ChaseDream

标题: Ask Jason@沃顿 (closed) [打印本页]

作者: cannedpineapple    时间: 2009-2-21 23:35
标题: Ask Jason@沃顿 (closed)
Many people have written 站内信 to me asking me about questions on
application to business school (Wharton and others), on Wharton, and on
business school life in general. So I thought why not start a thread
where you can ask me questions (中英文都行) and everyone can benefit!

This does not represent the official view of the Wharton school. My answers
represent my own thoughts and those of no one else. Having said that,
as co-chair of the Volunteer Admissions Committee I am in frequent
contact with the Wharton adcom, and have met over 100 prospective
applicants looking to apply to Wharton. So I'm quite familiar with the
entire process!

Update:
22页分享本人申请文章
28页分析怎么让自己有差异性
34页纽约时报报道美国大学如何考虑transcript

The thread has now been moved here:
http://forum.chasedream.com/North_American_MBA/thread-429418-1-1.html

Cheers,
Jason
作者: isabelgan    时间: 2009-2-21 23:39
沙发!Jason 是个大好人啊,但是也请大家问问题时稍微客气一点,毕竟他是志愿服务者咯。。。
作者: kenic_hu    时间: 2009-2-21 23:45

sofa

Jason,

Tks for the kindness of sharing!  To start the thread, could you pls share some of your own stories which I believe are of many peoples' interest?  I guess you are famous to some group of people, but applicants like me would like to know more about you

Tks again!

作者: cannedpineapple    时间: 2009-2-22 02:45
Here's an intro to myself I posted on another forum:

Before entering college, I was awarded a full college scholarship to fund my overseas study at The University of Chicago. I also served two years and two months of mandatory service in the Singapore Army, where I led a team of about 6-15 people (depending on the exact time of the year) in a human resource branch. 

At The University of Chicago I kept up a GPA of 3.9. I also scored 770 on the GMAT. I'm fluent in Mandarin Chinese and English, and I speak conversational Thai. In the past three years I've spent four months volunteering in Thailand, three months studying abroad in China, and traveled to Peru, Mexico on holidays. 

From 2005-2007 I interned yearly at the company that offered me the scholarship. In the first year I worked in corporate development, and was worked on tackling the threats to the company business model. The company is a media conglomerate, and prints newspapers and magazines; with the advent of free blogs and online news, our circulation has been plummeting. In the second year I worked at the marketing department approaching people off the streets to sign up for our new online job portal. In the third year I went back to corporate development because helping the company deal with the threats to its circulation excites me and that's my career goal. 

My internships have been great learning experiences. In these three years I've worked closely with many of the company's top executives: the company is investing heavily in me, and has been trying to get me exposed to as much as possible. I've also learned a lot from my fellow colleagues. I've also performed well in them, such that my company has now also agreed to sponsor the first year of my MBA studies. 

Apart from the short and medium term, my volunteering experiences have also clarified my long term goals as a social entrepreneur. In terms of background, my time in the army serving my mandatory service gives me unique experience as a leader trying to motivate my subordinates in an environment (forced labour) that many may not have experienced. 

The first question many people ask me when they find out I'm at Wharton straight after college is, how did you do it? Well, the short answer is, I did it by being very clear about my goals. Even with my limited work experience I know my short and medium term goals (corporate development) long term goals (social entrepreneurship) and I know exactly what I need to get out of the MBA. When schools like Wharton say that it's not 'how many years and how many months' that matter, they're not kidding. Rather, know 'why now, and why MBA', and you'll not have to worry about work experience. 

One other question people typically ask: where did you apply from? From China? From Singapore? etc? The truth is, this doesn't matter. Every individual is unique. We all went to different schools, grew up in different families, worked in different roles, and learnt about different industries. But even categories like that unfairly try to categorise someone into easy groups that they don't belong to. People tend to think that if you apply from China, you're a 'Chinese applicant'; if you apply without work experience, you're a 'college applicant'. The fact is, all of us fall into many of these categories. Why should one be more important than any of the others?

Lastly, here are some of the activities I'm involved in at Wharton: Co-President of Consulting Club; Career VP of Media and Entertainment Club; Co-Founder of Early-Career Club; elected academic board member of MBA Programme Office Advisory Board; Operations/Finance VP of Dance Studio; Membership VP of Asia Club; Panel Director for Consulting Conference; Active member of Volunteer Admissions Committee. I also did or am doing consulting projects with the Wharton Community Consultants, Global Consulting Practicum, and Small Business Development Centre. If anyone is interested in finding out more about these clubs, or other aspects of life at Wharton, feel free to post here!

[此贴子已经被作者于2009-2-22 7:54:59编辑过]

作者: totoyan    时间: 2009-2-22 03:26
Thanks, Jason. You are in so many clubs. Do you have enough time to get all things done? How many clubs does a normal Wharton student intensively involved in? (I mean, statistically)

作者: cannedpineapple    时间: 2009-2-22 07:59
At business school different people have different priorities- some want to focus on clubs; some classes; some social activities; some recruiting. I tend to focus more on clubs. There is certainly enough time to do anything- just sleep less, manage your time well, and you can definitely get your stuff done!

I can say that there are people who are involved in EVEN MORE things than me, although that's very rare. I would say that the average Wharton student is intensively involved in 2-3 clubs, at most.

作者: cannedpineapple    时间: 2009-2-22 08:14
沃顿面试

I thought I'd write something very briefly about the Wharton interview, since it seems many people just got invites.

1) Wharton interviews are blind. 面试官不会看过你的application.所以application的内容不单单可以说,而且还应该说(要不然他无法了解你申请商学院的目的,等)。他们唯一看到的是你面试时候交给他的简历。

2)
The interviews will be about 30 minutes long. Adcom and 2nd year
students on campus are strict on time, although alumni may take longer
depending on themselves.

3) 无论是adcom, 2nd year students,
或者校友给你面试, all interviews are treated exactly the same. The three
options are there just to make it convenient for you to schedule
something. Similarly, don't worry about which alumni to choose- the
recommendation of all alumni, whether just out of school or 10-20 years
out, are treated with the same importance and respect.

4) About
30-40% of applicants are invited to interview, and then about 30-40% of
interviewed applicants are accepted. If you were not interviewed you
cannot be accepted. The interview is just taken as another data-point
in your application. A good interview does not guarantee admission; a
bad interview does not guarantee a Ding. This is as you may expect,
given that it is a blind interview. The idea is that Wharton wants to
know as much about you as possible: the recommendations tell us about
you from a person who's worked with you; your essays tell us about you
from your own perspective; and the interview tells us about you from
the perspective of the first impression of someone who has just met you, but is closely associated with the school.

5)
The interviews tend to be very standard, asking all the basic
questions: walk me through your resume, why MBA, why Wharton, why now.
They also might ask a few behavioural questions (tell me about a time
when you failed... etc). But in general it is not designed to trick
you, so this interview might be your easiest among all your business
school applications!

