标题: 【Native Speaker每日综合训练—41系列】【41-07】经管 [打印本页]

作者: zxppx    时间: 2014-9-5 23:13
标题: 【Native Speaker每日综合训练—41系列】【41-07】经管
内容:ZXPPX 编辑:ZXPPX

Stay tuned to our latest post! Follow us here---> http://weibo.com/u/3476904471

Part I: Speaker

For $15-An-Hour Pay

Source: NPR
http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/2014/09/04/345825903/across-the-country-fast-food-workers-rally-for-15-an-hour-pay

[Rephrase 1, 2:17]

Part II: Speed

US Employers Add 142K Jobs, Fewest in 8 Months
BY Christopher S. Rugaber  | 5 September 2014

[Time 2]

(WASHINGTON) — U.S. employers added just 142,000 jobs in August, snapping a six-month streak of hiring above 200,000 and posting the smallest gain in eight months.
The Labor Department says the unemployment rate fell to 6.1 percent from 6.2 percent. But the rate dropped because fewer people were working or seeking jobs.
Employers also added 28,000 fewer jobs in June and July than the government had previously estimated.
August’s job gains were far below the average monthly increase of 212,000 in the past 12 months. The slowdown was unexpected after most recent economic data suggested that the economy is growing at a healthy pace.
Still, wage gains have been sluggish since the Great Recession ended in 2009, and consumers remain cautious. Consumer spending dipped in July, the first decline since January.

[130 words]
Source: newswatch
http://time.com/business/

Job growth slows; Gap tanks; Microsoft unveils 'selfie cam'
BY Yahoo Finance | 5 September 2014

[Time 3]

Job growth slowed significantly in August, according to the Labor Department’s latest employment report released Friday morning. 142,000 jobs were created last month. That is well below the average estimate of 230,000 economists were expecting.
The unemployment rate ticked down to 6.1%, in line with expectations. The government also revised the number of jobs added in June and July. June job creation was revised down to 267,000 from 298,000. July was revised slightly higher to 212,000 from 209,000.
Wage growth improved with average hourly wages ticking up 0.2% to $24.53. In the past year, average wages are up just 2.1%
However, a new report from the Federal Reserve reveals that the income gap widened between 2010 and 2013. The top 10% of earners were the only group to see an increase in median income, up 2% to $223,000. Meanwhile, the middle 20% saw incomes fall 6% to $48,700.
Fed Chair Janet Yellen has acknowledged the widening income gap, but also said there's little the Fed can do about the underlying factors.

[171 words]

[Time 4]

Stocks to watch

Investors are going crazy for shares of El Pollo Loco (LOCO) after the restaurant chain reported revenue beat estimates, rising 6% from a year ago. Strong sales helped earnings match expectations. The California-based food chain also plans to open more than a dozen new stores before the end of the year.
A pair of clothing retailers were under pressure in pre-market trading. Michael Kors (KORS) was lower after the company's founding investors, Hong Kong private equity firm Sportswear Holdings said it is set to sell its remaining 5.7% stake in Kors in a secondary offering. Silas Chou and Lawrence Stroll, who control Sportswear Holdings will sell their remaining stakes in the luxury retailer and will resign from the company's board. The Financial Times reports that the billionaire investors have been slowly selling their shares in Michael Kors since the IPO.
Elsewhere in the retail space, Gap (GPS) reported a bigger-than-expected decline in same-store sales in August due to weak demand in its namesake and Banana Republic stores. However, its low-priced Old Navy chain posted a 2% rise in same-stores sales last month.
And Apple (AAPL) has announced new security measures for iCloud customers after celebrity accounts were hacked. The new procedures will include email alerts if an account password is changed and a two-step verification process which will send a code to a user's phone when a password is entered, according to an interview Apple CEO Tim Cook gave to the Wall Street Journal.
Apple has had a tough week, with shares taking a hit on news of the hacking, and new competition ahead of next week's announcement on new products. Samsung introduced its new smartphones to positive reviews. Motorola introduced a smart watch and Microsoft (MSFT) has just unveiled its new “selfie phone,” the Lumia 730.

[300 words]
Source: finance.yahoo
http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/hot-stock-minute/jobs-report--gap-tanks--microsoft-unveils--selfie-cam-120230004.html

10 Social Media Blunders That Cost a Millennial a Job — or Worse
BY Susie Poppick | 5 September, 2014

[Time 5]

A generation that lives its life on Facebook and Twitter learns the hard way that the bar for what can get you fired is surprisingly low.

Tweet Yourself to a New Job
As managers grow savvier (and Facebook privacy settings grow meaningless) it is increasingly foolish to assume that those years-old photos of you double-fisting shots won’t come back to haunt you—and maybe even wreak havoc on your career. A whopping 73% of recruiters check out social media profiles of prospective hires.
“Social media is now so woven into the fabric of young people’s lives that they forget not everything is suitable to put out there,” says former hiring manager Alison Green, who runs askamanager.org. “People are looking.”
So remember your boss, work colleagues, and hiring managers can see your most polarizing tweets, even if they aren’t following you. And even if your public Facebook profile looks like Fort Knox, anyone can see images you’re tagged in by using graph search. Typing “photos of person’s name” into the search window reveals hidden pictures. Test it out to see how creepy it is.
Also note that a social media mistake can ruin your shot at a job without you ever knowing. Green, for example, never told a certain oversharing applicant (let’s call him the “masturblogger”: see #2 below) about why he wasn’t hired for a job at her nonprofit. “To people who don’t lock down their accounts because ‘it’s never been a problem,’ I say, you don’t know whether that’s true,” she says.
If you’re not at least a little worried yet, here are 10 real-life mistakes, ranked from least to most egregious, that could cost you your next job—or worse, make you the next viral cautionary tale.

