查看: 7167|回复: 47
打印 上一主题 下一主题

[阅读小分队] 【Native Speaker每日综合训练—43系列】【43-14】文史哲 The World & China

[精华] [复制链接]
跳转到指定楼层
楼主
发表于 2014-10-25 15:14:52 | 只看该作者 回帖奖励 |倒序浏览 |阅读模式
内容:枣糕兔 编辑:枣糕兔

Stay tuned for our latest post! Follow us here ---> http://weibo.com/u/3476904471

Today’s topic is inspired by the article in Speed section of how Mark Zuckerberg stunned the crowed with his language surprise. And I thought, why not find other pieces like this? So hopefully, you’ll enjoy this Sunday read.

Part I: Speaker

Being Infatuated With Someone

Marcel: What is this on your wall?
Fiona: It’s my tribute to Del Gordon, my favorite player.
Marcel: This isn’t a tribute. It’s a shrine!
Fiona: It’s not a shrine. I just have a few pictures of him taped on my wall.
Marcel: You have poster- size pictures of him covering three walls of your room. This goes beyond being a fan. You’re obsessed with him.
Fiona: No, I’m not obsessed. I admit that I’m a little infatuated with him, but it’s a healthy kind of adulation.
Marcel: You’ve definitely gotten carried away.
Fiona: Just a little. I’m devoted to watching him play in every game and I try to find out as much as I can about him, but it’s because I admire him. It’s not like I’m stalking him or something.
Marcel: Then why do you have all of this equipment?
Fiona: That’s in case there’s a sighting of him in this city.
Marcel: A sighting?
Fiona: Yes, there’s a network of fans that keeps tabs on him and if I learn that he’s in town, I can try to get a photo with him.
Marcel: And what are those handcuffs for?
Fiona: I only have those in case he doesn’t cooperate.
Marcel: You’re right. Your infatuation is completely healthy!

Source: ESLpod
http://www.eslpod.com/website/show_podcast.php?issue_id=15819515#

本帖子中包含更多资源

您需要 登录 才可以下载或查看,没有帐号?立即注册

x
收藏收藏 收藏收藏
沙发
 楼主| 发表于 2014-10-25 15:14:53 | 只看该作者
Part II: Speed

Like, OMG!! Zuck speaks Mandarin?!!
John D. Sutter, CNN   |   October 23, 2014

[Time 2]
(CNN) -- So, Mark Zuckerberg apparently speaks Mandarin.

The Facebook founder posted a video this week of himself participating in a 30-minute question-and-answer session, mostly in Chinese, at Beijing's Tsinghua University. And online writers -- especially the tech bloggers -- just freaking love this story.

General reaction: Like OMG! Zuck speaks another language?!

"The crowd gasped and applauded as soon as he started speaking, and the good vibes appeared to last throughout the chat," wrote Marcus Wohlsen at Wired.

"Out of nowhere, Mark Zuckerberg now speaks Mandarin," declared BuzzFeed.

"Mark Zuckerberg just did a Q&A. In Chinese. In China. And slayed the crowd," wrote Greg Baumann, editor in chief of the Silicon Valley Business Journal.

The underlying assumption in all of this coverage is that it is insanely surprising that the kid genius CEO of a $204 billion company can maneuver in a non-English language. Particularly a difficult one like Mandarin, which he speaks, according to Foreign Policy's Isaac Stone Fish, "like an articulate 7-year-old with a mouth full of marbles."

This shouldn't be surprising. Zuckerberg is a smart guy. He's known to take on yearly self-improvement challenges (2010, Mandarin; 2011, eat only animals he personally killed; 2013, meet someone new each day, according to Bloomberg Businessweek). His wife, Priscilla Chan, is Chinese-American, and he said he's been learning Mandarin partly to be able to better communicate with some of his in-laws.

Plus, China. It's home to the world's largest population of Internet users (632 million). And it blocks Facebook.

A little "charm offensive" couldn't hurt.

Then just think about the situation in reverse: Would anyone be shocked if the head of a foreign tech company -- try LG, Samsung, Sony or, in China, Lenovo -- showed up for a public speaking engagement in America and (gasp!!) spoke English? Of course not. We'd eye-roll if they didn't.

