ChaseDream

标题: 求助涛涛gwd-2套-29&30 [打印本页]

作者: volleyball    时间: 2006-7-27 14:08
标题: 求助涛涛gwd-2套-29&30

Several financial officers of the company spoke on condition that they not be named in the press reports.

1. that they not be named
  2. that their names will not be used
  3. that their names are not used
  4. of not having their names
  5. of not naming them

i took A because of the subjunctive. but the answer is D. Is there an usage of " on condition of doing"

appreciation for help

Q30

Most insomnia is not an illness or a physical condition so much as a symptom of another problem that may simply be a reaction to certain medications, anxiety about travel, or stress before a job interview.

1. an illness or a physical condition so much as a symptom of another problem that may simply be a reaction to certain medications
  2. an illness or a physical condition so much as symptomatic of another problem that may be a simple one, like a reaction caused by certain medications

C .so much an illness or a physical condition but a symptom of another problem that may be as simple as when certain medications cause a reaction

D.  so much an illness or a physical condition, but it is a symptom of another problem, maybe a simple one like certain medications causing a reaction

E. so much an illness or a physical condition but symptomatic of another problem, maybe simply a reaction to certain medications

the answer is E. point of this question seems to be aobut Not --But. Yet, i wonder that "so much "is parallel to the "symptomatic of ". In addition,  is "Maybe" an proper expression in GMAT?

Appreciation for help

[此贴子已经被作者于2006-7-27 14:09:22编辑过]

作者: gonghao    时间: 2006-7-27 14:38

answer to first question is

A.

-----------------

Second question has no perfect answer;among the questions given,E has better structure which is "not...but" than that in choice A whose structre is "not so much A as B" ,which has been wrongly used in "not... so much as" way .One the other hand ,symptomatic in choice E is an adjective not a noun which should be correct used and word "maybe" is not a standard uniform written english in GMAT.So just took the better one in either choice A or choice E.In some extent ,choice E looks much better than choice A.Last but the more important is, this question does not fit the style of ETS and the choices are not characteristic with what ETS prefers.

作者: volleyball    时间: 2006-7-29 14:03
thanks
作者: MayFair    时间: 2006-7-31 10:01

For Q29.

In the version I downloaded, the answer of the question is C.Not A.

作者: MayFair    时间: 2006-7-31 10:32

Q29,

我的语法很菜。多靠语感而不是语法。

所以,我不知道condition that 要接虚拟。

我在生活中经常看到"Terms and conditons".大多是用一般时而不是虚拟。E.g

Documents may be copied for personal use only on the condition that copyright and source indications are also copied, no modifications are made and the document is copied entirely.

所以,我觉得 C 挺好。

Q30,I chose A too.

I agree with GongHao that both A and E are not perfect.

But to me, it is more acceptable to use "not something as much as " than "not ... but" without parallel nouns.

not so much an illness or a physical condition but symptomatic

I still prefer A.

我回了flyingceleste,顺便也会一下你的.怕你不看别人的帖子.

欢迎光临 ChaseDream (https://forum.chasedream.com/) Powered by Discuz! X3.3