ChaseDream

标题: 请教GWD3-Q22(On account of a law passed in 1993) [打印本页]

作者: lecherous    时间: 2008-7-18 00:00
标题: 请教GWD3-Q22(On account of a law passed in 1993)

GWD3-Q22:

On account of a law passed in 1993, making it a crime punishable by imprisonment that a United States citizen hold gold in the form of bullion or coins, immigrants found that on arrival in the United States they had to surrender all of the gold they had brought with them.

A.      On account of a law passed in 1993, making it a crime punishable by imprisonment that a United States citizen hold

B.       With a law passed in 1933 that makes it a crime punishable by imprisonment that a United States citizen hold

C.      A law passed in 1933 that made it a crime punishable by imprisonment for a United States citizen holding

D.      Because of a law passed in 1933 making it a crime punishable by imprisonment for a United States citizen to hold

E.       Due to a law being passed in 1933 that makes it a crime punishable by imprisonment for a United States citizen to hold

答案是D

记得刘振民说because of后面跟简短的名词短语?

其他好像也不对,

a  ,making不对

b时态不对,第二个that从句不对

c从句变主句

e being passed,makes都不对

[此贴子已经被作者于2008-7-18 0:03:56编辑过]

作者: zwshicareer    时间: 2008-12-28 16:57

同问,D中because of 后面应该加简单名词,为什么答案是D. 请NN帮忙解答下,谢谢了!

作者: 好好学习    时间: 2009-2-3 18:11

也有此疑惑啊   顶上去

作者: wentaow2008    时间: 2009-2-4 13:32
  我觉得是不是应该选A啊,请nn帮忙了~
作者: lonpaier_hu    时间: 2009-4-8 08:56

我一纸质GWD中答案为B,也在疑问之中。

语法中也有说,law后应有现分修饰。。搞不太懂,可否有人帮忙

作者: lonpaier_hu    时间: 2009-4-8 10:50
额。。。没人理啊,来顶顶
作者: elaine1031    时间: 2009-7-17 15:43
up
作者: kevinli120    时间: 2009-8-3 12:08

GWD3-Q22:

On account of a law passed in 1993, making it a crime punishable by imprisonment that a United States citizen hold gold in the form of bullion or coins, immigrants found that on arrival in the United States they had to surrender all of the gold they had brought with them.

A.      On account of a law passed in 1993, making it a crime punishable by imprisonment that a United States citizen hold

B.       With a law passed in 1933 that makes it a crime punishable by imprisonment that a United States citizen hold

C.      A law passed in 1933 that made it a crime punishable by imprisonment for a United States citizen holding

D.      Because of a law passed in 1933 making it a crime punishable by imprisonment for a United States citizen to hold

E.       Due to a law being passed in 1933 that makes it a crime punishable by imprisonment for a United States citizen to hold

In that 优于because优于 because of / due to/ on account of

作者: florawxd    时间: 2010-4-21 11:23
B中because of 后面跟的是简单名词the law。 making……都是在修饰law,可认为是从句。
作者: dengqin    时间: 2010-5-14 14:14
我觉得in that 并不能优于because,一般情况下,我的理解是because 优于in that
in that 一般有表示两者之间的差别的含义。
作者: gracezz    时间: 2010-5-14 14:36
呃,我选了A。。。。答案到底是啥呢
作者: yxm54    时间: 2010-6-14 18:37
A,B中的错误很明显吧, a United States citizen hold应该是holds.
作者: cenco    时间: 2010-6-17 21:55
我网上找到的。
大家参考一下啊:

A/B中hold的数不对,应该用单数
??C中A law和immigrants构成双主语,不对
??E pass是一次性动作,不能用being passed来修饰law,ing分词是持续的概念。
??
??make it (形式主语) adj./n. + for sb to do/ that从句 ; it作为形式主语指代后边的for sb to do/that从句
作者: 红尘道士    时间: 2010-6-18 11:18
because of 没有说一定要加简单名词吧,我记得GMAT里面加名词,然后定语从句的蛮多的
作者: QiMei    时间: 2010-6-18 13:11
B中because of 后面跟的是简单名词the law。 making……都是在修饰law,可认为是从句。
-- by 会员 florawxd (2010/4/21 11:23:12)