6) Don't worry about bringing in videos, newspaper clips, etc. You should be able to communicate your achievements verbally.

7) Also don't worry about giving gifts, etc to the interviewer when done. A simple thank you email would suffice.

8) The date of the interview (whether early or late) does not matter. The interview will be conducted
by someone who has never read your file, and will in all likelyhood the report
will be read by someone else who did not interview you. Hence when you
interviewed is not a factor at all.

9) On-campus interviews are conducted by 2nd year
students. Hub interviews are conducted by adcom.

Updated to reflect new interview questions and answers..
[此贴子已经被作者于2009-2-24 7:00:47编辑过]

作者: QDJY78    时间: 2009-2-22 08:49

Jelt, 非常感谢

请问面试完最后的decision只有在decision final那天收到么 还是说之前就可能拿到了

[此贴子已经被作者于2009-2-22 8:49:52编辑过]

作者: cannedpineapple    时间: 2009-2-22 09:29
All decisions are released at the same time, typically on the decision final day. Decisions may be out earlier and so everyone may find out before the final day, but that is extremely rare and I wouldn't count on it.

作者: kenic_hu    时间: 2009-2-22 20:07

Thanks a lot Jason!

I've several more questions would like to ask -

1) How do you define "social entrepreneurship"?

Honestly it's the first time that I hear this word and am interested to know more as it looks like what I would make my career to be..

2) Could you introduce more about the Consulting Club in Wharton?  Who usually are the members - I mean those students from consulting industry or other?  What are the activities this club usually organize?

3)I realize that lacking of community activities would be the weakness in my application package.  What is your suggestion to applicants like me who didn't have the chance (or maybe awareness) to serve the public in the past student life?  Would this be a big disadvantage?

Thank you!

作者: youneverknow    时间: 2009-2-22 20:36

十分感谢Jason,好人牛人~~

作者: cannedpineapple    时间: 2009-2-23 03:51
1) Social entrepreneurship refers to the starting of one's own
non-profit company. So you need to face all the challenges of starting
a company, but uniquely tailor that company's goals towards helping
society.

2) The consulting club is made up mainly of people trying to transition into consulting careers. We don't actually 'meet' as
a club that often. We are a professional club, meaning we mainly organize and
coordinate events that help people succeed professionally in consulting. Most
of these don't require the club to meet as a whole- rather, whoever is
interested signs up for these events, and attends them. However, even these
events tend to be highly personal, matching up say consultants with first year
students, or second years and first years, rather than being an 'event' per se
where everyone attends. We find this to be better because it helps people work
around their own schedules, and also gives people better, more high quality
interaction.

Some of these events include:
inviting firms to send
employees (consultants) to come help with looking over our resumes, chatting
with us over coffee to learn about the firm, and also give general interview
advice. We also organize events with those with prior (either summer, or
previous full-time) experience in consulting helping out in similar ways-
learning about their firms, and helping with interview and resume advice. And
yes, we also have casebooks, although students tend to leverage casebooks from
different schools.

3)
Well, community activities are not crucial in the sense that you don't
have to have served the public. You do need to show interests outside
of work and school though; but any such interests would be fine. They
don't have to be the type that serve the public good.

Hope this helps!

[此贴子已经被作者于2009-2-23 3:53:22编辑过]

作者: cannedpineapple    时间: 2009-2-23 03:53
youneverknow: glad to be of help!

作者: kittylyx    时间: 2009-2-23 04:22

Jason rocks and he is VERY helpful!

作者: chinazdk    时间: 2009-2-23 09:57

hi Jason,

Thanks very much for your information. I am wondering whether you can briefly introduce the lifestyle at Wharton and Philadephia, say, what attracts you most about life in UPenn.

Cheers

作者: cannedpineapple    时间: 2009-2-23 11:31
thanks kittylyx: you have a name very similar to my friend from college!

Chinazdk: what exactly about the lifestyle would you like to know about? Philly is a mid-sized city, so it's not as exciting as New York or Chicago, but there's more happening than say at Tuck. The city also apparently has the highest number of (good) zagat-rated restaurants in the country, so the food is great! I also like the fact that the city is so near the school that it takes only about half an hour to walk home every day. Very nice having everything so conveniently located!

As for Wharton, I would say the best thing is that there is always something happening everyday. Be it a party, social event, talk, lecture... things are happening all the time and you will never feel bored! As for what it is that you personally choose to do with your time, that's up to you- but rest assured that you will always have plenty of choices to choose from.

作者: cannedpineapple    时间: 2009-2-23 11:37
BTW, just to clarify... many of the things I've said (for instance,
that you don't really NEED community service) probably applies to every
other school as well, so feel free to ask questions that relate to the
general business school application process as well, or how you should
choose a school, etc.
[此贴子已经被作者于2009-2-23 11:40:24编辑过]

作者: for2009    时间: 2009-2-23 11:45
Thank you so much for your sharing and kindly reply.
作者: cannedpineapple    时间: 2009-2-23 11:51
No problem, for2009. Glad to be of help.

作者: kenic_hu    时间: 2009-2-23 13:20

Tks for your answer Jason, it really helps!

BTW, I see that you are also the student of Lauder Class Chinese track. Is it because that you aim your future career in China?  I saw on Wharton's website that this program is designed for those who would like to spend their career in a Foreign country, like in Japan or in Spain..

作者: cannedpineapple    时间: 2009-2-23 13:35
Yes, I aim to develop a future career in China! That is what the Lauder programme is aimed at- to train business leaders outside of the US. And as a non-Chinese native, I wanted to learn about business in China while still getting a top-notch US education.

作者: cannedpineapple    时间: 2009-2-23 13:38
I myself have faced looking at websites that have a flood of
information without knowing what's important and what's not. Well, I
looked at the Wharton website recently and found the following post
that is perhaps the most useful piece of information I've seen on it.
It really answers the most common questions I deal with on CD all the
time. Without further ado, here are the TOP 10 MYTHS (ie这是错误的想法!)  regarding Wharton (and most other MBA programmes):

[此贴子已经被作者于2009-2-23 13:58:32编辑过]

作者: isabelgan    时间: 2009-2-23 14:38
Mr.Awesome...
作者: ziyangzhuo    时间: 2009-2-23 19:08
好贴,顶~~~

[此贴子已经被作者于2009-2-23 19:08:32编辑过]

作者: kenic_hu    时间: 2009-2-23 21:12
Jason, do you join some network/group of social entrepreneurship? Is there any club about this career in Wharton?
作者: chinazdk    时间: 2009-2-23 21:20

Great! Thanks very much, Jason.

My interview will be on Mar 2 at Beijing. But I still didn't receive the hub interview address information. Do you know when the office will settle the hub interview place?

