ChaseDream

标题: Ben的复习笔记回顾 [打印本页]

作者: bejamin1111    时间: 2013-5-2 01:02
标题: Ben的复习笔记回顾
1。because of ving累赘'
2。a proportion of逻辑上单数,语法上复数,percentage类似
3。whether引导宾语从句时后不加not ,否则wordy;引导壮语从句时,必须加
4。关于伴随壮语的错误使用,
He went into the classroom, sitting on the chair.
进教室之后才坐下的,不是进教室的同时,就一直坐着。
作者: bejamin1111    时间: 2013-5-6 01:01
刚才睡前回顾了manhattan SC 5th 关于modifier这一章,感觉必须起来再总结下;
【一】modifier修饰人或者事物;
【二】形容词和副词做modifier:遵循touch rule;
      形容词修饰名词或者代词;
      副词修饰名词和代词之外的所有;
      adj+adj+noun,两个形容词同时修饰名词/ adv+adj+noun,副词修饰形容词,在修饰名词;
【三】noun modifier
        修饰名词的modifier叫NM;
   NM可以是形容词、介词词组、过去分词、现在分词、关系代词、另外一个名词(即同位语);
【四】NM的位置——touch rule;
      若未touch,即是misplaced modifier;
      若修饰的noun不存在,即使dangling modifier
         两个长的modifier连用经常会引起歧义;应该避免
【五】对所有格的修饰
      e.g Unskilled in complex math, Bill‘s score on the exam was poor;这里unskilled 引导的opening modifier修饰bill’s 错误,应该修饰bill;
【六】关系代词引导的modifier
        which、that,who,whose,where,when;
     whose既可以指代人,也可以指代物;
     that和whom在这种情况下可以省略:即这两个指代的名词在modifier里面做宾语;e.g The moie (that)we watched was scary;
     where不能指代抽象名词,如condition,situation,case,circumstance等;
     when和in which可以互换;
【七】核心NM和非核心NM;
      用comma隔开的modifier是非核心,反之则是核心;
【八】verb modifier
         修饰动词的modifier;
      可以是副词,介词,也可以是从句;
      VM比NM位置更加灵活;
【九】which和Ving
        comma+which一般就近指代preceding noun,从不指代前句话;
     Ving你懂得!

作者: bejamin1111    时间: 2013-5-7 00:29
Verb Tense, Mood, & Voice
Tense:时态
Mood:语气
        陈述语气;
        虚拟语气
Voice:语态
        被动语态;
        主动语态

简单时态(Gmat所喜欢的):
        一般现在时;
        一般过去时;
        一般将来时;

进行时态:
        现在进行时;
        过去进行时;
        将来进行时;
备注:GMAT中现在进行时不能表示将来的时态,太过口语化;
      表示general states的动词没有进行时态;如know或signify;

完成时:

现在完成时:Present Perfect
定义:The Present Perfect indicates either continued action or continued effect of a completed action up to the present.

过去完成时:Past Perfect
定义:过去的过去;
需注意点:
不是所有的过去的过去都使用过去完成时;
一般来说,当需要阐明或者强调过去事件的先后顺序的时候,需要用过去完成时;
之前的事件应该对后来的事件有影响;如果事件先后顺序很明显,那就不需要使用过去完成时
Antonio DROVE to the store, and Cristina BOUGHT some ice cream.
Laura LOCKED the deadbolt before she LEFT for work.
And和but连接的两个过去的动作不需要过去完成时;before,after等表示先后的词不需要;

特例:
you can even make a tricky sentence in which the first clause expresses an early action in Simple Past. Then, a second clause expresses a later action in Past Perfect to indicate continued effect (by a still later past time).

Right: The band U2 WAS just one of many new groups on the rock music scene in the
early 1980's, but less than ten years later, U2 HAD fully ECLIPSED its early rivals in
the pantheon of popular music.
Eclipsed发生在was之后,但是用的是过去完成时,为了强调这个动作对后来的影响
注:Do not use the perfect tenses when the simple tenses will do. The GMAT prefers simplicity;

虚拟语气The Subjunctive Mood
用于以下两种情况;
(1) Unlikely or unreal conditions (usually after i f  on a similar word).
(2) Proposals, desires, and requests formed with certain verbs and the word that.
两种分类:Hypothetical Subjunctive;The Command Subjunctive

Hypothetical Subjunctive条件虚拟:
IF..then结构;then后动词时态灵活
The helping verbs would and should NEVER go in the i f part of the sentence, according to the GMAT!

