ChaseDream

标题: Welcome to BC MSF [打印本页]

作者: oniblank    时间: 2007-4-14 04:09
标题: Welcome to BC MSF

As a proud member of BC MSF community, I would like to share some of my first hand BC MSF experience to help you make an informed decision.

Following is an email from a spring-term Chinese student I ran into last year (slightly modified for privacy purpose), hopefully you can get a feeling of 06 Spring Chinese MSF pool.

Congratulations on your admission to the MSF program and we look forward to having you join the gangs of Eagles here at Boston
                    College
(Pardon me for speaking in the tone of an admission officer since I always feel obligated to greet any new member of the BC community as part of my life in the admission office. It is very likely that you will take on the same role this fall so please be aware of such syndrome which I'm currently suffering)
Enough B/S. I find it extremely difficult to mimic Jean's style :-)

With regard to your question on the job placement for Chinese students, I regret to say that so far I still do not have a clear picture on where they are heading to and how many stayed in the U.S. in the last few years. With a smaller sample size of Chinese students this year, I'm afraid that my observation may not be as desirable as you've expected:

#1  One of my friends (Chinese) just nailed an actuarial position with an insurance firm just because she had previously worked in the same industry in Germany and is currently passing exams for the actuarial certification.

#2  A guy who worked for CICC in Beijing for two years as an IB analyst is still struggling to work his way to a prestigious financial company. But I have faith in him just because with his background and CFA level III candidacy it should just be a matter of time.

#3  I also knew a pair of Chinese MSF alumni who went on to work for the Citigroup at NY (job function unknown) and the State Street Global Markets (quant. discipline).

Again, H1B visa could potentially be an issue for some of the smaller employers out there, but I would say it all depends on your qualification and ability to B/S in English during the interview /OR ability to work on complex financial modeling.

Although I've heard prior to my own arrival here that several BC MSF graduates returned to China, I believe that most of them chose that way on their will and probably got better offers and growth opportunities back home. I would also say that most of the graduates here including Americans have had hard times locating jobs either due to their lack (if at all) of relevant work experiences or unwillingness to accept offers from minor firms. Besides, the workload of the program is somewhat burdensome so that people usually need to juggle between class projects and interviews.

All I can suggest about this program's career prospects is that it is imperative for us to NETWORK, NETWORK and NETWORK!!!

Being a small but exclusive community, BC has its advantage of facilitating mutually beneficial relationships between alums and current students. Based on my first-hand experience, I feel BC alums are prepared to help out thereby serve as much-needed tonics in your job searching ordeal. I would also recommend that you talk to professors, career advisors, and graduating students on a regular basis as most of them are always more than happy to provide you with invaluable info and advices on your career as well as academic developments.

Since you are destined to become a BC Eagle, please enjoy your time at home as much as you can in the next few months as you may not find your life at Boston as pleasant as you've hoped. (just kidding, it's definitely a rewarding and fulfilling experience. BC is highly recommended - I almost forgot my marketing job for the admission office)

The writer of the above email is now working in one premier investment banking house in Beijing, and the #2 guy mentioned above also ended up with an in-house M&A job here in States.

As for our 06 Fall Chinese MSF pool, we have 3 ppl from Mainland, one already accepted a full time offer from Citigroup NY (finance function),  another received but turned down a full time offer from PwC NY (auditing) for a banking internship in HK(institutional sales function).

Again, H1b could be the biggest risk for those studying in States and want to work here right after. 08’s H1b quota ran out on the first day of accepting applications, and its impact is still being analyzed. However, I believe this issue should not be a factor in deciding your offers, since no matter which school in U.S. you attend, you have to face it in the same manner. And compared to those European countries, U.S. immigration policy can still be viewed as a loose one.

From my standing point, BC's finance academic vigor is solid. Alan Marcus, the guy who wrote the most commonly used investment textbook serves as the chair of MSF program. At the same time, you are going to find tons of practitioners in teaching role, lots of them are big time Wall Street veterans. Boston, as the hub for investment management industry, gives BC a traditional strength in this business (Peter Lynch is actually a BC alumni). In the MSF program, some of you can expect to manage around half a million real dollars from BC endowment fund through a course called “Center for Investment Research and Management”. Also, as a city full of universities, Boston offers you chances to interact with people from the most prominent universities in the world (BC MSF actually offers a joint class with MIT Sloan every year, but keep in mind it’s hard to get into).