作者: cannedpineapple    时间: 2009-2-24 00:39
kenic: There are multiple ways to get involved in social
entrepreneurship, including joining a non-profit board, taking a social
venture class, interning at a social enterprise, and so on. I don't
think this specific club (social entrepreneurship) exists, but that may be because there's not
enough demand for it: entrepreneurship club, for instance, probably has
most of the same resources you need- you just have to apply things in a
non-profit setting. In general at Wharton you'll find that the problem is not lack of opportunities: it is lack of time!

chinazdk: Unfortunately I do not deal with logistics and the school's not sending me to China, so I have no idea =) If you really must know because it affects your travel plans, I would advice you to contact the admissions office directly.

[此贴子已经被作者于2009-2-24 0:41:00编辑过]

作者: kevintown    时间: 2009-2-24 01:06
感谢!
作者: mbadreamer12    时间: 2009-2-24 02:25

Thank you very much for starting this post, Jason. Could you please help with the following questions?

Does the date of interview matter? I could only schedule my alumni interview on Mar 12 which is the deadline date due to our schedules, will it have negative impact?

Can I ask how much % of the Wharton students have less than 2 years of experience? I heard that it's less than 10%, is it true?

Thank you very much again!

作者: OrangeBlossom    时间: 2009-2-24 03:00

Hi Jason,

I have a few questions.  

1) Will classes be held on March 3rd?

2) for on-campus interview on the 4th, will it be conducted by 2nd year student or by admission director?

3) Does Wharton have education club? Do you know any Wharton student who comes from the education field?

Thanks for the help!

[此贴子已经被作者于2009-2-24 3:00:40编辑过]

作者: cannedpineapple    时间: 2009-2-24 06:58
mbadreamer12:
1) No, the date of the interview does not matter. The interview will be conducted by someone who has never read your file, and will in all likelihood the report will be read by someone else who did not interview you. Hence when you interviewed is not a factor at all.
2) The class profile for class of 2010 is here: http://www.wharton.upenn.edu/mba/student_life/classprofile/index.cfm There are 2% of students with 0-2 years of working experience, which is about 16 students. Out of these, about 6-10 represent Wharton undergraduates who apply by a special programme where only people who went to Wharton for their undergraduate studies are eligible.

OrangeBlossoms:
1) Yes, there will be classes on March 3rd.
2) On-campus interviews are conducted by 2nd year students. Hub interviews are conducted by adcom. The admissions director will be doing hub interviews too.
3) We don't have an education club, but the reason is similar to why we don't have a social entrepreneurship club. There are too few people interested in that. Having said that there is a general management club, for instance, and some educational general management companies do recruit on campus. Exploring options in social entrepreneurship might also be relevant for you if you are looking more at the non-profit end of things in education.

作者: OrangeBlossom    时间: 2009-2-24 07:36
以下是引用jelt2359在2009-2-24 6:58:00的发言:
mbadreamer12:
1) No, the date of the interview does not matter. The interview will be conducted by someone who has never read your file, and will in all likelihood the report will be read by someone else who did not interview you. Hence when you interviewed is not a factor at all.
2) The class profile for class of 2010 is here: http://www.wharton.upenn.edu/mba/student_life/classprofile/index.cfm There are 2% of students with 0-2 years of working experience, which is about 16 students. Out of these, about 6-10 represent Wharton undergraduates who apply by a special programme where only people who went to Wharton for their undergraduate studies are eligible.

OrangeBlossoms:
1) Yes, there will be classes on March 3rd.
2) On-campus interviews are conducted by 2nd year students. Hub interviews are conducted by adcom. The admissions director will be doing hub interviews too.
3) We don't have an education club, but the reason is similar to why we don't have a social entrepreneurship club. There are too few people interested in that. Having said that there is a general management club, for instance, and some educational general management companies do recruit on campus. Exploring options in social entrepreneurship might also be relevant for you if you are looking more at the non-profit end of things in education.

Many thanks, Jason!

I noticed from Wharton website that Jordan Bookey, WG'07 was from the education field. Do you know her contact details (e.g. email) so that I could talk to her?

Thanks again for your help.

作者: cannedpineapple    时间: 2009-2-24 08:39
OrangeBlossoms:

We are not at liberty to release any contact details of any current students or alums at our school. I hope you understand that we have to respect the privacy of people associated with the school. Alternatively you can also try contacting related clubs (eg. Social Impact; Community Consultants; Entrepreneurship Club) to see if anyone might be able to help you out.

作者: caterina    时间: 2009-2-24 09:54

Hi Jason,

Thanks so much for answering our questions. I'm interested in corporate social responsibility and the impact of SMEs in social development. Is there any popular class on these topics? Can you mention some popular professors' names, espeically in entrepreneurship and social responsible businesses? Would I find a lot of other students with similar interests?

Thank you!

作者: youneverknow    时间: 2009-2-24 11:24
以下是引用jelt2359在2009-2-24 6:58:00的发言:

Hi Jason,

May I ask what is the difference between adcom and admissions director? who is the the one that has the final word?

作者: cannedpineapple    时间: 2009-2-24 12:11
caterina: a lot of the information (classes, clubs, fellowships, etc for social entrepreneurship) you're looking for can be found here: http://www.whartonsocialresponsibility.org/index.php

youneverknow: the admissions director is the leader of the adcom team. There is no 'final word'- they all make decisions together. The only difference is that whenever there is an event, etc, he will tend to represent the school. This is not like a traditional company where a CEO leads a team. Instead he is more like the person who coordinates the efforts of the adcom.

作者: abcdhl    时间: 2009-2-25 00:26

Hi, Jason, I have some questions for you. I will greatly appreciate it if you can answer them for me.

1. Are there any graduates who join the United Nations or world bank or other famous non-profit international institutions?Chances are great?

2. Based on my background, I aim to take MBA/Kennedy Government School Joint degree. can you give me some your personal insights about such joint degree programm?

3. I have worked in 5 countries, now working for a country's government, so I intend to stress out Global Leadership Development provided by Wharton when answering why Wharton in my essay. Would you please to shed some lights on such aspect of wharton program?

Thank you very much. 

Best Regards,

Robert 

作者: for2009    时间: 2009-2-25 00:29
Hi, Jason. I sent you a short message in you box, got it?
作者: cannedpineapple    时间: 2009-2-25 00:36
沃顿面试 Guide Part II

I mentioned that the interview has very standard questions. (Although for Healthcare and Lauder they tend to be harder!) Here are some examples:

1. Talk about your career progress since you graduated?
2. How do you manage a global team?
3. How do you motivate your team members?
4. What are you career goals?
5. Why MBA?
6. Why Wharton?
7. What extra-curricular activities would you take part while you are at Wharton?
8. What is your leadership style?
9. Anything you want to add to say or add to your application?
10. Questions for me? 