The Command Subjunctive祈使虚拟:
        Bossy Verb + THAT + subject + Command Subjunctive
We PROPOSE THAT the school board DISBAND.
经常用到的bossy word(后接动词原形):
demand, dictate,  insist,  mandate, propose,  recommend,  request, stipulate, suggest
        It+adj+that+sb.+V原形
这些形容词包括:advisable, crucial, desirable, fitting, imperative, important, mandatory, necessary, preferable, urgent, and vital.
备注:Whether之后不能用虚拟语气;suggest之后有时候不用虚拟语气;
Wrong: I like ice cream, WHETHER it BE chocolate, vanilla, or any other flavor.
Right:  I like ice cream, WHETHER it ]S chocolate, vanilla, or any other flavor.
Her presence suggests that she is happy. 这里suggest意思是probably means

作者: bejamin1111    时间: 2013-5-23 16:48
And also 表示列举wordy;
With独立主格结构在gmat中常常被认为累赘""
make it adj. for doing错误,因为for doing是介宾短语,不能用it指代
作者: bejamin1111    时间: 2013-5-25 00:05
继续拾起了manhattan 今天看了第八章,总结些:
                          【Comparison】
【一】比较是平行结构的一种;
【二】比较要求句式结构和逻辑都平行;
【三】经常见到的比较词语:like,unlike,as,than;
【四】like VS AS
       **like:介词;后接名词(动名词)、代词、名词词组;
     **AS:介词或连词;从句比较用as不用like;
【五】比较结构的平行;
     **逻辑平行;Frank‘s build,like his brother, is broad and muscular;错
     **结构平行;I like to run through forests more than I enjoy walking through crowds;错,to run 和     walking结构不平行
【六】比较中的省略;
      原则:不造成句子歧义;
      注意:GMAT允许不必要的助动词的存在;不要因为这一点而排出任何一个选项;
      如: Apple are more healthy to eat than caramels (ARE);正确;
【七】比较级和最高级
     以ly结尾的副词的比较一般前面加more;
     一些不是以ly结尾的副词可以直接加er,如fast;
     只有than存在时候才可以用形容词的比较形式,切记!
作者: bejamin1111    时间: 2013-5-25 15:32
今天的几个错题点:
with结构的小结:                                                                              A)with+n.+(that从句)可以做限定性定语或非限定性定语,此时不是独立主格   
B)with的独立主格结构:在GAMT中一般做状语。其特点是,与主句有紧密逻辑关系,但又可以说与主句没有关系。(即,若与主句有关系,应可用定语从句或其他成分连接。)                                                                              
C)with独立主格结构常见错误:
**将句末同位语或定语从句换成with独立主格结构(此题目的错误)         
**将表达转折的句子意思换成with独立主格结构

如果but后面接名词是不能有instead的,因为but是介词;但是如果but后面接动词就变成了连词,中间加副词instead没问题。Prep07 1-73:Evolutionary psychology holds that the human mind is not a "blank slate" but instead comprises specialized mental mechanisms that were developed to solve specific problems human ancestors faced millions of years ago.

作者: bejamin1111    时间: 2013-5-27 22:48
1."an overwhelming proportion of ..."是一个数量表达,逻辑上本身虽然是单数,但是语法上却视为复数;
2.precede的惯用搭配是:A preceded by B(意思为B先进,然后A进)
3.but that=except that;in that=because;
4.whether表示列举时候的用法:whether A, B, or C.
5.同位语修饰名词词组A of BG是不一定是修饰其中的核心词,可能就近修饰;
A government advisory committee in Japan called for the breakup of Nippon Telephone and Telegraph Company,【 the world's largest telephone company】, into two local phone companies and one long-distance provider.
6.especially强调严重性,specially强调特殊性!
7.GMAT认为capability of X-ing/in X-ing是wordy/awkward的。
8.whereas/while这种连词连接的比较成分不要求含义上绝对的平行;
9.hey, their, it都是完整指代,即指代包含了被指对象的所有修饰成分;one和that,those是核心词指代。
10.compared with直接跟在逗号后面可以修饰逗号前面名词短语的核心词:Compared with也可以修饰前面整个分句,compared with后面的名词与主语比较:
作者: bejamin1111    时间: 2013-5-29 00:14
1.Due to,similar to,differing from等有形容词性质的介词,GMAT中一般不能出现在句首。
2.be known to have done sth的问题:当be known 和 do sth的发生的时间一致时,用be known to do sth;而do sth发生在be known之前时,则要用be known to have done sth。
1) date….to  可追溯sth到...几年,强调发生的时间点,后面是ago
2) date….at  年代判定、鉴别/年份有….年之久,强调发生到现在经过的时间有多长,后面是old
4.when和at which的区别:前者表示确定时间,后者表示模糊时间
5.Be subject to sth:If someone or something is subject to something, especially something bad, it is possible or likely that they will be affected by it. 其中subject是形容词。
作者: bejamin1111    时间: 2013-5-31 01:44
每次回顾都有收获!
作者: bejamin1111    时间: 2013-6-1 17:00
1.限定性与非限定性实质是:有该修饰时,修饰对象的外延是否有变化,如果变小了就是限定性,如果没变就是非限定性。
2.with和by的区别:
(1) 做某事时通过什么方法或手段用by:do something by (doing) something。
(2) 表示使用有形工具时,通常用with来表示:write with a pen, see with naked eyes, strike with a hammar
(3) 作”用”讲时,by和with的区别在于:with表示行为动作的工具,后面的名词一般要有冠词;by表示动作的手段,后面的名词一律不用冠词。
3.以下动词宾语从句需要用虚拟语气:都要省略should。
1)        表示建议:advocate/advise/move/recommend that ... do ...
sb. suggest/propose that ... do ...(如果是物作主语就不需要虚拟,动词是“暗示”的意思)
2)        表示命令:order/decree/mandate/command/demand/direct that ... do ...
3)        表示要求:request/require/insist that ... do ...
4.Media在GMAT中不做集合名词,而是medium的复数,故谓语动词需用复数。The media = all the organizations, such as television, radio, and newspapers, that provide news and information for the public, or the people who do this work
5.日常英语中analysis, report可以行使focus, overlook等动词,但是GMAT中任有待于去进一步确认;
6.关于excepting:
OG11 verbal review #13:Excepting usually appears in negative constructions;
excepting多用于否定意义的句子:The use of excepting is considered by many people to be acceptable only after not, only, always, or without.
Everyone helped, not excepting John
We must all obey the law, not [without] excepting the king.
Elsewhere except is preferred: Every country agreed to the proposal except (not excepting) Spain;
He was well again except for (not excepting) a slight pain in his chest.
except for: 用于非同类事物,它的宾语与前述对象完全是两回事。
except:指同一类事物的总体中除去一部分,强调的是除去
apart from:其含义主要依据上下文而定,有时可与except换用,有时可代替besides.

