搜索
123下一页
返回列表 发新帖
查看: 3292|回复: 20

[阅读小分队] 【Native Speaker每日综合训练—46系列】【46-01】文史哲

[复制链接]
发表于 2014-12-14 07:37:22 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
内容:枣糕兔 编辑:枣糕兔

Stay tuned for our latest post! Follow us here ---> http://weibo.com/u/3476904471

Part I: Speaker

Social maps that reveal a city's intersections — and separations

[Rephrase, 05’34]
(We apologize that the YouKu link is currently unavailable. To see the TED talk video, please copy the link down below and paste it into your browser. Or you can use the audio version.)

Source: TED talk
http://www.ted.com/talks/dave_troy_social_maps_that_reveal_a_city_s_intersections_and_separations?language=en

本帖子中包含更多资源

您需要 登录 才可以下载或查看,没有帐号?立即注册

x
 楼主| 发表于 2014-12-14 07:37:23 | 显示全部楼层
Part II: Speed

How Jon Stewart made us more Muslim-ish
Aasif Mandvi and Dean Obeidallah   |   November 12, 2014

[Time 2]
(CNN) -- "How can Jon Stewart hire you to be 'The Daily Show''s senior Muslim correspondent when you don't even know how to pronounce Salaam Al-aikum?!"

This was the immediate reaction of Aasif Mandvi's father after Aasif told him the news. His father then quickly followed up that comment with the admonition, "If Jon Stewart asks you any questions about Islam, don't say a word, tell him to call your mother, she knows everything. And don't embarrass your entire family from here to Mumbai ... oh, and by the way, we are very proud of you, congratulations."

It's not like Aasif didn't know anything about being a Muslim before he was hired by "The Daily Show" in 2006. But he wasn't that connected to his faith at the time. Something surprising happened, however, while working on the show for eight years. Jon Stewart made Aasif more Muslim-ish. In fact, Stewart did that to both of us.

We don't mean in the religious sense. In fact, we wrote this article in a bar while drinking beer and eating bacon cheeseburger. (Okay, it's an O'Doul's ... and it's turkey bacon, but you get the point.) For millions of Muslims, including both of us, we are connected more culturally than religiously to our faith.

It's not like Jon Stewart intentionally wanted us to become more Muslim. Aasif didn't come to work one day and find Jon sitting in his office holding up the Quran, saying, "Mandvi, its time you start boning up on your Islam."

No, it was much more organic. In Aasif's case, covering Muslim topics for "The Daily Show" was the cause. You can read all about the experiences in hilarious detail in Aasif's new book of personal essays titled, "No Land's Man." (And yes, that was a shameless plug for the book.)

For example, there was the time Aasif was sent to Murfreesboro, Tennessee, to cover a mosque controversy. There he encountered a woman opposed to the mosque who told him that, "one in five Muslims were terrorists." Aasif, who at first tried to counter her argument with facts to no avail, finally responded, "Well, in that case I can't understand what is taking us so long!"
[367 words]

[Time 3]
Another time the show created a parody sitcom of "The Cosby Show" titled, "The Q'usoby Show," about an All-American Muslim family. The reaction from one of the people at the test screening of mostly non-Muslim New Yorkers was that the show didn't seem believable enough. When Aasif asked how it could be more so, one person responded with, "What if they had a terrorist uncle who lived in the basement with a goat?"

These Daily Show experiences "radicalized" Aasif, turning him into, as he calls himself in the book, "the jihadist of irony." The more Aasif experienced hateful or simply ignorant comments about Islam, the more he felt compelled to counter the ignorance and bigotry with missiles of satire on behalf of a group of people who after 9/11 did not have the luxury of being both patriotic and critical of Islam at the same time: American Muslims.

In Dean's case, Stewart agreed to be a part of the documentary he co-directed with Negin Farsad, "The Muslims Are Coming!" This film uses comedy to counter anti-Muslim bigotry.

Stewart being in this film was a big deal. First, the last comedy film Jon had been in was "Death to Smoochy." We are talking years ago. But more importantly, with Jon's participation, the film was able to find the financing it needed. So over the next two years as the film was shot and edited, the sheer immersion in a Muslim-themed project increased Dean's connection to Islam.