You can also find interview questions faced by applicants to Wharton, as well as to other schools (click the school on the click links to the left), here:

http://www.accepted.com/mba/interviews/search_results.asp?Age=-1&AreaOfStudy=-1&LastXDays=9999&School=55&Score=122&SourcePage=search.asp&Submit=Submit&bhcp=1

作者: cannedpineapple    时间: 2009-2-25 00:39
Robert:
1) I would say not many join these organisations, because 1) they don't tend to recruit through MBA programmes 2) interest is not great. However there are classmates who formerly worked in these organisations and you'll be able to get some referrals there.
2) What sort of insights are you looking for exactly? You can also consider the Wharton/SAIS programme, whom many find relevant to international development.
3) While it makes sense to link your past background to the school, people often find it more relevant to link their future goals to the school. In your case they both seem to match, so that's ok. Some international opportunities can be found here: http://www.wharton.upenn.edu/mba/academics/intlopps/index.cfm

for2009:
No, I did not get it. But why not post your questions here, so everyone can benefit from both the question and the answer?

作者: OrangeBlossom    时间: 2009-2-25 02:51
以下是引用jelt2359在2009-2-24 8:39:00的发言:
OrangeBlossoms:

We are not at liberty to release any contact details of any current students or alums at our school. I hope you understand that we have to respect the privacy of people associated with the school. Alternatively you can also try contacting related clubs (eg. Social Impact; Community Consultants; Entrepreneurship Club) to see if anyone might be able to help you out.

I surely understand. Thanks for the advice.

May I ask why you chose Wharton? What do you think makes Wharon special or unique, compared to HBS and Stanford?

Thanks!

作者: abcdhl    时间: 2009-2-25 03:09

Hello, Jason,

Thank you for your quick response.

following your response to my question 2, insights here refer to following implications:

a. People who want to apply for MBA/KSG joint degree must have government working background?

b. If we consider the heavy load of study faced by wharton student, will the schedule be burning

in the 2nd year?

Thank you.

Best Regards

作者: cannedpineapple    时间: 2009-2-25 04:31
OrangeBlossoms: First of all, I cannot comment on other schools because I know less about them than I do about Wharton. However I personally like the Lauder's programme excellent international-focused training; the ability to choose from 200+ electives that you can take; and the co-production model of the school, where students are given the chance to shape school policy and go out and represent the school. This is a school that is very much run by students, and that was important to me so I'd be able to contribute to a good school environment.

abcdhl:

a. No, they don't. Which is why I said that the choice of a programme typically corresponds with your future goals rather than past experience. Having said that, if you have nothing in your past that indicates that your future goals are sincere/genuine/make sense, adcoms may question whether you have fully thought out your goals and have made the right choices in your career to date.

b. Definitely not. One thing you'll have to realise is that students' loads are taken up not only by studies: there's also recruiting, club activities, and socialising. Everyone is busy; all have 'burning schedules'. The difference is what you choose to spend your time on. This is not like a regular Masters or PhD programmes where you only pursue excellent academic grades! There is so much more to an MBA programme (which, incidentally, is why 社团活动 is important when you apply- we're not looking for the smartest people; we're looking for the best, most all-rounded, leaders.)

作者: pega09    时间: 2009-2-25 09:23
Jason, I got your message in the mailbox, saying I didn't reply to you( actually I didn't get your mail answering my question about alumni choice). So I replied to you yesterday. But it seems both of our mailboxes lost some message.
作者: youneverknow    时间: 2009-2-25 11:22
以下是引用jelt2359在2009-2-24 12:11:00的发言:

youneverknow: the admissions director is the leader of the adcom team. There is no 'final word'- they all make decisions together. The only difference is that whenever there is an event, etc, he will tend to represent the school. This is not like a traditional company where a CEO leads a team. Instead he is more like the person who coordinates the efforts of the adcom.

Thank you so much, Jason.

another quesiton about interview.

when asked about"Anything you want to say or add to your application?", what kind of stuff should I talk about in order to stand a better chance?

[此贴子已经被作者于2009-2-25 11:22:25编辑过]

作者: cannedpineapple    时间: 2009-2-25 11:31
pega09: Weird!

youneverknow: There is no 'right answer'. Each person has different things she/he wants to address. Some want to deal with their perceived weakness in community service; some want to emphasise their strength in leadership, and so on. Alternatively, if you've already mentioned these things during the interview, you don't want to be repetitive. So it depends very much on how the interview is going, what you want to mention, and whether these things have been made clear yet.

In general don't try to 'game the application' too much. This is not an exam, there are no 'right answers!' Certainly nobody on CD can tell you what the right answer is: most of us perhaps have applied once or twice, or been in the school at most for a year or two. Admissions staff have interviewed thousands of applicants and
1) know very well when someone is trying to give the right answer (esp. if all Chinese applicants read CD and end up writing the same 'right' stories and giving the same 'right' interview answers), and this doesn't reflect well on your independence of thought
2) probably have slightly different ideas from us on what is an 'impressive' answer and what is not- in particular, they may not be looking for content, but rather how you communicate, what you choose to communicate, and whether you do a good job in this.

作者: pega09    时间: 2009-2-25 12:46
以下是引用jelt2359在2009-2-25 11:31:00的发言:
pega09: Weird!

youneverknow: There is no 'right answer'. Each person has different things she/he wants to address. Some want to deal with their perceived weakness in community service; some want to emphasise their strength in leadership, and so on. Alternatively, if you've already mentioned these things during the interview, you don't want to be repetitive. So it depends very much on how the interview is going, what you want to mention, and whether these things have been made clear yet.

In general don't try to 'game the application' too much. This is not an exam, there are no 'right answers!' Certainly nobody on CD can tell you what the right answer is: most of us perhaps have applied once or twice, or been in the school at most for a year or two. Admissions staff have interviewed thousands of applicants and
1) know very well when someone is trying to give the right answer (esp. if all Chinese applicants read CD and end up writing the same 'right' stories and giving the same 'right' interview answers), and this doesn't reflect well on your independence of thought
2) probably have slightly different ideas from us on what is an 'impressive' answer and what is not- in particular, they may not be looking for content, but rather how you communicate, what you choose to communicate, and whether you do a good job in this.

...........I think you might mistake me for another people asking questions to you....I didn't ask what kind of answer would be right........
作者: cannedpineapple    时间: 2009-2-25 13:13
pega09: 我是说我们发的站内信一直走丢,很奇怪!

作者: pega09    时间: 2009-2-25 13:17
以下是引用jelt2359在2009-2-25 13:13:00的发言:
pega09: 我是说我们发的站内信一直走丢,很奇怪!

sure....
作者: cannedpineapple    时间: 2009-2-25 16:38
pega09: I think you misread my post. My "right answer" post was to "youneverknow". The top part of the post (the part that begins with pega09: and ends with "weird!") was to you. Good luck with your interview!

