内容:neverland1021编辑:Wensd1111

Stay tuned to our latest post! Follow us here --->
http://weibo.com/u/3476904471

本期的主题是企业家,speed有说创业路上的艰辛和收获,工作狂模式的创业家以及是否适合创业的小八卦。Obstacle看看大师如何说企业家精神。
大家enjoy~

Part I: Speaker

In Silicon Valley, Some Entrepreneurs Seek Social Change
Source: NPR
http://www.npr.org/2014/06/14/322008385/in-silicon-valley-some-entrepreneurs-seek-social-change

[Rephrase 1, 3:47]

本帖子中包含更多资源

您需要 登录 才可以下载或查看,没有帐号?立即注册

x
 楼主| 发表于 2014-12-5 23:24:18 | 显示全部楼层
Part II: Speed

Stress, Anxiety, Loneliness: How This Entrepreneur Lost Himself and Bounced Back Stronger
Entrepreneur| November 30, 2014 9:00 AM

[Timer 2]
Brian Bordainick remembers when he snapped.

He was in the process of building what is now a $16 million trendy data-driven dining startup called Dinner Lab. Many would have loved to trade spots with him. Things were happening fast.
But he wasn't able to focus in conversations. He was often overcome with an odd, out-of-reality sensation where he would watch people’s mouths move, but couldn’t concentrate on their words.

Bordainick had fallen into that perfect maelstrom of stress, anxiety and too much to do. He had hit that infamous and clichéd “wall.”

In retrospect, it makes sense: In less than two years, he had gone from running a grassroots startup out of his basement apartment in New Orleans to being the boss of a rapidly growing venture-backed company with national reach. In June, Dinner Lab received a $2.1 million investment from John Elstrott, Chairman of the Board of Whole Foods Market.

As many founders know, when your company grows that fast, your life changes just as quickly. One of the toughest lessons Bordainick learned along the way was how to take care of himself.  
Before he was devoted to building Dinner Lab full time, Bordainick worked at 4.0 Schools, an education technology nonprofit. Juggling the two was grueling. One day last September, he flew to New Orleans for a ground-breaking ceremony tied to his work with 4.0 Schools. That same night, he flew back to New York to celebrate Dinner Lab's launch in the New York City market. It was a momentous day for him, and on both legs of his day, he received tremendous amounts of praise and attention.

He hardly noticed the accomplishments. He was locked in go-mode. “I passed it along like any other day. I was like, ‘Yeah, whatever, guys. Let’s move onto the next market,’” he says.
[296 words]

[Timer 3]
Bordainick launched the first iteration of Dinner Lab in August 2012 from his basement apartment in New Orleans as a late-night dining option for his friends. Most restaurants in the Big Easy close down on the early side. Bordainick envisioned running pop-up dinners at midnight in New Orleans and eventually turning that concept into a brick and mortar restaurant, down the line. The idea was unsustainable. Not only did guests arrive painfully inebriated, but running an operation that serves dinner at midnight proved exhausting.

He pivoted early. His model today involves a rotating cast of up-and-coming chefs serving pop-up meals in underutilized spaces in cities across the country. The dinners – which have been held in venues such as helipads and abandoned churches – are never held in the same place twice. Diners are only alerted to the location the day before the event.

The membership-only experience depends on users giving extensive feedback on each food and wine pairing presented. Members pay anywhere from $100 to $200 per person per year to have access to the events and then from between $50 to $95 per dinner event (including drinks, tax and gratuity), depending on the city. Chefs use the feedback from diners to make decisions about future meals. Dinner Lab is currently auditioning chefs for its first ever brick and mortar restaurant, which is expected to open in the second quarter of next year.

For a period, Bordainick was hiring a new employee every five days to keep up with his company's rapid growth. The company currently has 56 full-time employees and then another 20 part-time servers and bartenders in each of the 19 U.S. cities it operates in. In the busiest cities -- which are New York City, Austin, Nashville and New Orleans -- Dinner Lab hosts as many as 150 dinners a year.

Managing Dinner Lab was a crash course in entrepreneurship for Bordainick, and one of his first observations was that he really didn’t like his peers. Fellow entrepreneurs, he said, often paint a rosy picture that’s both pie in the sky and hard to compete with.

