查看: 7063|回复: 28
打印 上一主题 下一主题

[阅读小分队] 【Native Speaker每日综合训练—45系列】【45-07】文史哲 Thanksgiving & Black Friday

[精华] [复制链接]
跳转到指定楼层
楼主
发表于 2014-11-29 19:57:50 | 只看该作者 回帖奖励 |倒序浏览 |阅读模式
内容:枣糕兔 编辑:MAGGIEHE1993

Stay tuned for our latest post! Follow us here ---> http://weibo.com/u/3476904471

已经是周六了,但依旧感激大家一直以来的坚持和阅读。
各位感恩节快乐。

Part I: Speaker

Riding Scooters and Motorcycles

Bernadette: When you offered to give me a ride to work, I didn’t know you rode a motorcycle. I’m not sure about this.
Pawel: Come on, put on this helmet and get on. You’ll get to work much faster. We can zip around cars and go between lanes.
Bernadette: That’s what I’m afraid of.
Pawel: I’m an experienced driver. I rode a moped when I was a teenager, had a scooter in college, and got my first bike when I was 22. I ride with my motorcycle club every weekend, so you don’t have to worry about safety.
Bernadette: I’m sure you’re a good driver, but one wrong move and I’m road kill.
Pawel: Get on and I promise to behave. I won’t pop any wheelies, spin out, or do any other tricks.
Bernadette: If that was intended to put my mind at ease, it didn’t work.
Pawel: All right, last call. You want a ride to work or not?
Bernadette: Okay, I’m putting my life in your hands. If I die, it’ll be on your conscience.
Pawel: No worries. If we wipe out, it’ll take us both out, so I won’t be conscious to worry about my conscience. Hold on!

Source: ESLpod
http://www.eslpod.com/website/show_podcast.php?issue_id=15968660

[Rephrase 1, 18’47]

本帖子中包含更多资源

您需要 登录 才可以下载或查看,没有帐号?立即注册

x
收藏收藏 收藏收藏
沙发
 楼主| 发表于 2014-11-29 19:57:51 | 只看该作者
Part II: Speed

Why blacks are urging a Black Friday boycott
Soledad O'Brien and Rose Arce   |   November 28, 2014

[Time 2]
(CNN) -- Once again, the streets are electric with anger after a white police officer evades charges for fatally shooting a black man. Sirens screech and wood batons push back marchers protesting from Missouri to New York to Los Angeles. This time the cadence of "No Justice, No Peace" has been replaced with "Hand's Up. Don't Shoot."

But there was another sign raised above the crowd in a recent protest in New York: "Doing Nothing with Saying Nothing. Changes Nothing." The mathematics of this one are clear. Something's gotta give.

A loose network led by African Americans in the film and arts world has emerged from the fog of tear gas to call for a quiet riot in response: a boycott of Black Friday shopping.

Ryan Coogler, who directed the 2013 film about police brutality called "Fruitvale Station," told us he was confounded by the eruptions of "human rights violations committed by public servants."

"There are three ways you can express yourself," Coogler said. "You can vote. You can protest. You can choose how you spend your money that goes to America's corporations that hold a lot of power."

"We've got to fight the powers that be!" proclaimed Public Enemy's Chuck D in 1989. With the embers of Ferguson still smoldering, it is clear that the struggle continues. But by taking their purchasing power away on retailers' favorite day of the year, the voice of blacks in America, and their allies, may echo more loudly in its absence from shopping malls and big box stores.

Earning less than whites and unemployed at more than double the national average, African Americans still have $1 trillion in buying power, according to Nielsen. They spend more on media, watch more television, shop more frequently off and online and spend more on beauty products than any other ethnic group in the country. That is serious sway.

People who make movies also have sway -- people such as Ava DuVernay, director of the upcoming film "Selma" and actors Michael B. Jordan ("The Wire") and Nate Parker ("The Secret Life of Bees"). #BlackOutBlackFriday has even produced its own minifilms to fuel this modern version of the bus boycotts.

One of them features an interview with the daughter of Eric Garner, who describes losing her father to police violence. Garner was choked to death by police who suspected he might be selling "loosies" or loose cigarettes. In his grand jury testimony, Ferguson Officer Darren Wilson said the man he shot to death, Michael Brown, might have been suspected of stealing "cigarillos" at a convenience store.

