ChaseDream

标题: Kellogg MBA / MMM 2012, 1-Y MBA 2011, JDMBA 2013 - Taking Questions [打印本页]

作者: zonia    时间: 2010-7-13 17:07
标题: Kellogg MBA / MMM 2012, 1-Y MBA 2011, JDMBA 2013 - Taking Questions
Hi all,

We are the incoming students of Kellogg School of Management, for MBA / MMM Class of 2012, 1-Y MBA Class of 2011 and JDMBA Class of 2013 (a 3-year, joint program). And we are willing to share our understanding about the programs and take your questions. Please feel free to post your questions and we'll try our best to provide our insights.

Best of luck to your applications!

Reference Links:

Kellogg MBA学生在线分享 – 文字实录 (2010年8月21日)
http://forum.chasedream.com/North_American_MBA/thread-478514-1-1.html
作者: lu31tw    时间: 2010-7-13 17:15
親愛的同學發聲了, 先來頂一下!
作者: zhangyi0702    时间: 2010-7-13 17:17
2012是指在2010申请到2012开学的学期吗?请问这样是否可行,本人真好有计划2011去申请2013的,谢谢啊
作者: zonia    时间: 2010-7-13 17:19
标题: An "official" introduction with academic programs
First of all, just give an "official" introduction with all the programs:
http://www.kellogg.northwestern.edu/Programs/FullTimeMBA/MBA_Programs.aspx

MBA Programs

The Kellogg School of Management has a Full-Time MBA option tailored to your needs, interests and business experience. Whichever program you choose, you are assured of an unparalleled education led by our award-winning faculty, and you will be immersed in the distinctive Kellogg culture of innovation and collaboration.
Students in these programs are 28 years of age on average and have a diverse range of full-time work experience and backgrounds. Like our 2Y students, applicants to the accelerated or dual-degree full-time programs (1Y, MMM, JD-MBA) are expected to have exceptional quantitative skills.
A one-credit global course requirement provides a formal framework, through approved courses or exchange programs, for integrating global management and leadership issues.
Two-Year (2Y) MBA
One-Year (1Y) MBA
The MMM Program
JD-MBA (3 year program)

作者: zonia    时间: 2010-7-13 17:22
2012是指在2010申请到2012开学的学期吗?请问这样是否可行,本人真好有计划2011去申请2013的,谢谢啊
-- by 会员 zhangyi0702 (2010/7/13 17:17:27)

For MBA / MMM: Class of 2012, graduates in June 2012, have its application season from Aug 2009 - May 2010, and application season for Class of 2013 would be starting from August 2010 to May 2011.

For JDMBA: Class of 2013, graduates in June 2013, have its application season from Aug 2009 - May 2010, and application season for Class of 2014 would be starting from August 2010 to May 2011.

So, if you would like to apply for a course starts in 2013, you should be a Class of 2015 applicant.
作者: onestepatime    时间: 2010-7-13 17:53
支持Zonia, 支持Kellogg.. .. Vuvuzela...55555555!!!!!!!!!!
作者: flycolors    时间: 2010-7-13 23:22
Re~~~~Thanks zonia again~~
作者: zonia    时间: 2010-7-14 05:15
Thanks for supporting us... I'm not the only admit to provide answers here... lu31tw and many other admits (thanks classmates!) are going to help too. We'd love to share our experience and knowledge about kellogg programs and the application procedures, and have more chinese admits in Kellogg for the years to come...

Good luck to all!
作者: sunjie38    时间: 2010-7-14 07:33
I am Kellogg 1Year Program student, already start the semester in Evanston@Chicago.
If anyone has questions about 1Y program, pls feel free to let me know. thanks!

Alex Jie SUN

MBA Candidate, Class of 2011

Kellogg School of Management | Northwestern University

Email: jsun2011@kellogg.northwestern.edu]jsun2011@kellog.northwestern.edu

作者: yvettezhang    时间: 2010-7-14 07:42
Support to Zonia!

This is Yvette from Kellogg 2012. Please be free to throw any question and thanks to your interest in Kellogg!
作者: afei0128    时间: 2010-7-19 09:20
这么早就开工了呀?我还没考T呢~
作者: whereisdream    时间: 2010-7-20 01:17
Hey, i have one concern. I noticed that Kellogg seems to neither provide non-consigner loan for international students according to the official website nor offer any scholarship to Chinese students based on the historial admission data. Is that saying we have to finance ourselves all by our own for entering Kellogg?
What kind of typical method did the the previous students solve this problem ? |
THanks so much !
作者: pragh    时间: 2010-7-20 09:17
I am Kellogg 1Year Program student, already start the semester in Evanston@Chicago.

Alex Jie SUN

请教下,这1年的项目除了网上的介绍外,你觉得和2年的区别是什么,当初你为什么申请这个项目?仅仅是因为会回到原单位吗?
作者: zonia    时间: 2010-7-20 10:43
Hey, i have one concern. I noticed that Kellogg seems to neither provide non-consigner loan for international students according to the official website nor offer any scholarship to Chinese students based on the historial admission data. Is that saying we have to finance ourselves all by our own for entering Kellogg?
What kind of typical method did the the previous students solve this problem ? |
THanks so much !
-- by 会员 whereisdream (2010/7/20 1:17:12)

Hello whereisdream,

Although there is no non-consigner loans, but NU/Kellogg do have loan program tailored for international students. You can get an international cosigner (only spouse is not allowed), the only cons for this loan is its interest would be higher, around 8% p.a. And for scholarship, Kellogg do provide scholarship for chinese students, I got a 35K scholarship for my studies in the JDMBA program.

Thank you for your question.

Zonia
作者: whereisdream    时间: 2010-7-20 11:47
标题: Thanks Zonia so much !
THanks so much !
-- by 会员 whereisdream (2010/7/20 1:17:12)

Hello whereisdream,

Although there is no non-consigner loans, but NU/Kellogg do have loan program tailored for international students. You can get an international cosigner (only spouse is not allowed), the only cons for this loan is its interest would be higher, around 8% p.a. And for scholarship, Kellogg do provide scholarship for chinese students, I got a 35K scholarship for my studies in the JDMBA program.

Thank you for your question.

Zonia
-- by 会员 zonia (2010/7/20 10:43:43)

Dear Zonia,

Thanks so much for your detail answer, which helps me and releases my concern a lot !!
It is me that didn't read the official website in detail but here I would like to further confirm

1) does it mean that anyone beside the spouse can be the international co-signer of mine? can my parents be ? Is there any perfernce in choosing of the co-signer?i.e. the financil status, the house collaterlization?

2) looking back to the albumi, at approxiately how much can we receive the NU Loan from Kellog? Up to the two year's tuition? how many of us Chinese students get the NU Loan in poportion?

thanks so much to you in advance
作者: ttoni    时间: 2010-7-20 15:28
Hi Zonia,

Interested in JD-MBA. Are there any other Chinese applicants enrolled in Northwestern JD-MBA program? If any, can you share their background information?
作者: zonia    时间: 2010-7-20 18:53
Dear Zonia,

Thanks so much for your detail answer, which helps me and releases my concern a lot !!
It is me that didn't read the official website in detail but here I would like to further confirm

1) does it mean that anyone beside the spouse can be the international co-signer of mine? can my parents be ? Is there any perfernce in choosing of the co-signer?i.e. the financil status, the house collaterlization?