“Everyone was telling me how great it is and how amazing life is and how they are hiring a bunch of people and closing out rounds of funding. And it was like, ok, yeah, I get that, but let’s have a real conversation,” he says. “I found it very difficult to find people in my life who were willing to let their guard down and be honest and real.”
[418 words]

[Timer 4]
Talking to other entrepreneurs when Dinner Lab was in the throes of growing pains was challenging, but then so was talking to even some of his family and friends. Naturally, people were intensely curious about the hot -- and growing hotter -- business he was building. “Everyone wants to talk about things all the time, and you are stressed out. And that is a really hard place to be as an entrepreneur. It’s a really lonely place to be."

One of the most important lessons Bordainick learned was the importance of keeping people in his life who care and love him for who he is outside of his fast-growing, uber-trendy food-tech business. “I still have friends who still don’t really know what I do, and I love those friends,” he said. “Those are the people you need to keep close to you because the people who want to talk about your company and and how great you are, are going to, ultimately, make you go insane.”

Learning how to manage his external relationships was one thing. But the other piece of finding psychological equilibrium was learning how to be in a healthy relationship with himself.

Having always prided himself on being able to "do more than other people could do," Bordainick reached a point where he couldn't keep up. He decided to work with a CEO coach, a move that the three-years-ago version of himself would have mocked. The coach encouraged him to write and reflect on what he had already accomplished -- in addition to where he wanted to go.

The experience gave him new perspective that has stuck with him as he's continued to build his business. “Being an entrepreneur is like climbing a mountain, right. You are always looking up, and when you hit a peak, you want to climb the next one. But every now and then, you have to look back and say, wow, we are really far off the ground. You can’t look back for too long because someone will step on your head and go past you. But that balance of celebrating past successes and setting up systems where you are holding yourself accountable to just be in a moment, be really present,” says Bordainick.
[372 words]

Source : Yahoo
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/stress-anxiety-loneliness-entrepreneur-lost-140000313.html;_ylt=AwrSyCXKEH1UfjwAw5aTmYlQ

Why This Entrepreneur Hates the Holidays
Entrepreneur | November 26, 2014 8:00 AM

[Timer 5]
I have a somewhat unpopular confession to make: I hate the holidays.

From what I can tell, most people look forward to enjoying their time off. They are eager to have a few days to themselves, to set their intentions for the next year, to take their mind off of the projects that are stressing them out at work. These people are sane and reasonable.

I am not one of these people.

Yes, I’ve read the articles about the benefits of striking a balance between work and life too. But as far as I’m concerned, the truth is that you really have to work at having a life if you’re an entrepreneur.

For as long as I can remember, I have been obsessed with my work. When I worked at a startup in Fremont, Calif., in the '80s, I slept in my office to get an early start on the day. I can remember hiding behind a cluster of bushes at Disneyland in order to sneak away from my young children to make a phone call. When we drove around the country when they were in grade school, I can remember holding my cell phone out of the passenger seat window in a desperate attempt to improve my non-existent cell service. For the past few years, I’ve spent a portion of each summer at my best friend’s house in Montana -- to this day, he unplugs the router in my office at 5 p.m.

That’s why the holidays are difficult for me. I feel like they get in the way. I’m so excited about what I’m working on, and all of a sudden, no one is available. It drives me crazy! I try to switch gears, but I end up creeping upstairs to my office at some point anyway. At holiday parties, I want to talk business -- not my business, per se, but about someone else’s, so that I can learn from them.

To put it mildly, my single-minded devotion has caused problems for me. I’m not proud of it. And to be clear -- in no way am I advocating that this kind of behavior is necessary or even OK. Even I know it’s a bit pathetic. My commitment to my vision has led me to be successful, but it has also caused me to miss out on many things.

This year, I’m going to focus on the benefits of working over the holidays, when my phone isn’t ringing off the hook. I’ll clean out my email. I’ll read those business magazines that have been piling up. I will strategize. I will study up on the topics that excite me.

I’m writing this article because I want to call it like I see it. Work-life balance is not for everyone, although maybe it should be. To everyone out there who feels the same way I do, know that you’re not alone. Let us give thanks.

