跳转到指定楼层
楼主
发表于 2014-10-23 10:59:29 | 只看该作者 回帖奖励 |倒序浏览 |阅读模式
内容:铁板神猴 编辑AgendaChen

Stay tuned to our latest post! Follow us here --->http://weibo.com/u/347690447

Part I: Speaker

Focus More on Value Capture
by HBR IdeaCast  |   6:02 PM October 9, 2014

Stefan Michel, professor at IMD, says your business should rethink how it captures value, not just how it creates it.

Source: Harvard Business Review
http://blogs.hbr.org/2014/10/focus-more-on-value-capture/

[Rephrase 1, 11:33]

本帖子中包含更多资源

您需要 登录 才可以下载或查看,没有帐号?立即注册

x
收藏收藏 收藏收藏
沙发
 楼主| 发表于 2014-10-23 10:59:30 | 只看该作者
Part II: Speed

Respect is not enough
by David Livermore  |  20 Oct 2014

[Warm Up]
Almost every time I speak on cultural intelligence, someone asks, “Isn’t this basically a matter of respect? If we would learn to respect each other as fellow human beings, most of our intercultural conflicts would go away.”

Yes and no. I’m happy to agree on “respect” as the driving motivation for cultural intelligence. But respect on its own is not enough.

The trouble is, we can’t always see intent through behavior. You might intend to be respectful when you speak to me in a very blunt way, thinking, “I respect you enough to tell it to you like it is”. But if I come from a culture that says respect is best conveyed by saving face and speaking more indirectly, what you intend as respectful may actually come off as rude.
[131 words]

[Time 2]
Respect is a noble motivation for cultural intelligence. But the way we demonstrate respect is culturally conditioned. Let’s explore a few examples:

A deli in Iowa vs a deli in New York
You walk into a deli in New York and you’re greeted with, “Next? What do you want?”. This is the kind of greeting that causes many outsiders to view New Yorkers as rude. But the unspoken principle in a New York deli is to respect customers’ time by getting them in and out as quickly as possible.

But if you walk into a deli in a small town in Iowa and you’re greeted with, “Good afternoon. How you doin’ today?” followed by some friendly chit chat, some customers will view that as welcoming and others will perceive it as rude, inauthentic and as a disregard for their time.

Royal treatment vs being ‘green’
Last week I talked with an event planner who was organizing a formal dinner in the United Arab Emirates to raise awareness and funds for environmental responsibility. The event is hosted by one of the royal families. In reviewing the details of the dinner, the Sheik wanted to ensure that there would be extravagant, large bouquets of flowers on each table.

The event planner told the Sheik, “But Sir. It would not send a good message to have a ‘green’ event that includes huge bouquets that will simply be tossed away.” The Sheik was incredibly anxious about the disrespect it would communicate to his guests if the dinner lacked this kind of extravagance and attention to detail. But the organizer convinced him to give guests a potted bamboo plant they could take home with them and nurture.
[282 words]

[Time 3]
Respecting a Professor
Or what if you’re a student and your professor comes from a high power distance orientation? Respecting her might mean greeting her by her formal title, standing when she enters the room, and not eating in class. Whereas respect for a professor coming from a low power distance culture would be better demonstrated by coming to class prepared, being on time, offering input, and perhaps reducing the level of formality used in addressing the professor. Respect is conferred and received differently based upon the value orientations of the student and professor.

I applaud any effort to elevate the importance of respect for one another. Respect rests in your intentions and that’s a critical part of cultural intelligence. In fact, CQ Drive - your interest and motivation to adapt to different cultures - is the first of the four CQ capabilities. But respect alone is not enough.

•        Customer service reps need the skills to accurately interpret an interaction and respond effectively and respectfully.
•        Negotiators need culturally intelligent strategies to build trust and close deals across cultures.
•        Organizations need global standards that are applied universally while allowing flexibility for how regions enact standards like responsibility, innovation, and integrity.

These are the kinds of skills that leaders and teams in organizations operating around the world need to develop.

Cultural intelligence has to be driven by respect or it’s simply a tool to manipulate others. But it’s overly simplistic to think what your default social skills and what you intend to be respectful will be enough. The greater the cultural distance, the more likely your respect won’t be interpreted as respect. But as we consciously develop the skills to read a situation, take the perspective of others, and behave with cultural intelligence, we’ll make great strides in being both respectful and effective in our increasingly diverse, globalized world.
[307 words]

Source: Management Issues
http://www.management-issues.com/opinion/6975/respect-is-not-enough/

How to Find The Right People
OCTOBER 20, 2014

[Time 4]
I’ve hired thousands of people in my career and I can tell you there are really only two kinds of people at work, and learning to separate them can save you a lot of time.  There are expanders and there are containers, and rarely is one person both.