作者: bejamin1111    时间: 2013-6-1 17:19
【1】分词短语逻辑主语的判断
a)        分词短语在句首作状语:逻辑主语=主句主语
b)        ing分词短语在句尾:
        表伴随动作/状态/功能,与句子谓语动作同时发生,逻辑主语=句子主语
        表伴随结果,整个句子是原因,导致分词动作产生,无逻辑主语.可以在分词前加thus/thereby/in effect/in fact等,也可以不加(OG10-259)。
*:注意无论前面是主动还是被动语态,现在分词短语修饰的都是主语,如下面manhattan的Ron大神所示例子:
My brother tricked me, disappointing Dad --> implies that dad is disappointed in my brotherfor tricking me (and not necessarily disappointed in me for being tricked).
I was tricked by my brother, disappointing Dad -->implies that dad is disappointed in me because i fell for my brother's trick(and not that he's disappointed in my brother for tricking me).
c)        ed分词短语在句尾,一般优先就近作定语,修饰名词[OG10-127]
d)        ing分词和ed分词在句中:优先作定语修饰就近的名词[OG10-191]
e)        介词或介词短语+ing分词: in addition to/in/by/without/besides+doing…,句子
        在句首,逻辑主语=句子主语
        在句尾,逻辑主语可能是句子主语也可能不是

【2】当现在/过去分词在句中且前后都有逗号,有歧义:1)修饰前面紧邻的名词,2)向后修饰后面句子的主语.
  这种结构在GMAT肯定错,如果修饰某句主语,则避免将该分词置于以名词结尾的句后.避免方式:1)用定语从句/介词短语明确修饰对象.2)可将分词提到句首,所修饰主语及所在句子紧跟其后-->形成句首分词修饰句子主语.见OG179
作者: bejamin1111    时间: 2013-6-2 21:00
【1】Ron关于Because of Ving的解释;
this construction is incorrect if the causal agent (i.e., the thing that the "because" is attributed to) is the VERB.

for instance,

* we laughed all day because of tony walking into the girls' bathroom --> incorrect, because the verb (walking into the bathroom) is the reason why we were laughing all day.
the correct version of this sentence would read we laughed all day because of tony's walking into the girls' bathroom. in other words, if the causal agent is the action (which appears in -ing form), then it must be preceded by a possessive.

* estelle was afraid to move because of a spider sitting on the wall --> correct, because estelle is afraid because of the spider itself, not because of the spider's sitting on the wall.
作者: bejamin1111    时间: 2013-6-12 15:12
Ron关于代词指代模糊的是否作为splits的两点建议:
so here's the simplest way of making the decision:

1) if you see an AMBIGUOUS PRONOUN that is REPLACED BY THE CORRECT NOUN in OTHER ANSWER CHOICES, then ELIMINATE the ambiguous pronoun and keep the specific noun.
for an example, see problem 68 in the blue verbal supplement, in which "them" is split against "these companies".

HOWEVER,
2) if you see an ambiguous pronoun that is NOT replaced by the correct noun in any of the other answer choices, then DON'T eliminate!
for an example, see problem 21 in the blue verbal supplement (in which the correct answer contains a technically ambiguous
作者: bejamin1111    时间: 2013-6-16 23:10
More than fifty years after the Second World War, a number of African American soldiers were awarded - some of them posthumously - with the Congressional Medal of Honor, which was the nation’s highest military award, and which was long overdue in recognition of their outstanding bravery.