Of all the influences Stewart had on our "conversion," the one that truly stands out occurred after death threats had been made against "South Park" creators Trey Parker and Matt Stone for depicting an animated version of the Prophet Mohammed on their show. Stewart called Aasif on the phone -- which was the first time Jon ever had called him -- and asked, "How would you feel about talking about the issue on the show as Muslim? Would you be okay with that?"

Aasif's father's words came immediately rushing back to him. Terrified, he thought for a moment and then asked Jon, "Can I call my mother?"

Later that night, as Aasif was seated across from Stewart at "The Daily Show" desk waiting for the program to begin, Stewart leaned over and said to Aasif, "Thanks for doing this, I know you were hesitant."

Aasif responded, "It's just that I'm not the best Muslim and I can't speak for all of Islam."

As the show's theme music began to play, Jon whispered to Aasif, "I know. But right now you're all we've got."

Sometimes being all "we've got" is all you need. And sometimes being all "we've got" pushes you, even subtly, to be better at it. That is what Stewart did to us. So today we both have Stewart to thank, at least in part, for being able to say that we are now more Muslim-ish than ever!
[484 words]

Source: CNN Opinion
http://edition.cnn.com/2014/11/12/opinion/mandvi-obeidallah-muslim/index.html?hpt=op_bn7

The French government will shun films where the star’s pay exceeds a certain percentage of production costs. Jean Dujardin and Bérénice Bejo in ‘The Artist.’
WEINSTEIN COMPANY/EVERETT COLLECTION
In France, Popular Actors May Pay for Change in Funding for Films
——Move Under Way to Cut Aid to Movies Where Salary of Stars Represents High Percentage of Total Costs
INTI LANDAURO   |   Dec. 12, 2014

[Time 4]
PARIS—Movie star Jean Dujardin may have to accept lower pay to be an artist in France.

The French government adopted measures Friday to cut grants for movies paying fat checks to popular actors in a bid to curb the industry’s costs and bolster the state’s ability to foster movie production in an era of budget constraints.

Effective Jan. 1, the Centre National du Cinéma, the government agency that funds film production, will shun films in which the pay to the star actors exceeds a certain percentage of production costs. The limit varies depending on the budget; it is set at 5% for films costing between €8 million and €10 million.

“Public money isn’t meant to pay salaries exceeding that sort of amount,” CNC spokeswoman Françoise Pamps said.

In recent years, rising pay for top French actors such as Mr. Dujardin, who won an Oscar in 2012 for his performance in “The Artist,” has claimed a bigger portion of movie budgets in France, forcing producers to rein in other spending. The trend has sparked controversy in France, where, excluding state financial support, the industry loses money, according to data from the CNC.

“In the worst cases, this can lead to unacceptable situations where all or part of the shooting of a movie is relocated to get lower labor costs while talent is very generously paid,” the agency said in a report.
[233 words]

[Time 5]
The attempt to cap the pay for the likes of Mr. Dujardin, Gérard Depardieu, and Marion Cotillard points up how the government’s system to protect France’s film industry from world competition is becoming less sustainable as the domestic economy stagnates.

The cherished French model insulates the country’s film producers from market pressure through a complicated cross-subsidy managed by the CNC. The aid is generated by a levy on each movie ticket sold in the country, as well as payments imposed on TV channels and DVD sales.
But while salaries for stars that can attract a broad audience are going up, one of the bigger sources of film subsidies—French TV channels’ advertising revenue—is going down as viewers move online. Money raised by the CNC declined 15% over two years to €688 million in 2013.

In trade negotiations, the film subsidy has been targeted by the U.S. and other countries as an unfair market intervention, but France has stuck to its guns. During recent talks for a free-trade agreement between the U.S. and the European Union, the French government insisted, successfully, on keeping culture off the table.

According to an annual ranking compiled by Le Figaro newspaper, the best-paid French actors—mainly popular local comics little known abroad like Dany Boon —charged in excess of €1.5 million ($1.85 million) per movie in 2013. Mr. Boon’s agent didn’t answer emails seeking comments.
[231 words]

Source: The Wall Street Journal
http://www.wsj.com/articles/in-france-popular-actors-may-pay-for-change-in-funding-for-films-1418416918

Thank you, Sony hackers
Glenn Schwartz   |   December 11, 2014

[Time 6]
(CNN) -- I have been a publicist specializing in comedy for 30 years. Over the years I have transitioned like everyone else to strictly email and texting as my way of communicating with and on behalf of my clients. Whenever I feel nostalgic, I'll call someone and hang up just to relive the bygone days of dialing.