Expanders thrive on change and need to see how far they can go. They’re happiest pushing the envelope, making new friends and taking lots of risks. Containers are exactly the opposite. They naturally like to keep things in order, build good systems and stay on top of all the details. They can clearly see the logic in any situation and they don’t live well in chaos.  Expanders like to spend their money long before they have it, but containers always lock their money up and are adept at keeping you from losing yours.

The day my future business partner walked in to interview for a sales position at The Corcoran Group, I had five empty desks to fill but no intention of letting her have one. Esther explained she was an executive secretary, and judging by her beige double-knit suit and low-heeled shoes, I believed her. Everything Esther told me about herself was opposite to what I had learned would make a good salesperson.  I ended the interview politely with my usual ‘one, two, don’t call me, I’ll call you,’ handing her my card. When she tipped her little black purse forward to put it away, I was shocked to see that it was set up like a miniature file cabinet inside, with little colored tabs and even labels! I knew that moment I had met my new business partner and hired Esther Kaplan on the spot, figuring that anyone who could keep her purse looking like that could probably keep my business in perfect order too.
[305 words]

[The Rest]
Esther proved herself the consummate container, good at everything I wasn’t good at. Esther hired our support staff, vetted suppliers, and ran our legal, technology, and accounting departments. She managed cash flow and wrestled larger and larger credit lines from our lenders as we grew. Esther handled all her responsibilities twice as well as I could have done, and she thrived on it. That left me all the time in the world to do what expanders do well – recruiting, schmoozing, marketing, advertising, and promoting and growing our business.  We were a team of opposite talents that couldn’t be beat and together we built the biggest residential brokerage firm in New York City. Learning to hire the right person for the job is essential to building any business, and using the expander and container in the roles they naturally do well is the key.
[143 words]

Source: Entrepreneur
http://www.entrepreneur.com/article/238621

The Three Trends Testing The Workforce of The Future
[Time 5]
Technology, technology, technology
If there’s one thing that characterizes the future of work, it’s freedom. The freedom to work however you want, whenever you want and wherever you want, regardless of organizational, technological or geographical boundaries.

Equipped with the personal technology needed to make this future possible, the modern worker is already primed to change the way their companies get things done. The trouble is, companies haven’t managed to evolve their own technology stacks as quickly.

It’s a troubling paradox that’s left corporate IT scrambling to get out of its own way. If companies are ever going to embrace the workforce of the future, they’re going to have to learn to work the way their people want to. That means preparing themselves for three major trends:

1. The BYOD Blitzkrieg 
To the modern employee, freedom means the ability to bring whatever tablet or smartphone they’re using at home to work — and then seamlessly working from it. It isn’t some superficial insistence on using the technology they’re comfortable with — it’s a way of integrating their work into the broader context of their personal lives so they can do more.

Mobile technology is also changing the way people look for employment. Craig Safir, director of cloud and converged markets at Sprint, suggests that potential employees are evaluating companies based on their BYOD policies. “People are looking to use not only the devices they have, but also the applications that work best for them. That’s really powerful and there needs to be an approach to embrace and enhance that BYOD solution.”

IT’s challenge is to lift the constraints that draw a technological line between the office building and everywhere else. In doing so, IT also has to secure the networks, the data and the devices to give the organization the same level of protection it’s used to.

It may not be easy, but it’s vital.
[312 words]

[Time 6]
2. The rise of the freelance economy

Companies are finding it increasingly useful to leverage the skills and expertise of part-time professionals who are working in increasingly flexible ways. The value they bring far outweighs the marginal cost to the company.

But freelancers bring with them a host of new risks and challenges for IT to deal with. If one person is working for five different companies — some of which will almost certainly be competitors — should he be allowed to leave the building with access to classified information on his devices?

Safir suggests the onus should be on the network provider to support the right level of security for all different levels of access required.

3. Working together, further apart

The workforce of the future collaborates regardless of time zone and geography. The workforce of today struggles to book a meeting room for next week. The difference between the two challenges the momentum and cadence of the organization.