Our own contribution to this tragically revived conversation is the Starfish Media Group documentary "Black and Blue". It includes Garner's story and other shocking videos and stories of police brutality.

The #BlackOutBlackFriday videos alone make the case for change.
[467 words]

[Time 3]
"Social media and the technology, with respect to camera phones, empowers every single person who has access to a device," Parker told us. These are the kind of media people could be watching ahead of Black Friday, rather than falling prey to commercial plugs to shop.

The outcry over police brutality can't end with the Thanksgiving news cycle. President Barack Obama can't just promise to take a look -- yet another look -- at how the police interact with the public. Public frustration over policing didn't boil over only because of Michael Brown's death. It did because of the daily indignities that have become common for black people. These boycott organizers feel that helplessness as they watch the police violence spinning out of control and don't know how to stop it. It's not like you can dial 911.

To Darren Wilson, who shot Michael Brown "the whole thing started over 'will you just walk on the sidewalk.' " Then suddenly the man he called a "demon" was dead, he washed his hands of blood and stowed his gun. He faced no judicial accountability after 25 days of grand jury investigation.

A 2013 Pew Research Center survey showed that 7 of 10 blacks felt they were being treated less fairly than whites by police. A Gallup poll that same year found that nearly 25% of all black males from ages 18 to 34 reported being treated unfairly by police in the past 30 days.

"This is not a one-day thing," DuVernay told us. "What #blackoutblackfriday is trying to do is to create ongoing pressure to change the conversation among conscious people of all colors."

They might achieve more by opting out of the system than by opposing it. Your presence is sometimes felt by your absence.
[295 words]

Source: CNN Opinion
http://edition.cnn.com/2014/11/26/opinion/obrien-arce-blackoutblackfriday/index.html?hpt=op_t1

The Unbearable Whiteness of White Meat
——Dark meat is better. Why don't we love it more?
Ron Rosenbaum

[Time 4]
On Thanksgiving, a family member will carve up the turkey and ask us all, "White meat or dark?"  Ron Rosenbaum scoffs at the preference for white meat over dark and discusses several possible reasons for the bias. Does the darker tone recall the soil we tread? Or are we betraying a more insidious prejudice? His original piece from 2010 is reprinted below.   

Let me say at the outset, I don't mean to be a buzz-kill. I'm happy for you if you like white-meat turkey. I don't think less of you. In fact I think rather more of you for being able to be satisfied with so little in the way of flavor. Perhaps in a past life you were a self-flagellating friar. (I'm reading Wolf Hall and can't help the allusion. Best novel I've read in years, by the way.)

But, seriously, I mean no disrespect, especially in this holiday celebration of fellowship and thanksgiving. And, yes, I'm familiar with the phrase "de gustibus non est disputandum"—there's no arguing about taste. But in the case of white meat from a Thanksgiving turkey, well, I'd argue about that.

White meat turkey has no taste. Its slabs of dry, fibrous material are more like cardboard conveyances, useful only for transporting flavorsome food like stuffing and gravy from plate to mouth. It's less a foodstuff than a turkey app, simulated meat, a hyperlink to real food.

But I am fascinated by how tastes get made and unmade, the intersection of culture, class and sensory responses. Not being a postmodernist I wouldn't call the overwhelming American preference for white-meat turkey a form of cultural hegemony. More like a mass hallucination. Why, for instance, hasn't white meat shared the same fate, the same cultural disenfranchisement, as packaged white bread?

Some of you may remember white bread. Not the white bread of crusty baguettes and the like, but the white bread of sliced, standardized loaves of cotton wool, the stuff people ate before everyone switched to baguettes and focaccia and brioche, which are, yes, often "white" but not "white bread" in the old-fashioned, mass-produced sense. I'm talking about Wonder Bread bread.