That's because we Americans expect everyone to speak our language -- and rarely make the attempt to communicate in foreign tongues. Only a quarter of Americans can hold a conversation in a second language, according to a 2001 Gallup poll. Compare that with about half of Europeans. And in Africa, while it's tough to find comparative figures, it's common to meet people who speak, two or three or five languages, since there are as many as 2,000 languages spoken on the continent.
[389 words]

[Time 3]
So perhaps Zuck's somewhat passable second-language skills shouldn't be surprising, but they are. And I think a closer examination of why that's the case reveals quite a bit about language and how it plays a role (and doesn't) in modern America.

There are easy explanations for America's relative monolingualism. Unlike Europe, where a long road trip can land you in another country with another official language, the United States has historically been relatively isolated from other tongues. When immigrants bring foreign languages to our towns and cities, we generally haven't met them in the middle. We've demanded they learn English. And pronto.

Plus, when English speakers travel abroad, we tend to expect the world to cater to us. A couple years ago, I stayed at a Western chain hotel in Seoul, South Korea. The concierge gave me a business card that said something like, "I'm lost, take me back to the hotel at this address" on it in Korean. The idea was that I'd hand the card to a taxi driver and he or she would zip me back to the safety of a hotel with English-speaking staff. Like I was a lost puppy with a business-card collar. No need to learn a thing.

These expectations help explain why Zuckerberg's Chinese is both so surprising and so easy to poke fun at. His Mandarin presentation plays both into and against the stereotypes of the Idiot American Abroad. We don't expect anyone who grew up in the United States -- especially those whose parents grew up in America, too -- to be able to speak a foreign language, or we don't expect them to do it well.

That makes it fun for writers such as Gwynn Guilford and Nikhil Sonnad, at Quartz, to say that the Facebook CEO "showed a plucky disregard for the tones that Mandarin has -- one tonal slip-up had him saying that Facebook boasts eleven mobile users instead of 1 billion -- and his enunciation was roughly on par with the clarity possible when someone's stepping on your face."

But it also makes it easy to be impressed by Zuck.
[353 words]

[Time 4]
Put me in the latter camp. Zuckerberg, who comes across, at times, in his verbal English communications as a semi-sophisticated robot, at best, is doing something language coaches will tell you is a must: He's trying. He put himself out there in a big way -- he took a risk -- and that's the only way he'll be able to improve. I applaud that effort.

And I think it's representative of where we as Americans, in general, stand as language learners. We're kinda awkward. But we should keep at it.

We'll have to in order to stay relevant -- both in global business and at home. There were 37 million Spanish speakers in the United States in 2013 -- up from only 10 million in 1980, according to Pew. Some are bilingual, but some likely speak comfortably only in Spanish.

I think there's a fear in English-only America that everyone will have to learn Spanish to function in certain parts of the country. We should expect that English will continue to be the linguistic glue of America -- that it will bind us together. But needing to learn Spanish, and other languages, to better and more fully explore the country and globe should seem exciting, not threatening.

Learning a second language opens up new worlds, new neural pathways -- even new personalities. It's something we all should embrace, a la Zuckerberg.

We may sound goofy. But it's far better than giving up.
[242 words]

Source: CNN Opinion
http://edition.cnn.com/2014/10/23/opinion/sutter-zuckerberg-chinese/index.html?hpt=op_t1

A Gucci store in Hong Kong. BLOOMBERG NEWS
Gucci Names Merinda Yeung as New China Chief
——New Gucci China Chief Tasked With Turning Around Greater China Operations
LAURIE BURKITT in Beijing & MANUELA MESCO in Milan  |  Oct. 23, 2014

[Time 5]
Gucci’s new China chief has a tough task: Make the Italian brand’s name shine in a market where luxury is increasingly common.

The luxury brand on Thursday named Merinda Yeung, its Taiwan division chief, to run its China operations. Ms. Yeung will take charge after a monthslong search to replace a predecessor who resigned after just 18 months on the job.

Ms. Yeung will oversee operations in a once-hot luxury market that recently has gone cold. Luxury brands in China have been hit by a rapid build-out by Gucci and others that flooded the market with high-end European names. The market has also been hurt by Beijing’s crackdown on corruption, which sharply curtailed the practice of giving officials valuable baubles as gifts.

