ChaseDream

标题: Help me crack them-from Kaplan verbal workbook [打印本页]

作者: ca3ltoys    时间: 2003-12-12 01:50
标题: Help me crack them-from Kaplan verbal workbook
1. The Minnesota Multiphasic Personality Inventory, a test developed in the 1930s to assess character, attitudes, and behavior, is finally being revised, after many attacks recently as dated and culturally biased.
(A) is finally being revised, after many attacks recently as dated and culturally biased
(B) has recently been attacked as dated and culturally biased and is finally being revised
(C) is finally under revision for receiving much recent attack as dated and culturally biased
(D) was finally revised recently because it is being attacked as dated and culturally biased
(E) is finally to be revised after recent attacks as dated and culturally biased

the key is B, I wondered whether we can use is being here?

2. Before George Eliot became the popular and respected novelist known as George Eliot, she was an anonymours translator and essayist of formidably far-ranging scholarship.
(A) Before Georage Eliot became the popular and respected novelist known as
George Eliot, she was
(B) Before shse had been the popular and respected novelist, George Eliot, she was
(C) George Eliot has been the popular and respected novelist, George Eliot, after such time as she was
(D) Before George Eliot became the popular and respected novelist, George Eliot, she was
(E) George Eliot, before she was the popular and respected novelist, George Eliot, had been

the key is A, I think "before means she was an anonymous translator happened before she became, so should use had been", please tell me why?

3. The poll taxes enacted in the Sourthern states between 1889 and 1910 disenfranchised many citizens, since payment of the tax was a prerequisite for voting.
(A) and 1910 disenfranchised many citizens, since
(B) to 1910 disenfranchised many citizens, since
(C) and 1910 have disenfranchised many citizens since
(D) to 1910 has been disenfranchising many citizens because
(E) and 1910 had the effect of disenfranchising many citizens, inasmuch as

the key is A, for it's a period of time between 1889 and 1910, I think should use had disenfranchised???

4. The combination of technical expertise, commercial enterprise and that the government backs them judiciously should ensure Italian firms continuing to innovate and gain competitively in world markets.
(A) that the government backs them judiciously should ensure Italian firms continuing
(B) the government backing them judiciously should ensure Italian firms of being about to continue
(C) judicious government backing should ensure that Italian firms will continue
(D) the government's judicious backing should ensure Italian firms that they will continue
(E) the government to back them judiciously should ensure Italian firms of continuing

the key is C,  tell me why E is wrong?

Thanks a lot
作者: solome    时间: 2003-12-12 09:38
1.被动语态的进行时
2.E的结构是错误的,所以只能优选A
3.for it's a period of time between 1889 and 1910, I think should use had disenfranchised???
我觉得你对时态的应用有误解,可以找本语法书好好看一下,这个并不是过去完成时的原因
4.technical expertise, commercial enterprise 和judicious government backing 三个部分的平
行,中心是 backing,不是government.
作者: ca3ltoys    时间: 2003-12-12 11:40
标题: thanks a lot
thanks for your help!

欢迎光临 ChaseDream (https://forum.chasedream.com/) Powered by Discuz! X3.3