2) looking back to the albumi, at approxiately how much can we receive the NU Loan from Kellog? Up to the two year's tuition? how many of us Chinese students get the NU Loan in poportion?

-- by 会员 whereisdream (2010/7/20 11:47:59)

Hi Whereisdream,

I'm glad to be able to help. Answers are below:
1) Yes, your parents can be your co-signer, just spouse is not allowed.
2) As far as I see, NU supplies around 50% of the total study cost (tuition, board, insurance and everything included), which means normally you'll need to supply the other half. But the school is committed to provide sufficient funding for you to enrol in the program, I'm quite sure you can bargain more if you have genuine needs.
** I got answer (2) while i discuss with the Financial Aid office (which i assume to be accurate~), i personally didn't apply financial aid myself. You may refer to later posts from my classmate

Good luck!

Zonia
作者: zonia    时间: 2010-7-20 19:05
Hi Zonia,

Interested in JD-MBA. Are there any other Chinese applicants enrolled in Northwestern JD-MBA program? If any, can you share their background information?
-- by 会员 ttoni (2010/7/20 15:28:39)

Hi ttoni,

Thanks for your interest in JDMBA program, it's a great bargain getting the best of both JD and MBA worlds. I didn't notice any other chinese admits for my intake, but traditionally, we have 3 - 5 candidate in East Asia (among the 28 - 30 space per year). Historically these spaces are divided among Chinese and Korean/Japanese.

With respect to backgrounds, the 28-30 of us comes from most diversified backgrounds, ranging from NGO, Military, Education, and of course the traditional MBA candidates like M&A, Consulting and IB. Since Kellogg take charge in recruiting (law school would take seat on screening), you can expect a very similar requirement, good GMAT (our average is slightly higher), mature personality and interesting professional experience. JDMBA would favour candidate with a real intention to leverage both worlds of knowledge in their future plans rather than "it's nice to have"-type of candidate.

Please let me know if you need further clarification. Good Luck!

Zonia
作者: gruntling    时间: 2010-7-20 19:13
请问贵校有没有专门healthcare/pharmaceutical 方向的?
我在网上查了一下,好像没有
是么?
请问您知道哪些学校有这样的program么?
作者: ttoni    时间: 2010-7-20 21:03
Hi Zonia,

-- by 会员 ttoni (2010/7/20 15:28:39)

Hi ttoni,

Thanks for your interest in JDMBA program, it's a great bargain getting the best of both JD and MBA worlds. I didn't notice any other chinese admits for my intake, but traditionally, we have 3 - 5 candidate in East Asia (among the 28 - 30 space per year). Historically these spaces are divided among Chinese and Korean/Japanese.

With respect to backgrounds, the 28-30 of us comes from most diversified backgrounds, ranging from NGO, Military, Education, and of course the traditional MBA candidates like M&A, Consulting and IB. Since Kellogg take charge in recruiting (law school would take seat on screening), you can expect a very similar requirement, good GMAT (our average is slightly higher), mature personality and interesting professional experience. JDMBA would favour candidate with a real intention to leverage both worlds of knowledge in their future plans rather than "it's nice to have"-type of candidate.

Please let me know if you need further clarification. Good Luck!

Zonia
-- by 会员 zonia (2010/7/20 19:05:15)

Hi Zonia,
Thank you for your clarification! What do you mean that law school takes seat on screening?
To give you some of my background. I'm a qualified lawyer and have been working for US law firms in Shanghai for four years. My practice focuses on VC, M&A and FDI. My GMAT is 760 but my LSAT is 162 (fortunately NU does not require LSAT). My college major is international politics so I became the lawyer through self study. I look forward to learning financial and managerial skills and combining my law and finance knowledge to future investment positions. My career goal is to manage sovereign wealth fund and to make strategic investment globally.
I will appreciate if you can give me some application advice from your experience and your thoughts on my background.
Thank you very much!
作者: zonia    时间: 2010-7-20 22:15
Hi Zonia,
Thank you for your clarification! What do you mean that law school takes seat on screening?
To give you some of my background. I'm a qualified lawyer and have been working for US law firms in Shanghai for four years. My practice focuses on VC, M&A and FDI. My GMAT is 760 but my LSAT is 162 (fortunately NU does not require LSAT). My college major is international politics so I became the lawyer through self study. I look forward to learning financial and managerial skills and combining my law and finance knowledge to future investment positions. My career goal is to manage sovereign wealth fund and to make strategic investment globally.
I will appreciate if you can give me some application advice from your experience and your thoughts on my background.
Thank you very much!
-- by 会员 ttoni (2010/7/20 21:03:59)

Hi ttoni,

By "taking seat on screening", I mean law school would participate in reading the files for every JDMBA applicant. From your background, one question that pops up on my mind is "Why JD?" if you are already qualified, I think you need to be real clear why you'll need a JD for that matter. Actually, you may consider a LLM / Kellogg, a 1-year program from both school if you wanna advance your legal knowledge (especially if you are not practicing in the states) as well as getting Kellogg's cutting edge business education. This might give you better edge (also saving time and money) in leveraging your legal experience as JD are basically for people with limited or no prior legal knowledge.

You may find the details for the LLM / Kellogg program in the link below:
http://www.law.northwestern.edu/graduate/llmkellogg/

I hope you'll find this helpful. Good luck!

Zonia
作者: zonia    时间: 2010-7-20 22:23
请问贵校有没有专门healthcare/pharmaceutical 方向的?
我在网上查了一下,好像没有
是么?
请问您知道哪些学校有这样的program么?
-- by 会员 gruntling (2010/7/20 19:13:04)

Hello gruntling,

我们学校也有healthcare方向的,叫 Health enterprise management, 这是它的连结: http://www.kellogg.northwestern.edu/academic/hema/index.htm

至于哪些学校有这样的program,其实healthcare在美国是挺热的,很多学校都有,你可以上US News & World Ranking看看。
http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-business-schools/rankings/specialties+program_health_care_admin

Good luck!

Zonia
作者: ttoni    时间: 2010-7-20 23:13
Zonia,

Common law and civil law are two different systems. In fact, some Chinese lawyers apply for JD and take the US bar exam after they practice Chinese law for a couple of years to become dual-qualified. I want a JD degree because I want to learn more about US laws and get a US bar. I want an MBA because I want to learn financial and management knowledge for pursuing an investment position in large funds which can apply my combination of legal, political and financial knowledge. So 3-year JD/MBA looks most attractive to me.

LLM/Kellogg looks nice, but I may not be eligible for US bar exam through the LLM study (because I have no first law degree in China). In addition, I think one year study is too short and may not achieve the career switch.

Many thanks for your thoughts and inputs!!!
作者: zonia    时间: 2010-7-20 23:19
Zonia,

Common law and civil law are two different systems. In fact, some Chinese lawyers apply for JD and take the US bar exam after they practice Chinese law for a couple of years to become dual-qualified. I want a JD degree because I want to learn more about US laws and get a US bar. I want an MBA because I want to learn financial and management knowledge for pursuing an investment position in large funds which can apply my combination of legal, political and financial knowledge. So 3-year JD/MBA looks most attractive to me.

LLM/Kellogg looks nice, but I may not be eligible for US bar exam through the LLM study (because I have no first law degree in China). In addition, I think one year study is too short and may not achieve the career switch.