The good news is that the holidays won’t last long.
[497 words]

Source:Yahoo
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/why-entrepreneur-hates-holidays-130000387.html;_ylt=AwrSyCXKEH1UfjwAwpaTmYlQ

5 Signs From Childhood That You Were Destined to Be an Entrepreneur
Entrepreneur | November 18, 2014 8:00 AM

[Timer 6]
Some entrepreneurs are made, while others are born. If you have innate skills driving you down the entrepreneurial path, there were probably signs even when you were a kid. Were you the teacher’s pet who always turned in assignments ahead of time complete with extra credit? Were you always picked first in gym class, or were you the bookish type who was reading at levels beyond your age?

Think back to your early years and you just might spot signs of a great entrepreneur in the making.

1. You excelled at group projects

“Partner up!” was music to your ears and you still enjoy group projects as an adult. As a leader, you could take charge without dominating the group, match up everyone’s skills with tasks at which they excelled and you weren’t satisfied unless your group was the clear winner. Maybe you’ve reined in those micromanaging tendencies since third grade, which has made you the group leader to best all group leaders.
Related: 12 Surprising Signs You Could Be an Entrepreneur

2. Your GPA hovered at 3.5

Getting all A’s isn’t necessarily the sign of a genius or total dedication—it might be a sign that a kid is playing it too safe. However, a high GPA with a little wiggle room for failure bodes well for an entrepreneur. Maybe you gave that advanced math class a shot even if it wasn’t your forte, and it brought down your GPA. You’re not a straight-A student anymore, but you learned more from the tough classes than you ever would taking it easy. That’s the making of a fantastic entrepreneur.

Over the past 6 months I've been hiring for my startup. I have found that the majority of people I hire who are entrepreneurial don't have perfect GPAs. Most have between 3.2 and 3.6 GPAs. I was never a perfect student and always got "good" grades but never perfect. It's shaped a lot of how I am today. I do everything "good." It's not always perfect, but it's consistently good and above average!
[343 words]

3. You dominated at selling cookies

No matter what type of organizations you were involved with, if you had to sell something you were in paradise. Be it cookies, popcorn or collecting the most non-perishable food items, it kicked your young entrepreneurial spirit into overdrive. You may not have realized it at the time, but that was your first entrepreneur success story -- if only selling software or your latest line of luxury soaps as an adult was so easy.

4. You got creative with your allowance

Some kids used their allowance to splurge on chocolate milk every day, but entrepreneurial-minded kids don't go with the obvious investments. Maybe you stuck with the cheapest options day after day, scrimping and saving to buy your first CD player. Maybe you negotiated with your parents for a “raise” based on better grades or more chores. Whatever it was, you knew making money and spending it came with options, and you were committed to finding the path that worked in your favor.

When I was a child I got very creative with the money I earned. I was never personally given an allowance or paid for chores. I had a paper route and worked ever day. I then invested that money into buying candy, to sell to other children for a profit.

5. You saw the cafeteria as the power grid it was

This doesn’t necessarily mean you sat at the cool table. However, you knew the lay of the land and positioned yourself where you could shine. Perhaps it was with the drama geeks, the jocks or the AP crowd. Wherever you sat, you didn’t settle. You probably switched things up regularly to stay relevant in numerous crowds.

When I was younger, I wasn't originally with the cool kids, but I worked my way up. A true entrepreneur can spot success and tends to aligns himself with it. It may not happen right now, but it will eventually.

You’re all grown up now, but maybe you’ve noticed some of these tell-tale signs in your own kids. How can you encourage their entrepreneurial spirit to fly?
[353 words]

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/5-signs-childhood-were-destined-130000290.html;_ylt=AwrSyCXKEH1UfjwAxJaTmYlQ

本帖子中包含更多资源

x
 楼主| 发表于 2014-12-5 23:24:19 | 显示全部楼层
Part III: Obstacle

Teaching Entrepreneurship, the Pirate Code, and MIT’s Bill Aulet
Bruce V. Bigelow 11/24/14

[Paraphrase 7]
If there was a theme to Bill Aulet’s swing through San Diego last week, it was that entrepreneurship is a skill that can be learned.

But that doesn’t necessarily mean that entrepreneurship can be taught. In fact, if there was a subtext to Aulet’s presentation at UC San Diego, it would have to be, “Let’s get the bullshit out of the business of educating entrepreneurs.”