Ms. Yeung is a relative newcomer to Gucci, having joined the company in February. Before that, she was head of Singapore for Chanel and held positions in Taiwan, Hong Kong and Vancouver with luxury brand Louis Vuitton. She wasn’t immediately available for comment.

Speaking to analysts after Gucci’s parent, Kering SA, reported third-quarter earnings Thursday, the group’s chief financial officer, Jean Marc Duplaix, said that her main task would be to improve customers’ experience in Gucci Chinese stores and better control distribution.

The Italian brand’s head of China position has been empty since January, when former Estée Lauder executive Carol Shen left. A Gucci spokesman said the decision to let Ms. Shen go was mutual. In a recent interview, Ms. Shen said it was a culture clash, and that she joined the company at a time when the market was shifting dramatically--and the company was unable to shift with it.

“The brand lost sales and didn’t have time to rebuild its brand equity or a sturdy foundation,” she said.

The brand doesn’t release Chinese sales figures, but HSBC Holdings PLC estimates sales there fell 2.3% to €462 million ($584 million) last year. By comparison, sales grew 30% in 2011 and 21% in 2012, HSBC says. Gucci store traffic and employee retention have also taken a hit, according to interviews with former employees and retail experts.

Gucci’s Chief Executive Patrizio di Marco has said that the company is consolidating in the region after having grown too fast. “We focused on dimension in China,” he said, adding that sometimes “when you run, you may forget you need to walk.”
[391 words]

[Time 6]
On Thursday, Kering said that Gucci’s China business is “stabilizing”, but revenues are still down. Sales in Hong Kong, instead, have further deteriorated in the quarter.

Kering added that global sales at the brand—which accounts for around 52% of the total luxury activities’ sales—declined 1.6% to €851 million in the third quarter from a year earlier.

Ms. Shen’s tenure coincided with a Chinese government ban on spending by civil servants for luxury goods as part of a drive to root out corruption and enforce austerity. It also came after Gucci and others spent heavily on expanding in China—a move that made luxury commonplace and dimmed the luster of a host of European brands. Consumers began to fear they might show up at an event wearing the same Gucci outfit as a friend, or carrying the same purse, said James Button, a senior manager at Shanghai-based consultancy SmithStreet.

“It became a victim of being a popular and recognizable brand,” said Mr. Button.

Wei Hsin, a 27-year-old Beijing shop owner, said he likes to splurge on himself, but he would rather buy a $500 vintage Levi’s jacket than anything new from an Italian luxury brand. “Luxury means things that are hard to find,” Mr. Wei said.

Ms. Shen said the Italian company was already taking steps to refurbish its image and was overhauling its internal management structure when she arrived. Steps included removing or playing down Gucci logos on products, to help stop the brand erosion. The company was also shifting management personnel to the mainland from Hong Kong.

Once Ms. Shen arrived, she said she looked for ways of running bigger stores and consolidating operations. In Beijing alone, Gucci has six stores—just one less than the number of outlets as Wal-Mart Stores Inc.’s eponymous brand. Under one deal with a mall developer, the Chinese company had subsidized outlets if Gucci opened them in its malls, according to people familiar with the matter. One flagship on a busy Shanghai shopping thoroughfare stands less than a kilometer away from another Gucci store.

A spokesman for Gucci said all store openings are a “strategic decision” based on location and commercial information. Openings aren’t influenced by local incentives, he said, adding that “opportunities that may arise as part of a negotiation are always evaluated carefully.”

Ms. Shen said she closed half a dozen stores in China during her tenure. The company now has 61.

But Ms. Shen said the industry was moving too fast, and that Gucci executives should have shifted their focus toward building sales with average individual buyers and away from bureaucratic gifting purchases long before China’s austerity campaign hit. “It was unfortunate timing,” she said.

“Gifting has never been the main priority for Gucci in China,” the spokesman for Gucci said, adding that the austerity campaign has had a “general impact” on the luxury sector. The spokesman said that before the austerity campaign Gucci had already adapted products reflecting the “evolution in the luxury consumer” in China.
[501 words]

[The Rest]
Gucci isn’t alone. China’s luxury goods sales are expected to decline 2% in mainland China this year, posting the first fall in luxury sales in over a decade of growth, according to consultancy firm Bain & Co. Growth rates have progressively slowed after surging 20% in 2012. Italy’s Prada SpA said in September that a slowdown in China contributed to a fall in its first-half profit, which slipped 21% to €245 million, down from the same period a year earlier. Burberry Group PLC said earlier this month that in its second quarter comparable-store sales growth (for stores open more than a year) fell to 8%, down from 12% in the first quarter. It didn’t detail what the factors were but did note “softening in growth from Chinese consumers both at home and when traveling.”