10. Drinking in a photo—even if you’re over 21. Yes, seriously. A teacher in Georgia was asked to resign because of a Facebook photo of her holding wine and a beer.
9. Complaining about your job. A British teen was let go from a marketing gig after colleagues saw a Facebook post in which she described her job shredding paper as “dull,” even though she didn’t mention the name of the company.
8. Posting while you’re supposed to be working. A city clerk in California’s Bay area was asked to resign this year for allegedly tweeting during council meetings when she was supposed to be taking down meeting minutes. In her resignation letter, she described the job as a “mind-numbingly inane experience I would not wish on anyone.”

[420 words]

[Time 6]

7. Making fun of your boss / team. An EMS employee was booted for badmouthing her boss on Facebook (though she ended up with the National Labor Relations Board on her side), and a Pittsburgh Pirates mascot, whose work included racing on the field in a pierogi costume, was briefly fired for a post criticizing the contract extensions of two players—though he was back in his costume a week later.
6. Making fun of clients or donors. While working at a nonprofit, Green nearly fired an employee after the young woman snarkily tweeted a photo of a donation card on which a donor had written eccentric comments. Not only was it in bad taste, says Green, but it revealed the donor’s name. After deleting the tweet (and getting an earful about judgment and boundaries), the woman kept her job.
5. Talking smack about a job before you’ve even accepted it. Technically, the then-22-year-old in question says she had already turned down an internship at Cisco before sending out a tweet saying she’d have to weigh a “fatty paycheck” against “hating the work,” but her subsequent infamy serves as a lesson to other prospective hires.
4. Blowing your own cover. A bank intern who asked to skip work because “something came up at home” became a victim of internet shaming after his boss saw a Facebook photo of him holding a beer, dressed (more or less) like Tinkerbell at what appeared to be a Halloween party. The photo, plus screenshots of his supervisor’s response— “hope everything is ok in New York. (cool wand)” —went viral, though it turns out he was never actually fired.
3. Revealing company secrets. Back in 2011, it was widely reported that an extra on Fox’s award-winning show “Glee” was fired after tweeting spoilers for an upcoming episode. In tweets that are still visible on his feed, a series co-creator told her, “Hope you’re qualified to do something besides work in entertainment” and “Who are you to spoil something talented people have spent months to create?” But according to the extra herself, Nicole Crowther, she hadn’t actually worked on the show that season and the spoilers were just speculation—not inside information. That didn’t stop her story from going viral, complete with online harassment: “I received physical threats of violence, and death threats through social media,” Crowther told MONEY.
2. Sexual oversharing. Green once interviewed a young man whose resume included a link to a private blog—which described personal details about chronic masturbation. “I suspect he’d left that link on there by accident, but it demonstrated very poor judgment,” says Green. Needless to say, he did not get the job.
1. Posting something embarrassing on the corporate Twitter feed. A contracted social media strategist was canned after accidentally posting a tweet on Chrysler’s company feed, instead of his personal feed, insulting local drivers: “I find it ironic that Detroit is known as the #motorcity and yet no one here knows how to f****** drive.” Given the circumstances, Chrysler’s response was surprisingly sanguine.

[507 words]
Source: time
http://time.com/money/3019899/10-facebook-twitter-mistakes-lost-job-millennials-viral/

Part III: Obstacle

FranchisePlayers: After 9/11, This Franchisee Sold Everything to Reboot His CareerBY KateTaylor | 5 September, 2014

[Paraphrase 7]

Franchise Players is Entrepreneur’s Q&A interviewcolumn that puts the spotlight on franchisees. If you're a franchisee withadvice and tips to share, email ktaylor@entrepreneur.com.

For Andrew Slattery, the terrorist attacks on September11, 2001, were a wakeup call. At the time, Slattery was a salesman for aplastics company and was traveling often. It took him days to get home to hisfamily after the attacks, and it was then that he decided it was time to takehis career into his own hands.

Slattery – who had no previous experience in theautomotive industry – decided to become a Valvoline Instant Oil Changefranchisee. Today, he owns 28 locations, and plans to keep on growing.

Name: AndrewSlattery

Franchise owned:
I own 28 locations of a Valvoline Instant Oil Changefranchise between North and South Carolina. My centers are located in citiessuch as Charlotte, Raleigh, Ashville, Wilmington, Winston Salem, and Greenville–Spartanburg.

How long have you owned a franchise?
I purchased my first Valvoline Instant Oil Change 12years ago. It was an established location but the owner had passed away. Imoved across the country from California to North Carolina to purchase thebusiness from his widow.

Related: Franchise Players: These Panera BreadFranchisees Now Have 34 Locations

Why franchising?
Since I had no previous experience owning a business, Idecided buying a franchise was the smartest thing to do. By aligning myselfwith a company such as Valvoline Instant Oil Change, I was able to get theguidance I needed. I was never left to solve problems on my own. I was alwaysable to depend on corporate for franchisee support. Valvoline Instant OilChange is rare in that regard.

What were you doing before you became a franchise owner?
I am a former salesman for a plastics company based inCalifornia. The terrorist attacks of September 11, 2001, were a wakeup call forme. My sales job required me to travel. As I struggled to get home to my familyin the days following the attacks, I realized I needed to take my fate andfortune into my own hands. It was then I started looking into franchising andwhat ultimately led me to buy into Valvoline Instant Oil Change.

Why did you choose this particular franchise?
I really wanted to find something with a good trackrecord and with a good outlook for the future. I researched various franchiseopportunities online and kept coming back to Valvoline Instant Oil Change.
You might think my interest in the company was connectedto some deep seeded passion for cars. It wasn’t. I even blew the motor in myfirst car because I didn’t know I had to check or change the oil. I didn’t knowa thing about cars at first. What I do know is a good business model when I seeone – and I saw that in Valvoline Instant Oil Change.

