ChaseDream

标题: 一道又争议的GWD题 [打印本页]

作者: wyy2010    时间: 2009-3-4 19:43
标题: 一道又争议的GWD题

A new hair-growing drug is being sold for three times the price, per milligram, as the drug’s maker charges for another product with the same active ingredient.

1. as

2. than

3. that

4. of what

5. at which

-----------------这题到底选C还是D啊----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
作者: 小贝    时间: 2009-3-4 20:50
C
作者: lcy19812000    时间: 2009-3-4 21:52

I think C it is.

Logically, the sentence the drug’s maker charges for another product with the same active ingredient is an attributive clause of price, since as or than does not intruduce an attributive clause here, choice A and B are wrong.

In D and E, what and which represent price, but we know charges is a transitive verb, we can say charges 10 yan for a haircut but not charges at/of 10 yan, so these two choices  are wrong.

In C, that represents price and this pronoun is object of the verb charges in the attributive clause.

[此贴子已经被作者于2009-3-4 21:55:01编辑过]

作者: alohabrian    时间: 2009-3-4 22:10
以下是引用lcy19812000在2009-3-4 21:52:00的发言:

I think C it is.

Logically, the sentence the drug’s maker charges for another product with the same active ingredient is an attributive clause of price, since as or than does not intruduce an attributive clause here, choice A and B are wrong.

In D and E, what and which represent price, but we know charges is a transitive verb, we can say charges 10 yan for a haircut but not charges at/of 10 yan, so these two choices  are wrong.

In C, that represents price and this pronoun is object of the verb charges in the attributive clause.

Hi, Can u explain it for me when "as" can be used as a relative pronoun?

作者: alohabrian    时间: 2009-3-4 22:11

请参考。

RonPurewal -Manhattan Gmat Instructor

this one isn't that bad if you get down to the "skeleton" of the sentence. to do that, you should kill intervening prepositional phrases that don't affect the grammar of the main sentence.
to this end, you can simply get rid of the following:
"per milligram"
"for another product"
"with the same active ingredient"
and you're left with:
a new drug is being sold for three times the price ____ the drug's maker charges.

once you see this, it should be more clear that (c) is the correct answer. if you're a non-native speaker and you can't recognize "that" as the word belonging in that blank, then here's the reason: it's because "price" is the direct object of "charges". when you turn around such constructions, you use "that":
i hit the ball --> the ball that i hit
she delivered the baby --> the baby that she delivered
etc.

--------

Why E is wrong?

unidiomatic.

you can't say that the drug's maker "charges at a price" for the drug; therefore, the derivative construction "the price ... at which the drug's maker charges" is also wrong.
the correct idiom is "charges a price"; i.e., "price" is a direct object here. therefore, you have to say the price that the drug's maker charges.

it's idiomatically correct to say that the drug's maker sells the drug at a price (which would be the price at which the drug's maker sells the drug), but we aren't using "sell" here.

i'm surprised to see "the drug's maker", a phrase that i would think gmac would consider "awkward". i'd expect to see "the maker of the drug" instead.

-----

why is D wrong?

you have to read these things very, very literally.

"what the drug's maker charges" is ... guess what ... a price.
therefore, "three times the price of what the drug's maker charges" would refer to the price of a price. that is illogical.
this construction is thus not only "wordy", but actually nonsensical.

[此贴子已经被作者于2009-3-4 22:13:50编辑过]

作者: 天蝎座1107    时间: 2009-3-4 22:22
标题: 选C吧
以下是引用wyy2010在2009-3-4 19:43:00的发言:

A new hair-growing drug is being sold for three times the price, per milligram, as the drug’s maker charges for another product with the same active ingredient.

1. as如果要用as,那至少应该是as...as...如I have as many apples as she has.

2. than没有more

3. that发现GMAT中不乏像此题一样的插入用法,在定语从句前插入一个成分,来迷惑考生。例如新prep SC1-182 The organic food industry has organized a successful grassroots campaign—using Web sites, public meetings, and mass mailings—that has convinced the Department of Agriculture

4. of what介词加what从句不如that定语从句来的简洁。而且我觉得这里用what不合适,what the drug's maker charges...应该是how much the drug's maker charges...因为charge的是个价钱,是多少多少美元,而不是what-一个东西.

5. at which这里不需要用介词at因为定语从句中的谓语动词后面缺的是个宾语。就是the drug's maker charges that for another...而不是the drug's maker charges at which...因为charge是及物动词。
    This store often charges only 65 US cents a dozen for large eggs.

-----------------这题到底选C还是D啊----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

作者: 天蝎座1107    时间: 2009-3-4 22:24
以下是引用alohabrian在2009-3-4 22:11:00的发言:

why is D wrong?

you have to read these things very, very literally.

"what the drug's maker charges" is ... guess what ... a price.
therefore, "three times the price of what the drug's maker charges" would refer to the price of a price. that is illogical.
this construction is thus not only "wordy", but actually nonsensical.

这个the price of a price...解释的不错。

欢迎光临 ChaseDream (https://forum.chasedream.com/) Powered by Discuz! X3.3