Ms. Shen said it is not unreasonable that Gucci is among those suffering. “Gucci was the largest luxury brand in a market that was turning really soft,” she said.
[163 words]

Source: Wall Street Journal
http://online.wsj.com/articles/gucci-names-merinda-yeung-as-new-china-chief-1414080296?KEYWORDS=china

本帖子中包含更多资源

x
板凳
 楼主| 发表于 2014-10-25 15:14:54 | 只看该作者
Part III: Obstacle

The Ninth Wave” sailing on the Huangpu River by the Bund, Shanghai, 2014.         
Credit Photograph by Wen-You Cai, courtesy Cai Studio
A Chinese Artist Confronts Environmental Disaster
Orville Schell   |   October 3, 2014

[Paraphrase 7]
What were all these sick animals—lions, wolves, camels, monkeys, gazelles, pandas, and zebras—doing on this dilapidated Chinese fishing boat, sailing past the famous frieze of colonial banks, trading houses, and clubs that make up Shanghai’s Bund? The city’s glass skyline of Pudong skyscrapers on the other side of the river only made this barnacle encrusted, almost Biblical ark filled with slumped, submissive creatures look more misplaced. No wonder the people on shore were perplexed. Why had Shanghai, a city recklessly proud of its miracle of modernity, allowed such a lugubrious, retrograde float to be paraded down its figurative main street? And where was this ship of the damned, loaded with broken-down animals, headed?

As it turned out, the city had not actually approved the boat’s voyage, and its destination was a dock next to the Power Station of Art, an old coal-fired power plant that’s been transformed into the enormous Museum of Contemporary Art. Here, it would be installed as the signature work in the new solo exhibit of the Chinese-born artist Cai Guo-Qiang. One of China’s best known and most globally celebrated artists, Cai was about to take over the museum for a retrospective of his drawings, sculptures, videos, paintings, installations, and signature gunpowder drawings. The show is titled “The Ninth Wave,” after an oil painting from 1850 by the Russian artist Ivan Aivazovsky, which depicts human survivors clinging to the wreckage of a sailing ship in a storm-tossed sea. While this work suggests man’s helplessness in the face of nature’s relentless power, Cai’s exhibit suggests an ironic thematic reversal: nature’s state of helplessness in the face of modern man’s relentless, Promethean drive to progress.

Cai is quick to insist that he does not see himself as someone using art as a didactic “tool.” After all, in China it is risky for an artist or intellectual to be too explicitly political, as Ai Weiwei and Liu Xiaobo bitterly learned. Although Cai has been more indirect in his approach, he has made no secret of the fact that he cares deeply about real-world issues, especially the global environment. But, like other Chinese artists and intellectuals who want to work within the boundaries of their own society without ending up under detention, much less in exile, he’s walking that difficult path between artistic truth and the good graces of the Party. In China, this is a high-wire act, requiring artists to maneuver within the confines of invisible but very real political walls that are ever expanding and contracting. Since environmental protection is one critically important realm in which the Party finds its interests overlapping—to some degree, at least—with those of independent writers, artists, intellectuals, and non-governmental actors, Cai has been able to push boundaries. His current exhibit (which runs through October 28th) is designed to remind viewers of their inextricable relationship to nature, a connection that he views as having been lost as China and the world have rushed headlong to develop.

The show kicked off with several tons of Cai’s fireworks being released from a barge on the Huangpu River, producing patterns in smoke that suggested flowers, trees, mountains, and birds. It is hard to imagine any other artist in China receiving permission for such an opening, which required a temporary halting of boat traffic on the busy river. But because Cai has so often shown abroad in museums such as the Guggenheim and the Metropolitan Museum of Art, he has acquired enough international stature to be indulged in China. (Cai now lives in New York.) It is often only after an artist becomes what the Chinese call “gold-plated” abroad that he or she is embraced at home, sometimes even by the Party. This pattern suggests how important Western respect and deference still are, even in a resurgent China.