How much would you estimate you spent before you wereofficially open for business?
It really depends on the scope of your initial investmentand your market.  Valvoline Instant OilChange required me to have around $300,000 liquid assets to become afranchisee. I purchased the business for $180,000. I paid a $30,000 franchisefee to Valvoline Instant Oil Change.

Where did you get most of your advice/do most of yourresearch?
I did my research about franchising on the internet. OnceI zeroed in on Valvoline Instant Oil Change, I picked up the phone and calledthe franchising division. I didn’t have an appointment. It was a spur of themoment call. The franchising team took my call seriously and answered all myquestions. I followed that phone call up with a trip to Lexington, Kentucky tothe company headquarters. The visit solidified my interest in the franchise.
Related: Franchise Players: How Six-Time UkrainianBallroom Dance Champs Became Fred Astaire Dance Studio Franchisees

What were the most unexpected challenges of opening yourfranchise?
I don’t think I understood the hours one needs to putinto a new business to make it successful. There is also a lot of paperwork involved,whether paying bills or filling out tax forms. It can be overwhelming at first.Luckily, with the support from corporate and my fellow Valvoline Instant OilChange franchisees, I was able to overcome the challenges.

What advice do you have for individuals who want to owntheir own franchise?
Research the franchise well, no matter how big or small.Make sure you get an attorney to do due diligence on the property and thelease. Make sure you have a clear title. Once you buy in, follow the system infront of you. The Valvoline Instant Oil Change franchising model is tried andtrue. Follow the guidelines, the programs, the training and the classes. It isa full program. If you follow everything, you can be very successful.

What’s next for you and your business?
What’s next? Growth. I just completed the purchase of twoexisting quick lube stores and converted them into Valvoline Instant Oil Changecenters. I am working on a new build right now, which will be my 29th location.I hope to open the garage doors in October.
All this upward movement will allow me to add some morejobs. I’m also planning on hiring more people on the support and operationsside.

[894words]
Source: entrepreneur
http://www.entrepreneur.com/article/236982

作者: Cassidy大洁洁    时间: 2014-9-6 06:26
SPEED
time 2 - 00: 01: 10
没有太理解文章。。只知道是 jobs added in August is lower than before
每次看到百分比之类的就晕,其实很好理解,就是阅读的时候总是被干扰了(会不会也是因为我数学差)
生词:snapping, sluggish
知道snap,变成snapping居然没认出来,,Ծ‸Ծ,,
sluggish: slow-moving or inactive

time 3 - 00: 01: 20
果然到百分比就开始凌乱了。。只有一个模糊的感觉
paragraph 1, job added in august is lower than expected
paragraph 2, revised job added in june down, and revised job added in july up
paragraph 3, changes and affects  in different income level (这一段的重点应该是income gap widened吧,我只注意到后面的explain了)
paragraph 4, 力不从心 (应该是fed对widening income gap力不从心)
生词: tick up
tick up: a small increase

time 4 - 00: 01: 54
哦~没有理解,╮(╯▽╰)╭感觉全文都在讲不同公司有哪些变动,但是又不知道具体是什么
发现自己阅读中遇到公司名也会凌乱,这是说明我思维结构不好嘛?
有个问题,看了一下原文才反应过来原来stock to watch和上面是一个文章,这个部分只是想说需要注意那些stock吗(因为他们都有变动)?

time 5 - 00: 01: 56
≖‿≖✧这个部分看懂了,哇咔咔
警告童鞋们妥善使用社交网络,不要以为老板公司不会去看你的空间哟,小心丢掉工作。。
还列出了10个ranked mistakes
10. drinking in a photo
9. complain job
8. posting while working
生词:savvier, haunt, wreak, havoc, egregious, gig, mind-numbingly, inane
savvier: shrewd and knowledgable in the realities of life (查一个词发现解释中的词又不认识,shrewd: having sharp power of judgement)
haunt: be persistently and disturbingly present in (something)
wreak: cause (a large amount of damage or harm)
havoc: widespread destruction
egregious: outstanding bad
gig: a job, especially one that is temporary or that has an uncertain future
mind-numbingly: mind-numbing (adj.), so extreme or intense as to prevent normal thought
inane: silly, stupid. 所以mind-numbingly inane就是说巨傻逼的意思吧,都阻碍了正常思想了。。

time 6 - 00: 03: 35
我是觉得第二条那个young man也真是醉了
有好些词不认识
生词:snarkily, eccentric, smack about, infamy, insult, sanguine
snarkily: 童鞋们帮我解释一下吧,没查到这个词
eccentric: slightly strange
smack about在这里怎么理解
infamy: the state of being well known for some bad quality
insult: speak to or treat with disrespect
sanguine: optimistic

OBSTACLE
00: 05: 06
很好理解,这种Q&A的阅读个人认为很好懂,因为思路非常清晰
生词:due diligence
刚开始把这两个词分开看了
due diligence: (LAW), reasonable steps taken by a person in order to satisfy a legal requirement
作者: cyndichiang    时间: 2014-9-6 07:32
Time2 1'11''
Employers offered 142k jobs,fewest in 8 months.
The unemployment fall since fewer people seek jobs.

TIme3 0'52''
Time4 1'49''
Some data about job market:
fewer job vacants offered by employers/ lightly increased avg income/ widened income gap
Some investors sell their shares slowly since they wait and see the IPO
Microsoft unveiled its new “selfie phone" to compete with Apple.inc and Sumsung inc.

Time5+ TIme6 2'28''
10 mistakes committed in social media will ruin your job,since employers will know your lifestyle,which influence their judges on you

Obstacle: 2'54''
A businessman talked about his experience as a successful franchisee after the 911  attack

作者: 小蘑菇开始打怪    时间: 2014-9-6 09:13
谢谢ppx~~
-------------
speaker:
fast food workers are mainly adults who need to earn money for their children
the pay is low now
at least a living wage

time7:
own business without experience
buy franchise
reason, which, how
challenges of opening franchise
next plan

作者: Ginni    时间: 2014-9-6 09:24
Thank you, ppx~~~~~~~~~~~~`
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
speed:
0'53
0'43
1'20
1'50
2'11

obstacle
3'47
因为经历911想这自己掌握生活--franchisee
Qs about franchisee
作者: cynthia.bai    时间: 2014-9-6 09:27
Time2 130words 1min21
August, employers provide fewest jobs and post fewest gains within eight months. These data are unexpected.

