ChaseDream

标题: 11thOG 第57题 求教!~~:) [打印本页]

作者: rain119911    时间: 2007-9-14 00:16
标题: 11thOG 第57题 求教!~~:)

57. Among the more effective kinds of publicity that publishers can get for a new book is to have excerpts of it published in a high-circulation magazine soon before the book is published. The benefits of such excerption include not only a sure increase in sales but also a fee paid by the magazine to the book's publisher.

Which of the following conclusions is best supported by the information above?

(A)          The number of people for whom seeing an excerpt of a book in a magazine provides an adequate substitute for reading the whole book is smaller than the number for whom the excerpt stimulates a desire to read the book.

(B)         Because the financial advantage of excerpting a new book in a magazine usually accrues to the book's publisher, magazine editors are unwilling to publish excerpts from new books.

(C)         In calculating the total number of copies that a book has sold, publishers include sales of copies of magazines that featured an excerpt of the book.

(D)         The effectiveness of having excerpts of a book published in a magazine, measured in terms of increased sales of a book, is proportional to the circulation of the magazine in which the excerpts are published.

(E)         Books that are suitable for excerpting in high-circulation magazines sell more copies than books that are not suitable for excerpting.

Argument Construction

Situation                       Having an excerpt from a new book published in a high-circulation magazine leads to increased book sales; the magazine also pays a fee to the book's publisher.

Reasoning What conclusion does this information support? A conclusion must be based only on the information provided. Since the given information discusses the effect of excerpting on the sale of books, the conclusion should be about book sales. One reasonable conclusion is that reading an excerpt prompts an increased number of people to buy a book instead of merely reading the excerpt.

A Correct. This statement properly identifies the conclusion best supported by the given information; if excerpting leads to more book sales, then more people must decide to buy the book than decide to read only the excerpt.

B         This conclusion contradicts a statement in the argument; magazine editors do buy excerpts, so this conclusion is not justified.

C Information about how publishers calculate sales is not part of the information provided, so this conclusion is not justified.

D         The argument is limited to high-circulation magazines, so a conclusion related to circulation in general is unwarranted.

E         The argument is only concerned with books that are suitable for excerpting, so there is no basis for this conclusion.

我想问的是D选项为什么错了?

The effectiveness of having excerpts of a book published in a magazine,

measured in terms of increased sales of a book 
                            很明显support
   not only a sure increase in sales         proportional to the circulation of the magazine in which the excerpts are published.
                        也很清楚support  why 
but also a fee paid by the magazine to the book's publisher.

求教大家解惑~~

作者: coldfire6    时间: 2007-9-14 02:38

It asks for the answer which is supported by the given information, rather than the answer which supports the given information.

Read again.   

[此贴子已经被作者于2007-9-14 2:39:02编辑过]

作者: Whitney    时间: 2007-9-14 05:17

You are not the only one.  When I did Q57, I also selected (D).  Then, when I looked the question again, I realized that in the argument, there is no indication that there is a correlation between the effectiveness and the circulation number of magzine.  "high-circulation magazine" just a trap.  Later, I noticed that  the whole first senetence is a trap.  You can get the correct answer solely by second sentence- "The
benefits of such excerption include not only a sure increase in sales
but also a fee paid by the magazine to the book's publisher."  If I only saw 2nd sentence, I am 100% sure that I will select (A).  A similar question is Q6.  One can get the correct answer based on the first sentence. "Not all life depends on energy from sunlight."  The format of question looks like " A topic + An explanation of the topic; then question always be what is the conclusion by the information above.  Since test oragnizer can thrown many nasty things to distract test-takers, it may be a easy way for them to create new question.  When read this kind of question, be careful and looking for answer directly related to topic rather than related to explanation.

作者: yanzie    时间: 2007-12-12 15:28

http://forum.chasedream.com/dispbbs.asp?BoardID=24&replyID=2477815&id=267908&skin=0

4F

欢迎光临 ChaseDream (https://forum.chasedream.com/) Powered by Discuz! X3.3