ChaseDream

标题: Dinged by Kellogg, NYU, Wharton and Chicago [打印本页]

作者: qxh107    时间: 2007-3-8 12:26
标题: Dinged by Kellogg, NYU, Wharton and Chicago
Just got email from Kellogg that I was dinged. Had Kellogg interview on Feb.20 in Toronto. Also got dinged by wharton, chocago, NYU. No interview for last three. Feel extremely frustrated. GMAT:730/5.0, w/e 5 years media industry in China. Ph.D. of Communications from US. May be I do not need a MBA.
Good luck to all CDers.

作者: sjseido    时间: 2007-3-8 12:32
Pat, pat!  Another door will be opening for you ahead.
作者: sjseido    时间: 2007-3-8 12:38
以下是引用qxh107在2007-3-8 12:26:00的发言:
Just got email from Kellogg that I was dinged. Had Kellogg interview on Feb.20 in Toronto. Also got dinged by wharton, chocago, NYU. No interview for last three. Feel extremely frustrated. GMAT:730/5.0, w/e 5 years media industry in China. Ph.D. of Communications from US. May be I do not need a MBA.                                                                                          With  this background, you really do not need a MBA.
Good luck to all CDers.

作者: rgnrgn    时间: 2007-3-8 12:43
I see ding as a relieve. As long as you have tried hard enough, you will have no regret. US economy may sink in the next two years, so pursuing an MBA degree may not a good choice anyway. I see people from top MBA programs got very ordinary jobs in 2003.

作者: qxh107    时间: 2007-3-8 12:43
haha. Thanks sjseido. FYI, the reason I want to have a MBA is that I want to do media investment in the future.

作者: robinst    时间: 2007-3-8 12:48

PH.D...hmm...hard to convince them u need an MBA...so not a surprise...definitely it's not because u r not good...but you may be over-qualified academically.

作者: starlike    时间: 2007-3-8 13:13
以下是引用rgnrgn在2007-3-8 12:43:00的发言:
I see ding as a relieve. As long as you have tried hard enough, you will have no regret. US economy may sink in the next two years, so pursuing an MBA degree may not a good choice anyway. I see people from top MBA programs got very ordinary jobs in 2003.

I kind of agree with you! Pursuit of MBA is a kind of investment. Market Timing is very very very important!!
作者: summerchen    时间: 2007-3-8 13:41
Comfort! I don't think those who got admitted in the schools will all be more outstanding than you. Although frustrated, but you may feel happy for other things!
作者: greenlethe    时间: 2007-3-8 13:48

楼主放松些~~~~~~~~~~~~我也被kellogg叮了,这个早晨.

有些东西是注定,福与祸谁也不能提前预知的.开心点~

作者: lifeup    时间: 2007-3-8 14:20
PHD already? I doubt u need a MBA too...??
作者: qxh107    时间: 2007-3-8 15:10
I think there is some confusion here. Generally speaking, master degree and Ph.D. degree are very different in terms of career development. If you want to build a career in academia and love to teach or research, Ph.D. is a must. But if you want a career in industry, master is much useful than Ph.D. It is vey true for social science, liberal arts, etc. Ph.D. programs more focus on teaching and research methods, and more often than not these programs are isolated from the real world. I took some classes with DBA students who did a lot of researches which were useless. My expertise is media policy analysis, but I want to do media investment in the future. So my Ph.D. does not really help me to achieve my career goal.

作者: 盐水毛豆    时间: 2007-3-8 16:56
标题: DELETED

DELETED

[此贴子已经被作者于2009/7/30 10:45:11编辑过]

作者: lucyzl517    时间: 2007-3-8 17:05

我总是觉得MBA才是人生的最后一个学位...听说过有PHD去读MBA的,到没听说有MBA去读PHD的(不过也许我是井底之蛙)...

学校不会因为有PHD拒人的吧...

作者: trafalgar    时间: 2007-3-8 17:18
以下是引用lucyzl517在2007-3-8 17:05:00的发言:

学校不会因为有PHD拒人的吧...

