ChaseDream

标题: 大全651 [打印本页]

作者: Snazzy    时间: 2004-2-6 04:44
标题: 大全651
651.    Since the 1930’s aircraft manufacturers have tried to build airplanes with frictionless wings, shaped so smoothly and perfectly that the air passing over them would not become turbulent.
(A) wings, shaped so smoothly and perfectly
(B) wings, wings so smooth and so perfectly shaped
(C) wings that are shaped so smooth and perfect
(D) wings, shaped in such a smooth and perfect manner
(E) wings, wings having been shaped smoothly and perfectly so

B 是答案吗? thanks
作者: Snazzy    时间: 2004-2-7 00:08
i think that A is better
作者: dreadpower    时间: 2004-2-7 00:36
我也不懂,看前辈的讨论吧:http://forum.chasedream.com/dispbbs.asp?boardID=23&replyID=108266&ID=15954&skin=1
作者: dreadpower    时间: 2004-2-7 00:50
还是不明白~~呵呵,鸭鸭明白了吗?说说你的看法??
作者: shellyaaa    时间: 2004-2-7 01:09
肯定是B,同位语是优选项。A,D中过去分词,C为定语从句。如果是过去分词,就不应该加逗号,加了逗号,会有修饰不明的感觉。定语从句are时态有误,应该用were。而且2个that,读上去很不顺口。E中 having be 多余。

最重要的是这里主要考形容词与副词的修饰关系。“削”的动作完美,翅膀(被削的)光滑。削的这个动作不可能光滑阿!中文可以讲的通,但是细心理解一下,的确B的说法最精确。
作者: ecsniffer    时间: 2004-2-7 12:18
A中的问题与OG253类似
253.Analysts blamed May’s sluggish retail sales on unexciting merchandise as well as the weather, colder and wetter than was usual in some regions, which slowed sales of barbecue grills and lawn furniture.
(A) colder and wetter than was usual in some regions, which slowed
(B) which was colder and wetter than usual in some regions, slowing
(C) since it was colder and wetter than usually in some regions, which slowed
(D) being colder and wetter than usually in some regions, slowing
(E) having been colder and wetter than was usual in some regions and slowed
Choice B is the best answer. It is concise and idiomatic, and which has a clear referent, the weather.

作者: Snazzy    时间: 2004-2-7 13:42
以下是引用dreadpower在2004-2-7 0:50:00的发言:
还是不明白~~呵呵,鸭鸭明白了吗?说说你的看法??

hi, dreadpower, i read the previous discussion. it is  not clear. but my opinions are:
1, 'smooth' refers to the quality性质 while 'perfectly' refers to the 'form'形状。 they are different
2,  for sure, A is not right. In A, the redundant comma makes it wrong. furthermore, "something is shaped" should be followed by an adj.
3, i don't believe that 'perfect' includes 'smooth', discussed before
4, the whole sentence should be 'wings, wings that are shaped  so smooth and so perfectly shaped that ...'. a similar example would be:

In the traditional Japanese household, most clothing could be packed flatly, and so it was not necessary to have elabrate closet facilities.
B, flat, and so elaborate closet facilities were unnecessary.

for discussion

作者: dreadpower    时间: 2004-2-7 20:15
以下是引用Snazzy在2004-2-7 13:42:00的发言:

hi, dreadpower, i read the previous discussion. it is  not clear. but my opinions are:
1, 'smooth' refers to the quality性质 while 'perfectly' refers to the 'form'形状。 they are different
2,  for sure, A is not right. In A, the redundant comma makes it wrong. furthermore, "something is shaped" should be followed by an adj.
3, i don't believe that 'perfect' includes 'smooth', discussed before
4, the whole sentence should be 'wings, wings that are shaped  so smooth and so perfectly shaped that ...'. a similar example would be:

In the traditional Japanese household, most clothing could be packed flatly, and so it was not necessary to have elabrate closet facilities.
B, flat, and so elaborate closet facilities were unnecessary.

for discussion

1,2,3点都认同

4,有点难理解:wings, wings that are shaped  so smooth and so perfectly shaped that ...这样不是不平行吗???

还有,你所举的那个例子中flatly和flat的意思是不同的,不光是副词和形容词的区别

作者: Snazzy    时间: 2004-2-7 23:23
sorry, i guess i must have misled you guys. i am even confused by NO 4. but i think the example exactly illustrated the point:  pack sth flat --> shape sth smooth

agreed?
作者: snow_mountain    时间: 2004-2-7 23:31
smooth is similar to flat.

smooth modifies the result of the action.  smoothly modifies the action itself.

eg. smooth-shaven  脸上刮的光光的,讲的其实是shave 这个动作的结果。
作者: yukon    时间: 2005-6-4 14:26

...wings,wings...这是哪个语法点啊?就是同位语吗?

总觉得写俩遍wings很罗嗦,不像ETS平时的作风。

作者: 温弗雷德    时间: 2005-7-1 20:58

我也是这个困惑,就是觉得重复了wings好像不符合ETS简洁的原则,但问一下,为什么说...wings,wings...是同位语啊?