As managing director of the Martin Trust Center for MIT Entrepreneurship (and a senior lecturer at the MIT Sloan School of Management), Aulet contends that the need for entrepreneurship has never been greater. It’s already clear that American workers can no longer expect to spend their entire career with one company, as previous generations did. In our future economy, he says American workers will have to be more entrepreneurial, if not outright entrepreneurs.

The trick, though, is ensuring that what we learn about entrepreneurship is worthwhile.  

Through his work at MIT and as the author of Disciplined Entrepreneurship: 24 Steps to a Successful Startup, Aulet encourages entrepreneurs, startups, large companies, and governments to take a more systematic and disciplined approach to what he calls innovation-driven entrepreneurship. (His talk at UC San Diego was co-hosted by Xconomy and San Diego Tech Founders, with help from UCSD’s Moxie Center for Student Entrepreneurship.)

Innovation-driven entrepreneurship is important, Aulet says, because that is the creative force behind the growth of companies like Apple, Salesforce, and Google. Citing a 2009 study from the Kauffman Foundation, Aulet says innovation-driven companies produced two-thirds of the 40 million new jobs that were added to the American economy between 1980 and 2005.

What that means is that big business is not a net producer of new jobs. Neither is the government, according to Aulet. Even small and medium enterprises (like dry cleaners and neighborhood restaurants) do not as a sector generate substantial numbers of new jobs to the economy.

Aulet says the meteoric success of innovation-driven companies—recent examples include Facebook, Twitter, Air BnB, and Alibaba—has made entrepreneurs and entrepreneurship cool. But as the point man for entrepreneurship at MIT, he also worries that the “faddism” surrounding entrepreneurship—the glamour and myth-making—is generating a lot of misconceptions about entrepreneurship.

There are a lot of entrepreneurship books, conferences, and gurus out there, and many are promoting their own approach to entrepreneurship as the one true path to success.

But when it comes to innovation-driven entrepreneurship, Aulet asks, “How can there be one formula for something that’s never been done before?” He sees a lot of blue-ocean-chasm-crossing-lean-pivoting mumbo jumbo out there, and he argues that much of the advice coming out in various forums comes down to nothing more than just story telling.
Aulet calls this entrepreneurship without data, and where is the discipline in that?

More importantly, he asks, what are entrepreneurs really getting out of today’s surfeit of entrepreneurship mentoring bootcamps, workshops, and incubator programs? Is there any real value there? Or are the purveyors of the proliferating number of startup programs merely exploiting entrepreneurs as the next big business opportunity?

As an educator, Aulet is also wrestling with the challenge of trying to assess what students are learning about entrepreneurship.

Aulet describes himself as “an entrepreneur by design, and an academic by accident.” He left IBM after 11 years to run two MIT spinouts (Cambridge Decision Dynamics and SensAble Technologies) before joining Viisage Technology. The experience was enormously gratifying, but Aulet says it also was enormously hard work. And as a Harvard-trained engineer, he believes entrepreneurship is inherently hard. It requires a disciplined approach.

Aulet’s approach makes use of a methodical, step-by-step progression that uses best practices, collects data, and applies common principles within a framework to reduce risk and enable entrepreneurs to either succeed or fail fast. Aulet lays out this approach in Disciplined Entrepreneurship, saying entrepreneurs should apply his methodology with “the spirit of a pirate and the execution skills of a Navy SEAL.”

Of course, the systematic framework that Aulet lays out might seem a lot like the formulaic solutions that he has criticized when offered by others.

Aulet’s answer is that his 24 steps to a successful startup represent “an open-source amalgamation” of the good things he has pulled together through years of teaching and studying entrepreneurship—and by reaching out to other experts in the field. He views the 24 steps as a basic framework for entrepreneurship, and he hopes new insights and lessons will make it better in the future than it is today. “It’s an effort to build a community,” Aulet says. “What we’re trying to do is create a common language about entrepreneurship.”

