ChaseDream

标题: Berkeley Haas with $$ [打印本页]

作者: charlespan    时间: 2006-4-3 10:11
标题: Berkeley Haas with $$

Very few people discuss about Berkeley here, and I'm wondering whether Berkeley Haas is regarded in China as a top MBA program. I was admitted by Haas with 50% scholarship, but my worry is that Haas doesn't help my career as much as I want if it's not considered within top 10. Comments are appreciated!

作者: zdcgy    时间: 2006-4-3 10:17

congratulations! it's really hard to get into haas, not to mention having scholarship. (just compare the selectivity of top15 schools)

though not ranked highly by BW, haas is still a top10 program by other rankings. I have a friend studying there and graduating this year. He told me that nearly all prestigous IB and MC come to campus for recruitment.

作者: royalpest    时间: 2006-4-3 10:20
Congratulations!
作者: gonghao    时间: 2006-4-3 10:29

congratulations!!!

BTW,I got the HASS brochure few days ago and I really got interseting in that school which is highly ranked in chinese mind.

Can you share your background and information about HASS in your personal view with us ?

作者: terp    时间: 2006-4-3 11:09

congratulation.  Although I was admitted to Haas, I have to say that Haas is not ranked top 10 everywhere and it's NOT one of the M7.  But let's face it, even hbs is not ranked top 10 everywhere.    My point is do not take the ranking too serious.  

By the way, will you attend the DAH next weekend?

[此贴子已经被作者于2006-4-3 11:54:03编辑过]

作者: nautic    时间: 2006-4-3 11:21
Haas is not one of M7
作者: terp    时间: 2006-4-3 11:55
以下是引用nautic在2006-4-3 11:21:00的发言:
Haas is not one of M7

Sorry, a typo and nice catch.  Corrected.

作者: jkmbe    时间: 2006-4-3 12:19

Berkeley is a great school and 50% off is a great offer,even though it might not be considered top 10 AT THIS POINT,who knows 5 years from now, unless you are expecting an offer from H/S/W, I would suggest take the offer. By the way, I remember seeing some interesting threads on BW regarding Hass.

作者: gonghao    时间: 2006-4-3 13:50

I can give you the link as follow

http://forums.businessweek.com/n/pfx/forum.aspx?nav=messages&tsn=83&tid=67282&webtag=bw-bschools

http://forums.businessweek.com/n/pfx/forum.aspx?nav=messages&tsn=11&tid=68305&webtag=bw-bschools

作者: xiaoyi2015    时间: 2006-4-3 17:32
LZ,share下背景吧
作者: charlespan    时间: 2006-4-3 19:07

background? here you go.

i'm from taiwan. 750 gmat, 3.7 undergraduate gpa and 10 years experience. last 8 years in VC/PE/IB in taiwan/hong kong/us.

location matters to me as i plan to continue my vc career or become an entrepreneur after mba. the silicon valley network/environment is hard to beat.

stanford is the only school i want, but it puts me on waitlist (probably because i'm 34 already?). didn't even bother apply to other M7 such as K/Chi/Col due to location. i have no interest in IB/consulting anymore.

not sure if i give up berkeley if no love from stanford. i'm a vc vice president covering greater china now. no mba is not necessarily worse than berkeley mba. what do you guys think?  

作者: whoopsnow    时间: 2006-4-3 19:14
well... i personally think if you don't like your berkeley offer... can you give it to me...

just joking lar... congratulations!!

作者: yorkzhong    时间: 2006-4-3 19:20
以下是引用whoopsnow在2006-4-3 19:14:00的发言:
well... i personally think if you don't like your berkeley offer... can you give it to me...

just joking lar... congratulations!!

I like this idea - people should share offer with others when they don't want.

LZ - I am kind of in the similar sitiuation with you. For you - I didn't see the necessarity of getting an MBA, to be honest. I am also struggling on my own decision now (not Berkeley).

作者: ducky710    时间: 2006-4-3 23:27

Dear LZ

May I know for which round u applied? I am still waiting for news from Haas although I don't think I'll be admitted.

作者: terp    时间: 2006-4-3 23:43
Although stanford will not admit it, it is the consensus that S loves younger applicants, so does H.  
作者: Maowu    时间: 2006-4-4 00:36
以下是引用charlespan在2006-4-3 19:07:00的发言:

background? here you go.

i'm from taiwan. 750 gmat, 3.7 undergraduate gpa and 10 years experience. last 8 years in VC/PE/IB in taiwan/hong kong/us.

location matters to me as i plan to continue my vc career or become an entrepreneur after mba. the silicon valley network/environment is hard to beat.

stanford is the only school i want, but it puts me on waitlist (probably because i'm 34 already?). didn't even bother apply to other M7 such as K/Chi/Col due to location. i have no interest in IB/consulting anymore.

not sure if i give up berkeley if no love from stanford. i'm a vc vice president covering greater china now. no mba is not necessarily worse than berkeley mba. what do you guys think?  