Time3 171words 1min27
Data show: new jobs↓, unemployment rate↓, wage growth↑, income gap↑

Time4 300words 2min53
Stocks: kors:sell, gap:rise, apple:down, samung:positive
These stock prices can quickly reflect the information

Time5 420words 3min51
Recruiters can check the employees’ social media, if someone’s photo or words are inappropriate, he or she will be laid off.

Time6 507words 5min07
Stories about ppl who reveal info on social media may lose or affect job.

作者: 古月小破烂    时间: 2014-9-6 11:32
Speaker: wage change in fast food restaurant.
Time2: 00’56 unemployment rate in US.
Time3:1’28 Job change in August,June, and July. Wages also change during these time.
Time4:1’59 stock change in different enterprise.
Time5:2’47 introduction about relationship between social network and personal job.
Time6: 3’36 give details in each terms that people should mention when they look for job or do a job
Obstacle:5’23 an interview of Franchise players who franchising a oil company. He move from California to Carolina, and he used to be a salesman.
作者: cherry6891    时间: 2014-9-6 15:01
thanks~占座 grase the logical of the article

41-07
Time2 many new jobs created during the past 12 months and unemployment rate . August's job gain were far blew the average jobs gain in the past 12 months and consumers are still caution
Time3  
Job gain glows slowly in august. Average salary is increasing but the income gap widen during the past two years, the media salary increase only in the top 10% and middle class salary declined to ...
Time4
Restaurant 's profit match the expectation
In Clothing and bag market were under pressure
Apple 's stock declined after the hit of news of hacking and new competitors
Time5
Ur status and the pics on Facebook and the content u t will influence ur career cuz more than 70% recruiters will check ur Facebook pics
Time6
Do not write blog on Facebook which make fun of boss or clients, do not over sharing the private life and expose the company secrets
Obstacle
A interview with a successful instant oil change center owner A
He was a plastic salesman before , after the attack of 911,he decided to change a job and be the master of his own life.
Then several questions about why he choose to be franchise? The investment of that business,the valuable experience,and the next step of him

作者: Yeezy    时间: 2014-9-6 16:05
2. 56" The unemployment rate is incerase althou the jobs offered are increasing. The wage also decreased.

3.1'08" The June job creations are revised to lower, but the July job creations are irevised to higher. The wage increased. However, the wage difference becomes larger, the rich is richer, the midle is poorer.

4.1'25" The restaurants shares are pursuited by the investors. SportWear in HongKong increase its holding. Apple meet with difficulty with its icould problems and other phone competitions.

5.1'30" Tweet can influence on getting a job, as the employer may search your photos. Tweet may lead to a job loss,For example, Green lost a nonprofit job. Don't post photos such as drinking while you are not to 21. Don't complain about the job.

6.58" Advice about not do on the social media.

Obstacle. 4'09"
After the 9.11 attack, it became hard for A.S. to go to his family, so he changed to a franchise----Oil Change. Because he was once obstacled by the oil change, so he turned to this kind of franchise. AT first, the work is overwhelming. However, the franchise will provide help. It is better to get an attorny. A.S. now hope for 29th shop, his aim is growth.
作者: mozhiwanjia    时间: 2014-9-6 16:16
zxppx 发表于 2014-9-5 23:13
Part III: Obstacle
FranchisePlayers: After 9/11, This Franchisee Sold Everything to Rebo ...

掌管 6        00:09:38.36        00:34:15.04
掌管 5        00:07:59.99        00:24:36.67
掌管 4        00:05:33.99        00:16:36.67
掌管 3        00:06:40.05        00:11:02.68
掌管 2        00:02:24.02        00:04:22.62
掌管 1        00:01:58.60        00:01:58.60

作者: 梦里柔荑    时间: 2014-9-6 16:47
Time 201:20.52)
Employers supply fewer jobs than people expected, not consistent with the healthy development of economy.
Since the Great depression of 2009, consumers become cautious in spending, so that the spending of July drop down.
Time 302:11.26)
The job creation increase fewer than estimated, and the wage growth is less than many years ago. Meanwhile, the gap of income has widen. The Federal has noticed the gap of income, but it can not do anything to change it.
Time 4: (03:27.45)
The stock of LOCO rises and the company plans to open some new stores. The stock of KORS decreases, so many stock holders plan to sell their stocks of it. GPS reported a decrease of stock sales, but Navy’s stock sales increase. AAPL announce its new product, many other smart phone companies also introduce their new products.
Time 503:51.18)
Social media may destroy a job, people can get your secret from your twitter or facebook and so on. But almost everyone does not have the habit of locking their communicating tool. So your colleagues or employers can get some information which is harmful to your career but your left unconsciously.
Time 605:56.63)
Some circumstances that social media will make the employees lose their jobs.
Time 707:19.70)
After the 911, Slattery found he should grasp his own fortune. Before that, he was a salesman, but he decided to do franchise after that attack. He knows nothing about franchise so meets many challenges,but he overcomes those difficulties via his hard working and other people’s assist. He decides to open more companies and hire more staffs.

作者: 油桃F    时间: 2014-9-6 17:03
Speaker
Fast food workers protest for higher wage up to 15 dollars per hour. They said they need to raise children and the current wage is too low to do so. However, mcdonalds says customers are not willing to pay for it. Union organizer contends that living wage should be increased.