-- by 会员 ttoni (2010/7/20 23:13:39)

Dear ttoni,

I do aware of the system difference, but if it's worth for investing additional three years time and cost is quite a personal choice so it'll be great if you do think JD is for you. As for bar exam, you can take NY bar with a LLM, you might research about it if you need. Anyways, it's always great to take a step forward, advancing yourself and your career.

If there is anything I can help, please let me know. Good luck!

Zonia
作者: onestepatime    时间: 2010-7-20 23:48
Dear Zonia,

-- by 会员 whereisdream (2010/7/20 11:47:59)

Hi Whereisdream,

I'm glad to be able to help. Answers are below:
1) Yes, your parents can be your co-signer, just spouse is not allowed.
2) As far as I see, NU supplies around 50% of the total study cost (tuition, board, insurance and everything included), which means normally you'll need to supply the other half. But the school is committed to provide sufficient funding for you to enrol in the program, I'm quite sure you can bargain more if you have genuine needs.
** I got answer (2) while i discuss with the Financial Aid office (which i assume to be accurate~), i personally didn't apply financial aid myself. You may refer to later posts from my classmate

Good luck!

Zonia
-- by 会员 zonia (2010/7/20 18:53:38)

Hi Whereisdream/Zonia,

Just add some points to the 2nd question
2) I think NU is committed to provide as much finacial aid as possible to international students, so long they demonstrate genuine financial needs. Technically, 100% loan on study cost is absolutely possible. I know some Chinese students take 70%, 80% of the total study cost. Those who come with family/spouses can even take more loan because of the additional family expenses occured. But in reality, many eligible international students are reluctant to take 100% study loan. Instead, they try to raise as much personal fund as possible to finance their study. Why? It is simply due to the high interest rates (annual rate @ 8% + one-off 4% admin fee) of the international co-signer loan.
作者: ttoni    时间: 2010-7-21 08:21
Zonia,

-- by 会员 ttoni (2010/7/20 23:13:39)

Dear ttoni,

I do aware of the system difference, but if it's worth for investing additional three years time and cost is quite a personal choice so it'll be great if you do think JD is for you. As for bar exam, you can take NY bar with a LLM, you might research about it if you need. Anyways, it's always great to take a step forward, advancing yourself and your career.

If there is anything I can help, please let me know. Good luck!

Zonia
-- by 会员 zonia (2010/7/20 23:19:29)

Zonia,

Appreciate your help!  Can we communicate personally as my case is a bit special? My msn is zhzixiang0217(A) hotmail.com.

Thank you very much!
作者: pragh    时间: 2010-7-21 11:12
ttoni, don't waste your time on JD and MBA...three years!  Try an LLM and then sit for California bar - assuming you are admitted to China bar (中国执业资格) .  With your work experience, an LLM plus dual qualification may well give you enough credentials for a decent job back in China with international firms unless you are dead set on landing a job with wall street firms.

Think before you invest.  Good luck!
作者: zonia    时间: 2010-7-21 14:53
Zonia,

Appreciate your help!  Can we communicate personally as my case is a bit special? My msn is zhzixiang0217(A) hotmail.com.

Thank you very much!
-- by 会员 ttoni (2010/7/21 8:21:53)

Added you already, see you on MSN~
作者: ttoni    时间: 2010-7-21 15:42
ttoni, don't waste your time on JD and MBA...three years!  Try an LLM and then sit for California bar - assuming you are admitted to China bar (中国执业资格) .  With your work experience, an LLM plus dual qualification may well give you enough credentials for a decent job back in China with international firms unless you are dead set on landing a job with wall street firms.

-- by 会员 pragh (2010/7/21 11:12:14)

Hi Pragh,

Thanks for your inputs! Do you know any one successfully get a CA Bar with a US LLM and 中国法律职业资格 in recent 2-3 years? I heard CA has such a rule but never know who actually gets the CA Bar through that qualification. I have 中国法律职业资格, but do not hold 律师执业证 because I work for foreign firm. In addition, I took no law course in the college. Will CA court check the transcript?

By the way, the purpose of getting a US bar is not for finding a job in international law firms. I am already there but wanting to change.

Thank you!
作者: pragh    时间: 2010-7-22 00:52

Hi Pragh,

Thanks for your inputs! Do you know any one successfully get a CA Bar with a US LLM and 中国法律职业资格 in recent 2-3 years? I heard CA has such a rule but never know who actually gets the CA Bar through that qualification. I have 中国法律职业资格, but do not hold 律师执业证 because I work for foreign firm. In addition, I took no law course in the college. Will CA court check the transcript?

By the way, the purpose of getting a US bar is not for finding a job in international law firms. I am already there but wanting to change.

Thank you!
-- by 会员 ttoni (2010/7/21 15:42:59)

well, you might not be eligible to sit for the bar in Cal because you are not admitted yet in China, meaning you are not a practicing attorney, and therefore may not take the Cal bar exam as an attorney applicant.  I know of a few 中国执业律师 passing the Cal bar after their respective LLM in the US, including NYU LLM in Singapore program.  

On the other hand, I'm not sure if you may write the Cal bar as a law student applicant - please go check the website for details...

Trust me, if you don't want to work with international firms as an associate (not legal consultant or legal assistant), why are you taking so much trouble for a JD, probably with financial burden of over $100k after 3 years?  It's so damn risky...
作者: roro1982    时间: 2010-7-22 08:36
标题: Questions on Kellogg MMM
Dear Zonia,

I worked in Telecom industry for 4 years and I'm preparing the application for Kellogg MMM 2013. Thank you so much to answer my questions below :-)

Is there any disadvantage for international students to apply in R2? Or I must hurry up to catch on the R1?

I've gotten an ME degree in China. Is it acceptable by Kellogg MMM?

How about the average T score of Kellogg applicants? Mine is 102, I don't know whether I should try again for a higher score....

Support Zonia and Kellogg !
作者: ttoni    时间: 2010-7-22 08:49

Hi Pragh,

Thank you!

well, you might not be eligible to sit for the bar in Cal because you are not admitted yet in China, meaning you are not a practicing attorney, and therefore may not take the Cal bar exam as an attorney applicant.  I know of a few 中国执业律师 passing the Cal bar after their respective LLM in the US, including NYU LLM in Singapore program.  

On the other hand, I'm not sure if you may write the Cal bar as a law student applicant - please go check the website for details...

Trust me, if you don't want to work with international firms as an associate (not legal consultant or legal assistant), why are you taking so much trouble for a JD, probably with financial burden of over $100k after 3 years?  It's so damn risky...
-- by 会员 pragh (2010/7/22 0:52:35)

Pragh, thanks for the information! I don't look for a JD any more, but explore the possibility for a JD/MBA to achieve a career switch. I can get a 中国执业律师 after one year internship in a Chinese law firm. It's fairly straightforward.

I really appreciate if you can check with your friends with CA Bar. My bachelor degree in China is not law, so my concern is even I get a 中国执业律师, the CA court may still require 2-3 years Chinese legal education proof, as listed in their requirements. If any your friend whose undergraduate major is not law and get a CA bar through a US LLM and 中国执业律师, I will very much look forward to getting to know whether the CA court challenges the Chinese legal education. I heard there is such a rule for foreign admitted lawyers, but I can't find a real case.