A. with the Congressional Medal of Honor, which was the nation’s highest military award, and which was long overdue in
B. with the Congressional Medal of Honor, the nation’s highest military award for long-overdue
C. the Congressional Medal of Honor, which was the nation’s highest military award, long-overdue in
D. the Congressional Medal of Honor, the nation’s highest military award for long-overdue
E. the Congressional Medal of Honor, the nation’s highest military award, in long-overdue

答案在DE里面选;
1.如果你记得in recognition of那么就可以很容易的选择D;
2.但是为什么E中in recognition of前面有comma呢;
是因为the nation’s highest military award是同位语 同位语可以去掉;去掉之后D改变了句子的intended meaning;而E没有。为什么呢?因为原句的逻辑意思是:longoverdue recognition of their outstanding bravery是the nation's highest military award存在的原因,所以the nation's highest military award这个同位语前后必须隔开
作者: bejamin1111    时间: 2013-6-22 00:12
【关于两种平行结构中介词、关系代词等的省略】
there are two kinds of parallel signals: ONE-PART (such as "and", "or", "but"), and TWO-PART (such as "not only ... but also", "both ... and").

when you have PARALLELISM WITH A ONE-PART SIGNAL, the only words that are "locked in" are the ones directly FOLLOWING the signal.
as long as you can find the corresponding structure in the other part, then the parallelism is fine.

examples:
i worked in nevada and florida.
i worked in nevada and in florida.

BOTH OF THESE ARE FINE.

reasons:
in the first, the part that's "locked in" by the signal and is just florida. therefore, the parallel construction would be just nevada.
since that construction is there, the sentence is parallel:
i worked in
nevada
and
florida.

in the second, the part that's "locked in" by the signal and is in florida. therefore, the parallel construction would be just in nevada.
since that construction is there, the sentence is parallel:
i worked
in nevada
and
in florida.

--

for completely analogous reasons, this sentence would be fine either with or without your second "that":

an increase that
would amount to roughly five miles per gallon
and
would represent...

an increase
that would amount to roughly five miles per gallon
and
that would represent...
作者: bejamin1111    时间: 2013-7-16 12:19
【1】allow that后面要加情态动词才是允许,否则就是"承认";
【2】each 型独立主格,强调句尾名词,形式为:
句子 + 复数名词结尾, each +介词短语/形容词短语/-ed形式/-ing形式
【3】view sth. to be不是正确的idiom
【4】 constructions appearing between two commas, unless they are part of a list (X, Y, and Z), are modifiers and can therefore be struck from the sentence.
【5】 in fact, there is absolutely no difference whatsoever between "compare to" and "compare with". they are exactly the same.
作者: enkyklios    时间: 2013-7-16 15:53
顶,总结的好
作者: bejamin1111    时间: 2013-7-17 14:48
【1】namely用于对刚提及的事物给予更多的信息或说明。副词,不能连接完整句子;
【2】not one of+复数名词谓语动词用单数;
【3】remember this as an idiomatic usage of the construction "known to". if the action is in the present, then you use "known to VERB"; if the action is in the past, then you use "known to have VERBed".
作者: bejamin1111    时间: 2013-7-17 14:51
enkyklios 发表于 2013-7-16 15:53
顶,总结的好

哎 都是自己做题中不熟悉的内容的回顾
作者: bejamin1111    时间: 2013-7-18 12:12
【1】one of +复数名词结构后的从句的谓语动词形式取决于intended meaning;
One of the apples from the basket is rotten. (particular apple)
She is one of the contestants who have prior knowledge of cat-walk.(talking about all those contestants)
【2】关于result in:
you can only say "X results in Y" when X is an ACTION.
if X is an OBJECT, you can NEVER say that X "results" in anything.
【3】 you can't use "like" to refer to a clause;
【4】:according to是prep.(介词);in accordance with 是adv. 与...一致, 依照according to,依据in accordance with,与一致,依照根据本句判断应该是according to,如果是in accordance with,后面应该直接是法规法律
作者: bejamin1111    时间: 2013-7-19 12:22
【1】Idiom:a crime for ...to hold;
【2】对于GWD1-Q2题目中,在支持B选项的童鞋里,很多人说E选项:6percent its share不对,其实这是因为为了给后面的which定语从句合理安排语序,而把increase的正常宾语置后了,其实我们在原句中就可以看到文中的意思,认为是increase share,这样做是为了避免头重脚轻,所以正常的语序应该是increase its share of....market which(or that)ranges....to....from...另外,在词典里可以查到increase to的固定搭配。