[Time 2] 58''
Unemployment rate decreased because fewer people seek for a job and economy growth slows down.

[Time 3] 1'14
Job growth slows down. And Fed adjusted job data in June and July. Meanwhile, the average wage increases but income gap widens.

[Time 4] 2'18
Food chains attract a number of investors. Apple announced its new security measures for iCloud.

[Time 5] 2'26
A photo in social media media such as fb will ruin your career because recruiters may check your profile or photos even if they don't follow you.

[Time 6] 2'19
Some things you should avoid in social media. For example, don't make fun of your boss or don't disclosure the secret of your company etc.

Obstacle
A man who is a former salesman enters in franchising after 9.11. The article talks about his experience and some advice about owning one's own business.
作者: wangweiyi5332    时间: 2014-9-6 21:32
Native Speaker
Macdonlald rish its employee wages from $9 an hour to 15$ an hour. The experts said this stragety will rise the cost of customers who do not want to pay for this fees. While the service employees are most adults or parents, they need money to feed on themselves or their children.
Timer2
economy has been went on a healthy pace since 2009, The great recession.
Timer3 1:18
the number of  jobs that were created in the last year is below the average number that experts have expected.
the average income growed about 0.2% in the last year, but the income gap was widened during the period of 2010 to 2013. The government said they could do nothing to shorten this gap.  
Timer4  2:26
restaurant chain has earned a short increase, while the clothing market is under pressure.  Some clothing investors were considering sell their shares in hands. Apple struggled a lot with the hit of hacking and it announced that it would strengthen its smartphone secruity. But with apple's stress, Samsung and Motorala feel quite relaxed in its new smartphone products.   
Timer5 3:12
Tweets may evoke haovc for you because you could send some negative messages on it which is valued by your boss. send a drinking photo could make you lose the job unless you are above 21. Complaint about your job could make you lose your job if your hirer see your social account.
Timer6 3:38
Make jokes about your boss. make smack about your clients or customers.  Talking smack about a job before you’ve even accepted it. Blowing your own cover. Revealing company secrets. Sexual oversharing. Posting something embarrassing on the corporate Twitter feed.
Obstacle 6:02
one businessma purchased a franchise and made it big. He searched all the company's information from the Internet. He adviced people should collect surfficient information before they do the purchase. The next goal that he plan to make it true is to have the company growed.
作者: Going    时间: 2014-9-6 22:02
Time 2: 0:52
Time 3: 1:05
Time 4: 1:50
Time 5: 2:45
Time 6: 3:03

Obstacle: 4”55

Speaker: MC clerks hold campaign to raise salary from 9 $ to 15 $ by hinder the road of business center. But salary increase to such a double level means the price to customers will be raised and customers will not willing.

Time 2: Government provide fewer work jobs but the unemployment rate are not lower too much than expected. Such figures do not release people and instead people are still in cautious of economy stability.

Time 3: Job opportunities are decreased and income gap are inceasing.

Time 4: Food are in good positions. Clothes are not so well and many of the stakeholders want to sell out shared. Apple is trying to compete with other technological company with great pressure.

Time 5-6: Social media will have great impact on your job. Recruiters are using social media to evaluate you. There are ten areas that will make you dead in job.

Obstacle: 9’11 make AS decide to hold career by his own and establish company and it has successfully expanded to 28 centers. There are many QA part for his successful career.

作者: karroy21    时间: 2014-9-7 01:03
Speaker: Fast food restaurant workers accross the United States asked for a higher wage. In Chicago, employees in Mcdonald and Burger King blocked a street to hold a protest. Restaurants need to charge higher price, but many fast food customer will not willing to pay.

Time 2: 0'38
Time 3: 0'57
Time 4: 1'50
Time 5: 2'05
Time 6: 1'35

Obstacle: It's an interview about a man who never started a business before gets lots of franchises successfully after the 9.11 attacl
作者: chenlang4869    时间: 2014-9-7 08:59
TIME 2 \51'
THE EMPLOYERS ADDED THE LOWEST AMOUNT OF JOBS SINCE 8 MONTHS THIS YEAR ,EVEN THOUGH THE BIG DATA SHOWS THAT THE USA ECONOMY IS GOING WITH A HEALTHY PACE. MOREOVER, THE CONSUMING HAS DECLINED AS WELL
TIME3\1'18
THE JOBS GROWTH IN AUGUST DECLINED. THE INCOME GAP WIDENED. THE FED CAN DO NOTHING ABOUT IT.
TIME4\2'18
LOCO, KORS,GPS,APPLE AND MSFT
TIME5\2'33
THE SOCIAL MEDIA HAS BEEN SO POPULAR BETWEEN YOUNGS AND OTHER PEOPLE THAT THEY FORGOT THAT NOT EVERYTHING IS OK TO PUT IN THERE. ACTUALLY ANYTHING IN THE TWEET OF FACEBOOK CAN MAKE WORSE FOR THEIR JOB.
TIME6\2'57
OTHER DANGEROUS WAYS

OBSTACLE 5'26
AN EXAMPLE OF A PERSON WHO WANTS TO HOLD THE BUSINESS IN HIS OWN HAND AND PRUCHASE A FRANCHISE, WHICH NOW HAS COME UP TO A BIG BUSINESS WITH 28 LOCATIONS AND FAST GROWTH.
作者: NativeStudy菌    时间: 2014-9-7 10:33
ZOEYZHANG114 发表于 2014-9-6 01:40
THANK YOU.  GOOD ARTICLE AND GOOD KNOWLEDGE.

we meet again~
this is a good article~ and we can learn many knowledge from it, don't you think it will get you more help if you write down something about the passage?
作者: xiongzai2014    时间: 2014-9-7 11:33
1’03
1‘18
2’01
3'05
4’08
5’40:A man's business about franchise, something about oil. 9.11事件后决定掌握his business on his own hand. 为franchise做了很多努力,Search the information on the Internet 等等,打电话,someone解决了他的所有问题。。。现阶段目标growth。。。通篇都不晓得franchise的意思---特许经营权

作者: 太阳雪203    时间: 2014-9-7 11:52
Speaker
The wage is quite low at fast food restaurant like MacDonald.
However, the industry faces big pressure to increase the wage and the customer would not like to pay more.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Speed
Time 2-0’55[130 words] 才发现读的这么慢,远不及150wpm的速度要求啊>.<
August gained smallest jobs in the past eight months.
The consumption is quite sluggish too.

