ChaseDream

标题: OG 256 [打印本页]

作者: lost_my_account    时间: 2004-7-11 10:25
标题: OG 256

256. The nephew of Pliny the Elder wrote the only eyewitness account of the great eruption of Vesuvius in two letters to the historian Tacitus.

(A) The nephew of Pliny the Elder wrote the only eyewitness account of the great eruption of Vesuvius in two letters to the historian Tacitus.

(B) To the historian Tacitus, the nephew of Pliny the Elder wrote two letters, being the only eyewitness accounts of the great eruption of Vesuvius.

(C) The only eyewitness account is in two letters by the nephew of Pliny the Elder writing to the historian Tacitus an account of the great eruption of Vesuvius.

(D) Writing the only eyewitness account, Pliny the Elder’s nephew accounted for the great eruption of Vesuvius in two letters to the historian Tacitus.E

(E) In two letters to the historian Tacitus, the nephew of Pliny the Elder wrote the only eyewitness account of the great eruption of Vesuvius

我们看对B不正确的解释:

In B, the verb phrase that begins being the only eyewitness accounts modifies the subject of the preceding clause, suggesting nonsensically that the nephew of Pliny the Elder himself was the eyewitness accounts. Furthermore, To the historian Tacitus, the nephew... wrote two letters is unnecessarily clumsy.

请问,如果一个逗号后跟一个doing从句,它修饰什么词?我怎么觉得这里being the only eyewitness accounts 是做定语,修饰wrote two letters呢。。。

作者: lost_my_account    时间: 2004-7-11 10:30

259. Five fledgling sea eagles left their nests in western Scotland this summer, bringing to 34 the number of wild birds successfully raised since transplants from Norway began in 1975.

(A) bringing

(B) and brings

(C) and it brings

(D) and it broughtA

(E) and brought

这里,bringing是做什么成分的。状语吗?它的主语是哪一个?

[此贴子已经被作者于2004-7-11 10:33:59编辑过]

作者: rt316    时间: 2004-7-11 11:08

逗号+现分 这种结构如果前面是个句子,那么优先考虑其作为状语,修饰主句动作,分词动作的实施者一般是主句主语;如果前面仅仅是一个名词结构,那么,分词做定语。

两个例子都证明上述观点。

[此贴子已经被作者于2004-7-11 11:09:58编辑过]

作者: lost_my_account    时间: 2004-7-11 11:29

thanks

作者: summersmile    时间: 2004-10-23 03:05

可是256ets认为being...是修饰前面句子的主语而不是修饰wrote two letters?

作者: hougang    时间: 2004-11-16 13:51
是啊,stoneren斑竹在前面以前的帖子总结到过,being是修饰前面句子的主语,而不是和它最近的宾语。所以,being这里修饰的是the nephew of Pliny the Elder 。
作者: hougang    时间: 2004-12-26 20:31

Furthermore, To the historian Tacitus, the nephew... wrote two letters is unnecessarily clumsy.

请问这里,是不是说write sth to sb是错误的表达方法,谢谢!!

作者: hougang    时间: 2004-12-26 21:56
upupup
作者: tianwan    时间: 2004-12-26 23:23

如果你说 I wrote 2 letters to him. 没问题。

但是如果你说 To him, I wrote 2 letters. 美国人会觉得很奇怪,没有必要把to him 提前,还有个逗号跟着。

中文:“我给他写了2封信。”这是没问题的。

但是如果你硬要说:“给他,我写了2封信。”是不是就会让别人觉得很奇怪。

作者: weichenli    时间: 2005-8-22 17:16

just remember EST won't use this structure "TO..., sv..."

I got a question :

E) In two letters to the hisorian Tacitus, the nephew of pliny the elder wrote the only eyewitness account of the great eruption of vesuvius

doesn't it sound like "the nephew" is IN TWO letters??

anyone can help please? thanks!

作者: weichenli    时间: 2005-8-22 17:21

also C) the only eyewitness acouunt is in two letters by the nephew.....

OG says: the meaning of the sentence is unclear (the only eyewitness account of what?)

However I don't see why "account" by itself is unclear

EX. my bank account.

The only member account.