类似的各种古怪的后置结构都有存在,我们其实在语法和阅读部分都见过非常多了,另外我再引用一个GWD里面我以前没有见过的后置,是把用来修饰主语的of介宾短语,置于谓语动词的后面,因为该修饰成分太长,而谓语只有has emerged而已,所以如果按照正常语序难免头重脚轻,但是很多人乍一看起来,都觉得has emerged of....太怪了,后来看了语法笔记才知道,这是主语定语后置!呵呵,我也犯了个大错误,一上来就把它排除了,其实它才是正确选项。例句如下:
Navigators have known for thousands of years that the ocean has variable currents, but it is only in the last half century that a reasonably clear picture has emerged of the patterns and causes of ocean currents. (picture of the patterns and picture of the currents)
作者: Kya    时间: 2013-7-19 12:31
up~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~让更多人看到~
作者: bejamin1111    时间: 2013-7-19 13:22
【1】比较结构中核心词的省略:
in contexts in which you would repeat a noun, you don't have to include the repeated noun; you may merely imply it. this is known as ellipsis.
for instance:
this year's heavyweight champion is shorter than last year's.
【2】关于ving和V的名词形式的选择(From Ron);
if you see a split between
* an -ING form that's used as a noun, and
* a dedicated noun form of the same action,
then ALWAYS pick the dedicated noun form.
here, the second half of the comparison is clearly "last year's heavyweight champion", but you don't have to say "heavyweight champion" again.
作者: bejamin1111    时间: 2013-7-20 09:51
Kya 发表于 2013-7-19 12:31
up~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~让更多人看到~

thx, hope it helps.
作者: bejamin1111    时间: 2013-7-20 10:06
【1】"Even though" indicates some kind of cause-effect connection
【2】of+noun+ving:the gmat considers such constructions fatally awkward, and won't include them in correct answers.
If the focus of the construction is the ACTION, then you must use the POSSESSIVE form for the noun/pronoun preceding the "-ing"
everyone laughed at me accidentally walking into the girls' bathroom --> WRONG. sorry. this sentence would actually mean that everyone laughed at me as they were walking into the girls' bathroom.
everyone laughed at my accidentally walking into the girls' bathroom --> CORRECT, because it's the action (my walking into the bathroom, not really me) that they're laughing at.
i saw him walking down the street --> correct, because it was him i saw, not his walking action. this sentence is, however, ambiguous, because either he or i may have been the one walking down the street.
【3】while 和 unlike
"unlike NOUN" is a modifier that has to describe/modify another noun -- thus creating a comparison between those two nouns. (you can eliminate the first 3 options very quickly by using this idea.)

"while CLAUSE" isn't a modifier -- it's an entire clause -- so it doesn't attach to any particular noun or element in the main clause. so, in that case, you are covered as long as there's some sense of contrast between the 2 clauses (as there is here).
【4】enough:
enough to
enough for
enough that ×
sufficient + enough is REDUNDANT. redundancy is very bad.
same reason you wouldn't say "reply back", "added bonus", or "determined as a result of" (see #138 in OG11, if you have that).
作者: bejamin1111    时间: 2013-7-20 10:46
【1】Were it not for..." and "instead" is redundant.
【2】数字的表达法:
If you see twice as many X's, or [i]half as many X's, or three times this/that number of X's, etc. -- just treat it in the same way you'd treat "two X's" or "twenty X's" or whatever.

So:
Two trucks came off the assembly line.
Twice as many trucks came off the assembly line.
Three times the previous number of trucks came off the assembly line.
【3】that/those of...sb/sth's 累赘;
作者: bejamin1111    时间: 2013-7-21 15:09
【1】关于现在完成时的几个短语:
actually, "in the last half-century" REQUIRES the present perfect, because it's an indefinite period of time that extends up to the present.
similarly, you must use the present perfect with any of the following constructions:
"within the last (TIME PERIOD)..."
"since (DATE)..."
"for the last (TIME PERIOD)..
作者: Apolloemma    时间: 2013-7-21 15:42
支持,支持。
作者: bejamin1111    时间: 2013-7-22 11:53
【1】比较中关于that,those等补出与否:
Only seven people this century have been killed by the great white shark, the man-eater of the movies—movies—fewer than those have been
those的出现使得句子错误;
you can't use parallel constructions with "those"/"that"/etc, in separate clauses, unless they are EXACTLY PARALLEL to whatever shows up in the other part.

in this case:
you can't write "those killed by bee stings"
unless
the other part contains "people killed by the great white shark" (with NOTHING IN BETWEEN).
it doesn't, so you can't.
【2】
as many=a number that is equal to another number ?表示同样的数字
They say the people of Los Angeles speak 12 languages and teach just
as many
in the schools.

in as many days/weeks/games etc.
A great trip! We visited five countries in
as many
days (=in five days).

*: "twice as many", "one-quarter as many", etc.都是非常常见的用法,记住这样的表达。

作者: bejamin1111    时间: 2013-7-23 12:09
遇到的一道比较凶悍狡猾的以like作为opening modifier开头的题
1. Almost like clones in their similarity to one another, the cheetah species’ homogeneity makes them especially vulnerable to disease.
A. the cheetah species’ homogeneity makes them especially vulnerable to disease
B. the cheetah species is especially vulnerable to disease because of its homogeneity
C. the homogeneity of the cheetah species makes it especially vulnerable to disease
D. homogeneity makes members of the cheetah species especially vulnerable to disease
E. members of the cheetah species are especially vulnerable to disease because of their homogeneity