On the second floor of the Power Station of Art’s Great Hall is a nearly hundred-foot-long panoramic painting, “The Bund Without Us,” depicting Shanghai’s fabled riverfront reclaimed by nature and roaming with wild animals several hundred years after human beings have inexplicably vanished. Cai says that the work, which is rendered in his signature medium of gunpowder ignited on paper and brush, “conjures the spirit in the literati paintings” of an earlier era, “when people live humbly and in harmony with nature, an ideal that stands in opposition to the way in which people interact with nature now.”

Perhaps the most haunting room in this new show is dedicated to “Silent Ink,” an installation that captures Cai’s indirect but powerful approach to artistic messaging. Somehow, he won permission from the museum’s director, Gong Yan, to excavate a large convex depression in the thick concrete floor of one of the former power plant’s huge upstairs rooms, and then to fill it with thousands of gallons of the pitch-black ink used for traditional calligraphy and brush painting. An overhead nozzle shoots jets of ink down into the pool, creating both a soothing waterfall-like sound and strange patterns on the glistening surface of the black “pond.” And finally, around this interior excavation, Cai has piled up all the concrete rubble and bent steel rebar, jack-hammered out of the floor, to look something like mountains in a classical landscape painting.

“Silent Ink” harkens back to the traditional landscapes with calligraphy that influenced Cai as a boy watching his father, Cai Ruiqin, paint. But it also echoes one of his best-known other works, “Heritage,” in which he arrayed a veritable U.N. of ninety-nine animals from all continents drinking peacefully together around a tranquil blue pond. Even without animals, the point in “Silent Ink” is hardly lost: China’s reality is that many lakes and rivers have been so polluted that they are too toxic even for industrial use, never mind for animals to drink. With “Silent Ink” (think “Silent Spring”), Cai has subtly connected traditional Chinese landscape painting, in which nature was always represented as ascendant over man, to our modern world, where man has become ascendant over nature. For centuries, landscape painters have depicted human beings as minute figures, often in passive contemplation, amid the grandness of nature. Their seemingly inferior positions suggested that man was not only an inescapable part of nature but also that his proper attitude toward it should be one of respectful humility. Other kinds of human intrusion in these traditional paintings usually involved no more than a small boat, a delicate pagoda, a miniscule bridge, or the faint outlines of a thatched hut. Man’s idealized angle of repose in this natural world was accommodating, not challenging; his role was to fit into it rather than to transform it for his own purposes.

As a young boy raised by a traditionalist father, Cai was steeped in classical painting’s notion of the inseparability of all forms of life. He is now reaching back to that form with nostalgia, while also updating it to reflect current realities. When traditional landscape painting was still ascendant, the Chinese did not yet fully possess the ambition to dominate their natural world and exploit its resources. This change came only after the example of the nineteenth-century Industrial Revolution, when Europeans became captivated by a new dynamism and a mania for industrial production. Soon enough, the Chinese, too, became obsessed with gaining sufficient “wealth and power” to defend their country against the imperial predations of Japan and the West. Henceforth, they also began to strive to place themselves not in nature but above it. This change revealed itself starkly after the People’s Republic was founded in 1949. In socialist-realist landscapes of the time, artists often still started with traditional scenes of mountains and water—the Chinese term for “landscape paintings” is literally “mountains and water”—but then insinuated into them high-tension lines, factories belching smoke, bulldozers, or dam projects with brigades of stalwart proletarians, toiling with revolutionary zeal to transform the natural landscape.

Cai, who is fifty-six years old, lived through this period and then saw a critical global shift, as many Chinese began to reexamine and reassess the costs of reckless and unsustainable industrial development. Even as he has become a modern-art phenomenon, Cai has seemed to find a new satisfaction in embracing aspects of traditional Chinese culture that lay latent within him, almost like recessive genes, during earlier periods of artistic experimentation. But, with his own growing concern for environmentalism, he now finds these genes starting to express themselves in the form of a new respect for traditional naturalism. This new focus is certainly timely, because nowhere have the environmental costs of development been more alarmingly evident than in China as it has become “the industrial factory to the world.”