顶这个。

prep新语法笔记里答案也是这个。
作者: QiMei    时间: 2010-6-18 13:14
另外,语法笔记上说A B 中的it不可指代后面的that从句。
作者: ken178    时间: 2010-7-1 11:31
AB选项hold不对,我选了C,现在看来这个选项是RUN-on,并且E中的BEING的确不对。那就只能选D咯,但是D中的making 是不是指这个法律一直让到人们........所以用ING形式???
作者: youngerlee    时间: 2010-7-14 14:20
-- by 会员 yxm54 (2010/6/14 18:37:24)

好强的洞察力,挺你

又,because of后面跟的确是是名词,because of a [[law] passed in 1933][making it a crime......],immigrants......
作者: Polka    时间: 2010-7-25 17:36
Hi guys, please read the following explanation carefully, I find it really helpful.

a, b, c can all be eliminated because of improper idiomatic usage: the proper idiom is '...a crime for blah blah blah to hold...'

'with' in choice b is also bad: it seems to imply that immigrants arrived with the law in their hands.

choice c implies that the immigrants themselves are 'a law passed in 19xx' (analogy: 'an accomplished pianist, jay made a nice living playing at weddings' - jay is an accomplished pianist. same reading applies to this sentence, although it's considerably longer and more difficult to parse)
--
i believe you've misconstrued our advice not to write 'because of V-ing', in exactly that form.
choice d doesn't do that: it writes 'because of a law', where 'a law' is definitely a noun. (the subsequent modifier 'making it a crime...' modifies 'law', and is not associated with 'because of')
--
choice e changes the meaning of the sentence: taken literally, it says that the immigrants found themselves in this unenviable situation not because of the law itself, but because of the passage of the law. although somewhat plausible, this is not the intent of the original sentence.

----------------
dps wrote:
Copied from correct answer D
"Because of a law passed in 1933 making"
I'm confused about what are the rules for whether "making" in above sentence is a verb or participle.
While attempting this problem, I thought it's participle and eliminated it

ah yes, the dreaded "because of X VERBing..." construction.
this construction is incorrect if the causal agent (i.e., the thing that the "because" is attributed to) is the VERB.
for instance,
* we laughed all day because of tony walking into the girls' bathroom --> incorrect, because the verb (walking into the bathroom) is the reason why we were laughing all day.
the correct version of this sentence would read we laughed all day because of tony's walking into the girls' bathroom. in other words, if the causal agent is the action (which appears in -ing form), then it must be preceded by a possessive.

* estelle was afraid to move because of a spider sitting on the wall --> correct, because estelle is afraid because of the spider itself, not because of the spider's sitting on the wall.
this sentence should be read as an instance of the latter: it's the law itself that caused the immigrants' problems.
goelmohit2002 wrote:
Can't we kick out E...because we cannot replace due to by "caused by" here ?
Replacing Due to with "caused by" in E makes no sense....As per my understanding....if in a sentence we can replace due to with caused by...then only usage of due to is correct...
Please correct me if my understanding is wrong...

absolutely correct. you can always replace "due to" with "caused by".
technically, then, this statement would be declaring that immigrants themselves were caused by the law.
therefore, yes, (e) is wrong for this reason.

goelmohit2002 wrote:
Hi Ron,
Can you please tell how making is modifying law in option D.....shouldn't we have a comma after 1933 similar to the original sentence....
as per my understanding....
without comma + ing modifies the immediately preceding noun....
Please correct if my understanding is incorrect.....

well, there are TWO essential modifiers in that sentence, both of which are traditionally placed after the noun. (both of them are participial modifiers - one a present participle, one a past participle)
* passed in 1933
* making it a crime...
since we can't place both of these modifiers directly after the noun, we have to place one of them after the other.
since "passed in 1933" is the shorter of the two, we elect to place that one after the noun.**
--
**this is often the "rule" that's used for the placement of two items that have the same grammatical priority - i.e., you don't know which one to place first, since they're both things that go in the same place.
for instance:
i dedicated a song to my father
i dedicated to my father a song that recounted all the lessons he taught me in life
both of these are correct constructions; if you reverse the placement in the second one, it becomes too confusing / difficult to read.