做题时感受:未在读完句子时看出和clones对应的词
和clones对应的应该是 cheetah species,如果第一眼能看出这个,那么答案就在BE之间,再从clones判断species应该作为复数的含义出现,那么就圈定答案E。
作者: bejamin1111    时间: 2013-7-23 14:41
【1】since the past few years错;since不加时间段;
【2】idioms of "identify"
identify...as...确认证明某人[某事物]; 鉴别出(系某人或某物:
~ sth with sth 认为某事物与另事物等同:
One cannot identify happiness with wealth;
identify (oneself) with sb/sth;
He refused to identify himself/become identified with the new political party.
作者: bejamin1111    时间: 2013-7-24 15:13
CMAC又一道贱题
Responding to the public's fascination with-and sometimes undue alarm over-possible threats from asteroids, a scale developed by astronomers rates the likelihood that a particular asteroid or comet may collide with Earth.
A a scale developed by astronomers rates the likelihood that a particular asteroid or comet may
B a scale that astronomers have developed rates how likely it is for a particular asteroid or comet to
C astronomers have developed a scale to rate how likely a particular asteroid or comet will be to
D astronomers have developed a scale for rating the likelihood that a particular asteroid or comet will
E astronomers have developed a scale that rates the likelihood of a particular asteroid or comet that may.
答案是C而不是C,原因是:be likely to do结构的变形!金刚啊..
作者: bejamin1111    时间: 2013-7-25 10:44
【1】as a result: 表示间接的因果关系:
"as a result of" suggests indirect causation. i.e., when you write “x happened as a result of y”, the implication is that y didn't cause x directly, although y was in some way ultimately responsible for x.
作者: bejamin1111    时间: 2013-7-26 13:49
OG回顾要点:
【1】since:表原因时候,没有because好,OG解释使用since会使得句子失去重要的因果联系;
【2】无论是被动语态还是定语从句,有确定的动作发出者的时候一般都用主动的形式;
【3】begin to do和begin doing的区别在OG12中并未作为splits;
【4】maybe 和perhaps可以互换,后者更加正式一点;
【5】If is used to express conditional statements.  If & When are interchangeable when the conditional if statement expresses facts or definite events;
【6】 关于but,although,even though等;
But:并列连词,和asyet属于一类;这类词语要求两边对称;
Even though:后必须接句子;
Although:后面可接形容词或者形容词性的短语:
James, althoughbigger than many of the other players, is one of the fastest men on theteam.
【7】Expectation that之后的从句动词用虚拟语气
【8】"according to..." doesn't make sense in this context. that's a phrase you use when you name the person or source from which some information/opinion/etc. comes.         according to GMAC, the GMAT exam is designed to measure test-takers' reasoning abilities, not their knowledge of particular content.

【9】attempt to try, wordy;
【10】v-ing作为modifier,有两种,一种是noun modifier,一种是adverbial modifier,前者遵从touch rule(一般说来noun modifier都遵从touch rule);
         如果v-ing放在句首,那么就必然是作为noun modifier,修饰——主语;如果v-ing为于句子“内部”,前面没逗号,那肯定是noun modifier,修饰preceding noun;
【11】to do总是表示某一次具体的应用或目的,表达功能的话用doing更为合适。
【12】句尾的"comma + infinitive"是adverbial modifier。而我们知道adverbial modifier的位置可以很灵活,通常可以放前面、后面甚至中间。            To get a high score, we study hard.
            We study hard to get a high score.
            但如果这个句子复杂点,怎么办?To get a high score, we do a lot of practices and analyze the questions.
We do a lot of practices and analyze the questions, to get a high score.
这个时候,注意第2句话,"to get a high score"前面就有个逗号。
你来试试不加逗号啥效果:
We do a lot of practices and analyze the questions to get a high score.
什么叫做"questions to get a high score"? 很多名词后面都可以加infinitive来修饰,比如"attempt to do it" "courage to take on the challenge".....那我能否把这"questions to get a high score"当作一个整体,搅尽脑汁去理解呢?
相信你明白我的意思了。我想说的是,如果我们把"to get a high score"放到句子末尾,就要加逗号,以方便读者的理解,照顾一下我可怜的脑细胞。这就是说为什么GMAT强调的是effective expression.

“但是commma+不定式不是错的么”
我想说,从来就没有这个规则!"comma + infinitive"作adverbial modifier 在英语里很普遍,比如就我上面那个句子:
We do a lot of practices and analyze the questions, to get a high score.

第30题,我觉得是说,这里"to protect"不能作为adverbial modifier,因此就不能用刚才说到的"comma + infinitive"这个adverbial modifier的结构。
为什么不能作adverbial modifier? 因为adverbial modifier是修饰的整个sentence/clause的意思.
这个句子主干:
Shields were essential items of military equipment.
所以"to protect"和这个句子不搭调。

如果你非要用逗号后面加"to protect",那我造这个句子:
Members of Ashanti nation developed shields as essential items of military equipment, to protect ....
你看,这个句子的主干,是:
Members developed shields.
Question: why did they develop shields?  Answer: To protect ....
Because "to protect ..." answers the "why" question, it is regarded as an adverbial modifier.

判断能否作为adverbial modifier,有个简单的办法,就是像我上面那样提问,看能否answer the how/why/where/when questions.