Thank you very much!
作者: zonia    时间: 2010-7-22 10:12
Dear Zonia,

I worked in Telecom industry for 4 years and I'm preparing the application for Kellogg MMM 2013. Thank you so much to answer my questions below :-)

Is there any disadvantage for international students to apply in R2? Or I must hurry up to catch on the R1?

How about the average T score of Kellogg applicants? Mine is 102, I don't know whether I should try again for a higher score....

-- by 会员 roro1982 (2010/7/22 8:36:45)

Hello roro1982,

R1/R2: I'd say both rounds are similar in terms of competitions, the only advantage is that in R1, adcom are at clean slate so you won't have any diversity problem (i.e. too many chinese of your backgrounds are admitted), but the best timing would be whenever you are totally ready with your package. Don't rush things just to make R1 deadline. Both R1 and R2 would have sufficient time for visa application.

Advance degree: I personally didn't see any significant problem with your ME degree, I do know a few from MMM got an advanced degree from engineering. The main question you'll have is "why after an ME, you still wanna get MMM instead of MBA". or "What "other" things this program would help you?". As long as you have genuine reasons to explain so, I bet you'll be good to go. (You can check this with the admission office who would give you the most accurate answer.)

TOEFL: Kellogg doesnt impose any cut-off marks for T, but you can take reference to other schools in the same tier, i'd say 105-110 is the safe range. But from the discussion I had with adcoms, they do adopt a holistic approach on evaluating applications, i.e. read the WHOLE file. So if you have other parts in the application, like essay, GMAT or even interview to evidence your english communication, you should be okay. Retaking or not is a personal decision taking into account many factors like your confident on improving the score, your time available for preparation, etc. Wish you good luck on either way.

Thanks for your support and interest in Kellogg's program. Please let us know if there are further questions.

Zonia
作者: dorothyzm    时间: 2010-7-22 22:44
Zonia辛苦了~
作者: pragh    时间: 2010-7-22 23:49

Hi Pragh,

Thank you!

-- by 会员 pragh (2010/7/22 0:52:35)

Pragh, thanks for the information! I don't look for a JD any more, but explore the possibility for a JD/MBA to achieve a career switch. I can get a 中国执业律师 after one year internship in a Chinese law firm. It's fairly straightforward.

I really appreciate if you can check with your friends with CA Bar. My bachelor degree in China is not law, so my concern is even I get a 中国执业律师, the CA court may still require 2-3 years Chinese legal education proof, as listed in their requirements. If any your friend whose undergraduate major is not law and get a CA bar through a US LLM and 中国执业律师, I will very much look forward to getting to know whether the CA court challenges the Chinese legal education. I heard there is such a rule for foreign admitted lawyers, but I can't find a real case.

Thank you very much!
-- by 会员 ttoni (2010/7/22 8:49:10)

My friend was a law major back in college, so I'm afraid he is not a precedent you can follow.  But you have to check the Cal bar rules again, carefully, to see the requirements of attorney applicants - my gut feeling is that as long as you are practicing law in your home country, bang!  

As aside, I know for sure about the durational and substantive equivalency requirements under NY bar rules, as well as precedents of successful and unsuccessful appeals...Not sure about appeals for Cal bar eligibility.

Just go find them.  And this is a post about MBA at NWU, so I am drawing a line right here about law degrees.  Best luck on your applications.
作者: ttoni    时间: 2010-7-23 08:15
To: pragh:

Appreciate! Can we keep on this discussion offline? My msn is zhzixiang0217(A) hotmail.com.

Thank you!
作者: zonia    时间: 2010-7-28 15:45
up! kellogg up!
作者: pansimply    时间: 2010-7-30 01:50
虽然觉得Kellogg很不错,但是,为啥这个帖子都是英文……
作者: zonia    时间: 2010-7-30 08:12
-- by 会员 pansimply (2010/7/30 1:50:50)

你好pansimply,

真的不好意思,最主要是我的中文不太好(国外长大),用英文来答会比较准确.还有就是我们引用了Kellogg的一些介绍,official copy完全是英文的.但是很欢迎你以中文问你想知道的问题,如果你对于我们的英文post又不清楚的地方也可以发问,同学们都会尽量解答....

Zonia
作者: sunjie38    时间: 2010-8-1 11:59
主要是因为我在原来的公司已经是manager了,所以2年的program对我而言,opportunity cost太大了。
但是也不是说读1年program的人就一定回原来的公司,我们这里大概有一半的人是不回的。
而且也不是所有人都有公司sponsorship,也就40%的人有sponsorship。

1年的program关键是你对于未来做什么比较清楚,比如有的人先前是做咨询的,读完后继续做咨询,短平快。
有的人原来是做PE的,毕业后还是做PE,只不过换一个公司,而不换行业。

1年的program对于那些又想换工作,又想换行业的人,会有点challenging。

不知道有没有回答你的问题?

Alex Sun
Kellogg 1Y student

Alex Jie SUN

请教下,这1年的项目除了网上的介绍外,你觉得和2年的区别是什么,当初你为什么申请这个项目?仅仅是因为会回到原单位吗?

-- by 会员 pragh (2010/7/20 9:17:50)

作者: sunjie38    时间: 2010-8-1 12:02
这个问题应该问Yvonne Yan。Yvonne,pls react to this question,Thanks!

Alex Sun

Dear Zonia,

-- by 会员 roro1982 (2010/7/22 8:36:45)

作者: pansimply    时间: 2010-8-1 16:31
-- by 会员 pansimply (2010/7/30 1:50:50)

你好pansimply,

真的不好意思,最主要是我的中文不太好(国外长大),用英文来答会比较准确.还有就是我们引用了Kellogg的一些介绍,official copy完全是英文的.但是很欢迎你以中文问你想知道的问题,如果你对于我们的英文post又不清楚的地方也可以发问,同学们都会尽量解答....

Zonia
-- by 会员 zonia (2010/7/30 8:12:54)

原来Zonia是美籍华人,我了解了。虽说看英语对我来说不是什么问题,但如果整篇帖子全是英文的话可能会给提问的人造成误解,觉得英文提问也是必须的。我想大多数来这里的申请者刚好与你相反,中文说的比英文准确,如果硬要换成英文反而会造成偏差。引用Kellogg英文的介绍和官方消息没有任何问题,中文提问和中文解答我想是更多申请者想看到的,就像Kellogg 2010的Taking Questions那样。就你的回答来看,Zonia的中文其实挺好的,也谢谢你的答复。

我想问一下,
1. 除了注重团队合作之外,Kellogg还有哪些其他文化特质?
2. Kellogg的咨询与市场是同样强大的么?能否举一两个指名教授的课程呢?
3. Kellogg在高科技领域的市场方面,诸如通信、手机、软件等有什么建树呢?