Quoted from Ron
作者: SAGA5    时间: 2010-8-2 23:36
谢楼上 解释的太好了~~~
作者: 超超琪琪格    时间: 2010-8-17 17:11
呃,我也强烈建议大家拿不准的题目到Manhattan那里看看,尤其是Ron的解释总是很精辟。
作者: larryywddd    时间: 2010-11-22 19:54
呃,我也强烈建议大家拿不准的题目到Manhattan那里看看,尤其是Ron的解释总是很精辟。
-- by 会员 超超琪琪格 (2010/8/17 17:11:22)

能发个链接
作者: camelo777    时间: 2011-5-28 07:12
没错我也觉得because of a law, law is a noun, 后面的部分是在修饰这个law,所以because of 的用法在这里没有问题
作者: ssyy23    时间: 2011-8-9 19:27
不懂啊
作者: wtx2490467    时间: 2012-2-9 06:45
这个英文解释太强大了,
作者: Ariel2011    时间: 2012-3-16 08:51
tx!!
作者: mashengyi    时间: 2012-3-16 09:20
让我来回答这个问题。刚开始我也在纠结A D。但后来发现making是用来修饰law的。所以果断选D
作者: 米米OYEAH    时间: 2012-4-23 21:39

作者: wendydou    时间: 2012-7-14 15:18
in that 不能优于because  因为OG上说了in that overly formal
作者: felixfang86    时间: 2012-11-13 22:21
18楼威武!!!
作者: 老米我来了    时间: 2013-11-13 18:55
谢谢啦!!!
作者: zr_rr    时间: 2013-11-29 11:13
yxm54 发表于 2010-6-14 18:37

是啊。。。我这驴脑子
作者: lyly85777    时间: 2014-6-12 10:37
谢谢啦!!!!!
作者: beatabear    时间: 2014-7-17 16:28
厉害!精辟!
作者: momonoah    时间: 2015-8-26 13:41
choice d doesn't do that: it writes 'because of a law', where 'a law' is definitely a noun. (the subsequent modifier 'making it a crime...' modifies 'law', and is not associated with 'because of')
作者: tianzhiwen    时间: 2015-11-3 09:38
Polka 发表于 2010-7-25 17:36
Hi guys, please read the following explanation carefully, I find it really helpful.a, b, c can all b ...

Ron大神真是个男神,太厉害了~谢谢分享
作者: Chris_Xianer    时间: 2018-3-17 22:08
E. 之所以错的原因是,due to后面加的果应该是noun,而不是整句话:

Due to should be followed by a noun. Also, this must DESCRIBE a noun. it is commonly used in speech to describe entire clauses/sentences/ideas, but that usage is wrong in the written language.
e.g.
unemployment due to offshoring is rising in factory towns. <-- here, "due to..." describes "unemployment"
much of the unemployment in factory towns is due to offshoring.
BUT
James was late due to the traffic <-- this is incorrect; you can't use "due to..." to describe an entire
sentence/clause (such as "James was late").

所以E里面变成了immigrants是因为the law
作者: LingNie1988    时间: 2018-11-14 22:49
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/forums/on-account-of-a-law-passed-in-1993-making-it-a-crime-punish-t3096.html
Ron说

a, b, c can all be eliminated because of improper idiomatic usage: the proper idiom is '...a crime for blah blah blah to hold...'
'with' in choice b is also bad: it seems to imply that immigrants arrived with the law in their hands.
choice c implies that the immigrants themselves are 'a law passed in 19xx' (analogy: 'an accomplished pianist, jay made a nice living playing at weddings' - jay is an accomplished pianist. same reading applies to this sentence, although it's considerably longer and more difficult to parse)

--

choice e changes the meaning of the sentence: taken literally, it says that the immigrants found themselves in this unenviable situation not because of the law itself, but because of the passage of the law. although somewhat plausible, this is not the intent of the original sentence.

作者: 北极没有光    时间: 2019-10-27 00:20
我不觉得Ron解释每次解释的都很好,至少这次不好……
作者: 北极没有光    时间: 2019-10-27 00:25
我觉得E的更好解释是,这个law已经被通过了  用 being passed 则表示一个正在进行的被动语态,不对。而且ron也没有发现abc 三个选项hold错了,所以我真的觉得Ron的解释只能作参考,CD上有不少人很多选项都比Ron解释的好。
作者: 锅巴要加油    时间: 2019-10-27 10:12
Because of ➕noun 现分修饰noun ,答案没问题哈

欢迎光临 ChaseDream (https://forum.chasedream.com/) Powered by Discuz! X3.3