当你这么检验的时候,你就会发现
"to protect" CANNOT answer the how/why/where/when questions for "Shields were essential items of military equipment".

作者: bejamin1111    时间: 2013-7-28 15:14
OG 上做一次错一次的题目:
Laos has a land area about the same as Great Britain but only four million in population, where many are members of hill tribes ensconced in the virtually inaccessible mountain valleys of the north.
A about the same as Great Britain but only four million in population, where many
L的面积和国家比,错;where的用法错
B of about the same size as Great Britain is, but in Laos there is a population of only four million, and many
L的面积和国家比,错;there be句型的使用wordy,imprecise;
C that is about the same size as Great Britain's land area, but in Laos with a population of only four million people, many of them
that is的使用imprecise,size的使用不好,最好是比较的都是land area,Great Britain's land area中的land area的重复使用累赘;them无指代,them应该指代L或者GB某个国家的人,但是这里没有合适的先行词
D comparable to the size of Great Britain, but only four million in population, and many
size没有land area好,* "4 million in population" is not idiomatic. * it's not clear to what "many" refers. * "and" is an inappropriate transition;
it suggests that there is no essential connection between "many..." and the previous mention of population.
- this is hard to think about at first, because this is the way it's done in spoken language. for instance:
spoken language: there were 50 women, and many of them were brunettes. --> this is considered incorrect in written language.
written language: there were 50 women, many of whom were brunettes.

E comparable to that of Great Britain but a population of only four million people, many of whom
正确;that指代land area
作者: 木以晨夕    时间: 2013-7-28 15:45
有毅力, 顶!!!
作者: bejamin1111    时间: 2013-7-28 16:35
【1】pronounce sth. sth.(no AS)
【2】it做形式主语:
Sometimes we need to move an awkward subject or object to the back of the sentence. In these cases, we put an it in the sentence where the subject or object used to be. We call this use of it “Placeholder It”. Do not look for a noun antecedent for a Placeholder It.

(1) Postpone Infinitive Subjects

(2) Postpone That-Clause Subjects

(3) Postpone infinitive or That-Clause Objects
it做形式主语的时候不指代任何东西(这个知识点是新的!我之前以为会指代to do结构)

THE ONLY PRONOUNS ON THE GMAT THAT DON'T HAVE TO STAND FOR NOUNS:

It + description+ that +complete sentence (independent clause)
It + description+ to +verb (infinitive)
It + (TOBE verb) + NOUN t做形式主语的时候不指代任何东西(这个知识点是新的!我之前以为会指代to do结构)

THE ONLY PRONOUNS ON THE GMAT THAT DON'T HAVE TO STAND FOR NOUNS:
【3】and also的问题
关于在prep中出现的and also句式的解释:
and also在列举的时候多余,不过在also有时候是作为强调而且不用在列举中不一定多余(and also还有一种情况下是redundant的:both X and also Y);
对于这题的解释中,prep并没有指出and also的问题,应该这不是一个split的点,遇到这类搭配不能马上排除
【4】The report recommended that the hospital should eliminate unneeded beds, consolidate expensive services , and use space in other hospitals.
should多余,因为前面是recommendation;
【5】关于Ved的用法:Ron的解答(必须看,强悍到无法!!!)
“ved” modifier could refer either to the subject or to the noun before; you'll have to use context to figure it out.

e.g.
Joe turned to face the audience, flushed with fear --> correct sentence; modifier modifies "Joe"

Joe will fight his next bout against Malik, renowned for his fierce left jab --> correct sentence; in this kind of (somewhat ambiguous) construction, the usual convention is that "renowned" modifies "Malik", not "Joe".

i don't think you really have to worry about these kinds of modifiers very much; experience shows that they are hardly tested at all on the real test.
【6】the fact that一般在GMAT考试中被判为赘余;用it做形式主语更好。that引导的主语从句很可疑,注意!
作者: bejamin1111    时间: 2013-7-29 11:19
【1】"INCLUDING" is an EXCEPTION to the otherwise robust rules for comma+ing modifiers.

when you see "comma + including", you should think of "including" as a preposition, not as an -ing modifier. therefore, "including X" will become a prepositional phrase that describes the stuff preceding the comma.
【2】在肯定句式中,doubt后面+whether
在否定句式中,doubt后面+that

manhattan中关于doubt的idioms用法:
Right:We DO NOT DOUBT THAT the apples are ripe.
       We HAVE NO DOUBT THAT the apples are ripe.
       She DOUBTS WHETHER Jan will arrive on time.
【3】过去完成时的使用条件:1.发生在句子中某个过去事件之前;2.并且与这个事情有联系;缺一不可; open to discussion.
【4】means: as a means to; by means of
作者: bejamin1111    时间: 2013-7-29 11:47
【1】纠结的过去完成时;
A 1972 agreement between Canada and the United States reduced the amount of phosphates that municipalities are allowed to dump into the Great Lakes.
要减少的是将来的量,不是过去已经倾倒的量,这个无法改变;举例:
(A) In 2010, I decided to reduce the number of calories that I had eaten. (prior to 2010??? How can I retroactively do this?)
2010年的时候我决定去减少我之前吃进去的卡路里的量...逆天了,已经吃进去怎么减,难道。。
(D) In 2010, I decided to reduce the number of calories that I ate/eat (from that point forward)
【2】GMAT中最好不要用介词结束一句话,最好将这个介词提前到比如说定语从句关系代词之前
作者: bejamin1111    时间: 2013-7-29 17:01
木以晨夕 发表于 2013-7-28 15:45
有毅力, 顶!!!