作者: pega09    时间: 2009-2-25 16:58
sorry....I didn't realize "youneverknow"is an ID..
作者: youneverknow    时间: 2009-2-25 23:07
以下是引用jelt2359在2009-2-25 11:31:00的发言:

Thank you so much for your detailed reply

作者: youneverknow    时间: 2009-2-25 23:07
以下是引用pega09在2009-2-25 16:58:00的发言:
sorry....I didn't realize "youneverknow"is an ID..

haha~it is an ID.

good luck to you

作者: QDJY78    时间: 2009-2-26 09:11
谢谢 JASON  R2 我已经面试完了 等3月底的结果了 希望能和你在WHARTON见面!
作者: 隐青    时间: 2009-2-26 10:42
好人啊,收下了。
作者: pega09    时间: 2009-2-26 11:13
Jason能介绍下今年wharton mba毕业生找工作的情况吗?看到前面的帖子不太乐观的说。。。
作者: pega09    时间: 2009-2-26 11:13
以下是引用QDJY78在2009-2-26 9:11:00的发言:
谢谢 JASON  R2 我已经面试完了 等3月底的结果了 希望能和你在WHARTON见面!

强烈真诚呼唤面经~~
作者: cannedpineapple    时间: 2009-2-26 12:35
pega09: did you try visiting the site I recommended for interview prep? There are a lot of 面经 there that you may find useful. The Wharton interview is really quite standard, so after a while you'll realise that they really all just ask the same few questions (walk me through your resume; why wharton why mba why now; a couple of behavioural ones; do you have any questions). For your prep I recommend just getting a list of common behavioural questions from the site I recommended, and then prepare for those- anyway, this will probably be useful for all your business school interviews.

As for the job situation, I would say that things haven't been smooth-sailing. A lot of people do have offers, but they have tended to be offers in industries/jobs they've done before- career switchers haven't been very successful. I can't give you %ages because I don't have them.

作者: pega09    时间: 2009-2-26 12:40
Thanks a lot Jason, I did collect lots of them but someone told that the alumni interview might be more flexible and strange question might appear, so I think 面经  is the more the better.
作者: cannedpineapple    时间: 2009-2-26 13:08
They're right. In fact, especially because alumni interviews tend to vary more, hence
this would suggest that someone else's interview experience would be a
poor indicator for how yours will go- hence why waste time on something
that is likely irrelevant?

The way alumni interviews work is, they ask you anything they are
interested in, based on your background and their own. So it may be
more productive to practice answers for a list of 'common behavioural
questions' (which are common for a reason- people tend to ask them),
and then set about analysing your own background for possible items
that the alumni interviewer may be interested in.

Just my 2 cents, from my own experience interviewing others =)
[此贴子已经被作者于2009-2-26 13:09:11编辑过]

作者: cannedpineapple    时间: 2009-2-26 13:10
QDJY78: good luck! Hope to see you next year.

作者: ljrider    时间: 2009-2-26 14:48

Jason,你好,我想请问一下,

1、今年申请Wharton第三轮的机会如何?之前听说,第三轮国际学生很难申请到?

2、Or我就还是申请下一年的第一轮。

3、听说万一第三轮申请不成功,以后作为reapplicant就会很难?是否如此?

基本情况:Male,GMAT:750,T:Waived, UK Master,WE:8 yrs,5 yrs Senior Management,Finance Industry, Fortune 500(Asian Company)

很希望听到你的建议。

作者: cannedpineapple    时间: 2009-2-26 16:05
ljrider>
1. Every year, it is true that R3 has lower rates of
admission than R1 or R2, because you are basically left with only slots
that have not been taken in R1 and R2. However the strongest candidates
can still be admitted in R3. This has nothing to do with whether you're
an international student or not (I'm not quite sure where you heard
that, but that's not accurate).

2. R1 and R2 has no difference in chances. R3 is much lower. Last year the admissions rate for R3 was about 1%.

Again, I'm not sure where you heard this, but this could not be further
from the truth. Wharton is widely known as being re-applicant friendly,
and we welcome people who have learnt from the process and improved
themselves.

Thanks for your quick intro. However, and this is
something I must stress, profiles don't tell the whole picture, and so
shouldn't be used as a basis for others to evaluate you. Mine would
have looked: GMAT >700, T waived, US BA, WE 0, extremely junior
intern, not fortune 500. Doesn't look impressive, but the point is that
such facts tend to miss a lot of the nuances important for admission =) Nonetheless, I'm glad to hear more about who you are! Good luck.

[此贴子已经被作者于2009-2-26 16:06:55编辑过]

作者: QDJY78    时间: 2009-2-26 16:27
标题: 回复:(pega09)以下是引用QDJY78在2009-2-26 9:11:0...
以下是引用pega09在2009-2-26 11:13:00的发言:

强烈真诚呼唤面经~~

你看CD上已有的面经就够了 BW也很多 我面的wharton校友的面试问题不是很typical 都是很personal的问题 贴出来对你参考不大

个人面了4所学校了 感觉真正需要准备的就是WHY MBA , WHY SCHOOL 其它的 BE YOURSELF 当一个聊天就OK了

作者: enliang    时间: 2009-2-26 16:30
Jason is really a nice guy. Benefiting a lot simply from reading your answers to others.
作者: leticiaxut    时间: 2009-2-26 16:36

Hey Jason! I am very interested in Lauder program and wanna know:

1.whether my backgrounds fit the program.2.Does Lauder community closely interact with regular MBA community(I see Lauder program involves a smaller group of students)? 3.how do you see the advantage&disadvantage of Lauder compared with regular MBA program?

Double majored in Spanish & Economics of Peking University,I've worked 4 years for the largest spanish insurance company in China as market analyst(market research,strategy planning and implementation).I have been trained in Manila,Philippines and Spain for over 5 months. I also had a lot of international exposures with Spanish and Latin American community in China.In unversity, I was vice president of AIESEC(world's largest student organization) and was exchanged to India and Singapore during my term.

Fluent in Spanish& English.Native Chinese speaker.

I don't know whether my background will fit better the Lauder program or regular MBA program. Frankly both are my dream.But I think there may be lower probability for me to get in regular MBA program than Lauder. Because I get the impression that second foreign language may be my advantage to apply for Lauder.Am I right?

What's your opinion and suggestion? Look forward to your answers.  Many thanks.(Sorry for the long message...)

作者: meimei0222    时间: 2009-2-26 16:42

Hi Jason, I hope you are not in Philly now... Since if you are, it means that you are still answering our questions at 3am in the morning!

Nevertheless thank you for doing this!!

作者: turbo2008    时间: 2009-2-26 17:45

Hi Jason,

Thank you for taking your time to answer our questions.

I am planning to apply in R3 (all set and ready to hit submit in a few days). I am aware that my chances of being admitted in R3 are lower; However, I was shocked to hear from you that last year Wharton only admitted 1% of R3 applicants. How accurate is this information?

If it is true, I might reconsider my decision to apply in R3 and apply in R1 of next year. I did see your post that Wharton is re-applicant friendly, however, writting a new application with only less than 5 months of new experience would be extremely tough.

Thanks again!