Actually, I do call some people just to talk, but usually feel a sense of remorse and embarrassment as I dial. Sometimes I even apologize to the person on the other end, just for calling. Making a phone call is old school, and in a business where youth is a value, placing a phone call can be just as age revealing as having an AOL email account.

I even email people to ask them to call me rather than just calling; emailing someone to call you seems like less of an affront than picking up the phone.

This week, when Sony was hacked and provocative and embarrassing emails were leaked, it occurred to me that this could be the best thing to happen to our generation of conversation-challenged people. If sending a colorful, conversational or nasty email becomes a danger, then perhaps we will all have to start talking again.

If a Sony executive thought to voice his or her opinions in conversation, the damage would have been zero. After all, hearsay and he-said-she-said is still contained only in the ether after it is said.

What's more, it's impossible to write "tone" in an email and personality is usually conveyed only "in person," even if on the phone. Imagine if from this point forward when you have something nasty, politically incorrect, or -- dare I say -- funny to convey, you will be forced to speak it, so as not to have your impulse, thoughts or ideas digitally documented for all to see for all time.

A crazy idea, I know. And it's going take a while to assemble a generation and get them talking again, but maybe this time we can thank the North Koreans or whomever for doing something good, and not just torturing people.

Oh wait, did I just write that? Call me.
[363 words]

Source: CNN Opinion
http://edition.cnn.com/2014/12/11/opinion/schwartz-sony-hack/index.html?hpt=op_t1

本帖子中包含更多资源

x
 楼主| 发表于 2014-12-14 07:37:24 | 显示全部楼层
Part III: Obstacle

Middle-class families scooped up affordable and speedy Model Ts. As they began to race through the streets, they ran headlong into pedestrians—with lethal results. (illustration by Kyle Bean)

When Pedestrians Ruled the Streets
——The driverless car may take a while to catch on—just as the automobile did a century ago
Clive Thompson   |   December 2014

[Paraphrase 7]
If you visit Mountain View, California, and if you’re lucky, you might see the strangest vehicle in America: a small bubble-shaped car. Peer inside as it rolls by, and you’ll find that the people inside aren’t driving—because they can’t. It’s a car with no steering wheel, no brakes and no gas pedal.

It is one of Google’s new self-driving cars, designed to navigate city streets all by itself. Equipped with an array of sensors that scan nearby traffic and pedestrians with laserlike precision, a GPS-brokered sense of the road, and a slew of algorithms frantically working to avoid collisions, these cars—Google hopes—are the future of driving.

How would a robotic car transform the way we travel? They’d certainly change what you’d do during a ride. Passengers could read, nap, watch movies or peck away on a laptop; new forms of car-sharing might emerge, since a vehicle could drop you off and then zip itself over a few blocks to pick someone else up. Cars could be standalone couriers. Indeed, we might see many cars empty of any humans at all.

It’s a prospect straight out of Ray Bradbury, by turns captivating and goosebump-inducing. And if it comes to pass, it’ll be the apotheosis of how cars have utterly remolded the way cities work. Because when automobiles entered American life a century ago, their first trick was to start a war between humans and machines: They drove people off the streets.

When you visit any city in America today, it’s a sea of cars, with pedestrians dodging between the speeding autos. It’s almost hard to imagine now, but in the late 1890s, the situation was completely reversed. Pedestrians dominated the roads, and cars were the rare, tentative interlopers. Horse-drawn carriages and streetcars existed, but they were comparatively slow.

So pedestrians ruled. “The streets were absolutely black with people,” as one observer described the view in the nation’s capital. People strolled to and fro down the center of the avenue, pausing to buy snacks from vendors. They’d chat with friends or even “manicure your nails,” as one chamber of commerce wryly noted. And when they stepped off a sidewalk, they did it anywhere they pleased.

“They’d stride right into the street, casting little more than a glance around them...anywhere and at any angle,” as Peter D. Norton, a historian and author of Fighting Traffic: The Dawn of the Motor Age in the American City, tells me. “Boys of 10, 12 or 14 would be selling newspapers, delivering telegrams and running errands.” For children, streets were playgrounds.