谢谢!
作者: zonia    时间: 2010-8-2 23:39
原来Zonia是美籍华人,我了解了。虽说看英语对我来说不是什么问题,但如果整篇帖子全是英文的话可能会给提问的人造成误解,觉得英文提问也是必须的。我想大多数来这里的申请者刚好与你相反,中文说的比英文准确,如果硬要换成英文反而会造成偏差。引用Kellogg英文的介绍和官方消息没有任何问题,中文提问和中文解答我想是更多申请者想看到的,就像Kellogg 2010的Taking Questions那样。就你的回答来看,Zonia的中文其实挺好的,也谢谢你的答复。

我想问一下,

谢谢!
-- by 会员 pansimply (2010/8/1 16:31:12)

要先谢谢你的问题,通常我们会用英文回英文的提问,你用中文问,我们也会尽量用中文回答。只是之前的同学可能太为我着想了,都用英文提问,所以才做成“全是英文”的错觉。。。I must say i need 10 times or more effort to answer this in chinese... and special thanks for Eleanie and Daniel for helping out on typing and "translating" before it looks like Chinese

Kellogg的文化特质可以概括为“分享”和“务实”: “分享” - Kellogg同学们普遍来说的交际能力都很好,Interview everyone可能是其中的一个原因,我所遇到的Kellogg student / faculty / alumni都是很愿意分享他们的意见,也很会聆听的。学校很注重学生的意见,这是从northwestern uni到Kellogg的management都有的观念,所以从招生到校务都鼓励学生的参与。“务实” - Kellogg很注重hands-on experience,WE在招生里是很重要的,学生的平均年龄和年资都倾向大一点的 (和其他入学年龄pushing towards 25- 26的作比较),务实的传统也让我们在雇主之间的reputation持续的维持在高水平

众所周知,Kellogg的市场营销全球第一,但是,Kellogg 不只是一家Marketing school.在美国,Kellogg也是很著名的Pre-consulting School,而学生的团队工作精神、处理人际关系和综合管理能力都是一流的. 而对Non-profit感兴趣的学生,学校为他们开设Social Enterprise at Kellogg (SEEK)课程,里头包括面对媒体等各方面的教学,这也是商学院中比较特别的。Kellogg的Marketing Management和Managing Turnarounds / Advanced Turnarounds都是非常出名的咨询与市场课程

Kellogg曾在高科技的运用主面有些滞后,现在情况有了很大的改变。Kellogg有一个高科技专业叫Technology Industry Management Program,提供最新的科技管理学课程,还有High Tech Club让有兴趣的同学参与。在高科技领域的市场方面,Dell 2009年的一个销售新策略正是从 Kellogg 管理学院负责课程设计与教学管理的副院长,也是IBM 特聘运营管理学教授Sunil Chopra而来。
http://insight.kellogg.northwestern.edu/index.php/Kellogg/article/a_new_channel_strategy_for_dell

希望可以解答你的疑问=)
作者: sunjie38    时间: 2010-8-4 05:09
我来试着回答一下你的问题吧
团队合作,合作式领导力,务实,easy going。因此kellogg在general mgmt领域也很强。

事实上咨询只是一个工作,而不是一门专业,所以没有专门的讲如何做咨询的课,不过的确有门讲consulting framework and case study的课,当然还有experiential learning的课,就是为real client做咨询项目。
但是kellogg和insead都是咨询行业最青睐的学校之一,麦肯锡大部分partner都是这两个学校毕业的(HBS只能排第三)。
一般在kellogg会学到很多strategy课程(case study),accounting,finance,operation and lead in org等课程,这些都是foundation of consulting job

有专门针对high tech的专业,因此有相关课程。不过似乎并不是重点,kellogg的人看高科技,更多是从PE和VC的角度去看这些行业,呵呵

Alex Sun
1Y MBA student
作者: Ambro09    时间: 2010-8-8 12:32
Hi Zonia and all,

Thank you for taking questions.

The age range of 2009 MMM student profile is 26~31. I am approaching the high end... How about the age range of class 2010? Don't want to be at an adverse position...

Is there anyone in MMM or 1-year program and without finance background before enrollment? How do you think the accelerated FINC 440 (Finance I/II)? Need lots of extra efforts?

Thanks!
作者: 西风瘦马    时间: 2010-8-12 21:36
Hello,Zonia,I see the post about the applicaiton deadline and some information about the admission of Kellogg.I take this line and paste it here

Chicago-area MBA applicants must request an off-campus interview unless applying to the JD-MBA program.

why there is not an interview if applying to the JD-MBA program?
作者: zonia    时间: 2010-8-13 03:30
Hello,Zonia,I see the post about the applicaiton deadline and some information about the admission of Kellogg.I take this line and paste it here

Chicago-area MBA applicants must request an off-campus interview unless applying to the JD-MBA program.

why there is not an interview if applying to the JD-MBA program?
-- by 会员 西风瘦马 (2010/8/12 21:36:20)

Hi, 西风瘦马!

That line simply tells Chicago-area JD-MBA program applicant to schedule ON-CAMPUS interviews, all other MBA students should schedule off-campus one if you are in Chicago.

There is an interview for all MBA applicants, including JDMBA applicants (unless you apply in Round 3...) Kellogg is famous for its 100% interview rate for admitted students.

Hope that helps!

Zonia
作者: zonia    时间: 2010-8-13 03:41
Hi Zonia and all,

Thank you for taking questions.

The age range of 2009 MMM student profile is 26~31. I am approaching the high end... How about the age range of class 2010? Don't want to be at an adverse position...

Is there anyone in MMM or 1-year program and without finance background before enrollment? How do you think the accelerated FINC 440 (Finance I/II)? Need lots of extra efforts?

Thanks!
-- by 会员 Ambro09 (2010/8/8 12:32:44)

Hi Ambro09

I was not able to find an MMM student to answer this question just yet but I'll give you the general profile data and some comment i got from admission office instead.

This year, the age range is 25-31 for all MBA admits, and the numbers are similar for MMM and JDMBA samples. So I'd say everything should be fairly similar to last year. As long as you find it the "right" time to do an MBA or MMM now, and you are able to convey this message to adcom, you should be fine.

For finance background, since 1-Y do need business background (there is a 7-courses eligibility requirement, see the link below), and finance is part of it so I bet you are not able to get into 1-Y without finance background. But I did meet some MMM alumni and students without finance background, so feel free to try MMM if you didnt do any introductory finance all along.
And what I heard is if you did some intro finance course some years ago, which you got the basic concept but does not meet the waiver requirement, doing the "Turbo finance" will be a great choice. Since it doesnt require special application or waiver but can save you some credits. From the comments i got from alumni and recent students of this course, it's not too tough if you did had finance coursework in your college or so.

Eligibility for 1-Y course: http://www.kellogg.northwestern.edu/Programs/FullTimeMBA/MBA_Programs/1_Year_Program.aspx#eligibility

Good luck!

Best regards
Zonia
作者: Ambro09    时间: 2010-8-13 20:54
Thank you Zonia!
作者: zzy8671    时间: 2010-8-14 13:03
在kellogg full time mba的网站上死活没有找到create new account的链接,哪位好心的xdjm提供一个吧,感激不尽~~
作者: sunjie38    时间: 2010-8-14 23:32
现在可能还没open registration吧,再等等,表急

Alex
Kellogg 1Y program student
作者: JustinGuo    时间: 2010-8-14 23:54
请问JD\MBA的要求是不是特别高,虽然我是2011申请MBA,其实对法律非常感兴趣,如果申请这个joint degree是不是需要法律背景,或是跟普通MBA比,更希望要什么样的学生,我是在银行三年工作经验。谢谢
作者: zonia    时间: 2010-8-17 10:50
请问JD\MBA的要求是不是特别高,虽然我是2011申请MBA,其实对法律非常感兴趣,如果申请这个joint degree是不是需要法律背景,或是跟普通MBA比,更希望要什么样的学生,我是在银行三年工作经验。谢谢
-- by 会员 JustinGuo (2010/8/14 23:54:45)

Hi JustinGuo

就我所知,JDMBA的同学GMAT的平均分和GPA是比MBA高一点点,但是相差的不远。申请是不需要法律背景的,但是英语的要求会较高(both oral and written english),还有,你要有非常清楚的原因说明你必需要法律跟商业两方面的知识。说白一点,对法律有兴趣还不够,adcom常常说,JD在JDMBA里不是一个Good to have,而应该是有这样的Need+Urgency。要申请JDMBA最重要的是在申请里平衡法律跟商业两方面在你的计划里的重要性,目标必需明确。而且在Kellogg的申请里你只可以选一个program,如果JDMBA不成也不可以转到2-Y MBA application (except you reapply the next season, not next round),风险还是不少的。

Good Luck!