thx
作者: enkyklios    时间: 2013-7-29 21:21
已经总结这么多啦
作者: bejamin1111    时间: 2013-7-30 10:34
enkyklios 发表于 2013-7-29 21:21
已经总结这么多啦

是啊,赶紧完吧
作者: bejamin1111    时间: 2013-7-30 10:51
【1】关于which是否能够引导限制性定从
OG13第12题给出的解释是,which一般情况下引导非限制从句,但是是否能够引导限制性从句,是controversial的,所以,所以GMAT中应该不会出现which引导限定性从句的选项,如果有,那么就不要选这个有争议的用法;

作者: bejamin1111    时间: 2013-7-31 11:50
【1】关于比较的几个正确的idioms(from OG13)
in contrast with x, y; in contrast to x, y; unlike x, y;
其中xy必须语法上和逻辑都平行;
【2】estimate at/to be
* "at" is a preposition.
* prepositions must be followed by nouns.
* "xxx number of years old" is not a noun.

作者: bejamin1111    时间: 2013-8-11 22:27
To be or not to be , there is always an end. I'm nobody. Take it easy, fighting!
作者: babygogogo    时间: 2013-12-25 17:19
dingding .....
作者: bejamin1111    时间: 2014-7-22 23:19
Maybe and perhaps are interchangeable; perhaps is slightly more formal.
作者: bejamin1111    时间: 2014-7-24 00:01
Correct idioms for such a contrast include in contrast with x, y; in contrast to x, y; and unlike x, y.
作者: bejamin1111    时间: 2014-7-24 00:18
The -ing form of a verb can be used as a noun (e.g., running is her favorite sport), but it is often awkward, particularly when used with a possessive, as in this case.
作者: bejamin1111    时间: 2014-7-27 00:05
新东方讲义摘要(有些点有点太绝对):
双重所有格a of b’s永远错
From…up/down to… 语义重复
名词取代代词是正确答案出现的标志
2000 years as old as… Χ
强烈语气要保持
any(任何一个)+[c]n单数;any(some否定形式) +n / [c]ns
attmpt to try 语义重复
attempt(v/n) to do
base/compare 常用done形式
With…used/ By…used啰嗦
apply > applicability
动词>形容词>抽象名词>分词动名词>从句
分词动名词>从句
  sth done > sth that be done
soar/raise/rise/increase/grow连用语义重复
estimate sth to be
  it is estimated that…
  than estimated
/anticipated/predicted/expected
  estimate sth at +价格(干扰选项)
being 永远错(99%)
  特例
介词+being+ done/adj.
is/ was+being+done
without their being grounded..
介词+ sth+ doing笨拙
Students each have/has a book.

Each of the students have/has
a book.

作者: bejamin1111    时间: 2014-7-27 00:12
every   one  永远错 everyone
be attributed as the cause of 语义重复 正确: be attributed to
maybe永远错(这个有点吊) 正确   perhaps/ probably
there be done 非法
时态统一原则及特例
   一句话中,现在时态和过去时态不能混用
   现在时态:一般现在时,现在进行时   
                     现在完成时,一般将来时
   过去时态:一般过去时,过去进行时   
                     过去完成时,过去将来时
some+  n  强调整体
   some of+ n 强调部分

作者: bejamin1111    时间: 2014-8-10 22:58
remember the order of the 3 'c's in the hierarchy of sentence correction: 1, correctness; 2, clarity; 3, concision.
作者: bejamin1111    时间: 2014-11-4 14:32
misplaced modifier, dangling modifier, squinting modifier的区别:
1. M;
Confusion: He barely kicked that ball twenty yards.  
Repair Work: He kicked that ball barely twenty yards.
2.D;
Confusion: Changing the oil every 3,000 miles, the car seemed to run better.  
Repair Work: Changing the oil every 3,000 miles, Fred found he could get much better gas mileage.
Confusion: To keep the young recruits interested in getting in shape, an exercise program was set up for the summer months.
Repair Work: To keep the young recruits interested in getting in shape, the coaching staff set up an exercise program for the summer months.  

3. S;
Confusion: Students who seek their instructors' advice often can improve their grades.  
【do the students seek advice frequently or can they frequently improve their grades by seeking advice? 】
Repair Work: Student who often seek their instructors' advice can improve their grades.  
Repair Work: Students who seek their instructors' advice can often improve their grades.  

作者: 油闹家    时间: 2016-8-6 14:26
看一下!               

欢迎光临 ChaseDream (https://forum.chasedream.com/) Powered by Discuz! X3.3