[此贴子已经被作者于2009-2-26 18:00:41编辑过]

作者: ljrider    时间: 2009-2-26 22:20

Thanks Jason for your kind reply and plenty of information.

作者: cannedpineapple    时间: 2009-2-27 00:31
meimei> Yes I am in Philly. What can I say, guilty as charged, not an early sleeper..

enliang> Thanks for your support =)

ljrider> Welcome =)

QDJY78>
I agree. That's really because interview questions are not about giving
the right answer, but rather to be used as an opportunity to help the
interviewer understand who you are. I've sometimes found that not
directly asking questions, but rather using a chit-chat format, has
been more useful because it really shows me how passionate a person is
and what topics he/she naturally likes to bring up.

turbo2008>
I heard it from the admissions staff themselves, so it's 100% accurate.
The issue, however, is that most people tend to get dinged not because
their 'profile' is lacking (again I must stress this! profile is not
the most important thing!) but because they fail to properly
communicate their strengths in thoughtful, revealing, insightful essays
that set them apart from everyone else. It has even reached a point
where admissions staff can look at applications, and know who has been
taking most of their advice from CD (yes, they know about CD, and
apparently people who take the advice of CD tend to write very similar
essays..) and who hasn't. So given this, if you can put together a
strong application, there's no harm applying in R3 and then trying
against next year, having learnt from the experience. Of course in the
5 months you'll have to continue to strengthen your case, but it's not
a matter of 'how much experience do you have'? but 'what else have you
been doing in the meantime'? Good luck!

leticia> While admissions rates for the two programmes are different (of course, no two programmes will have the same admissions rate..), the quality of the admitted candidate is the same. In fact, Lauder,
Wharton and HCM sit together on the same committee to decide who gets
admitted and who doesn't. If the quality is not good enough, or very high, they similar change the class size. The lauder class size has ranged from 45 to 70 people- so they certainly don't feel pressured to take in a fixed number. In addition, given that everyone in Lauder
has 2nd (or 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th) language competencies, your language
fluency is not a strength: it merely means you've met the requirement.

Just off the bat, it looks like your background is a good fit. Lauder students are generally interested in international culture
and business, and while it's not necessary to have such experience in
your background, most Lauder students do (because they were interested,
therefore they sought it out..). More important however is that it
should fit your goals. If you aim to do business in a multi-cultural,
international setting, then Lauder prepares you for that better than
the regular Wharton programme. It's no different from thinking (why
Wharton vs why HBS)- almost any background is a good 'fit' for business
school, but more important is your own fit with each programme and how it
helps you achieve your goals.

2. We are extremely integrated. We
are each broken up into separate cohorts and learning teams; we also
attend regular Wharton clubs, parties, and so on. I would say that we
are Wharton plus: Wharton students who just happen to have our own
'family' to go back to, to take extra classes with.

3. I think
the sense of cohesion has been wonderful, and this cohesion is also
evident in the many very helpful alumni who are very keen to help us
out. I would say 50% of the foreigners who are Wharton alums in China,
for instance, are also Lauder alums- this makes for a very good network
for your professional development. In addition one other big thing is
the research projects that we have to do to graduate. I for instance am
doing a consulting project with a VC in China (incidentally, the VC
partner on our project is also a Lauder alum). While Wharton also has
such opportunities, none of them involve work with a VC, and if they
did, I would suggest that half the school will be applying (you'll find
out when you get here that everyone is interested in learning more
about PE and VC..). Hence Lauder has given me the chance to undertake
such projects that I wouldn't have been able to do at Wharton.

The
disadvantage is that you really do spend slightly more time in classes.
Although, given that everyone at Wharton is busy anyway, and is simply
concerned with how they spend that busy time (social? recruiting?
clubs? classes?), I wouldn't say you're any less busy than anyone else.
[此贴子已经被作者于2009-2-27 0:42:15编辑过]

作者: walksnow    时间: 2009-2-27 07:46
Hi Jason, one of my friends will have an on-campus interview next week. Is it possible for her to have a mock interview with you anytime on Monday or Tuesday and get some feedback? I know you will be busy since next week is the final exam week. So it completely understandable if you don't have time for it.
作者: cannedpineapple    时间: 2009-2-27 11:29
Hi walksnow,

Do you mean Mon/Tues on campus or over the phone? Anyway have her contact me directly, and we'll see if our schedules match.

作者: leticiaxut    时间: 2009-2-27 18:02

Hi Jason! Many thanks for your detailed answers and sharing. I do agree with you.It´s more important to consider whether the program fits my goals and my own fit with the program than to simply think of whether my ¨backgrounds¨ fit the program. 

Actually through my experience of helping foreign companies to plan or implement their development strategies in China and to approch potential local partners, I´ve found many frustrated experiences of foreign investors are derived from the lack of understanding or misunderstanding on the local people/culture/legal enviornment/market. The same happens to the local companies when they are looking for foreign investors or expanding their business abroad. Actually what I want to do in the future is to help both of them know a foreign market/culture/people,find the proper development strategies and implement the strategies in a most efficient way.So in short term my goal is to work as consultant and in long term I would like to start up my own consulting business.

I think Lauder program is the most ideal platform which could prepare me for reaching my career goals.Because it not only provides regular&systematic training but also enhances multiculture understanding and a lot more...

Well,I think I've said too much about myself and hope won't make you bothered again

Here come my questions:
1.What do you think are the most important criterias for Lauder Program Admission? Especially compared with criterias for regular MBA.
2.If I wanna go back to China to start my career as consultant after MBA although my application language group is Spanish, does it sound logical to the admission committee? If not, what would you suggest to make it sound more logical?
3.In what areas are Lauder Alum usually engaged in?

I sincerely appreciate your time and patience again. Look forward to hearing from you.

作者: walksnow    时间: 2009-2-27 22:54
以下是引用jelt2359在2009-2-27 11:29:00的发言:
Hi walksnow,

Do you mean Mon/Tues on campus or over the phone? Anyway have her contact me directly, and we'll see if our schedules match.

Jason, thank you so much! She will visit Wharton campus on Monday and Tuesday. So if possible any time on these two days works for her. I dropped you a messege. Thanks again!

作者: mbadreamer12    时间: 2009-2-27 23:55

Jason, sorry to jump in when there are so many questions waiting for you. Would you please help with the following questions?

1. You mentioned earlier that interview is just another data point of the whole application package, then how will the Adcom make decisions among interviewed candidates? Do they revisit the whole package again?

2. How is an interview evaluated? Is what you answer or the way you present yourself more important? 

3. What is an interview report like? Will the interviewer put on general comments like "I recommend/don't recommend this candidate" etc.?

作者: chiyuanl    时间: 2009-2-28 10:19

Hi Jason!

Thanks so much and this is a fantastic initiative! I just wrote you mail but i htink posting here will also benefit others:

1) How to bext maximize campus visit, in addition to the regular class visit/lunch with student? Especially for WLer.

2) Do you suggest schedule for a meeting with ADcom director?