The school is considered to be one of the top private education institutions in the east coast. Alumni network is strong even in some of the bulge bracket firms in NY. Every year those firms recruit in BC for their front office jobs. You may get some interviews from them, but keep in mind the selection process is still very competitive. Being just an average BC alumni can never get your feet into those firms.

To finish up, I want to use JZ's tone a little bit. For those of you who managed through the bloody application process and feel destined to become a BC Eagle, Welcome to Chestnut Hill!

作者: usdream    时间: 2007-4-14 04:23

thank you so much, LZ

Could you also share your interview experiences with us?

作者: Salome    时间: 2007-4-14 04:48
thanks for sharing
any MSA info?

作者: usdream    时间: 2007-4-14 04:57

and may I know how you compare UIUC MSF vs BC MSF?

Looking forward ur kind sharing your opinion on this.

作者: shanexin    时间: 2007-4-14 08:58

How can I reach current MSF Chinese students or Chinese alumni?

作者: usdream    时间: 2007-4-14 20:17

d

作者: oniblank    时间: 2007-4-14 21:33
以下是引用usdream在2007-4-14 4:23:00的发言:

thank you so much, LZ

Could you also share your interview experiences with us?

我的interview当时问了很多CAREER计划的问题

作者: oniblank    时间: 2007-4-14 21:34
以下是引用usdream在2007-4-14 4:57:00的发言:

and may I know how you compare UIUC MSF vs BC MSF?

Looking forward ur kind sharing your opinion on this.

这个我作为insider不好说

作者: oniblank    时间: 2007-4-14 21:39
以下是引用Salome在2007-4-14 4:48:00的发言:
thanks for sharing
any MSA info?

不清楚MSA,但是有很多MSA校友就在般上阿,用蜘蛛人头像的那个就是

作者: oniblank    时间: 2007-4-14 21:39
以下是引用shanexin在2007-4-14 8:58:00的发言:

How can I reach current MSF Chinese students or Chinese alumni?

给你发信息了

作者: Z-Spider    时间: 2007-4-15 03:09
哈哈,上海**大学第一帅哥的帖子一定要顶,丫暴露我身份了改天换个头像去
作者: usdream    时间: 2007-4-15 06:15

oniblank

非常感谢您的热心回复。

我昨天打电话去BC 问了一下。 Admission office MM Ms. Meghan 说面试我的是一个叫Richard Messing MSF Current student。她说他是member of admission committee and also as a student, he is now working in admission office.

我想问一下,

面对这样一个背景的面试官,

我应该注意哪些points 呢?

一般来说在30分钟的面试里,

他会问什么样的问题呢?

而我在反问他问题的时候,应该注意哪些可以问,那些不可以问吗?

这次电话面试和以后的merit fund i.e. scholarship

有直接的或决定性的作用吗?

我需要准备academic knowledge of finance 吗?I mean whether technical questions would be raised or not.

关于job placement, 我可以说我想毕业以后在香港的investment bank 工作吗?(我现在在香港工作,

top tier investment bank 做过internship 之前)

又或是BC只关心学生在美国的job placement?

不好意思,

一下子问了那么多,

因为比较急。

恳切期望您能不吝赐教阿!

作者: usdream    时间: 2007-4-15 15:47
d
作者: usdream    时间: 2007-4-15 20:03
d
作者: oniblank    时间: 2007-4-16 05:32
以下是引用usdream在2007-4-15 6:15:00的发言:

oniblank

非常感谢您的热心回复。

我昨天打电话去BC 问了一下。 Admission office MM Ms. Meghan 说面试我的是一个叫Richard Messing MSF Current student。她说他是member of admission committee and also as a student, he is now working in admission office.

我想问一下,

面对这样一个背景的面试官,

我应该注意哪些points 呢?

一般来说在30分钟的面试里,

他会问什么样的问题呢?

而我在反问他问题的时候,应该注意哪些可以问,那些不可以问吗?