Does this mean that whenever we see Account in OG, it has to be followed by "of" in order to make it clear?

thanks!

作者: weichenli    时间: 2005-8-25 18:56
please up up~~thanks
作者: z520m    时间: 2005-8-25 20:11

"account" is so unclear. if you want to make the sentence, it should follow a subject. account is what? there is no subject! if no subject, the "by" modifies nothing? i'm not good at sc, so just open to discuss.

作者: weichenli    时间: 2005-8-30 19:42
以下是引用weichenli在2005-8-22 17:16:00的发言:

I got a question :

E) In two letters to the hisorian Tacitus, the nephew of pliny the elder wrote the only eyewitness account of the great eruption of vesuvius

up please! 还有这题我怎么看A都觉得 in two letters 是可以理解的阿?

作者: weichenli    时间: 2005-9-22 15:44

A 我看出來了

i checked "Account" usage http://www.freesearch.co.uk/dictionary/account

It has mulitple meaning, so can I conclude that Account here means "report"? and therefore needs Of to clarify what?

In sum, can I conlcude that whenever we see "account" used in GMAT with similar meaning, we need OF?

Or can any NN gives a deeper explanation ? thanks!

作者: weichenli    时间: 2005-10-3 01:06
以下是引用weichenli在2005-9-22 15:44:00的发言:

A 我看出來了

It has mulitple meaning, so can I conclude that Account here means "report"? and therefore needs Of to clarify what?

In sum, can I conlcude that whenever we see "account" used in GMAT with similar meaning, we need OF?

當ACCOUNT 有類似report 的意思..而不是單純戶頭的意思時, 最好加"OF" 有沒有人確認一下呢? 謝謝!

作者: fuyun    时间: 2005-10-17 23:48
以下是引用weichenli在2005-8-22 17:16:00的发言:

just remember EST won't use this structure "TO..., sv..."

I got a question :

up,up

有没有人给讲讲,同问

作者: lynnli    时间: 2005-11-3 20:18
in two letters...是介词结构在句首做整个句子的状语,不会产生歧义,做名词定语的介词结构往往放在名词之后。
作者: goodwish    时间: 2006-1-1 16:44
以下是引用weichenli在2005-10-3 1:06:00的发言:

Yes, your understanding is correct.

作者: baobaob    时间: 2006-2-14 04:13
以下是引用rt316在2004-7-11 11:08:00的发言:

两个例子都证明上述观点。

有例子吗?

作者: amy7777    时间: 2006-10-5 13:30

可是256ets认为being...是修饰前面句子的主语而不是修饰wrote two letters?

是啊,stoneren斑竹在前面以前的帖子总结到过,being是修饰前面句子的主语,而不是和它最近的宾语。所以,being这里修饰的是the nephew of Pliny the Elder

also C) the only eyewitness acouunt is in two letters by the nephew.....

OG says: the meaning of the sentence is unclear (the only eyewitness account of what?)

However I don't see why "account" by itself is unclear

EX. my bank account.

The only member account.

Does this mean that whenever we see Account in OG, it has to be followed by "of" in order to make it clear?

thanks!

account" is so unclear. if you want to make the sentence, it should follow a subject. account is what? there is no subject! if no subject, the "by" modifies nothing? i'm not good at sc, so just open to discuss.

以下是引用weichenli在2005-9-22 15:44:00的发言:

A 我看出來了

以下是引用weichenli在2005-10-3 1:06:00的发言:

Yes, your understanding is correct.

作者: amy7777    时间: 2006-10-5 13:53
以下是引用lost_my_account在2004-7-11 10:25:00的发言:

256. The nephew of Pliny the Elder wrote the only eyewitness account of the great eruption of Vesuvius in two letters to the historian Tacitus.

(A) The nephew of Pliny the Elder wrote the only eyewitness account of the great eruption of Vesuvius in two letters to the historian Tacitus.

(B) To the historian Tacitus, the nephew of Pliny the Elder wrote two letters, being the only eyewitness accounts of the great eruption of Vesuvius.

(C) The only eyewitness account is in two letters by the nephew of Pliny the Elder writing to the historian Tacitus an account of the great eruption of Vesuvius.