I will visit Wharton on 19th. Hope I will see you again there!

Thanks! 

作者: cannedpineapple    时间: 2009-2-28 11:14
leticiaxut>
1.What do you think are the most important criterias for Lauder Program
Admission? Especially compared with criterias for regular MBA.
The criteria is exactly the same, save for the language component.

2.If
I wanna go back to China to start my career as consultant after MBA
although my application language group is Spanish, does it sound
logical to the admission committee? If not, what would you suggest to
make it sound more logical?
It sounds logical to me if you want to work with Spanish speakers in China. That being said, again I would suggest that you just focus on communicating your genuine goals. Otherwise, when you're spending an extra 6 hrs a week on classes, more on homework, and paying extra to top it off, you may start questioning why you applied for Lauder if you don't really think it fits your goals.

3.In what areas are Lauder Alum usually engaged in?
All sorts of stuff. There is no 'usual' engagement. In the same stroke, there is no 'usual' Wharton student- people do stuff from international development, education, general management, entrepreneurship, to PE/VC/IB/Consulting/Sales and Trading. Lauder alum perhaps are more likely to be found outside of either their home country or the US, that's all.

mbadreamer12>
1. You mentioned earlier that interview is just another data point
of the whole application package, then how will the Adcom make
decisions among interviewed candidates? Do they revisit the whole
package again?
Yes.

2. How is an interview evaluated? Is what you answer or the way you present yourself more important?
Both are important. Seriously. If you communicate with passion and dedication and sincerity, that will be noted. If you have well thought-out and genuine answers, that too is noticeable. On the flipside the best answers can't save you from a 'rehearsed', unfriendly delivery, nor can a perfect delivery save you from content that is 答非所问。

What is an interview report like? Will the interviewer put on general
comments like "I recommend/don't recommend this candidate" etc.?
Considering that you would just have met your interviewer for 30 mins, "I recommend/don't recommend" is not useful nor credible. Instead what is useful is, "how does this guy communicate? Is he passionate about his goals?" and so on. Unlike a job interview, where the interviewer is typically very important and can make the hiring decision, here it is merely a piece of information- it is simply not useful nor neccessary in the MBA context. Incidentally, for the same reason, recommendations from CEOs that say "I recommend" without any other substantial are not useful either- which recommendation letter doesn't say I recommend? Instead, what adcom is looking for are evidence of your leadership, maturity, competency, etc.

chiyuanl> Sorry I didn't get back to you yet. But thanks for posting here, it does benefit others!
1) How to bext maximize campus visit, in addition to the regular class visit/lunch with student? Especially for WLer.
The key would be to get meaningful interactions with people who will then feel motivated to advocate on your behalf. This may not be easy given 1) the timing 2) not everyone is comfortable putting their reputations on the line for someone they may have just met. But then again that's the exact kind of challenge that a Wharton student should presumably thrive on

2) Do you suggest schedule for a meeting with ADcom director?
No. As I mentioned, even if it's an interview, it is just another datapoint (ie he/she won't and can't walk in and say, let's take this guy now!) and besides, this could just as much hurt as help you depending on what you do/say.

Having said that, Wharton's instructions are explicit in that they want you to not do anything because they are already swamped. Say each adcom has 8 hours a day, subtracting an hour for lunch, and then another 2 hours for the time taken to write good reports. That's 5 hours to interview- say each takes 30 minutes, that means they can conduct at most 10 a day. Now think about how many applicants are interviewing in R2, and you'll realise that 10 a day for them is very few- which is why they need second year students to interview as well. So picture this.. you come along, knowing full well that WLers are not supposed to take up resources that they are using for R2 candidates, and also fully understanding you're not supposed to provide
additional info, even if there is really additional info to be given-
since this is seen as conferring an unfair advantage on you. Nonetheless, you know all this and still insist that you think it's a good idea they give up one of those 10 slots for you, although you've already had your slot in R1... I can easily see how this can be seen as overly aggressive, and indicative of you not being a team player.

But those are just my own thoughts Good luck!

作者: isabelgan    时间: 2009-2-28 14:18

Jas, you r sooo popular! I envy u haha.

作者: vickiyan    时间: 2009-2-28 19:50
Good job, Jason! 
作者: chiyuanl    时间: 2009-2-28 23:48

Thanks Jason! anyway i will visit the school just to make up my mind between W and the other school....yeah, i may not do much aggressive stuff as u mentioned but just get more understanding abt the school =)

Let's see of you have time to catch up!

THANKS!!!

作者: youneverknow    时间: 2009-3-1 00:35

jason对每个问题都回答得好仔细~

赞~

顶~

作者: cannedpineapple    时间: 2009-3-1 02:39
Thank you vicki 学姐, isabelgan and youneverknow. Just trying to share my experience learnt from being part of Wharton's Volunteer Admissions Committee. I've noticed that when you explain things, rather than just answering questions, people begin to understand WHY things are done the way they are, and that makes it easier to understand the process.

chiyuanl> No problem, good luck! good luck!

作者: lfdb    时间: 2009-3-1 03:20
WE stands for what?
Thanks!

[此贴子已经被作者于2009-3-2 9:35:32编辑过]

作者: cannedpineapple    时间: 2009-3-1 04:17
WE stands for "Work Experience" (几年的工作经验). People tend to talk about this because
many have the misconception that it is an important factor in
admission. In fact, some may have "WE" of 10 years and still not have
accomplished much and still be immature. Some are mature even with WE
of 0. More important than a single number, is what you've done during
your professional life.
[此贴子已经被作者于2009-3-1 4:18:08编辑过]

作者: seafly_diao    时间: 2009-3-1 10:17
Jason, I'm going to Wharton on Mar 2 for on-campus interview. Your detailed explanation here really helps.

Thanks a lot for answering all the questions and being patient and nice.

[此贴子已经被作者于2009-3-1 10:18:14编辑过]

作者: cannedpineapple    时间: 2009-3-1 11:49
seafly_diao> no problem. Good luck with your interview!

作者: totoyan    时间: 2009-3-2 00:13
Hi Jason, could you elaborate more about the international exchange programs? How many students join this program every year? I think it is a good way to build network in the particular area where I want to develop my career. Am I right?

Thanks!

作者: cannedpineapple    时间: 2009-3-2 05:23
totoyan> I would say not many actually join. The issue is timing. Considering that you took so much effort to apply to Wharton, and you are paying so much to attend only four semesters here, few people want to spend one of those four semesters (1/4 of the MBA experience!) attending school somewhere else. The quality of classmates and classes is so high at Wharton that few want to give that up for something else. The one programme many do think about though is the Wharton-INSEAD exchange. This can happen after May, and so we don't actually have to give up our Wharton semester to do it.

As for why do it, there are myraid possible reasons. You can use it to build your network, view it as a cultural exchange, or just a fun holiday with friends. Most people see it as the latter two. After all, if what you really wanted was to build your network in Singapore for instance, why would you come to Wharton instead of directly going to INSEAD Singapore?