White bread of this sort is still around, can still be found, but no longer enjoys any elite status. Refined white-flour bread once was regarded as the peak of social refinement by the new middle class, perhaps because it left behind the time-consuming home-baked whole-grain variety. No gritty grains, no uncracked wheat, just highly processed, snow-white identical slices. It was aspirationally upper-crusty even at tea time when the crusts were cut off.
[428 words]

[Time 5]
Then "refined" became a dirty word, nutritionally at least. White bread suffered two successive falls from grace. First from upper-middle class households, in the years when "middle class" became not an achievement to be proud of but a signifier of negative attributes: White bread came to be associated with boring blandness, suburban sanitized white-picket-fence-ified phony gentility. A veritable curse upon a person or a work of art: "That's so white-bread."

And then the final fall, evident in the successive waves of ever-more-prevalent stone-ground, hippie, New Age, whole-grain, zucchini-infused, heavily seeded, soy-enhanced brown bread. Its cause was aided by the nutritionists who scolded that eating white bread was a virtual death sentence since processing removed all nutritional value, which caused manufacturers to pump artificial vitamins into the white paste they turned out. White bread, we were instructed, was almost as toxic as the dread poison white sugar.

Even mass marketers shunned it in favor of (often artificially flavored and colored) brown bread, which came in whole-grain and "cracked-wheat" and fake bakery configurations. By this time, eating white bread, buying white bread became worse than being white-bread. It became redneck. It became a signifier of trailer-park, gas-station-convenience-store culture. Imagine a New York hostess—a hostess anywhere!—serving some of those pale squares of paper pulp at a dinner party. Might as well serve TV dinners for the main course, or a Dorito burrito bag.

I digress on the fate of white bread because what's mystifying to me is the profound enigma: Why hasn't this same dynamic affected white-meat turkey? Yes, there are the foodies who claim their "heritage" turkeys offer white meat that tastes much better than what you find on those obscenely bloated Butterballs. But at $14 a pound, a single heritage turkey can free-range up to $200 for a single family-size bird.

And then when you present your heritage bird, according to some comments I've read on foodie chat-room boards, you're liable to get comments like, "How come the white meat isn't more white?"

This is what I can't understand: Why does most of America want its turkey meat white? Why do people flock to the obscenely named Butterballs, which boast of overinflated breasts as unnatural as the silicone boobs of truck-stop strip joints or of the Kardashian sisters?

Why have we broken the chains of the whiteness that bound us to fatally tasteless white bread while still remaining imprisoned in the white-meat turkey ghetto?
[405 words]

[Time 6]
A friend was trying to convince me that in fact America has lost its taste for this tasteless meat, but the Sunday before Thanksgiving I was listening to the CBS all-news radio station in New York City, and they were doing a fluff piece on the turkey buying that was peaking that weekend. And the reporter was interviewing some guy from Stew Leonard's, a food mega-store that serves New York City's sophisticated suburbs and exurbs in Westchester County and Fairfield County, Conn.

And the guy was boasting that his turkeys were "bred to have 18 to 22 percent more white meat." After which the CBS announcer made a stupid wisecrack about breasts that alone would make you want to forgo the silicone-textured mega-butterballs.

And these are ciabatta-bread people, not Wonder Bread people! Do they still associate white meat with refinement? It was enough to make me wonder whether there could be a racial, if not racist, subtext here. Perhaps there is a clue in the shifting fate of the "other white meat"—pork. I'll never forget the moment when I learned the antebellum racial origin of the phrase "living high on the hog." I had driven down the I-5 "grapevine," that fog-shrouded mountainous interior route from San Francisco to L.A. with a couple of Communist Party women who were mothers of death row prisoners (long story). When dawn broke and we arrived in Watts, they guided me to a place called Ray's Redwood City, an all-night, almost all-black joint where the ladies of Saturday night dined with the ministers of Sunday morning (not at the same tables), and my fellow travelers ordered me a dish called "high on the hog," a mountain of scrambled eggs topped by a fried pork chop.

It was then I learned the etymology of the phrase in America. It hails from the plantation days, when the white slave owners dined on choice pork chops cut from "high on the hog" while the slaves made do with the lower parts of the pig—the ham hocks, the pigs feet, the pork bellies, and the innards. White meat was high on the hog, but not higher on flavor than other (often darker) cuts. Indeed the "other white meat" now available most frequently in lean and tasteless pork chops and cutlets has little more taste than white meat turkey.