1997年诺贝尔经济学奖得主斯科尔斯1964年获芝加哥MBA学位,1969年获芝加哥大学经济学博士学位。
作者: robinst    时间: 2007-3-8 17:18
以下是引用qxh107在2007-3-8 15:10:00的发言:
I think there is some confusion here. Generally speaking, master degree and Ph.D. degree are very different in terms of career development. If you want to build a career in academia and love to teach or research, Ph.D. is a must. But if you want a career in industry, master is much useful than Ph.D. It is vey true for social science, liberal arts, etc. Ph.D. programs more focus on teaching and research methods, and more often than not these programs are isolated from the real world. I took some classes with DBA students who did a lot of researches which were useless. My expertise is media policy analysis, but I want to do media investment in the future. So my Ph.D. does not really help me to achieve my career goal.

your argument is justified.....however, suppose you r not very old...then you spent 20+ years in bachelor, then another 3 or 4 years in Ph, D, then you want to spend another 2-year in MBA....it's kinda of too-academic...at least to me, in your life to day... the school would wonder (or i am wondering)...this guy spends the most precious time of his life, golden time...all in school.....so, where's his chance to practise in the real business world??? ---say, I refused to take my master's....by telling my parents, now time for me to get dipped in the business world, since that's what i want to heading to.....

Business is all about real practice...well....i want to argue nothing....but just share my personal opinion...that if i were from the adcom, i would hv above logic....unless you hv very powerful essays to dispel my doubt.

作者: robinst    时间: 2007-3-8 17:21
以下是引用trafalgar在2007-3-8 17:18:00的发言:

1997年诺贝尔经济学奖得主斯科尔斯1964年获芝加哥MBA学位,1969年获芝加哥大学经济学博士学位。

faint.....

Cat u rock....

作者: vicomte    时间: 2007-3-8 17:31
以下是引用lucyzl517在2007-3-8 17:05:00的发言:

学校不会因为有PHD拒人的吧...

这倒是,我们公司有个牛人哈佛博士毕业后又读的MBA,汗

作者: qxh107    时间: 2007-3-8 23:00
robinst MM, your comment is reasonable. The time line of my past is: 96 graduated from Beijing Univ., 96-01 worked for major Chinese media, 01-06 studied for my Ph.D. May be it is better that I took my Ph.D. first, then worked for media industry. I do not know. It is kinda funny that the kellogg alumni who gave me the interview told me that he wanted to have his Ph.D., but he failed to do so. May be I will try again next year.

作者: wwwzzz    时间: 2007-3-9 04:41

我觉得还不要放弃吧,除非有更合适的职业道路,毕竟读MBA转行容易得多。但这之前还需要再多推敲一下自己的职业计划,是否和学校能提供的相吻合。比如究竟什么是“媒体投资”?在商学院没有听过这个说法,具体指什么呢?

另外你在学校呆了五年,没有工作就要继续读,这样会被认为离开工作环境太久了,缺乏新鲜的经验可以分享。不知道你在读博期间有没有做过什么兼职或者实习,和未来职业计划相关的?

作者: yaoyao99    时间: 2007-3-9 05:21

Or you can go teach at b-school.

http://dor.hbs.edu/fi_redirect.jhtml?facInfo=bio&facEmId=ymoon@hbs.edu&loc=extn

http://web.mit.edu/shass/soundings/issue_98s/dep_newfac_98s.html#5

Assistant professor in the Program in Writing and Humanistic Studies, conducts research on human-computer interaction and mediated communication.

Associate Professor of Business Administration in the Marketing unit at the Harvard Business School.

作者: qxh107    时间: 2007-3-9 07:19
wwwzzz, and yaoayo99, thanks for your guys' advise. Some schools ,such as Kellogg and NYU, have media concentration which is focused on merger and acquisition, stratigic operation, etc. For example, the company I worked for is the major investor of Sohu.com. It is also the publisher of Harvard Business Review, and Forbs in China. The company is a VC which concentrates its investment in media industry.

作者: inseadsh    时间: 2007-3-9 23:10

No worries, buddy. Every cloud has its silver lining. Life is full of uncertainties and challenges. I believe you are mature enough to get over it. You will get your chance very soon!

作者: redwavezheng    时间: 2007-9-1 13:17
mba is a start.

欢迎光临 ChaseDream (https://forum.chasedream.com/) Powered by Discuz! X3.3