Time 3-0’54[171 words]
August experienced low job growth rate.
The unemployment rate ticked down slightly and the average hourly wages ticked up.
The income gap widened.

Time 4-1’54[300 words]
LOCO, the restaurant, experienced a positive month while the KORS and GPS, the retailer, experienced a negative month.
Apple made effort to go out the tough week and other smart phone companies also made change.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Obstacle
Time 7-4’39[895 words]
A Q&A interview column interviewed AS, a successful franchiser.
作者: AgendaChen    时间: 2014-9-7 13:36
Even though the economic indexes show that the ecomomy of the United States is recoverying, the employers provide fewer jobs in Augest than in June or June.
45s

The passage gives us some data about the increase of jobs, the unemployment rate, the wage growth and the income gap.
1m8s

Some information about food chain industry, clothing retailer and Apple.
1m50s

Tweet will prevent you from geting a job withoug you ever knowing. And then the author offers 10 real-life mistakes on which you should really be cautious.
7m30s
两段一起看了

An interview of Andrew Slattery, who used to be a salesman but now is a Franchise player owing 28 locations. It seems to be ads for Valvoline Instant oil Change.
5m15s
作者: Yvonne52585    时间: 2014-9-7 17:25
yeah ~kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
time 2  0:52
More people can't find a job recently despite most economic data shows that the economy is growing in a healthy pace.

time 3  0:54
Job growth slowed significantly in August and the income gap between the poor and the rich is getting wider.

time 4  1:51
information for the stock of some big companies

time 5  2:17
Social media can pose your daily situation out on the Internet, so be careful when you load on your photoes.

time 6  2:40
rest tips about managing your own social networks

obstacle  4:48
A man want to have a franchise in the oil change business and here are the tips that the oil company wants to know from him.

作者: wensd1111    时间: 2014-9-7 19:07
1 A 00:50
2 A 01:06
3 A 01:51
4 A 02:17
5 A 02:38
6 A 04:42
question about a owner how did he start and plan his business.
start from t attack, then select on line, work with corporate, buying with pave movement, advise to individual owners, and plan to open more business.
作者: zhl2007    时间: 2014-9-8 09:21
周一打卡!
Speed:
01:18 the job position increased far less than estimated and consumer spending decline in June.
01:15 figures about the job position and unemployment rate. the income gap becomes larger but the Fed can do little in order to help
02:26 different economic situations in different industries including food, GPS, Apple and clothing.
02:48 social media such as Facebook and tweeter can influence your employment and ten mistakes can really do bad on you, ban you from employing by the firm and even make you fired.
03:25 what you cannot do in the social network (1-7)
Obstacle:
05:05 interview of a franchise player
还是经管类读的明白啊啊啊!

作者: planetandlucas    时间: 2014-9-8 23:16
Time 2:  The article shows August’s job gains were 142K and it was far below than any other months' (55)

Time 3: The article introduces the changing trend of job situation. (1:22)

Time 4: Paragraphes introduce the stock situation of different stocks. (2:10)

Time 5: The article introduces that social media can seriously affect your job and job application. (3:03)

Time 6: Some other media actities can rule your career. (4:00)

Obstacle: The article introduces a Entrepreneur’s business plan after 9/11. The core business of franchise is oil change franchise. Then, the article further introduces the process and steps of franchise business.(05:17)
作者: joseph520    时间: 2014-9-9 19:38
Timer2 130
41’’
The number of jobs provided by employer is the smallest among the latest 8 months. Although the other economic figure implying that the economy is growing in a steady pace, the number of jobs is fewest in recent months.
Timer3 171
57’’
The number of jobs created is under the expectation, although the unemployment rate is expected. Regarding other figures, the average hourly wage decreased. Most important and disappoint finding is that the gap between the richest and the poor people are increasing. Only the richest 10% people’s income increased. But the Fed Chairmen claims that they can do nothing on the underlying factors.
Timer4 300
1’43’’
The performance of several stocks.
Kors: The billionaire investor is selling the stocks after the IPO.
GAP: the decrease of the sales for its namesake, but a rise for lower end brand Old Navy.
Apple: take some actions after the celebrity account hact event. The stock decline also due to the competitors’ performance, such as Sumsung gain positive review for the new product and the launch of new product from MSFT.
Timer5 420
2’20’’
Discussing how the social network may destroy you without the notice. There are many ways that you can be digged out from facebook or tweeter. The graph search engine. Some examples.
Top 10 not-dos.
10. Dont post the photo while your are drinking.
9. Don’t complain
8. Don’t tweent while you are supposed to work.
Timer6 507
2’58’’
7. making fun of boss.
6.Insult customer or donor.
5.talking something bad of the job.
4.blowing own cover
2.link the business secret
1. Sex Over sharing
Obstacle 894
5’29’’
911 remind interviewee to quit the sales job with plenty of travels, and get his life back to his own hand.
How to buy the franchise: from the widow of the owner who passed away.
How much: 30,000.
Why franchise: no experience.
Why this franchise: a good business model.
Where of the most useful advice: the consultant from headquarter.
Most challengable thing: a lot, from paper work to new knowledge.
Advice:
What next.