Zonia
作者: nhelpn    时间: 2010-8-18 09:08
谢谢楼主。
请问Kellogg的 Health management 方向的MBA,中国学生多吗?就业形势怎么样?
作者: zonia    时间: 2010-8-19 01:45
谢谢楼主。
请问Kellogg的 Health management 方向的MBA,中国学生多吗?就业形势怎么样?
-- by 会员 nhelpn (2010/8/18 9:08:57)

Hello nhelpn,

Actually Kellogg didn't separate a "Health management" MBA but it's only a general full-time MBA you applies and get admission. And since people can claim more than 1 major, it's hard to tell how many students are claiming health management MBA. We got nearly 30 chinese ethnic admits for Class of 2012 (1-Y 2011 / JDMBA 2013) for Full-time MBA. Healthcare related MBAs are quite hot now in US, so the prospect is generally positive but I cannot comment further since I'm not from related background.

Good luck!

Zonia
作者: nhelpn    时间: 2010-8-19 08:09
Thanks a billion.
作者: soloyaj    时间: 2010-8-20 22:06
非常有帮助,我有两个问题:
1、Technology Industry Management Program是MBA的一个方向吗,还是一个独立的master program呢?
2、年龄超过30是不是劣势呢,还是说现在的年龄范围只是一个申请人年龄分布的反映,而不是录取委员会意志的反映?
作者: bigjoe    时间: 2010-8-24 00:08
您好!

有说法是MMM的申请者如果未被录取会自动放入MBA的pool中,从而没有风险。

这种说法是正确的么?谢谢!
作者: yipping    时间: 2010-8-25 12:32
Zonia,

我对KELLOG的JD/MBA感兴趣,可以加我的MSN吗?我想结合自己的个人情况向你请教下。
作者: zonia    时间: 2010-8-27 17:13
Dear Zonia,

could you or your friends introduce engineering management and its main courses.  and elaborate a little about the application of engineering managment in real world, and more pragmatic question is what will be an expected career path?  a similar question is what do you think is the chemistry between MEM and MBA and what benefit NU want to get out from such program?

Thanks,
-- by 会员 51xt (2010/8/19 20:11:57)

Hi 51xt,

I'm not MMM student, so it took some time for me to ask around for your question. I hope these answers can help:
1. MEM and its main course:
   MEM: Engineering management is a course with a primary focus on product design and operations, project management and innovations, this course is particularly suitable for individuals who has the aspiration in technological industries, product development and supply chain operations. The courses are categorized as Core, Design electives and Operations Electives, the following are a couple of courses in each category.
   Core subjects: Designing and Managing Business Processes, Design Thinking
   Design electives: Management of Product Design and Development, Introduction of New Products and Services, Innovation Frontiers
   Operations electives: Computer Simulation for Risk and Operations, Logistics and SCM
2. Real world application of EM
   With a combined focus on design and operations, EM has a wide application in real world, from tech / manufacturing company management, high-tech consulting, PE / VC to starting new enterprises for new products or innovation.
3. Career Path
   This really depends on your original background and personal aspirations, but from what i heard and saw, people from MMM pursue a really wide spectrum of jobs from really frontline manager in design / operations to backend strategy formulation.
4. MMM v MBA
   Altho I didn't chose MMM program, I would think the dual degree program is giving you an opportunity to advance your technical knowledge and management skills at a reasonable timeframe, particularly if you are planning to go into careers which requires understanding on technology, product and operations. MBA is great to help you develop the softskills but MMM is just as good to develop your hard core toolbox. It is a great program and gave you the best of both worlds I'd say.

Hope these answers help!
Good luck!

Zonia
作者: zonia    时间: 2010-8-27 17:23
非常有帮助,我有两个问题:
1、Technology Industry Management Program是MBA的一个方向吗,还是一个独立的master program呢?
2、年龄超过30是不是劣势呢,还是说现在的年龄范围只是一个申请人年龄分布的反映,而不是录取委员会意志的反映?
-- by 会员 soloyaj (2010/8/20 22:06:43)

Hi soloyaj,

1. TIM 是MBA的一个方向而已
2. 在Kellogg来说,因为录取委员会对申请人的工作经验非常的看重,所以同学的年龄并不是很大的问题,关键是你的经验如何,MBA如何能帮助你未来的职业发展。所以应该是前者比较多(年龄范围只是一个申请人年龄分布的反映)。但是我有听说过其他的Top MBAs会Prefer年轻一点的申请人,在Kellogg我没有这样的感觉。

Good luck!

Zonia
作者: zonia    时间: 2010-8-27 17:30
您好!

这种说法是正确的么?谢谢!
-- by 会员 bigjoe (2010/8/24 0:08:58)

Hi bigjoe,

我并不是MMM的学生,所以我不能确定,但是JDMBA的申请人如果未被录取是不会自动放入MBA的pool中的 (So I believe that applies to other "special programs" as well)。其实MMM和MBA的竞争是差不多的,所以我的建议是好好的想清楚自己的背景和需要,选一个适合自己的项目。

Good luck!

Zonia
作者: zonia    时间: 2010-8-27 17:31
Zonia,

我对KELLOG的JD/MBA感兴趣,可以加我的MSN吗?我想结合自己的个人情况向你请教下。
我的MSN:yipping1979@hotmail.com
-- by 会员 yipping (2010/8/25 12:32:41)

I have sent you private email with my contact. Good luck!
作者: bigjoe    时间: 2010-8-29 15:54
您好!

这种说法是正确的么?谢谢!
-- by 会员 bigjoe (2010/8/24 0:08:58)

Hi bigjoe,

我并不是MMM的学生,所以我不能确定,但是JDMBA的申请人如果未被录取是不会自动放入MBA的pool中的 (So I believe that applies to other "special programs" as well)。其实MMM和MBA的竞争是差不多的,所以我的建议是好好的想清楚自己的背景和需要,选一个适合自己的项目。

Good luck!

Zonia
-- by 会员 zonia (2010/8/27 17:30:35)

Thanks Zonia!
作者: redstudent    时间: 2010-8-30 16:07

很抱歉,请问各位楼上的,我咋没找到今年kellogg的ESSAY TOPIC? 请不要拍砖,若知道请提示在哪里,谢谢.
作者: zonia    时间: 2010-8-31 08:56

很抱歉,请问各位楼上的,我咋没找到今年kellogg的ESSAY TOPIC? 请不要拍砖,若知道请提示在哪里,谢谢.
-- by 会员 redstudent (2010/8/30 16:07:34)

Right here: http://www.kellogg.northwestern.edu/Programs/FullTimeMBA/Applying/EssayQuestions.aspx
作者: redstudent    时间: 2010-8-31 09:38
非常感谢!
作者: zonia    时间: 2010-9-6 21:07
up
作者: DeltaDawn    时间: 2010-9-7 17:27
您好!