If the aim of businesses is to align the productivity of different people, on different devices, in different places, from different teams, then cloud-based collaboration is vital to the efficacy of IT’s efforts. The quicker IT can deploy these tools and manage the complexity into meaningfully better experiences, the quicker businesses can grow.

IT has never played a more crucial role in the working world. If IT gets this wrong, it risks slowing the entire operation, leaving it lagging behind the competition. But if IT gets it right, it will empower people to have more freedom and flexibility than they’ve ever known.
[260 words]

Source: Wall Street Journal
http://online.wsj.com/ad/article/narratives_sprint_72948.html

本帖子中包含更多资源

x
板凳
 楼主| 发表于 2014-10-23 10:59:31 | 只看该作者
Part III: Obstacle

Both symptom and balm
The oil price is tumbling. Is that good or bad news for the world economy?

[Paraphrase 7]
AFTER declining gradually for three months, oil prices suddenly tumbled almost $4 on October 14th alone. It was the largest single-day fall in more than a year and brought the price of Brent crude, an international benchmark, to $85 a barrel. At its peak in June, a barrel had cost $115.

Normally, falling oil prices would boost global growth. A $10-a-barrel fall in the oil price transfers around 0.5% of world GDP from oil exporters to oil importers. Consumers in importing countries are more likely to spend the money quickly than cash-rich oil exporters. By boosting spending cheaper oil therefore tends to boost global output.

This time, though, matters are less clear cut. The big economic question is whether lower prices reflect weak demand or have been caused by a surge in the supply of crude. If weak demand is the culprit, that is worrying: it suggests the oil price is a symptom of weakening growth. If the source of weakness is financial (debt overhangs and so on), then cheaper oil may not boost growth all that much: consumers may simply use the gains to pay down their debts. Indeed, in some countries, cheaper oil may even make matters worse by increasing the risk of deflation. On the other hand, if plentiful supply is driving prices down, that is potentially better news: cheaper oil should eventually boost spending in the world’s biggest economies.

The global economy is certainly weak. Japan’s GDP fell in the second quarter. Germany’s did too, and may be heading towards recession (recent figures for industrial production and exports were dreadful). America’s growth has accelerated recently, but its recovery is weak by historical standards. Just before this week’s oil-price slump, the International Monetary Fund cut its projection for global growth in 2014 for the third time this year to 3.3%. It is still expecting growth to pick up again in 2015, but only slightly.

Weaker growth translates into lower energy demand. This week, the International Energy Agency, an oil importers’ club, said it expects global demand to rise by just 700,000 barrels a day (b/d) this year. That is 200,000 b/d below its forecast only last month. Demand has been weak for a while but the recent slowdown—notably in Germany—took markets by surprise, hence the sharp fall in the price.

But feeble demand is not the only explanation. There has also been a big supply shock. Since April last year the world’s total output of oil has been rising strongly. Most months’ output has been 1m-2m b/d a day higher than the year before. In September, this expansion jumped dramatically (see chart); global output was 2.8m b/d above the level of September 2013.

Most of the growth in supply has come from countries that are not members of OPEC, the oil exporters’ club—from America in particular. Thanks partly to increases in shale-oil output, the United States pumped 8.8m b/d in September—13% more than in the year before, 56% above the level of 2011 and not far short of Saudi Arabia. Russian oil production is also inching up, suggesting sanctions have not yet begun to be felt in its oilfields. In September, its output rose to 10.6m b/d, within a whisker of the highest monthly figure since the collapse of the Soviet Union.

Non-OPEC production, though, has been rising for a while. The biggest recent change has come from within the cartel. In April, Libya’s production—hit by civil war—crashed to just 200,000 b/d; by the end of September output was back up to 900,000 b/d and heading towards its pre-war level of 1.5m b/d. No less surprisingly, Iraq’s output is rising, too. The upshot is that OPEC production started to grow again in September after almost two years of decline, compounding the impact of growing non-OPEC supplies.

With demand weak, much of the extra output has gone into rebuilding oil stocks in rich countries. But that cannot go on indefinitely. As the hoarding slows, prices are likely to weaken again—unless world demand picks up or oil production is cut.

Neither seems imminent. Antoine Halff, the IEA’s chief oil analyst, points out that very little current production becomes uneconomic even at $80 a barrel. The break-even point for most American shale-oil producers has been falling as they have refined their fracking techniques, and is now well below $70 a barrel. So prices will have to fall further if they are to drive marginal producers out of business.

