ChaseDream

标题: 请教比较对象 [打印本页]

作者: joywzy    时间: 2003-8-16 07:43
标题: 请教比较对象
Once positioned in space, the Hubble Space Telescope will capture light from source twenty times fainter compared to those that can be detected by ground based instruments.
A.    compared to those that can be detected
B.    compared to those they can detect
C.    than that can be detected
D.    than those that can be detected
E.    than those detecting
Ans: D,I choose C

第二个比较对象答案说的是sources,我认为应该是light。如何判断第二个比较对象是什么呢?

谢谢。
作者: merlion    时间: 2003-8-16 08:53
我的理解
... capture light from source [(which is) twenty times fainter than those that can be detected by ...], 后面的从句修饰source, source 和source比.
作者: 1stzhang    时间: 2003-8-16 09:18
(1)你看看can be detected这个动作的合理发出只能是sources
(2)即使你说的是对的,也要改为that that can be detected,定语从句引导词做主语不能省略
作者: joywzy    时间: 2003-8-16 09:34
以下是引用1stzhang在2003-8-16 9:18:00的发言:
(1)你看看can be detected这个动作的合理发出只能是sources
(2)即使你说的是对的,也要改为that that can be detected,定语从句引导词做主语不能省略

1stzhang,

(1)detect the light,也是可以的吧?

(2)同意。
作者: 1stzhang    时间: 2003-8-16 12:04
光是介质,sources是真正要检测的东西,(2)是最关键的错误
作者: sunder    时间: 2003-8-16 12:52
faint修饰light比较合逻辑一点,窃以为这道题应该不算分。
作者: linlin315    时间: 2003-8-16 19:51
我认为twenty times fainter 修饰light比较合理一些。
C. than that can be detected,同意应该为than that that can be detected
D. than those that can be detected,这个选项用those也没有错因为that can be detected by ground based instruments.可以是好几种光。
所以这个比较就是Hubble Space Telescope 探测的光和地球上其它仪器观测的光之间的比较。

作者: joice    时间: 2003-8-16 21:07

the Hubble Space Telescope will capture light from source twenty times fainter than those that can be detected.

the Hubble Space Telescope will capture light twenty times fainter than  that that can be detected.

both are right.  answer is  D.

作者: joywzy    时间: 2003-8-17 06:52
以下是引用joice在2003-8-16 21:07:00的发言:

the Hubble Space Telescope will capture light from source twenty times fainter than those that can be detected.

the Hubble Space Telescope will capture light twenty times fainter than  that that can be detected.

joice, 这两句中的比较对象不一样啊?对吧?都是可以的?
作者: joice    时间: 2003-8-17 10:05
以下是引用joice在2003-8-16 21:07:00的发言:

The 1st sentence :  source ---fainter than those (sources)
The second :          light ------fainter than that(light ---uncountable so use 'that')
If compare light, the sentence should  looks like the second one, the " twenty times fainter---" close to LIGHT not to SOURCE.
The 1st sentence is compare sources, answer is D.

作者: sunder    时间: 2003-8-17 14:45
以下是引用linlin315在2003-8-16 19:51:00的发言:
D. than those that can be detected,这个选项用those也没有错因为that can be detected by ground based instruments.可以是好几种光。

this interpretation is quite dangerous. it seems that in Gmat grammar "those" cannot refer to the plural of former single object. thus, it is possible that this somewhat flawed question might have misled you. not worthy.
作者: mindfree    时间: 2003-8-17 18:46
First of all, in GMAT, you can never say something like "The light of this object is not as bright as those of other objects". It is wrong. The singular or plural form has to agree. So the above sentence should be "The light of this object is not as bright as that of any of the other objects".

In this sentence, "those" can only refer to "source" because "twenty times fainter" follows "source" closely. So even if you change it to "that that can be detected...", "that still refers to "source". I agree with Merlion.
作者: joywzy    时间: 2003-8-17 18:57
以下是引用merlion在2003-8-16 8:53:00的发言:
我的理解
... capture light from source [(which is) twenty times fainter than those that can be detected by a third the price of
...], 后面的从句修饰source, source 和source比.

mindfree, i am still confused.

If those refer to sources, the sentence shall be expressed as :

capture light from source  twenty times fainter than from those that can be detected by a third the price of

why from is omitted?

作者: mindfree    时间: 2003-8-17 21:17
Joy,

"source" fainter than "sources". Why add "from"?

See this example: I received some money from someone 100 times poorer than I. Shall we add "from" in front of "I"?
作者: joywzy    时间: 2003-8-17 21:43
mindfree,

I received some money from someone 100 times poorer than I.

of course, we shall not add from in front of i.It is clear.

capture light from source  twenty times fainter than from those that can be detected by

But i think that from those shall be emphasized to express the second term of comparison.from source is parralled with from those.right?

作者: mindfree    时间: 2003-8-17 22:49
It all depends on what you are comparing.

If you are comparing source to source, of course no "from". And it is exactly the same structure of my example.

If you are comparing light to light, you need "from" as there will be a "light" or "that" in front of the "source". The light from this source is darker than that from the other source. You can not just use a "from" there. It is just not right.
作者: joywzy    时间: 2003-8-18 06:07
mindfree, i got it now. Thank you very much.

欢迎光临 ChaseDream (https://forum.chasedream.com/) Powered by Discuz! X3.3