我想问一下,在您看来,kellogg和其他商学院比,最大的优势和不同在哪里?

另外,也想请教一下,学校在审阅申请文件的时候,确实会打电话给推荐人了解情况吗?谢谢!
作者: sighhh    时间: 2010-9-7 17:50
我想请教一下,我只有两年工作经验,24岁,想申jdmba, 会不会太短?谢谢!
作者: caopp    时间: 2010-9-7 23:54
zonia了解kellogg的part-time MBA么?
作者: MITMSRED    时间: 2010-9-13 12:29
Dear Sunjie38,

Master of Computer Science 怎麽樣滿足1-y program的6門經管必修課要求呢?
作者: caopp    时间: 2010-9-14 01:09
Dear Sunjie38,

Master of Computer Science 怎麽樣滿足1-y program的6門經管必修課要求呢?
-- by 会员 MITMSRED (2010/9/13 12:29:46)

找local college修课,community college也可,修课前和kellogg核实修的课是否对应要求。入学前修满6门就好,这不都在1-year program主页上写得很明白了
作者: MITMSRED    时间: 2010-9-14 09:49
For students in the One-Year program, total costs are estimated to be $102,934; LBS 18個月的,縂費用也不過100万港幣,Kellogg12個月的也要80万港幣了;而且實習2個月有工資,另外實習機會也很重要。
作者: zonia    时间: 2010-9-25 10:22
-- by 会员 caopp (2010/9/7 23:54:25)

So sorry, was really occupied these days. Mm... The kellogg centre for Part-time MBA located in downtown Chicago, right next to law school. Many of the courses are shared with law school and LLM/Kellogg program, what else do you want to know about the program?
作者: seachina    时间: 2010-9-26 22:54
标题: could you describe KWEST? what is it about?
could you describe KWEST? what is it about?
作者: Zeros    时间: 2010-9-27 09:06
could you describe KWEST? what is it about?
-- by 会员 seachina (2010/9/26 22:54:11)

在下面的聊天记录当中有:

Kellogg MBA学生在线分享 – 文字实录 (2010年8月21日)
http://forum.chasedream.com/North_American_MBA/thread-478514-1-1.html
作者: caopp    时间: 2010-9-27 12:23
-- by 会员 caopp (2010/9/7 23:54:25)

So sorry, was really occupied these days. Mm... The kellogg centre for Part-time MBA located in downtown Chicago, right next to law school. Many of the courses are shared with law school and LLM/Kellogg program, what else do you want to know about the program?
-- by 会员 zonia (2010/9/25 10:22:55)

哈哈,谢了。也没啥问题,就认识认识,混个脸熟。
作者: ocean198501    时间: 2010-9-28 09:58
感谢lz热情地回答,我想问问从别的学校transfer到Kellogg的full time,需要什么条件,比如成绩还是什么?似乎在网站上没有找到
作者: ReadytoGo    时间: 2010-9-28 11:04
Hi, Dear Kellogg students~

I have a question of Kellogg Full-Time MBA 2 yrs essay:

Assume you are evaluating your application from the perspective of a student member of the Kellogg Admissions Committee. Why would you and your peers select you for admission, and what impact would you make as a member of the Kellogg community?

I understand the first part the question that the applicant should evaluate the package based on submitted information without adding new info or story.

However, for the 2nd part of the question, " what impact would you make as a member of the Kellogg community",  to answer this part, may the applicant come with new story? or still view the package from a third party perspective?
作者: ReadytoGo    时间: 2010-9-30 09:37
upup
作者: zxding    时间: 2010-10-5 04:55
Alex Jie SUN
-- by 会员 sunjie38 (2010/7/14 7:33:18)

好奇的问下, 1年的项目中国同学一般是怎么样的background? 都是MC出身的?
作者: zonia    时间: 2010-10-8 10:56
感谢lz热情地回答,我想问问从别的学校transfer到Kellogg的full time,需要什么条件,比如成绩还是什么?似乎在网站上没有找到
-- by 会员 ocean198501 (2010/9/28 9:58:48)

Hi Ocean198501,

I dun think Kellogg accept transfer MBA. (You may check with the admission office to make sure but I didn't recall I met anyone did transfer to full-time MBA program)

Good luck!

Best regards
Zonia
作者: zonia    时间: 2010-10-8 10:59

Assume you are evaluating your application from the perspective of a student member of the Kellogg Admissions Committee. Why would you and your peers select you for admission, and what impact would you make as a member of the Kellogg community?

I understand the first part the question that the applicant should evaluate the package based on submitted information without adding new info or story.

However, for the 2nd part of the question, " what impact would you make as a member of the Kellogg community",  to answer this part, may the applicant come with new story? or still view the package from a third party perspective?
-- by 会员 ReadytoGo (2010/9/28 11:04:42)

Hi ReadytoGo,

In my essay last year, I did included new stories. My rationale was the evaluation should based on my package AND my interview, and god knows what i'd say in interview. My point is, Kellogg did not absolutely forbid you from submitting new stories in essay 3 (Of course you are not writing a "whole new you" in essay 3 which is not consistent with other essays in your package).

Hope that helps. Good luck!

Best regards,
Zonia
作者: zonia    时间: 2010-10-8 11:03
您好!

我想问一下,在您看来,kellogg和其他商学院比,最大的优势和不同在哪里?

另外,也想请教一下,学校在审阅申请文件的时候,确实会打电话给推荐人了解情况吗?谢谢!
-- by 会员 DeltaDawn (2010/9/7 17:27:41)

Hi DeltaDawn,

For 最大的优势和不同, please refer to the online chat we have conducted in Chasedream, the transcript is readily available in the forum.

For the application review, the school will only do their background check AFTER you are admitted (or enrolled). (They don't want to spare the resources unless you are really joining the Kellogg community.)

Hope it helps!
Good luck!

Best regards
Zonia
作者: zonia    时间: 2010-10-8 11:08
我想请教一下,我只有两年工作经验,24岁,想申jdmba, 会不会太短?谢谢!
-- by 会员 sighhh (2010/9/7 17:50:58)

Hi sighh,

That really depends on the nature of your 2 years of work experience and your growth. If you are having solid experience and drastic growth in responsibilities, I bet "time" is not an obstacle. Frankly, since you are facing a more competitive pool compare to full-time MBA (we have just under 30 spots), and you don't have a "second chance" (like have an MBA spot if JDMBA doesn't want you); you may want to think again if your 2 year experience is good enough to showcase your leadership ability and talents.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Best regards
Zonia
作者: zonia    时间: 2010-10-8 11:10
So sorry everyone! I'm now in the middle of my tonnes of readings and practices for midterm, so my response might be delayed these days. I'll try to visit CD anyways but thanks for your patience.

NB. First round deadline for Kellogg is coming! (Yaaaaay!!!!!) Wish everyone good luck!

Zonia
作者: yidiyuehan    时间: 2010-10-8 23:41
之前刚刚提交了PART I 的资料,选了感兴趣的项目是MBA。 目前在开始仔细准备ESSAY的时候才发觉其实自己更想读的是MBA/MMM。

请问这种情况是继续当作MBA 来申请比较好还是可以联系admission committee 来纠正自己之前的选择?