My two cents:

If you want to go back Asia, Hass is definitely a excellent choice.

But in north america, it is still not in the super boys club(like H.W.S , tuck..).

It is definitely a great school in academic...but it's not a school the rich kids will choose...

But anyway...based on your background, why stay in US?  Asia is the place for you to rock

And if you want to stay in west coast, Hass is the 2nd best choice for you... Standford is better, but 50% scholarship.....

[此贴子已经被作者于2006-4-4 0:37:56编辑过]

作者: robbiechen    时间: 2006-4-4 00:46

In my opinion, you can get back to VC business in bay area after MBA because high tech industry there will be a heaven for VC.

Wish nothing but the best for you.

作者: beechanooi    时间: 2006-4-4 01:10
Bay Area is best place to develop connection with VC, especially VCs that are interested in investing in China and other APAC locations. There are lots of networking activities going on in this area to connect VCs and entrepreneurs, or to exchange ideas and share investing experience. In one VC forum, I asked the partner of a VC firm about the chance of getting a job in VC after MBA from Berkeley or Chicago. He said "It doesn't matter which school you are from. In VC's world, it more depends on who you know. If you want me talk about MBA, definitely Harvard and Stanford are better."
作者: hph    时间: 2006-4-4 04:56

cong

作者: ztao9999    时间: 2006-4-10 09:17

The executive MBA programs offered by Berkeley-Columbia or Wharton West might be a better option for you if you are already located in the SF Bay Area or plan to work here. Stanford should be the only reason that you pursue a full-time MBA.

作者: charlespan    时间: 2006-4-10 09:33

to ztao9999,

thanks, your points are well take. the only thing is that i'm currently in asia...

berkeley-columbia and wharton west are great programs, but they're much more expensive (especially when i have scholarship from berkeley). unless i get a job in silicon valley first, it's hard for me to consider them. i once thought about attending berkeley first and trying to find a job there during my first year so that i can see if i can switch to the berkeley-columbia emba program.

that's why berkeley is still attractive to me. it's a decent program anyways, and it at least opens a door back to silicon valley in a less expensive, less risky way. mba diploma is less important to me. i'm already in a position to hire m7 mbas.

作者: gonghao    时间: 2006-4-10 10:21

I think HASS is not bad ,to be frankly,it's great in my opinion.You still have a dream in finding a job in scilion valley and no matter you will get the chance to attend the berkeley-columbia emba program or you just stay in Berkel-Hass for MBA,you will never go wrong in either.So HASS is the better choice .To be the worse,you can get an EMBA in berkeley-columbia when you finished the MBA in HASS.So if I were you I'll give my deposit to HASS and waiting for the news from Standford.If you got the admission from Standford ,I think you will forget the deposit you given to HASS and go to Standford forthrightly.So in the worst situation you will loose the deposit only.

It's my two cents ,hopes that will do you help......

作者: jennytang2004    时间: 2006-4-10 11:02
it's a good school, highly ranked in CA.
作者: IDAISY    时间: 2006-4-10 11:46
以下是引用charlespan在2006-4-10 9:33:00的发言:

to ztao9999,

thanks, your points are well take. the only thing is that i'm currently in asia...

berkeley-columbia and wharton west are great programs, but they're much more expensive (especially when i have scholarship from berkeley). unless i get a job in silicon valley first, it's hard for me to consider them. i once thought about attending berkeley first and trying to find a job there during my first year so that i can see if i can switch to the berkeley-columbia emba program.

that's why berkeley is still attractive to me. it's a decent program anyways, and it at least opens a door back to silicon valley in a less expensive, less risky way. mba diploma is less important to me. i'm already in a position to hire m7 mbas.

yep, you are correct that mba diploma means less to you given your current career path and position. well, the foremost thing you want to get from an mba study is the network and then the relocation opportunity to silicon valley. you may want to consider the sloan program at stanford. its a ten-month master degree. but you will be able to leverage all the resources of stanford gsb, at the same time you build your network within stanford community. since stanford mba is a small program, its alumni activities often include alumni from other schools. furthermore, this program offers loans and costs less money than other executive programs...........

check this out if you are interested: http://www.gsb.stanford.edu/sloan/

欢迎光临 ChaseDream (https://forum.chasedream.com/) Powered by Discuz! X3.3