ChaseDream

标题: gwd 28-18 [打印本页]

作者: ershao    时间: 2005-12-24 16:26
标题: gwd 28-18

Q 18:

Which of the following most logically completes the passage?

Concerned about financial well-being of its elderly citizens, the government of Runagiadecided two years ago to increase by 20 percent the government-provided pensionpaid to all Runagians over 65.  Inflation in the intervening period has been negligible,and the increase has been duly received by all eligible Runagians.  Nevertheless,many of them are no better off financially than they were before the increase, in large part because ________.

A.       They rely entirely on the government pension for their income

B.       Runagian banks are so inefficient that it can take up to three weeks to cash a

pension check

C.       They buy goods whose prices tend to rise especially fast in times of inflation

D.       The pension was increased when the number of elderly Runagians below the poverty level reached an all-time high

E.        In Runagia children typically supplement the income of elderly parents, but

only by enough to provide them with a comfortable living

Answer:e

不懂, 为何选E?

作者: 花篮的花儿香    时间: 2005-12-26 13:31
我选D
作者: shaoji    时间: 2005-12-31 13:33
老人总收入等于政府补贴加孩子补贴,孩子的补贴只会使老人达到一定生活水平,就是说老人的总收入其实是不变的,所以not better off,这题应该选E.
作者: vironica_ee    时间: 2006-4-24 01:33

Finnaly, I know why it's E.

I have checked the Merriam-Webster for the meaning of Pension.

Pension means: a fixed sum paid regularly to a person.

So for all elderly in R, it is in the same amount to have a annual pension. And the increase of amount of poor elderly in R will not affect the (per person) pension that elderly have. for the question stated that, the government increases the pension,which is already an average money that every elderly get, yet not the whole funding of the government, which is all the money government gives.

it's a regret that we are not familiar with the western culture, otherwise we should know what pension is and do not mess it up with this question.

Hope what I said helps.

作者: hedge    时间: 2006-12-9 12:50
thanks
作者: snowofjune    时间: 2007-12-13 12:06
up

欢迎光临 ChaseDream (https://forum.chasedream.com/) Powered by Discuz! X3.3