [shore up=support]

Its comments came as government data showed imports of resources including coal, crude oil, and iron ore surged in July, driven by infrastructure projects such as rail construction that Beijing is encouraging to wall off the economy from the trade fight. [wall sth off=to separate something with a wall]

Officials at the SEC want to know whether Mr. Musk had a factual basis for tweeting Tuesday that the going-private transaction was all but certain, with only a shareholder vote needed to pull it off, the people said. [all but certain=almost certain]

作者: 一粒黄豆。    时间: 2018-8-19 10:47
Today's The Economist reading----------------------------------
But the pathologies of the Bay Area may not be far behind. [pathology=the science of the causes and effects of diseases,]
The boom shows little sign of abating, meaning that Seattle has only a few years before it contracts a case of full-blown San Francisco. [abate=decrease]
Long a placid, drizzly company town, the place is booming. [what does 'long' mean here?]
Entrepreneurs are flocking there, repelled by the obscene costs of San Francisco. [flock=come together as a cluster; repel=cause something to leave]
Rents have shot up and homelessness is common. [shot up=increase quickly]
The Emerald City would be turned into a gilded fortress. [gilded=something gilded looks like gold; fortress=fort]
The overall costs to society are staggering. [stagger=[size=1.1em]astound or overwhelm, as with shoc]
Its members are keen on public housing but suspicious of unfettered private building, which they see as a handout to developers.[keen=intense or sharp; unfettered=unbound]
They can lead to more mixed districts and placate left-wing critics. [placate=gain the goodwill of]
Developers complain that these fees suffocate all but the most lucrative projects. [suffocate=[size=1.1em]deprive of oxygen]
[size=1.1em]halt construction=stop construction
[size=1.1em]displacement of poorer residens= to move something from its natural environment
tuck tail=夹起尾巴
repeal the tax= take tax law back
progressive=改革派
suburbia=watertown is suburbia of boston
Upsetting the entrenched power structure of cities is an exasperating, thankless task. [entrenched=established firmly; exasperate=annoy]

作者: alice8513    时间: 2018-8-28 16:30
哇!!好棒的帖子 楼主一定要坚持下去~能在美国找到四大的工作真的超级棒 羡慕楼主!
作者: 一粒黄豆。    时间: 2018-9-9 09:59
boycott: 抵制
e.g. Didi suspended its carpooling service, for which the driver in question worked, but that did not stop the calls on Chinese social media for a boycott of the firm.

setback: 倒退
e.g. Its investment is a boost to Uber's self-driving project, which suffered a setback after a fatal collision involving a pedestrian and one of its cars in March.

outlaw: make something illegal
e.g. Missouri became the first state in America to outlaw the description of food products as "meat" unless they are made from animal flesh.

欢迎光临 ChaseDream (https://forum.chasedream.com/) Powered by Discuz! X3.3