ChaseDream

标题: 跳跃指代又覆三观了啊!求教大NN献身SC D40! [打印本页]

作者: shirryzhan    时间: 2012-8-18 16:11
标题: 跳跃指代又覆三观了啊!求教大NN献身SC D40!
40. In 1995 Richard Stallman, a well-known critic of the patent system, testified in Patent Office hearings that, to test the system, a colleague of his had managed to win a patent for one of Kirchhoff’s laws, an observation about electric current first made in 1845 and now included in virtually every textbook of elementary physics.

(A) laws, an observation about electric current first made in 1845 and
(B) laws, which was an observation about electric current first made in 1845 and it is
(C) laws, namely, it was an observation about electric current first made in 1845 and
(D) laws, an observation about electric current first made in 1845, it is
(E) laws that was an observation about electric current, first made in 1845, and is
答案是A,同位语句-平行、简洁、句意完整   我没有疑惑
E:  a colleague of his had managed to win a patent for one of Kirchhoff’s laws that  was an observation about electric current, first made in 1845, and is now included in virtually every textbook of elementary physics
但是E的解释我不懂: 'That appears to refer to laws rather than one'  
跳跃修饰:A of B that + modifier    修饰对象一般是A不是?! 为什么OG说that指代的是laws不是one?
难道GMAC不知道跳跃修饰?!!  还是说跳跃修饰这个语法点本身就不被GMAC正式承认?

求牛牛现身。。!!!
作者: ziningluo    时间: 2012-8-18 16:27
A of B that + modifier    修饰对象是B

THE A of B that + modifier或者THE only A of B that + modifier修饰对象才是A
作者: shirryzhan    时间: 2012-8-18 16:50
翻了下MANT P234页 有个关于mission-critical modifier的介绍 就是说 跳跃修饰的 给了例句
His way of dodging opponents that impressed the scouts.
MANT里说 that 指代的是整个way of dodging opponents,

如果按你所说 没有冠词在A前时  B后的modifier修饰的是整个A of B, 不是A吧?!
你的关于冠词的回答又颠覆了我三观。。果然学海无涯!

A of B that + modifier    修饰对象是B

THE A of B that + modifier或者THE only A of B that + modifier修饰对象才是A
-- by 会员 ziningluo (2012/8/18 16:27:36)

作者: xinyya08    时间: 2012-8-18 17:42
在og里, a of b that,that修饰a和b 的例子都有的,还是要看具体的意思,举个例子:

The list of animals that exhibits a preference of either using the right or the left hand (i.e., claw, paw, or foot) has been expanded to include the lower vertebrates.
(A) exhibits a preference of either using the right or the left hand (i.e., claw, paw, or foot) has been expanded to include
(B) exhibits the preference to use either the right or the left hand (i.e., claw, paw, or foot) has been expanded and includes
(C) exhibit a preference in either using the right or the left hand (i.e., claw, paw, or foot) has been expanded to include
(D) exhibit a preference for using either the right or the left hand (i.e., claw, paw, or foot) has been expanded to include
(E) exhibit the preference as to either using the right or the left hand (i.e., claw, paw, or foot) has been expanded and includes  
这个that修饰谁呢?答案D!that是修饰animals 只有动物才会exhibit a preference of either using the right or the left hand ,list怎么会exhibits a preference of either using the right or the left hand 呢

2Og10-168. Today, because of improvements in agricultural technology, the same amount of acreage produces double the apples that it has in 1910.
(A)  double the apples that it has
(B)  twice as many apples as it did
(C)  as much as twice the apples it has
(D)  two times as many apples as there were
(E)   a doubling of the apples that it did
E is illogical: since that refers to a doubling, E nonsensically asserts that the doubling occurred in 1910.
作者: xinyya08    时间: 2012-8-18 17:43
但是我做题目下来,觉得一般都是修饰B的
作者: shirryzhan    时间: 2012-8-18 19:33
所以还是得先看逻辑意思,如果逻辑意思判断不出来就默认指代B了,是这样吧?!

在og里, a of b that,that修饰a和b 的例子都有的,还是要看具体的意思,举个例子:

The list of animals that exhibits a preference of either using the right or the left hand (i.e., claw, paw, or foot) has been expanded to include the lower vertebrates.
(A) exhibits a preference of either using the right or the left hand (i.e., claw, paw, or foot) has been expanded to include
(B) exhibits the preference to use either the right or the left hand (i.e., claw, paw, or foot) has been expanded and includes
(C) exhibit a preference in either using the right or the left hand (i.e., claw, paw, or foot) has been expanded to include
(D) exhibit a preference for using either the right or the left hand (i.e., claw, paw, or foot) has been expanded to include
(E) exhibit the preference as to either using the right or the left hand (i.e., claw, paw, or foot) has been expanded and includes  
这个that修饰谁呢?答案D!that是修饰animals 只有动物才会exhibit a preference of either using the right or the left hand ,list怎么会exhibits a preference of either using the right or the left hand 呢

2Og10-168. Today, because of improvements in agricultural technology, the same amount of acreage produces double the apples that it has in 1910.
(A)  double the apples that it has
(B)  twice as many apples as it did
(C)  as much as twice the apples it has
(D)  two times as many apples as there were
(E)   a doubling of the apples that it did
E is illogical: since that refers to a doubling, E nonsensically asserts that the doubling occurred in 1910.
-- by 会员 xinyya08 (2012/8/18 17:42:42)

作者: leonnong    时间: 2012-10-7 15:33
40. In 1995 Richard Stallman, a well-known critic of the patent system, testified in Patent Office hearings that, to test the system, a colleague of his had managed to win a patent for one of Kirchhoff’s laws, an observation about electric current first made in 1845 and now included in virtually every textbook of elementary physics.