Despite its superior taste, dark meat has dark undertones for some. Dark meat evokes the color of earth, soil. Dark meat seems to summon up ancient fears of contamination and miscegenation as opposed to the supposed superior purity of white meat. I guess it shouldn't be a surprise that white meat remains the choice of a holiday that celebrates Puritans.

Indeed, the connotations of the pale and darker parts of the turkey constitute a meaty metaphor for the Thanksgiving feast itself. The allegedly more refined and daintier white parts, the wings and breast, have never touched the ground the way the earthier darker legs have done. And you know how dirty dirt is.
[504 words]

[The Rest]
By the way, if you want to read a brilliant poetic embodiment of the real story of our "Pilgrim fathers," a chilling antidote to white bread, white meat, and Thanksgiving treacle, I recommend you take a look at Robert Lowell's amazing, chilling poem "Children of Light" (which could have been called ("Children of White").

Its opening lines represent the best unsentimental epitaph for the myth of Thanksgiving:

Our fathers wrung their bread from stocks and stones and fenced their gardens with the Redmen's bones.

Maybe that's why I have a prejudice against the white-meat sacrament of the holiday that covers up the white man's crimes.

It's Lowell writing about his pilgrim ancestors who began the rolling genocidal slaughter of those nice Native Americans who made the first Thanksgiving possible.

The real Thanksgiving story is extremely dark, far darker than any leg and thigh meat.

Could fear of facing our dark history be behind the prejudice against dark meat? Or is there more to the darkness of dark meat that feeds that fear?

This is what occurred to me when I put the question to my cohort of Facebook "friends" the Monday before Thanksgiving. There was one comment in particular that made me wonder whether something deeper wasn't going on: "I hate dark meat it's slimy and viscous."

I had always thought it was a matter of the tastelessness of white meat, but here was an instance of some profound and fundamental revulsion against the threatening sensuality of dark meat. (Which others might call juiciness—what must he think of gravy?)

The language in which it was expressed reminded me of something I had not paid attention to since my undergraduate days: Jean Paul Sartre's mad rants against "ooze" and "viscosity" in Being and Nothingness.

I Googled around and found a commentary on one key passage in Sartre's meditation on "le visqueux"—both slime and the slimy:

For Sartre, the slimy resists the standard categorizations of solidity and liquidity, maintaining itself in a disgusting physical condition somewhere between the two: "Slime is the agony of water. It presents itself as a phenomenon in the process of becoming; it does not have the permanence within change that water has but on the contrary represents an accomplished break in a change of state. This fixed instability in the slimy discourages possession."

However nonsensical most of Sartre is, that's a great line isn't it? "Slime is the agony of water."

Maybe that's it: Dark meat represents slime and viscosity. Dark meat embodies all the menace of dissolution into the nothingness that is the slimy ground of being itself!

Come to think of it, maybe I'll try the white meat this time.
[447 words]

Source: Slate
http://www.slate.com/articles/life/the_spectator/2010/11/the_unbearable_whiteness_of_white_meat.html

本帖子中包含更多资源

x
板凳
 楼主| 发表于 2014-11-29 19:57:52 | 只看该作者
Part III: Obstacle

Why We’re All So Impatient for Black Friday
Adam Alter   |   November 26, 2013

[Paraphrase 7]
Until recently, Thanksgiving Day was sacred. Retailers kept their doors closed until midnight, so the boundary between dignified family dinners and frenzied bargain hunting remained inviolate. Walmart breached this rule in 2011, announcing that its holiday sales would begin at 10 P.M. on Thanksgiving Day. Sears and Kmart followed suit. The following year, Walmart began its sales at 8 P.M. on Thanksgiving Day. And now Walmart has announced that its sales this year will begin at 6 P.M. on Thanksgiving—with many of its online sales having already started almost a week earlier, on the Friday before Thanksgiving. This trend is known as “Black Friday creep,” and it continues because large retailers recognize that many of their consumers are impatient to begin shopping.