作者: 黑糖话梅糖    时间: 2014-9-9 21:24
speaker:fast food workers across the US rally for higher wages, and some workers complains that the current wages are not enough to raise the family. some law makers agree the raise,and the food companies will charge higher prices to offset.
time 2.  1:13
some data about the employees, the added jobs,the unemployment rate and the wages.
time3.  1:33
job growth  slows, unemployment rate declines , the wage growths increases, and the gap between the poor and the rich widen.
timer4.  3:31
crazy OCO stocks
pressure :KORS
retail store GAP :sales decline, old navy chain sales increase.
apple:measure to its security . competition challenge.
time5  3:30
pay attention to the impact of the social medium to you career.
time6.  3:54
some mistakes.
obstacles   5:11
the 911 attack gave the person a wake and he begins his franchise.
questions about the time ,the reasons ,the initial investment , the previous job and the advice about the franchise.

作者: linsanitytoo    时间: 2014-9-10 09:32
怎么我发现今天的听力和原文出入那么大的?
作者: TINGYI-2014    时间: 2014-9-10 20:39
1‘02   1’58  2‘44 2’19 0‘38  1’48  
Be careful when you are sending message on the Internet.
作者: wdybrian    时间: 2014-9-11 23:26
资料真的好新啊!连大表姐玉照泄露都提到了。

1'14
US employers provided in Augest much less jobs  than average monthly increase in the past 12 months.
It's unexpected because recent ecomomic data showed a healthy pace.

1'22
US employment increased in Augest much less than previous months, but unemployment rate met expected level.
But the income gap became wider. The income of top 10% earners increased 2%, in contrast, the income of 20% middle class decreased 6%.

2'14
The current status of several big companies.

2’40
Nowadays, social media is impacting someone's career if he/she exposes too much non-professional behaviors.
From lest to most severity:
No.10-No.8 non professional behaviors.

2‘50
No.7-No.1 non-professional behaviors.

6'06
An interview of a franchisee.
- Reason to be a franchisee
- Background
- Procedure
- Requirement
- Different challenges
- Advice
- Future goal
作者: Starlun    时间: 2014-9-12 21:36
(0:50)
(2:00)
(3:43)
(6:13)
(9:10)
(14:18)
========================================
obstacle里面的有些单词连在一起没有隔开,不过还是读得通,哈哈
作者: louisa33    时间: 2014-9-15 13:28
T2: Unemployment rate is still high even if the economy is heading in a good way. Also,the unemployment rate fell just because of less people are seeking jobs. Consumers are still cautious.
[30"] 130

T3+T4: Job growth slowly mainly because the job added. The income gap became bigger from 2011 to 2013.
MK gradually lost its investment since more and more investors plan to sell the stocks. Also the GAP's revenue is dropping except for the Old Navy. Apple also expriences a tough time facing the competition from Sumsung and MSFT.

[2:05] 171+300

T5: Social media became more and more popular and people sometimes are not aware that not everything is suitable to put on social media. Your boss, collegue may see your posting even if they are not following you. Unappropriate photo may cause you lost a job.

10: drinking
9.complain about your jobs
8.posting when working

[1'33"] 420

T6:
7:making fun of boss
6: making fun of client
5:smack
4:blowing on cover
3:secret
2:secual
1: using wrong account

[2:22"] 507

作者: msadele    时间: 2014-9-16 14:31
T2 1'06
The unemplyment rate felt but the job increasing rate also decreased, which is unusual nowadays.
T3 1'53
The job increasement ticked down and the income gap become wider.
T4 2'39 有一些细节部分没有看进去...欠缺股市方面专业知识和词汇
Some millionaire sell their stocks. Apple is facing with great difficult after some celebrities' account was hacked.
T5 3'17 虽然比较长,但是不难,有两段内容有回视的倾向
Since facebook fail to protect user's privacy, there are something you should pay attention to in order not to be fired because of your postings.
T6 3'13 下次要提高要求,不仅知道全文,每段都得明确!
The other 8 things

OBSTACLE
5'01 实际上可以读得稍微细一点,不太难,有点无聊....
作者: 丝袜奶茶    时间: 2014-9-19 02:27
time 2 0059
the job create in August
time 3 016
job created slow, high income gap
time 4 0156
different stock situation
time 5&6 0307
the bad post on public median can get people's job fired.
obstacle:

作者: 巫汤汤    时间: 2014-9-19 23:52
今天的obstacle好短
作者: psychoarya    时间: 2014-9-20 09:10
time2 1:04
time3+Time4 3:32
time5+time6 7:05

obstacle 5:35
作者: lemongrass17    时间: 2014-9-21 10:56
Time2
August’s job gains were lower than expected.
Structure
Point:employers add just 142K jobs in August
Support:comparison with other months.
Implication:wage gains have been sluggish
         Consumer spending decreased.
Time3
Describe current economic situation.
Structure
Support:Job growth
       Unemployment rate
       Wage growth
       Widened income gap
Implication:there is little the Fed can do about the underlying factors.
Time4
Information concerning the current situations of different companies.
Structure
The revenues of LOCO beat estimate.
KORS is under pressure.
GPS reported a bigger-than-expected decline.
Apple goes through a hack accident and pressure from competitors.
Time5
Information on one’s social network file may be havoc on one’s career.
Structure
Point:photos on social media profiles may even wreak havoc on your career.
Support:the reasons why they may wreak havoc on your career:people are looking
       Examples:Green
               10 real-life mistakes:photos:drinking in a photo
                                      Complaining about job
                                      Posting while should working.
Time6
The rest 7 real-life mistakes
Making fun of boss or team
Making fun of clients or donors
Taking smack about a job before accepting it
Blowing your own cover
Revealing company secrets
Sexual oversharing
Posting something embarrassing

Obstacle
An interview on the owner of Valvoline Instant Oil Change.
Structure
Introduction of Andrew Slattery.
Content of the interview:
How long S have owned a franchise:12 years
Why franchising:the impact of “911”:call him up to take business in his own hand
What was he doing before franchising:a salesman
Why did he choose a particular franchise:searched various franchise opportunities and kept coming back to Valvoline Instant Oil Change.
How much would he estimate his spending :how much you initially have and your market
Where did he get advice:did research on internet
What’s the unexpected challenge to him:lots of paperwork
What’s the advice for those who want to open franchise :do research well
What’s the next plan:growth

作者: lzhang06    时间: 2014-9-28 13:29
Timw2 1m07s
The numbers of new jobs droped in Augest,consumer spending lowed down,
although unemployed rate slowed down and economy tended to be healthy.