(D) Writing the only eyewitness account, Pliny the Elder’s nephew accounted for the great eruption of Vesuvius in two letters to the historian Tacitus.E

(E) In two letters to the historian Tacitus, the nephew of Pliny the Elder wrote the only eyewitness account of the great eruption of Vesuvius

D  An account is a narrative recordto account for means to be the cause off using both words in the same sentence is confusing and here suggests that the nephew caused the eruptionthe sentence also suggests that the eruption of Vesuvius took place in the letters themselves

上面的是OG对于D选项的解释,我没有看懂。怎么想也想不明白。还有这个account  OG 说是narrative record的意思,是不是就是report的意思呢。

请大家帮忙看看这道题啊。谢谢。

作者: lysluo    时间: 2006-10-6 10:35

narrative record,叙述性的记录。

(D) Writing the only eyewitness account, Pliny the Elder's nephew accounted for the great eruption of Vesuvius in two letters to the historian Tacitus.

account for 有很多解释,用在这里很含糊,朗文字典的解释是:

account for something

1。to form a particular amount or part of something
Afro-Americans account for 12% of the US population.

2。to be the reason why something happens
ᅳsynonym explainRecent pressure at work may account for his behavior.

3。to give a satisfactory explanation of why something has happened or why you did something
ᅳsynonym explainCan you account for your movements on that night?

4。to say where all the members of a group of people or things are, especially because you are worried that some of them may be lost
Three days after the earthquake, more than 150 people had still to be accounted for.

作者原意是表示“解释”,但在这里,很容易被理解为“对什么负责”,而且“in two letters to the historian Tacitus
”紧跟在“the great eruption of Vesuvius ”之后,听上去就好像火山爆发是发生在信里的一样,很滑稽。

mm有疑问的时候多查朗文字典吧(CD上有下载),很多英汉词典解释比较偏颇,很难保证对词汇的完整理解,尤其是词组。:)

作者: amy7777    时间: 2006-10-6 13:38

narrative record,叙述性的记录

就字解字我本来也是这样想的,可是看了大家的这一题的讨论贴都说的是report,后来我就想是不是写了二封信在信里汇报了。

to account for means to be the

cause off
using both words in the same sentence is confusing and here suggests that the nephew caused the eruption

这个我被be the cause off弄迷糊了,我想着是不是印错了,应该是be the cause of ??

这道题倒是已经花了时间弄明白了。就这个小细节了。

多谢lysluo---我的战友。

作者: 期待蔚蓝    时间: 2006-11-5 19:39

那E的 account of 什么意思啊?字典里面没查出来,只给了个例句

He was too shocked to give an account of what had happened.

作者: jiarjia    时间: 2008-9-2 09:57

為了想這題, 花了好多時間解

這題怎麼那麼煩阿~~

[此贴子已经被作者于2008-9-2 10:02:00编辑过]

作者: watergood    时间: 2009-4-20 05:07

简单总结一下:

A-in two letters 是做后置定语修饰 the great eruption of Vesuvius 还是做状语修饰wrote,不清楚,产生歧义。

B-逗号+现分这种结构如果前面是个句子,那么优先考虑其作为状语,修饰主句动作,分词动作的实施者一般是主句主语;如果前面仅仅是一个名词结构,那么,分词做定语。因此修饰错误。

C-account的含义不清晰,后面需要加上of进行说明

D- account 作者原意是表示“解释”,但在这里,很容易被理解为“对什么负责”, 而且“in two letters to the historian Tacitus”紧跟在“the great eruption of Vesuvius ”之后,听上去就好像火山爆发是发生在信里的一样,很滑稽。

E-in two letters不会产生修饰the nephew of Pliny the Elder 的歧义,要不然我们如何理解下面的例子:In 1977,she was born.总不能理解为:她在1977年吧;状语本来就是修饰谓语的,怎么可以跟主语扯上关系。

[此贴子已经被作者于2009-4-20 5:11:31编辑过]

作者: elaine1031    时间: 2009-7-7 00:51
up

欢迎光临 ChaseDream (https://forum.chasedream.com/) Powered by Discuz! X3.3