Scientists have wondered for some time what makes certain people—and certain species—more patient than others. Eleven monkeys delivered part of that answer in an experiment in 2005. Some of the monkeys were common marmosets, and the others were cotton-top tamarins. The two species share many similarities. They’re both very small, weighing about as much as a tub of margarine. Their brains are small, too, accounting for about two and a half per cent of their body mass. They live in the lower and middle canopies of large trees in South American rain forests, where they’re raised by both of their parents. But tamarins are impetuous while marmosets show restraint. During a series of trials, the monkeys had a choice: they could pull a lever that immediately released two pellets of food, or they could pull a second lever, which would reveal a richer reward of six pellets, but only after a delay. The delay varied across the trials, which allowed the researchers to calculate how long the monkeys were willing to wait, on average, for the bonus pellets. The tamarins were willing to wait an average of just eight seconds for the bonus pellets—any longer, and they pulled the lever that revealed the meagre, two-pellet prize. In contrast, the marmosets were willing to wait an average of fourteen seconds for the bonus pellets, almost twice as long as the tamarins were willing to wait. When the tamarin has long since given up on the bonus pellets, the marmoset waits patiently and comes away three hundred per cent richer.

What is it about marmosets that endows them with twice the patience of tamarins? For all their similarities, the two species have a very different relationship with food. Most of the time, tamarins eat insects. Insects move quickly and spend no more than a few seconds at a time exposed to the gaze of hungry predators. Patience just isn’t a virtue in the world of an insectivore, where waiting means skipping dinner. Marmosets, on the other hand, eat very few insects, preferring instead the gummy sap that flows from tree bark. After scratching at a tree for several minutes, they’re rewarded with a few precious drops of sap. Researchers have argued that these vastly different foraging experiences explain why the monkeys show different degrees of restraint in the lab. The implication here is that patience is learned rather than endowed; a monkey gets better at waiting when he waits more often, just as a weightlifter becomes stronger the more he lifts weights.

Humans who are chronically forced to wait acquire a different skill: they learn to seize fleeting opportunities. In a paper published in 2011 by the Journal of Consumer Research, Kurt Carlson, of Georgetown University, and Jacqueline Conard, of Belmont University, described the political aspirations of Thomas Zych, a write-in candidate during the 2004 U.S. Presidential elections. Zych’s surname had placed him at the end of alphabetical lists beginning in preschool, and continuing through high school and college. He was forced to sit in the back row, for instance, and he sometimes missed out on the privileges that were offered first to the Abels and Andersons but never quite reached the Zuckermans and Zolas. Zych’s Presidential platform was simple: to abolish alphabetical lists from every sphere of life.

Those years of waiting made Zych hungry enough to stage an anti-alphabetism campaign that could never succeed. In fact, there’s evidence that hunger isn’t unusual among people with late-in-the-alphabet names. When Carlson and Conard offered a limited supply of free basketball tickets to a pool of M.B.A. students, those with surnames at the beginning of the alphabet (from A to I) took, on average, longer than twenty-five minutes to respond; those with surnames at the end of the alphabet (from Q to Z) waited an average of only nineteen minutes. Later, the researchers offered a second pool of students the chance to participate in a study in exchange for cash and a bottle of wine. The A-to-I students waited an average of six and a half hours to respond, whereas the Q-to-Z students waited an average of five and a half hours. Years of privilege seemed to have made the A-to-Is complacent, while years of waiting had made the Q-to-Zs hungry.

Several years ago, my colleague Eesha Sharma and I wondered whether financial hardship might change how people respond to attractive products with limited availability. In one of our experiments, students at New York University’s Stern School of Business told us how they felt about their own financial positions relative to their peers’. While the students completed the experiment, we placed a small bowl of M&M’s nearby. We made sure that the bowl was filled mostly with one color of M&M’s, with only a small number of pieces of a second color. While the students who described themselves as privileged ate the M&M’s indiscriminately, choosing an equal proportion of each color, the self-described deprived students rushed to eat the scarce M&M’s. When you remind people that they’re deprived, they become drawn to whatever happens to be scarce nearby, as though possessing a scarce object corrects the imbalance.