Paramount among all the global environmental challenges is, of course, climate change, a threat largely caused by the emission of carbon dioxide from the burning of fossil fuels. Now that China has become the world’s most prolific producer of heat-trapping gasses, particularly from coal-fired power plants, it is fitting that Cai’s “The Ninth Wave” is being shown in the former power station that houses China’s first state-funded museum of contemporary art. To complete the irony, the power plant’s towering but now vestigial brick chimney, which once emitted millions of tons of CO2, has now been adorned with a huge neon thermometer that measures elevating temperatures on the outside. Inside, it has been transformed into a museum gallery. Here, Cai has hung a children’s swing on which he has seated three demented-looking babies, silently arcing back and forth in the cavernous chimney. This haunting work is called “Air of Heaven,” as if the toxic fumes that were once injected from the plant into the atmosphere were now somehow engaged in emitting celestial aromas. If the three mutant babies represent mankind’s generations to come, one would have to conclude that Cai’s vision of our environmental future is dark indeed.
[1637 words]

Source: The New Yorker
http://www.newyorker.com/culture/cultural-comment/chinese-artist-confronts-environmental-disaster

本帖子中包含更多资源

x
地板
发表于 2014-10-26 04:22:52 | 只看该作者
thank you for posting. Reading everyday becomes a habit in my life.
5#
发表于 2014-10-26 07:12:41 | 只看该作者
Speaker
tribute: sth that you do and say to show honor or respect to someone. eg. speech or party
shrine: holy place that prayers show their religious respect. in this conversation,that means woman do much more than for tribute
obssessed: sb is always thinking about one thing, a kind of mental illness
infatuated: being love with mostly in a short time
adulation: show lots of love to sth/sb to much
get carry away: do too much sth
devoted: strongly commited to sth
admire: think sb/sth good that is deserved respect
stalk: follow sb secretly and this behavior is potentially illegal
keep tabs: know the location of sb

Time2+Time3+Time4 1'43''
Zuck spoke mandarin when he delivered speech in Tsinghua University.
American love others catering to them and the author thinks that learning other language help open new world in natural way.

Time5+Time6 2'37''
A chinese chief took over Gucci but the marker of Gucci in China is unfavorable
The austerity campaign impact the luxury market and Gucci excutives should improve sales among customers ranther than gifting purchases

Obstacle: 6'15''
Cai 's art,a ship of the damned, loaded with broken-down animals,reflected his irony of industralization and his urge to environmental protection.
6#
发表于 2014-10-26 09:00:37 | 只看该作者
Time 2: 2’32’’ ZB spoke Mandarin in THU. That surprised people.
Time 3: 1’59 the author tried to explain why it is so surprising that Zuck could speak Mandarin. Americans tend to mono linguistic  
Time 4: 1’25 Although Americans are in  a kind of awkward position, the author regarded that they should hold in that position and try a second language which is good for opening a new world, pathway, and personality.
Time 5: 2’38  MY is  appointed as the new executive of Gucci whose sales has been impaired by Beijing’s crackdown on corruption. Why did the predecessor resign. How are market now.
Time 6: 3’19 the unfortunate timing for Ms.shen
The rest : the whole luxury market is impacted, not just Gucci.
Obstacle :11’27 Several aspects to explore the theme of Cai’s performance. Environment, naturalism, party, politics, personal    experience.
7#
发表于 2014-10-26 09:44:51 | 只看该作者
T2        389        141        165.53         it is surprising that mark can speak maderin because most of american can hold a conversation in a second langauge
T3        353        130        162.92         "there are 2 easy explanations for america's monolingualism
unlike europe , america is seperated from other languages
when english speakers travel abroad ,they tend to expect the world to cater to them
therefore people  dont expect americans especially those whoes parents are also americans can  speak a foreign language
"
T4        242        76        191.05         speaking a foreign language can help to better explore this country  and open a new world
T5        391        134        175.07         china was an once-hot luxuary market but now has gone cold because of bejing's crackdown on corruption
                                gucci's new china chief's main task is to improve customers' experience in gucci chinese stores and better control distribution
T6        501        242        124.21         the sales of gucci delcined
                                the steps included removing gucci logos , shifting management personnel to the mainland from hk and closing some stores in china
OB        1637        609        161.28        
8#
发表于 2014-10-26 10:36:12 | 只看该作者
speaker
  a conversation about whether or not Fiona is Gordon’s fan. and she think she is not, an give some example, and Marcel finally agree with her. ( should be a satire)
time 2 2’07
   people are amazed about Mark Zuckerberg can speak Chinese. and most of Americans can not speak second language while most other countries people can speak three or five language.
time 3 2’02
   because of the isolation, not like Europe, Americans just need speak english, and most people in the world speak english with Americans, no one needs Americans to speak second language. so Zuckerberg’s Chinese make people surprise.
time 4  1’19
    a great number of Spanish speakers in US, and English-only America should try to learn Spanish or other language.
time 5 2’11
    Gucci get a new chief in China.  and there are some problem in Chinese market.
    situation in India, lack of chief.
time 6 2’57
the rest
     Gucci’s revenue in China still down. reason may be the government ban, and people don’t want to wear the same as others. Ms. Shen choose to close half a dozen stores in China.
     China’s luxury goods sales decline.
obstacle 9’37
     Cai’s view about China environment change. most pollute, animals living place get pollute, and animals get hurt. people should protect environment, otherwise it will become worse.
9#
发表于 2014-10-26 10:37:11 | 只看该作者
time 2-4
掌管 3        00:01:52.17        00:06:54.25
掌管 2        00:02:14.09        00:05:02.07
掌管 1        00:02:47.98        00:02:47.98
Zuck's recent vistit in China surprised many people mostly because he speaks Chinese! Unlike most other Americans, who