At the turn of the century, motor vehicles were handmade, expensive toys of the rich, and widely regarded as rare and dangerous. When the first electric car emerged in Britain in the 19th century, the speed limit was set at four miles an hour so a man could run ahead with a flag, warning citizens of the oncoming menace, notes Tom Vanderbilt, author of Traffic: Why We Drive the Way We Do (And What It Says About Us).

Things changed dramatically in 1908 when Henry Ford released the first Model T. Suddenly a car was affordable, and a fast one, too: The Model T could zoom up to 45 miles an hour. Middle-class families scooped them up, mostly in cities, and as they began to race through the streets, they ran headlong into pedestrians—with lethal results. By 1925, auto accidents accounted for two-thirds of the entire death toll in cities with populations over 25,000.

An outcry arose, aimed squarely at drivers. The public regarded them as murderers. Walking in the streets? That was normal. Driving? Now that was aberrant—a crazy new form of selfish behavior.

“Nation Roused Against Motor Killings” read the headline of a typical New York Times story, decrying “the homicidal orgy of the motor car.” The editorial went on to quote a New York City traffic court magistrate, Bruce Cobb, who exhorted, “The slaughter cannot go on. The mangling and crushing cannot continue.” Editorial cartoons routinely showed a car piloted by the grim reaper, mowing down innocents.

When Milwaukee held a “safety week” poster competition, citizens sent in lurid designs of car accident victims. The winner was a drawing of a horrified woman holding the bloody corpse of her child. Children killed while playing in the streets were particularly mourned. They constituted one-third of all traffic deaths in 1925; half of them were killed on their home blocks. During New York’s 1922 “safety week” event, 10,000 children marched in the streets, 1,054 of them in a separate group symbolizing the number killed in accidents the previous year.

Drivers wrote their own letters to newspapers, pleading to be understood. “We are not a bunch of murderers and cutthroats,” one said. Yet they were indeed at the center of a fight that, clearly, could only have one winner. To whom should the streets belong?

By the early 1920s, anti-car sentiment was so high that carmakers and driver associations—who called themselves “motordom”—feared they would permanently lose the public.

You could see the damage in car sales, which slumped by 12 percent between 1923 and 1924, after years of steady increase. Worse, anti-car legislation loomed: Citizens and politicians were agitating for “speed governors” to limit how fast cars could go. “Gear them down to fifteen or twenty miles per hour,” as one letter-writer urged. Charles Hayes, president of the Chicago Motor Club, fretted that cities would impose “unbearable restrictions” on cars.

Hayes and his car-company colleagues decided to fight back. It was time to target not the behavior of cars—but the behavior of pedestrians. Motordom would have to persuade city people that, as Hayes argued, “the streets are made for vehicles to run upon”—and not for people to walk. If you got run over, it was your fault, not that of the motorist. Motordom began to mount a clever and witty public-relations campaign.

Their most brilliant stratagem: To popularize the term “jaywalker.” The term derived from “jay,” a derisive term for a country bumpkin. In the early 1920s, “jaywalker” wasn’t very well known. So pro-car forces actively promoted it, producing cards for Boy Scouts to hand out warning pedestrians to cross only at street corners. At a New York safety event, a man dressed like a hayseed was jokingly rear-ended over and over again by a Model T. In the 1922 Detroit safety week parade, the Packard Motor Car Company produced a huge tombstone float—except, as Norton notes, it now blamed the jaywalker, not the driver: “Erected to the Memory of Mr. J. Walker: He Stepped from the Curb Without Looking.”

The use of “jaywalker” was a brilliant psychological ploy. What’s the best way to convince urbanites not to wander in the streets? Make the behavior seem unsophisticated—something you’d expect from hicks fresh off the turnip truck. Car companies used the self-regarding snobbery of city-dwellers against themselves. And the campaign worked. Only a few years later, in 1924, “jaywalker” was so well-known it appeared in a dictionary: “One who crosses a street without observing the traffic regulations for pedestrians.”

Meanwhile, newspapers were shifting allegiance to the automakers—in part, Norton and Vanderbilt argue, because they were profiting heavily from car ads. So they too began blaming pedestrians for causing accidents.