Of course, nature also plays a role in determining how people respond to scarcity, as do a number of other factors. Yet a lifetime of waiting also appears to teach you to snatch fleeting opportunities that other people might ignore. Walmart, Sears, and Kmart know that many of their consumers share the hunger of Presidential candidate Thomas Zych and the N.Y.U. students in our study who felt financially deprived—and so Black Friday creep continues.
[1055 words]

Source: The New Yorker
http://www.newyorker.com/business/currency/why-were-all-so-impatient-for-black-friday

本帖子中包含更多资源

x
地板
发表于 2014-11-29 23:33:54 | 只看该作者
掌管 7        00:08:50.70        00:25:26.07
掌管 6        00:03:15.77        00:16:35.37
掌管 5        00:02:25.78        00:13:19.59
掌管 4        00:03:06.42        00:10:53.80
掌管 3        00:03:08.46        00:07:47.37
掌管 2        00:01:45.06        00:04:38.91
掌管 1        00:02:53.84        00:02:53.84

今天的speed感觉和原来看过的文章都好不一样。。。有点意识流的赶脚哈哈哈 反正就是晕晕的
从white bread讲到white meat turkey还扯到些我没太看懂的地方> <
倒是今天的obstacle感觉很好懂,尝试了做笔记的方法果然文章一下就梳理清楚啦!

-many retailers began their sales earlier than previous because consumers are impatient to begin shopping.
-an experiment of two different kind of monkeys to find out what makes people or species more patient.
-the reason why one kind of monkey more patient than another is that they eat different kinds of food. so patient is learned rather than endowed.
-people learn to seize fleeting opportunities. and two specific examples to show that point.
-conclusion: black Friday creep continues.
5#
发表于 2014-11-30 02:24:45 | 只看该作者
TIME2 4’04’’
A white police shot a black man and evaded a charge made the street in to anger. The black boycott of black Friday shopping. The black absence from the shopping is powerful. People who product film also consider this problem. The police gave a reason to shot the man.

TIME3 3’02’’
The MB’s death is not only the reason let public frustrated. The real reason is the common indignities of the black.

TIME4 4’04’’
Why in TG day we choose while meal? The while meal taste is not good.
It is not the culture hegemony. Reason: the white bread has not the same fate with the white turkey meal.

TIME5 4’22’’2
Two reasons not eating the white bread:1. Middle class become not achievement.   2. White bread was a virtual death sentence.
But why these points does not effect the white turkey? And why American want the turkey meal more white?
Finally, the author suggest us  should break the rule.

TIME6 4’04’’
There is a clue in the shifting fate of the other white meat. But in fact, other white meat not be more tasty than turkey.
Dark meat has its own advantage. The white and dark meat metaphor the TG day.

Obstacle
P1: A phenomenon: Walmart open in the TG day from 10 pm to 6 pm
   Reason: many of their customers are impatient to shopping.
P2: Experiment1: test patience. The reasons for different types of monkeys’ performance: different relationship of food.
P3: Human are different: size fleeting opportunities.
EG: Zych force to be the last one to deliver speech because of the name, and miss the privilege.

P4:(对P3的承接)Evidence about the hunger usual exist among people last in the alphabet names.
EG:MBA students.

P5&P6(对P3承接):: financial hardship might change now people respond to attractive products. (privilege)
In sum: human pay attention to the privilege.

6#
发表于 2014-11-30 08:53:37 | 只看该作者
Thanks for sharing!
[Time 2] 03:07
The black decide to black out the Black Friday, a way to express themselves against public servant violation. The black is great part of American retail economic.
[Time 3] 01:40
The case of MB and the survey: the black feel injustice; BOBF, they try to achieve the goal by opting out of the system instead of opposing it.
[Time 4] 02:51
White meat recalls white bread.
[Time 5] 02:50
Later white bread became less popular, because it's regarded as refined and low nutrition. This doesn't happen to the white meat.
[Time 6] 03:07
People still preferred white meat, and thought dark meat isn't pure. That's why white meat is more suitable for Thanksgiving.
[Obstacle]
Experiment with monkeys: Patience is a skill to learn rather than endow;
The case of president Z: Years of longer waiting make people hungry.
The case of University: People who feel deprived are more drawn to scarcity.
Walmart and other stores knows how people respond to scarcity.
7#
发表于 2014-11-30 10:21:04 | 只看该作者
Time2: 3'35'' (130wpm)
Many African Americans were shocked by the shoot accident happened recently, and they decided to stop buying anything in "black Friday", which is a retailers' faviorite day.  People who make movies also have sway.