望NN求解!!

作者: 温弗雷德    时间: 2005-7-2 23:41
还是没人理阿,再顶一下~~~~
作者: ring_cheng    时间: 2005-7-3 19:07

我觉得:这个已经不是简洁不简洁的问题,而是有没有歧义的问题。

我们反过来看B,把B后面的同位语去掉变成wings, so smooth and so perfectly shaped。可以看出:这样的修饰会有歧义,就像下面的A

OG253.Analysts blamed May’s sluggish retail sales on unexciting merchandise as well as the weather, colder and wetter than was usual in some regions, which slowed sales of barbecue grills and lawn furniture.
(A) colder and wetter than was usual in some regions, which slowed
(B) which was colder and wetter than usual in some regions, slowing
(C) since it was colder and wetter than usually in some regions, which slowed
(D) being colder and wetter than usually in some regions, slowing
(E) having been colder and wetter than was usual in some regions and slowed
Choice B is the best answer. It is concise and idiomatic, and which has a clear referent, the weather.

因此,为了避免歧义(这个应该属于correct的错误),重复指代对象是正确的用法,OG中那道computer用法和XDF补充材料上的一题都属于类似的情况(如下)

Floating in the waters of the equatorial pacific, an array of bouys collects and transmits data on long-term interactions between the ocean and the atmosphere, interactions that affact global climate.

A. atmosphere, interactions that affect

B. atmosphere, with interactions affecting

C. atmosphere that affects

D. atmosphere that is affecting

E. atmosphere as affects

答案A

作者: 温弗雷德    时间: 2005-7-4 18:39

谢谢,但又出现个问题,弱弱得问一下

OG253这题中,对b的答案有点绕,weather不是句子的主语阿,逗号后的现在进行式修饰的怎么会修饰到它而不是Analysts?

还有第二题中,可不可以这样总结为逗号后可以加名词性短语?那这个名词性短语修饰的是什么呢?

语法不太好,谢谢指教!

作者: ring_cheng    时间: 2005-7-4 19:20
以下是引用温弗雷德在2005-7-4 18:39:00的发言:

谢谢,但又出现个问题,弱弱得问一下

OG253这题中,对b的答案有点绕,weather不是句子的主语阿,逗号后的现在进行式修饰的怎么会修饰到它而不是Analysts?

--这是个好问题!请注意,weather虽然不是句子主语,可它是which定语从句中的主语,逗号+slowing是紧跟在定语从句中,修饰定语从句的主语即weather的,不可将其认为是修饰主句语analysts

其实换个角度看,这个用法也传达了GMAT语法的clear原则--什么最clear?一般原则是:逻辑连系越密切的部分,彼此应该越靠近,这样才会clear。否则analyst与slowing隔得山长水远,中间还有个which定语从句,你怎么知道slowing是修饰analysts的呢?在OG中就有一例(虽不是很贴切,但也可以从侧面说明一下该问题):

OG27. Published in Harlem, the owner and editor of the Messenger were two young journalists. Chandler Owen j and A. Philip Randolph, who would later make his reputation as a labor leader.

(A) Published in Harlem, the owner and editor of the Messenger were two young journalists. Chandler Owen and A. Philip Randolph, who would later make his reputation as a labor leader.

(B)  ublished in Harlem, two young journalists, Chandler Owen and A. Philip Randolph, who would later make his reputation as a labor leader, were the owner and editor of the Messenger.

(C) Published in Harlem, the Messenger was owned and edited by two young journalists, A. Philip Randolph, who would later make his reputation as a labor leader, and Chandler Owen.

(D) The Messenger was owned and edited by two young journalists. Chandler Owen and A. Philip Randolph, who would later make his reputation as a labor leader, and published in Harlem.

(E)  The owner and editor being two young journalists, Chandler Owen and A. Philip Randolph, who would later make his reputation as a labor leader, the Messenger was published in Harlem.

In D, the phrase and published in Harlem is too remote from the Messenger to modify it effectively(注意,主系与表语离得也算是一种修饰错误)

还有第二题中,可不可以这样总结为逗号后可以加名词性短语?那这个名词性短语修饰的是什么呢

--这个一般是指代前面出现过的东东,以更加清晰地指代(而且形式也挺优美)。关于这点的用法,不光有重复性指代,还有概括性指代,或者改为分词。CD很多前辈对此已做出过详细总结,请温同学找找,我就不多言了:

http://forum.chasedream.com/dispbbs.asp?boardID=23&ID=81945&page=1

语法不太好,谢谢指教!

个人意见,供参考。

作者: quiny    时间: 2005-8-15 10:26
3x
作者: sabrina07    时间: 2006-12-29 18:00
up
作者: elric9    时间: 2009-7-28 23:02
up

欢迎光临 ChaseDream (https://forum.chasedream.com/) Powered by Discuz! X3.3