“It is impossible for all classes of modern traffic to occupy the same right of way at the same time in safety,” as the Providence Sunday Journal noted in a 1921 article called “The Jay Walker Problem,” reprinted from the pro-car Motor magazine.

In retrospect, you could have predicted that pedestrians were doomed. They were politically outmatched. “There was a road lobby of asphalt users, but there was no lobby of pedestrians,” Vanderbilt says. And cars were a genuinely useful technology. As pedestrians, Americans may have feared their dangers—but as drivers, they loved the mobility.

By the early ’30s, the war was over. Ever after, “the street would be monopolized by motor vehicles,” Norton tells me. “Most of the children would be gone; those who were still there would be on the sidewalks.” By the 1960s, cars had become so dominant that when civil engineers made the first computer models to study how traffic flowed, they didn’t even bother to include pedestrians.

The triumph of the automobile changed the shape of America, as environmentalists ruefully point out. Cars allowed the suburbs to explode, and big suburbs allowed for energy-hungry monster homes. Even in midcentury, critics could see this coming too. “When the American people, through their Congress, voted for a twenty-six-billion-dollar highway program, the most charitable thing to assume is that they hadn’t the faintest notion of what they were doing,” Lewis Mumford wrote sadly in 1958.

This is precisely what makes modern critics nervous about self-driving cars. Will they, too, create radically new driving patterns—and dangerous changes to society?

Norton sees two roads forward, one good and one dreadful. If we’re lucky, self-driving cars could reduce overall driving by allowing superefficient ride-sharing. Imagine a system that’s half Zipcar and half taxi service, where you buy access to a private fleet of vehicles that work out sharing on the fly. Stoplights could become obsolete: Some computer models suggest that self-driving cars could navigate intersections simply by weaving around each other, reducing emissions from idling. Maybe we could cross the street wherever we wanted—because the cars would stop and flow around us.

But there’s a dystopian view, too. Self-driving cars, Norton warns, could usher in an explosion of driving and even more far-flung exurbs. If you can now work on your laptop while commuting, why not live even farther away? “That scares me,” he says. “We might pave the whole country that way.” But Vanderbilt isn’t as worried. “The [computer] models I’ve seen suggest we’d drive less,” he says, and he suspects most people have an upper limit on how much time they’re willing to commute, even if they’re not driving. “I don’t envision two-hour commutes.” Auto deaths would likely shrink dramatically; Google’s prototype self-driving cars have been on the road for five years, and, Google says, haven’t had a single accident under computer control.

But when the rare accidents do occur, it’ll create—as with 100 years ago—a big public debate about who’s to blame. The passengers (who weren’t piloting the car)? The carmaker, who wrote the algorithms? A cloudy day that temporarily occluded the car’s GPS?

And carmakers may again need to mount a big public-relations campaign—this time to convince us to trust the cars. Would you put your faith in a self-driving robot to stop in time when your children step into the street against the light? The cars may change, but the détente between them and us may always be uneasy.
[1799 words]

Source: SmithSonian
http://www.smithsonianmag.com/innovation/when-pedestrians-ruled-streets-180953396/?no-ist=&page=2

本帖子中包含更多资源

x
发表于 2014-12-14 09:41:16 | 显示全部楼层
Thanks for sharing! 居然还抢哩个地板~嘻嘻~
[Time 2] 02:27
Case of A: the work related with Muslim made him more cultural attached with the Muslims.
[Time 3] 02:54
[Time 4] 01:15
French gvm put a limit for the actors' revenue.
[Time 5] 02:45
French film industry adopted a subsidy system that is regarded by other countries as a measure to protect the French film.
[Time 6] 02:21
The author didn't like to call pl directly, as it wasn't fashion. Thanks to the fear brought by the hack, pl tend to return to the habit of calling.
[Obstacle]11:40
GL self-driving car appeared in California.
When pedestrians ruled the street, the use of car is condemned for killing the pl;
After a series of debate and jaywalker campaign, car is finally accepted by public.
Taking into consideration of advantages and disadvantages of self-driving car, how much effort will it take for public to accept this type of car?
发表于 2014-12-14 22:19:38 | 显示全部楼层
仍然是不可直视的非商科类文章的速度统计....只要是和商科沾一点点边速度就上来了.....继续加油单词的积累!
Time 2                         00:04:34.17
Time 3                        00:06:35.60
Time 4                         00:02:58.87
Time 5                         00:03:30.91
Time 6                        00:04:43.98
Paraphrase 7                00:25:40.19
发表于 2014-12-14 23:30:25 | 显示全部楼层