一直在犹豫,因为不确定会不会给ADCOM 留下个没有深思熟虑的印象...

谢谢回答啊。
作者: zonia    时间: 2010-10-9 21:40
之前刚刚提交了PART I 的资料,选了感兴趣的项目是MBA。 目前在开始仔细准备ESSAY的时候才发觉其实自己更想读的是MBA/MMM。

请问这种情况是继续当作MBA 来申请比较好还是可以联系admission committee 来纠正自己之前的选择?

一直在犹豫,因为不确定会不会给ADCOM 留下个没有深思熟虑的印象...

谢谢回答啊。
-- by 会员 yidiyuehan (2010/10/8 23:41:04)

This is really a close call. I think that depends on a few different factors:
1. do you think you are only "想读" or it's actually more suitable for you?
2. do you have any related background?
3. does MMM help you on your future goals?

If you think it's actually more suitable to you, and you are going to pursue career in related fields, I think it worths to tell adcom to change your choice. If you are just "interested", you may consider to take more courses in operations management or engineering management but not claiming MMM.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Best regards
Zonia
作者: ReadytoGo    时间: 2010-10-10 10:14
Thanks so much! Zonia!

-- by 会员 ReadytoGo (2010/9/28 11:04:42)

Hi ReadytoGo,

In my essay last year, I did included new stories. My rationale was the evaluation should based on my package AND my interview, and god knows what i'd say in interview. My point is, Kellogg did not absolutely forbid you from submitting new stories in essay 3 (Of course you are not writing a "whole new you" in essay 3 which is not consistent with other essays in your package).

Hope that helps. Good luck!

Best regards,
Zonia
-- by 会员 zonia (2010/10/8 10:59:24)

作者: zonia    时间: 2010-10-13 08:28
Kellogg's application deadline is coming! Wish every round 1 candidate good luck!!!
作者: yidiyuehan    时间: 2010-10-14 21:24
Thanks a lot Zonia, You did provide me a different perspective to me.

Maybe it's rational not to choose MMM at the moment after considering that the number of admits is either 1 or 2...........

Going to submit a few more hours.

Wish to meet you and Jeff in Kellogg ;-)
Cheers!
作者: zonia    时间: 2010-10-15 11:36
Thanks a lot Zonia, You did provide me a different perspective to me.

Maybe it's rational not to choose MMM at the moment after considering that the number of admits is either 1 or 2...........

Going to submit a few more hours.

Wish to meet you and Jeff in Kellogg ;-)
Cheers!
-- by 会员 yidiyuehan (2010/10/14 21:24:03)

Hi yidiyuehan
I'd still recommend you to depend on suitability, afterall, my program just opened less than 30 spots =)
Good luck!

Zonia
作者: thecow10000    时间: 2010-10-15 11:56
Hello Kelloggers, can you please elaborate on finance recruiting?  I noticed that finance is actually the 2nd most popular major in Kellogg, despite its stereotype being a "management/marketing school."

Do most of the big banks go to Kellogg for IBD and S&T?  (i.e. GS, MS, BAML, C, DB, etc for NY or HK positions).  I noticed that some Kellogg alumni work in PE.  Do any PE shops recruit directly from Kellogg?
作者: zonia    时间: 2010-10-16 03:12
Hello Kelloggers, can you please elaborate on finance recruiting?  I noticed that finance is actually the 2nd most popular major in Kellogg, despite its stereotype being a "management/marketing school."

Do most of the big banks go to Kellogg for IBD and S&T?  (i.e. GS, MS, BAML, C, DB, etc for NY or HK positions).  I noticed that some Kellogg alumni work in PE.  Do any PE shops recruit directly from Kellogg?
-- by 会员 thecow10000 (2010/10/15 11:56:01)

Contrary to common belief, actually all big banks you listed here recruits in Kellogg every year. And their chicago office always hold different function and invite kellogg students to attend. More to your surprise, CICC US, which is currently on their recruitment roadshow, only make one stop in Chicago and THAT IS KELLOGG!

Actually I think finance is our second biggest sector basically because more admits are from consulting sides (common belief contributed A LOT on this issue), especially for 1-Y Kellogger. Many of them would return to consulting sector, this correlation between admits to post-MBA career affected much on the employment stat. Kellogg never fall short on having financial institution or banks coming, compared with other M7.

So... no worries about getting a job in finance sector, it's more on your own choice then availability of options.
Good luck!

Zonia
作者: thecow10000    时间: 2010-10-16 04:56
Thanks Zonia.  I just want to hear this from a current student.  I am not surprised.  Some of the senior managers here did go to Kellogg.  I work for a large financial services company.
作者: zonia    时间: 2010-10-16 21:13
Thanks Zonia.  I just want to hear this from a current student.  I am not surprised.  Some of the senior managers here did go to Kellogg.  I work for a large financial services company.
-- by 会员 thecow10000 (2010/10/16 4:56:07)

Great, hope to see you soon~ Good luck!

Zonia
作者: lu31tw    时间: 2010-10-18 02:27
Let me contribute my two cents as I'm a Kellogg first year student and considering applying for IB summer intern positions. So far as we know, almost all of the 2nd year Kellogg students who applied for IB summer internships and finished all recruiting processes got an offer/offers. The number of students who got IB summer internship offer is about thirty something. So if you are really interested in Finance sector, Kellogg is still one of the top schools recruiters will consider. Recruiters look for team-players from Kellogg, which is one attribute makes Kelloggians distinct from students of other B-schools.
This year almost every bulge bracket firm comes to Kellogg or invites Kellogg students to the recruiting event, such as GS, MS, J.P. Morgan, Barclays, BoA Merrill Lyuch, UBS, etc. One of the middle market firms told us they evenly recruit 90% of their associates from Kellogg, Booth and HBS. As for HK positions, many banks come to Kellogg for recruitment, we have GS, J.P. Morgan, Citi, DB coming in late Oct. Hope this answer your questions.

-- by 会员 thecow10000 (2010/10/15 11:56:01)

Contrary to common belief, actually all big banks you listed here recruits in Kellogg every year. And their chicago office always hold different function and invite kellogg students to attend. More to your surprise, CICC US, which is currently on their recruitment roadshow, only make one stop in Chicago and THAT IS KELLOGG!

Actually I think finance is our second biggest sector basically because more admits are from consulting sides (common belief contributed A LOT on this issue), especially for 1-Y Kellogger. Many of them would return to consulting sector, this correlation between admits to post-MBA career affected much on the employment stat. Kellogg never fall short on having financial institution or banks coming, compared with other M7.

So... no worries about getting a job in finance sector, it's more on your own choice then availability of options.
Good luck!

Zonia
-- by 会员 zonia (2010/10/16 3:12:54)

作者: goal2011    时间: 2010-10-23 10:44
some quick questions:

1. Are most applicants previously from finance industry? Since it seems to me every applicant is supposed to have finished some financial and marketing related courses. I am an engineer.

2. How about the average student age? I am quite old for MBA, 33 soon in this Dec. But that is also why I will try to get one year program if possible.

Thanks,
作者: thecow10000    时间: 2010-10-26 07:25
lu31tw, I appreciate your inputs.

欢迎光临 ChaseDream (https://forum.chasedream.com/) Powered by Discuz! X3.3