作者: lfdb    时间: 2009-3-2 09:37
thanks a lot!

作者: cannedpineapple    时间: 2009-3-2 12:41
lfdb> 没问题!

作者: chinazdk    时间: 2009-3-2 15:08

Just completed the interview. The questions are within what Jason has listed. My performance was so so, but the interviewer was very nice. 

Thanks a lot, Jason. 

作者: cannedpineapple    时间: 2009-3-2 23:14
That's great! The best you can hope for is just not to screw it up. In truth, the bulk of the work has already been done before you interview: the application is in fact more important than the interview, if only because it provides more points of view of you.

Good luck!

作者: monopoly2008    时间: 2009-3-3 14:39
Hi Jason,

Random question, are students at Wharton allowed to have a few 'taster' lectures or classes before they decide which courses to take? And if you are not officially registered for a particular course, will you still be able to go to the lectures, and get whatever teaching materials that are handed out for that lecture?

Thx

作者: 蘑菇    时间: 2009-3-3 15:33

good!

作者: enliang    时间: 2009-3-3 17:23

刚刚面好Wharton,上海校友面试的,这人一下午居然要面5个,比较无语。没约上hub,约了校友,发现校友也快变hub了,排队面。他反复说今年非常非常competitive。

没有很多常规的“说故事举例子”题目。个人感觉准备的时候再一次好好的想想到底怎么stand out,怎么differentiate,而不是只根据问题来准备。面试虽然是他问你答,但是你要尽量master,其实还是有很大空间展示自己的。(我没机会了,同志们继续冲)。

再次谢谢Jason的答疑解惑。

作者: pega09    时间: 2009-3-3 17:56
以下是引用enliang在2009-3-3 17:23:00的发言:

刚刚面好Wharton,上海校友面试的,这人一下午居然要面5个,比较无语。没约上hub,约了校友,发现校友也快变hub了,排队面。他反复说今年非常非常competitive。

没有很多常规的“说故事举例子”题目。个人感觉准备的时候再一次好好的想想到底怎么stand out,怎么differentiate,而不是只根据问题来准备。面试虽然是他问你答,但是你要尽量master,其实还是有很大空间展示自己的。(我没机会了,同志们继续冲)。

再次谢谢Jason的答疑解惑。

然后呢? 他要面几个半天?
作者: pearlycy    时间: 2009-3-3 18:05
enliang MM,请问你是上海哪个校友面啊?是Vicky Yan 吗? 或是纯老美?
作者: cannedpineapple    时间: 2009-3-3 23:30
pearlycy> Vicky Yan is a second year student now... I don't think she's considered an alum. Besides, I don't think there is only one non纯老美alum in Shanghai

monopoly2008> this depends from class to class. Some classes, like negotiations, do not allow sitting in because class interaction is important. Others in a lecture style, say finance or accounting, are more open to this. In general there is a very complicated bidding system for you to choose classes, but yes people do swap in and out of classes.

enliang> don't worry too much about the interview. As long as you didn't screw it up, you did well. It's sort of like the GMAT. A bad score will hurt you, but a good score doesn't help.

作者: cannedpineapple    时间: 2009-3-4 02:51
mogu> thanks for your support

So I saw that another CD
poster got into Wharton and HBS, and there were a lot of comments about
diversity at business schools. Here's my own thoughts.

First
of all, it tends to be that people from certain industries (consulting,
banking, etc) value an MBA more and apply more for the MBA because it
is important within their industry. So it is not surprising that many
business school students come from these backgrounds.

Second,
naturally some companies are leaders within their industries, and so
tend to attract the top talent in their industry- in the same stroke,
then, since the top talent get into the top business schools, it is not
surprising that many successful applicants come from these companies.

Third,
at the same time everyone is different. If you add up how many people
worldwide work for the top 3 investment banks, PEs, VCs and consulting
firms, you probably have something like 20,000 people- FAR more than
the top 7 schools can take in (the famous "M7"). So even within these
schools, the people I've seen as my classmates have tended to have very
varied backgrounds. One guy took a break from his consulting job to be
a 主播 in sports in India.. Another took some time to work for the
government doing cross-border deals. And so on.

Fourth, and this
is something I frequently encounter, people typically ask about 'how
many from China got in', and about GMAT and TOEFL scores. Unlike the 高考
system, applicants for business school are simply not split up
according to their origin nor according to their scores. At Wharton a
rule of thumb is that if you have above 80% on both verbal and quant
GMAT scores, then you're fine. Any better will not give you any
advantage, though worse puts you at a disadvantage. Seen this way, 720
(ie above the average score) is really the same as 800. Apart from the
GMAT and TOEFL scores, another misconception is that Chinese applicants
are competing primarily with Chinese applicants. This is simply wrong.
There are so many other ways someone can be defined- one's occupation,
age, number of years of working experience, number of languages spoken,
gender, which schools you graduated from, which countries you have
lived in, and so on- that merely simplifying the equation to a single
factor- nationality- is inaccurate, misleading, and ultimately not
productive.

Lastly, this is not about diversity, but about the
loan situation. I have every confidence that Wharton will have a
non-cosigner loan in place for International Students by the time
school starts. The key question (and this is something to ask about
other schools that currently have this), however, is at what interest
rate? Looking at how credit is scarce in the US right now, I'd be
surprised if other schools were able to offer substantially lower rates
than us, given we all have the same sources of credit (the banks).

[此贴子已经被作者于2009-3-4 2:51:23编辑过]

作者: cannedpineapple    时间: 2009-3-4 04:32
Saw a useful post from Wharton's adcom about the interviews. The original poster had said he worried that the interviewer was 'non-reactive', and unable to relate to his background. Here was the response:

"Hello,

I'm sorry to hear that you feel your interviewer was "non-reactive." All of our interviewers are trained by the AdCom, and we always hope that the interviews are a pleasant experience for the Wharton applicants.  That said, our interviewers, as alumni of the Wharton MBA Program, come from hundreds of industries, and thousands of individual backgrounds.  They are not expected to be able to specifically relate to the background of the candidates they work with.  They are, of course, expected to respect the background of the candidates they interview, but the aspects they are judging the applicants on are far more general: fit with Wharton culture, personal qualities, communication style, interpersonal skills, etc.

The AdCom understands that not every interview will result in perfect chemistry between applicant and interviewer.  We take that into account when we read the interview evaluations, and because our process is holistic, the interview is only part of our evaluation of the candidate and not weighted any more heavily than any other single aspect of the application.   But we also believe that our interview process does mirror real-life business scenarious: often you will walk into a business meeting/interview/negotiation and sit across from someone who is "non-reactive" and relatively unfamiliar with your background.  

Regards,

Kathryn, Adcom Staff"

欢迎光临 ChaseDream (https://forum.chasedream.com/) Powered by Discuz! X3.3