(B) laws, which was an observation about electric current first made in 1845 and it is
(C) laws, namely, it was an observation about electric current first made in 1845 and
(D) laws, an observation about electric current first made in 1845, it is
(E) laws that was an observation about electric current, first made in 1845, and is
答案是A,同位语句-平行、简洁、句意完整   我没有疑惑
E:  a colleague of his had managed to win a patent for one of Kirchhoff’s laws that  was an observation about electric current, first made in 1845, and is now included in virtually every textbook of elementary physics
但是E的解释我不懂: 'That appears to refer to laws rather than one'  
跳跃修饰:A of B that + modifier    修饰对象一般是A不是?! 为什么OG说that指代的是laws不是one?
难道GMAC不知道跳跃修饰?!!  还是说跳跃修饰这个语法点本身就不被GMAC正式承认?

求牛牛现身。。!!!
-- by 会员 shirryzhan (2012/8/18 16:11:42)

这里的that不是修饰laws而是修饰one of Kirchhoff’s laws
A of B that结构中that修饰谁是由that后面的谓语决定的!~如果A是单数,B是复数的,而that后面接的是单数谓语,那么that就修饰A!~
这个题目E没有错~只是没有A简洁!~
理由我引用外国论坛一位老师原话:

Two reasons to pick A over E:

If two answer choices seem ok, but one is wordier and longer, pick the shorter answer choice.

A is shorter than E, so A is a better and safer answer choice.

If you're stuck between A and another answer choice, and you can't spot a definite error in A, eliminate the other answer choice and pick A.

Sticking with the original sentence is safer.

One more thing. Each of the following is grammatically correct:

A) Lady Gaga, who is a very popular singer, tours the world often.

In the sentence above, the pronoun who refers to Lady Gaga.

B) Lady Gaga, a very popular singer, tours the world often.

In the sentence above, the noun phrase a very popular singer is in apposition to Lady Gaga.

Notice that answer choice B is shorter. Using the appositive construction instead of the pronoun construction saves a few words and makes the sentence shorter.

All things being equal, shorter is better.

So answer choice B is the better -- and safer -- answer choice.

Hope this helps!
作者: xueluanfei    时间: 2012-11-24 06:32
我倒是对fist made and now included的平行很疑惑。这两个是都省略了 which was吗。。。感觉应该用被动啊。。求指点
作者: cyuyolanda    时间: 2013-4-8 19:08
xueluanfei 发表于 2012-11-24 06:32
我倒是对fist made and now included的平行很疑惑。这两个是都省略了 which was吗。。。感觉应该用被动啊。 ...

是两个并列的过去分词结构修饰名词吧
作者: Apolloemma    时间: 2013-6-20 14:40

我排除E的理由和大家很不一样。我认为that clause 是限制性从句,也就是说 在很多的 Kirchhoff's laws 里面,相对于别的laws, 这个law 是什么?强调的是相对于别的Kirchhoff's laws, 这个law的特殊性是什么?是做一种选择。
而用一个同位语,则是直接在补充定义这个law 是什么?是在做一种补充定义。

作者: kiwifoodtown    时间: 2013-6-20 15:06
的确,GMAT里更趋近于严格要求that作临近修饰,所以会有这样的解释。虽然,E选项在修饰上的问题并不大。我反而觉得,E选项的结构的问题很大。
作者: bejamin1111    时间: 2013-7-23 12:53
leonnong 发表于 2012-10-7 15:33
40. In 1995 Richard Stallman, a well-known critic of the patent system, testified in Patent Offic ...

如果后面的谓语动词看不出单复数呢?比如是一般过去时形式...所以我支持楼上根据逻辑判断的说法,这个和which的指代也是一个道理
作者: nan_92    时间: 2013-12-8 20:24
Apolloemma 发表于 2013-6-20 14:40
40. In 1995 Richard Stallman, a well-known critic of the patent system, testified in Patent Office h ...

赞!!用逻辑解释SC
作者: yuany301    时间: 2014-3-14 20:49
Apolloemma 发表于 2013-6-20 14:40
40. In 1995 Richard Stallman, a well-known critic of the patent system, testified in Patent Office h ...

赞一个,根据原意为王啊!刚才还一直纠结这道题的which和that问题上的说
作者: godsinger831    时间: 2014-4-27 23:05
ding
这道题还是不是很明白。
为什么b选项解释是 WHICH is ambiguous because it could refer to one or laws
e就变成了,THAT appears to refer to laws rather than one.
有什么区别吗?球解释

欢迎光临 ChaseDream (https://forum.chasedream.com/) Powered by Discuz! X3.3