Of course, if entrepreneurs truly embrace the pirate spirit, as Aulet suggests, I would add—as they say in Pirates of the Caribbean—“the pirate code is more what you’d call ‘guidelines’ than actual rules.”
[805 words]

Source: Xconomy
http://www.xconomy.com/san-diego/2014/11/24/teaching-entrepreneurship-the-pirate-code-and-mits-bill-aulet/2/

本帖子中包含更多资源

x
发表于 2014-12-5 23:32:40 | 显示全部楼层
占座来啦~不知道什么时候能填的坑。。THX neverland妹子和wensd小哥(?)
----------------
speaker:
large company->social responsibility
golden age

time7:
importance of entrepreneurship
innovation drives
24 steps to gain entrepreneurship  basic
more insights
 楼主| 发表于 2014-12-5 23:40:02 | 显示全部楼层
小蘑菇开始打怪 发表于 2014-12-5 23:32
占座来啦~不知道什么时候能填的坑。。THX neverland妹子和wensd小哥(?)

应该是小哥,wensd,O(∩_∩)O~
发表于 2014-12-6 08:20:06 | 显示全部楼层
Thanks for sharing!
[Time 2] 01:55
Describe an entrepreneur with 2 jobs.
[Time 3] 02:30
The operational mode and the current size of DL;
B found it difficult to deal with pl.
[Time 4] 01:59
The lonely feeling for B;
Advice fr coach: stay present.
[Time 5] 02:45
The writer hates the holiday: All disappear all of a sudden; He is interested in only  the subject about business.
[Time 6] 03:33
5 things that indicate a potential future entrepreneur
[Obstacle] 04:28
Entrepreneur can be learned instead by taught, more pl will need this skill;
Innovative Entrepreneur can't be obtained by book;
Guideline for company start-up.
发表于 2014-12-6 10:11:20 | 显示全部楼层
THANKS neverland & Wensd!

Speaker
Enterpreneurs in Silicon Valley start to do charities. It's a little cynical to think that assigning a profit motives people to be social responsible, because they treat charity as an interest.

Time 2
An enterpreneur feels stress for running frome one market to next market.

Time 3
More details about Dinner Lab.
The enterpreneur find it difficult to communicate with people he hired.

Time 4
The enterpreneur learnt two lesson: how to keep friends he love and know himself clearly.

Time 5
A story about a working lover who hates holidays.

Time 6
5 signs from childhood to see if you are designed to be a enterprenur:
1. GPA aroud 3.5
2. sell cookies
3. good preformance in a group
4. creativity
5. forget...
发表于 2014-12-6 14:17:53 | 显示全部楼层
Speed:
2:00
Wall。
in retrospect,

2:42
not good at 1st,
present model
crash course for B

2:09
relationship with friends as entrepureneur
exp.----new perspective

2:38
hate holiday
Why? and implication?
point: as entrepureneur
possible method to solve it?

2"06
4"44
连着读的

cafeteria,自助餐厅
发表于 2014-12-6 17:21:19 | 显示全部楼层
time2 2'48  the life before he start his business.
time3 3'50 he starts his late night dining prtionactivity .he has his entreprent and kept rapid growth of his business so that he has a lot of employee and he provide the serivice to a large range area.he need to learn how to manage the employees.
time 4 3' he feel high stress and very lonely .he recognize the important people in the life  is the close friend before you have a growing businss .he find to have a good external relationshiip and healthy relationship is necessary
tiem5 4' but he hate the holiday and hard to make the work and life balance
time6 3'40 the sigh of being an entrepreneau
1could match the advantage to do one job
2 not  need to have a high GPA
3 have expericen to sell sth
4 get some creative to make profit by you allowance
obstracle5'40 A's approach to reduce the risk of the business and he find the success of the businss could be step up.He could use the systematic frame work to help the business
surfeit  过量的 innate 天生的 throes 剧痛
发表于 2014-12-6 17:45:32 | 显示全部楼层
掌管 6        00:02:13.93        00:15:23.50
掌管 5        00:02:27.21        00:13:09.56
掌管 4        00:03:05.85        00:10:42.34
掌管 3        00:02:27.18        00:07:36.48
掌管 2        00:02:45.06        00:05:09.29
掌管 1        00:02:24.23        00:02:24.23
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

Mark一下! 看一下! 顶楼主! 感谢分享! 快速回复:

手机版|ChaseDream|GMT+8, 2024-3-28 22:08
京公网安备11010202008513号 京ICP证101109号 京ICP备12012021号

ChaseDream 论坛

© 2003-2023 ChaseDream.com. All Rights Reserved.

返回顶部