掌管 5        00:02:46.06        00:12:23.85
掌管 4        00:01:46.94        00:09:37.79
掌管 3        00:02:00.02        00:07:50.85
掌管 2        00:03:26.14        00:05:50.82
掌管 1        00:02:24.68        00:02:24.68
obstacle 11'11
发表于 2014-12-15 00:14:18 | 显示全部楼层
T2  02:05.5   For millions of Muslims, including both of us, we are connected more culturally than religiously to our faith.
T3  02:41.7  A film about Muslim directed by Stewart was a big deal. At least in part, for being able to say that we are now more Muslim-ish than ever!
T4  01:12.7  Actors in France may accept lower salary due to government regulation to protect film industry.
T5  01:17.1  The film industry is in recession now and France government takes action like a free-trade agreement between the U.S. and the European Union to keep culture off the table.
T6  02:12.1  The author prefers to email someone to call back than call directly. When Sony was hacked, it could be the best thing to happen to their generation of conversation-challenged people.
Obstacle  10:03
发表于 2014-12-15 11:00:10 | 显示全部楼层
Time 2 How Jon Stewart made us more Muslim-ish
With the help of Jon Stewart, Aasif was growing from knowing little of Islam to a Muslim defender when he witnessed the fierce and prejudice from the public, who thought of most Muslims as terrorists during his 6 years working experience in the 'The Daily Show''s Muslim correspondent.
Time 4 In France, Popular Actors May Pay for Change in Funding for Films
In France, because of a downturn in film industry and non-balance in cost and revenue, it is regulated that the budget for the popular actors' pay is lowered to an extent that the policy is regarded unsustainable by those actors.
Time 6 Thank you, Sony hackers
The Sony hackers are hoped to remind the public of the necessity to talk rather than to mail, as talking means more.
Obstacle  When Pedestrians Ruled the Streets
Before XXX Ford Produced the first T-model, the automobile was regarded as the toy for the rich, and the streets were dominated with pedestrians, including a great number of children, who made the streets their playground. When automobiles entered into the common mid-class families, the increasing cars on road resulted in big quantities of trategies, more than one thousand children died in the accidents.
The fear and anger aroused the anti-car sentiment, which resulted in a downfall of the auto business. To fight back, the auto-association launched a campaign with the key word, "Jay-walker", to shift the big concern from the car itself to the behaviors of pedestrians. The success of the Jay-walker campaign rebuild the prosperity of auto business and moreover, standardize the security behaviors of the pedestrians.
The emerging new-generation self-driving cars from Google called back the concerns from the public the same as the booming period of cars. The future of the GPS computerized cars is uncertain. For the good hand, they brought more safety and energy-saving; for the bad hand, they would probably replayed the history with a controversy-whom will be to blamed for if car accident occurs.  

发表于 2014-12-15 17:02:56 | 显示全部楼层
T2: 2'03''
JS convert people to Muslim - not physically. Articles related to M
T3: 2'33''
All we've got is you.
T4: 1'22''
T5: 1'12''
T6: 2'21''
Because of Sony hackers, we all should back to talking instead of emailing.

Obstacle: 10'19''
Car & pedestrians --> develop history
Against cars --> not against cars --> self driving cars
发表于 2014-12-15 18:06:23 | 显示全部楼层
掌管 5        00:01:59.65        00:10:58.93
掌管 4        00:01:19.78        00:08:59.28
掌管 3        00:01:39.90        00:07:39.50
掌管 2        00:03:13.06        00:05:59.59
掌管 1        00:02:46.53        00:02:46.53
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

Mark一下! 看一下! 顶楼主! 感谢分享! 快速回复:

手机版|ChaseDream|GMT+8, 2024-4-18 14:06
京公网安备11010202008513号 京ICP证101109号 京ICP备12012021号

ChaseDream 论坛

© 2003-2023 ChaseDream.com. All Rights Reserved.

返回顶部