Time 3 1m40s
The numbers of new jods decreased, unemployed rate gropped, hourly wage increased , but compared the the past year, its lower.
Income gap widen, and the  upper income increased, middle saw the income decrease.

Time4 3min
Fod\od chain retail report strong performance than expection, because of the well sales.
The stock price of MK was slower because the investors sell their shares, and quit luxury markets.
The sales of GAP also slowed down, although sales of low-priced brand ON raised.
Apple suffered from information insecurity and competition. Although it improve new cose processs.
Sumsong, M, and MS all promoted new products.  

Time5 3m20s
FB and T can cause lose jobs even you are unwarenesss, because boss and co-workers can search photo
without follow you.
10. drinking.9. complaints8. tweet in work time.

Time6 4m56s
7. make fun of donators6. laugh at clents. 5. complanit about jobs. 4.blowing your cover
3. spoli company information2. sexual information. 1. tweet on
company feed.

Time 7 5m48s
As the faily was attacked in9/11, the author altered to charge his life.
He spent $300,000 to invest OF, though he knew nothing about automotion at first and overwealming workd took
a lot of time. .
A good business modle, the search information on line, and the help of team, \ performance OF
has been good. Author expects OF will grow stronger, and provide more jobs.

作者: 疯狂的狐狸    时间: 2014-9-28 14:08
done~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
作者: neverland1021    时间: 2014-9-29 20:08
谢谢ZXPPX分享~

1'03[130 words]
there're only 142000 job vacancies are offered during last eight month, and it's the 最低的工作申请数据 since XXXX
the unemployment rate fell to 6.1% from 6.2% because of less applicants.
the economy grows at the health rate. People remain cautiously after 2009

第二遍:
August’s job gains were far below than the average increased job gains in previous 12 months

1'19[171 words]
八月份提供的工作数量远远低于预期,而失业率符合预期
第二遍:
In August, only 142000 jobs were created, which were below the average estimated job gains
The unemployment rate was 6.2%, in line with the expected rate 6.1%

2‘06[300 words]
performance of some stocks
Retail: Sportswear - Micheal Kors, GAP - Old navy,
Hight tech: apple(tough week, after the celebrities' iphones have been hacked, new progress for the password change), samsung, motorrola, Nokia with Microsoft (new selfies camera 730)

2'58
company recruiters are likely to check potential applicant's information through social media where your personal life exposes completely
A list of 10 things from the least to the most thing you should never do:
1)post photos is related to alcohol
2)say a bad word potentially related to your company by social media
3)post a message that you are in somewhere when you should work in other place

3'28
4) make fun of your teammates or boss
5) make fun of your customers or donors - reveal their personal information
6)Talk about a job before you accept it: Cisco intern  
7)blow your own cover: bank intern
8)Reveal your company's secret
9)sexual information oversharing
10)post something embarrassing through  your company media rather than through your personal account

6'11[894words]
MI: why and how a salesman can change to be an franchise owner successfully
*the reason to change from a salesman to a franchise owner:
after the 9/11, Andrew struggled to reunite with his families and he felt he should control his own fate and fortune, so he sought opportunities in franchise.
*the business success of Andrew: He owns 28 locations in Carolina
*the progress of Andrew's career transferring:
  the reason to choose franchise:
no business experience=> franchise may be the most suitable for Andrew: get guidance from the company
  the reason to choose VZOC franchise:
good track record; no passion in cars but the franchise company has a good business model;                              
  challenge:
can't plan for how much time will be invested in the franchise at first, the tax forms and other paperwork are overwhelmed
get help from the company
   some advices for the new starters
   next goal of Andrew: growth:

作者: neverland1021    时间: 2014-9-29 20:25
Cassidy大洁洁 发表于 2014-9-6 06:26
SPEED
time 2 - 00: 01: 10
没有太理解文章。。只知道是 jobs added in August is lower than before

个人觉得这部分就是说本周股票的一个走势,就像看财经新闻一样挑几个大家比较关注的股票或者事件来通报一下。。

While working at a nonprofit, Green nearly fired an employee after the young woman snarkily tweeted a photo of a donation card on which a donor had written eccentric comments
snarky: criticizing someone in an annoyed way and trying to hurt their feelings:
http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/british/snarky

“Talking smack about a job before you’ve even accepted it”
smack: a short, loud noise,感觉就是类似于负面新闻这种东西
http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/british/smack

作者: msadele    时间: 2014-10-3 17:04
T2 1'06
The unemplyment rate felt but the job increasing rate also decreased, which is unusual nowadays.
T3 1'53
The job increasement ticked down and the income gap become wider.
T4 2'39 有一些细节部分没有看进去...欠缺股市方面专业知识和词汇
Some millionaire sell their stocks. Apple is facing with great difficult after some celebrities' account was hacked.
T5 3'17 虽然比较长,但是不难,有两段内容有回视的倾向
Since facebook fail to protect user's privacy, there are something you should pay attention to in order not to be fired because of your postings.
T6 3'13 下次要提高要求,不仅知道全文,每段都得明确!
The other 8 things

OBSTACLE
5'01 实际上可以读得稍微细一点,不太难,有点无聊....

欢迎光临 ChaseDream (https://forum.chasedream.com/) Powered by Discuz! X3.3