Time3: 2'00'' (147wpm)
Black people felt being unfairly treated by police, and they cannot stand anymore.

Time4: 3'03'' (140wpm)
The author thinks white meat turky is unbearable, and he says it should end up with the same fate just as white bread, which is no more popular in US.

Time5: 3'23'' (120wpm)
White bread was out off dinner table because it was connected to the middle-class household, and it was replaced by brown bread, which was more nutrient. The author cannot understand why people are so into white meat turky.

Time6: 3'41'' (137wpm)
The author thinks dark meat is more tasty, and its color symbolizes the colr of earth soil.

Obstacle: 7'57'' (132wpm)
The article tells some experients to demostrate why people are so eager to shop in Black Friday.
1.M Monkys are more patient than T monkys because of daily eating habits, implicating that patience is learned rather than endowed.
2.Zych and other people whose surname beginned with Q-Z are less patient than people whose surname beginned with A-I.
Experients: M&M candies. Free basketball tickets.
8#
发表于 2014-11-30 10:38:22 | 只看该作者
谢谢maggie 和兔子~
越障蛮有意思的~
[467 words]
The public servant(police) brutality which violates the basic civil rights evokes a nationally public boycott on Black Friday
the slogan: hands up, no shoot

1'28[295 words]
the white policeman killed a black teenager
the anger is not something that you could dial 911 to solve it
it is not a single case, it is reported that 7 out of 10 Black American have been treated unfairly
the boycott attempts to change the conversation among conscious people of all colors

2'54[428 words]
question: which part should we choose when we eat turkey? the white slice or the dark one?
the author believes that there is no point to discuss which taste should we prefer, but he definitely is convinced that the white meat should be discussed
the author gives his reasons:
the white meat part is like a hyperlink to a real food
why the white meat does not achieve the same position as the white bread?

2'48[405 words]
white bread become a negative word
why does the white meat receives the same treatment

2'49
white meat: the refined part, racist,
dark meat: soil

6'45[1055 words]
explain why Black Friday period continued to creep
1)the experiment on two similar kinds of monkeys(weight, the ratio(brain weight to the body weight))
the former monkey shows less patience than the latter one(the average waiting time for food)
reason: food kind: the former prefers the insects, time means opportunity; the latter prefers the bark sap and consume less insects
2)按字母顺序来做得一个实验,一个人的姓氏中带有Z,然后这个人在学校中只要是按字母顺序来排列,这个人都是排到最后,他得到更少的资源,然后这个人在总统选举中就提议要废除按字母顺序来排序
哪些姓氏从A-I的人(more complement)相比较Q-Z的人(more hungry)可以等待的时间越长
3)observe whether the financial condition can affect the student behavior:
a bottle full of almost the same M&M chocolates with scarce different M&M ones
students who feel financial deprived rushed to choose the scare ones
9#
发表于 2014-11-30 10:44:41 | 只看该作者
speed
3'27
2'15
3'42
3'00
3'26
obstacle 忘了计时间了
    这次的obstacle 感觉比speed还要简单,是我读的最舒服的一次了。中间虽也有不认识的单词但是脉络清楚,每段的大意都能读懂。总的来说这篇文章无压力(好开心)
    这次没有一边读一边记笔记,读完之后回忆都没问题!看来还是读懂是关键啊~

但是speed中确实那篇white bread的文章读的云里雾里的。好像明白了 又好像没全明白~~~
10#
发表于 2014-11-30 11:10:29 | 只看该作者
有没有人彻底读懂了white meat那篇?帮忙解释一下white meat,dark meat,brown meat,white bread之类的,有什么含义吗?为什么refined是dirty word?谢谢。
大量的俚语和当地文化,抓瞎了。。。

Obstacle
why lose patient when shopping?
experience: monkey+explain
human: seize fleeting opportunities
survey: how financial hardship change people's respond to products.
nature is another factor.
Black Friday creep continues.
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

Mark一下! 看一下! 顶楼主! 感谢分享! 快速回复:

手机版|ChaseDream|GMT+8, 2024-4-20 02:08
京公网安备11010202008513号 京ICP证101109号 京ICP备12012021号

ChaseDream 论坛

© 2003-2023 ChaseDream.com. All Rights Reserved.

返回顶部