这次电话面试和以后的merit fund i.e. scholarship

有直接的或决定性的作用吗?

我需要准备academic knowledge of finance 吗?I mean whether technical questions would be raised or not.

关于job placement, 我可以说我想毕业以后在香港的investment bank 工作吗?(我现在在香港工作,

top tier investment bank 做过internship 之前)

又或是BC只关心学生在美国的job placement?

不好意思,

一下子问了那么多,

因为比较急。

恳切期望您能不吝赐教阿!

1。Rich是我一届的同学,属于比较玩得开的美国帅哥,注意不要显得自己很nerdy,表现出TALENTED和自信。

2。不知道,我觉得今年可能会都是用一个FORMAT,你也许想问问你前面面试的。

3。问得问题最好可以让他觉得你是做足了HOMEWORK的, 别问“能不能延期毕业”“能不能实习”之类的关于PROGRAM本身的安排的问题,最近这些人在烦这个。

4。据说FUNDING是仅仅依据你GMAT和GPA定的,但不确定。

5。我觉得如果你面他,FINANCE本科的话可以不用担心TECHNICAL问题了(他自己都搞不定,哈哈)。放轻松,保证的你的答案SIMPLE & LOGICAL。

6。绝对可以说,但同时准备好你怎样在美国学习的同时保持和香港RECRUITER的联系。

希望你可以加入BC MSF。我跟RICH很熟,你如果向知道更多的我们这届MSF的消息,给我写EMAIL吧,抵制我短消息你了。

作者: z520m    时间: 2007-4-16 10:17
BC,果然牛校阿
作者: ellen要雪耻    时间: 2007-4-16 10:47

强烈呼吁usdream写面经

作者: shanexin    时间: 2007-4-16 11:05
msf我不太清楚,mba/msf可以参考我在mba版的面筋
作者: 金镶玉    时间: 2007-4-16 13:26
请问中国学生有拿奖学金的么?
作者: usdream    时间: 2007-4-16 23:14

thank you so much, oniblank

作者: xun    时间: 2007-4-19 16:50
ddd
作者: queenannie    时间: 2007-4-20 06:48

作者: ydingmilan    时间: 2007-10-6 04:32

LZ,听说BC对于GPA要求很高,很多人都跟我说没有3.4就不要申请了,我的GPA只有3.1,尽管在复旦,但是还是硬伤~~~

LZ觉得呢?~~~

作者: 00夏花    时间: 2007-11-29 23:21
给LZ发信息了,还望LZ能给俺个指点。。。
作者: 繁盛空间    时间: 2008-7-9 00:34
我只想问问就业
作者: teresazhchen    时间: 2009-3-10 01:24

再次看到JZ的邮件真是感慨万千阿

赫赫

顶楼的贴子里06入学的三个大陆人。一个在纽约花旗潇洒了一年半以后回北京了,一个专心在波士顿陪老公去了(应该是,不熟),最后一个在北京C投行已经干了一年多IBD了。

时间过得真快,赫赫

作者: teresazhchen    时间: 2009-3-10 01:25

btw,我是马甲,有事别找我

作者: chenpaul    时间: 2009-3-10 11:55
看了BC MSF的就业报告, 看来这个项目(平均工作经验3-4年)不仅为工作经验不多的学生提供EntryLevel工作机会,还为工作较长的人提供MBA Level工作机会,不错。
作者: lelouchn    时间: 2012-3-2 10:08
Is there a interview before accepted by BC? If Ido not get any interview request, that means I would be rejected?
作者: cgzjessieli    时间: 2012-7-25 21:41
请问大陆本科应届生可以申请MSF 么?
作者: bluescream    时间: 2014-6-7 19:42
How can I reach Chinese BC MSF alumni? Is there any QQ group or wechat group?
作者: pariszhuang    时间: 2014-9-7 11:21
楼主请问工作经验一定要吗???
作者: myjsunshine    时间: 2016-1-22 15:57
oniblank 发表于 2007-4-14 04:09
As a proud member of BC MSF community, I would like to share some of my first hand BC MSF exper ...

看一下!               

欢迎光临 ChaseDream (https://forum.chasedream.com/) Powered by Discuz! X3.3