take it for granted that all of the world should speak English and there is no need for a native English-speaker to learn a

second language, Zuck has learned Chinese for several years and could now speak it fluently. Only a small fraction of

people in America speak other languages such as Spanish. Learning a new language will benefit people in many ways,

helping to shape personalities and become more open to multiculture.

time 5-6-rest
掌管 3        00:00:55.15        00:07:23.15
掌管 2        00:03:28.10        00:06:27.99
掌管 1        00:02:59.88        00:02:59.88
The Italia luxury brand Gucci appointed a new chief to in China. This company, as well as some other luxury brands such as

Channel, Buburry and LV, is experiencing a decrease in sales partly due to the anti-corruption movement in Chinese civil-

servants system. One officer of Gucci says that the company is making effort to make a shift and change the conception of

luxury.

obstacle: 00:10:35
Cai Guoqiang, one of most famous artists in China, held a special form of artistic display---having a broken ship sail through Huangpu River with a load of endangered animals---to call for attention to the environmental problems.
10#
发表于 2014-10-26 12:26:32 | 只看该作者
【speed】
time2:2min10s
That Zuck speaks Mandrain shocks several Americans.However, the language in USA is very simple, so there are little Americans who speak second language. In Afica, so many people speak four or five languages because there are 2000 languages here.
time3:2min6s
Americans do not have any motivation and expectation to learn a second language and speak well.
time4:1min18s
Zuck is very brave and wise to learn Mandrain. American should take action to learn a second language, such as Spanish, because there are so many Spanish speakers in the United States. In addition, Learning a second language opens up new worlds, new neural pathways -- even new personalities.
time5:2min30s
Gucci’s new China chief has several tough task: make the Italian brand’s name shine and improve the experience of Chinese customers.=> She also faces several problems :  the declined sales, employees and competation.
time6:3min10s
Ms. Shen pepares to take several steps : rebuilt the management structure, change the design and style of Gucci`s product, close some stores in China and change the focus about the main customers.
【obstacle】9min23s
Cai Guo-Qiang opens an exhibition that focus on the environmental problems.=> In fact , Cai faces several difficulties  to do such a thing in China.=>The content about the exhibition is sufficient. => The inspiration of "Silent Ink" derives from his childhood. => Cai experienced  the change of China for 60 years, so he tries to do something to call for people`s attention on the traditional painting culture. After all, China is impacted deeply by the Industry Revolution.
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

Mark一下! 看一下! 顶楼主! 感谢分享! 快速回复:

手机版|ChaseDream|GMT+8, 2024-4-25 14:58
京公网安备11010202008513号 京ICP证101109号 京ICP备12012021号

ChaseDream 论坛

© 2003-2023 ChaseDream.com. All Rights Reserved.

返回顶部