New trade patterns reinforce the downward pressure on prices. OPEC exporters once informally carved up the world between them, with Nigeria and Venezuela selling to America, smaller Gulf states to Japan, and so on. But American oil imports have fallen from 309m barrels a month in 2010 to 236m a month now. European demand is weak. So everyone is competing for market share in Asia.

Saudi Arabia shocked the rest of OPEC by cutting forward prices for Asian delivery and by increasing oil output slightly in September (by 107,000 barrels), at a time when other exporters wanted it to cut back. The organisation is due to meet again in November. But as Kuwait’s oil minister remarked recently, “I don’t think there is a chance today that [OPEC] countries would reduce their production.” How soon—and how much—lower prices will translate into an increase in global demand, though, is far less certain.
[897 words]

Source: Economist
http://www.economist.com/news/finance-and-economics/21625819-oil-price-tumbling-good-or-bad-news-world-economy-both

本帖子中包含更多资源

x
地板
发表于 2014-10-23 16:33:28 | 只看该作者
Speed
time2.3
173w/m
"The ways of respect is different in different cultures.
1.Introduce the topic:respect is important but not enough
2.Three examples to show how people react differently to so-called respect
3.tips for respect:it's crucial to respect from intention"

time4
150w/m
There are two kinds of people: container and expander,different people are suitable for different jobs

time5.6
157w/m
Freedom is the main character of future work,however,only IT can support the evolution

Obstacles
163w/m
"The price of oil is decreasing notably
Reasons:weak demand&more supply"

5#
发表于 2014-10-23 16:34:11 | 只看该作者
sufangfang27 发表于 2014-10-23 16:33
Speed
time2.3

妈呀~中断10天后回归竟然是地板!!!上次考G失败了。我要加油~~~
6#
发表于 2014-10-23 17:16:17 | 只看该作者
4-------Thursday, October 23, 2014  
Part I: Speaker
The interview talk about the theory of Seteven, a professor about marketing and business. He commend that investors often wait coustomers and ?? rather than capture the value for customers. The  theory based global research and divided into 5 cataglories. (details?) He lists a couple a examples for the first two catagories, such as water solution in developing country, coffee sales and government licence in China. (D? ) Then they talk about how to use this theory.(D?) Company should look out their competitor.This framework is to make the top manager more alert.

Part II: Speed  
Warmup   
1’18
Cultural intelligence is not equal to respect, because the counterpart can not see the intent through behaviors. A example detailedly describes the different interpretion理解 on the respectful manner(s?) of expressing some same  problems.
Time 2
3’20
The different demonstrations of respect can be interpreted to different meaning. There are two example to convey the conditioned situations. One is deli in New York and Iowa, the other is the choice of extravagant flower on conference dinner hosted by royal family.
Time 3
4’27
The ways for a student to show respect to professors from high or low power distance areas are quite different. Show customers respect should be interpreted and consistent with the customers’ understanding
Time 4
3’23
There are two different types of people, container and expander, who usual have different attitude towards order, risk and money management. The story how the author decided to hire his future partner on the interview when he saw her purse arranged in a highly organized way.
1’17
How his partner do well in the area she was in charge, and how they two, perfect container and expander, achieved at career. He comments that the key point is to hire the right person on the right work place.
Time 5
3’34
The technology has enable people have more freedom to work and leads the future way of workforce. The companies have to adopt to this not easy but vital challenge.
Time 6
3’34
The flexisibility of workforce will enable people to work for more companies at same time, thereby questioning how to prevent the business secret revealed illegally. This part explains the specific meaning of “work together, stay further ”. IT was construed as the vital point of future workforce. If IT industry gets this right, it could provide people with far more freedom to work than that of ever being.(?)
Part III: Obstacle
10’49
The oil price is declining gradually and stumpled 4 dollar per barrels on a single day. The declining oil price was caused by a couple of factor. First, the weaker economy appears globally. Second, the oil production in Non-OPEC countries have increased. Third, in order to compete in Asia market, one of the OPEC countries sold enormous oil at a low price.
7#
发表于 2014-10-23 17:23:31 | 只看该作者
0:56
1:50
2:29
2:21
0:59
2:32
1:50
Obstacle 9:51
The oil price is falling account for two reasons.
The first is weak demand of oil, and the second reason is that the output of oil is rising.
8#
发表于 2014-10-23 20:30:40 | 只看该作者
23/10/2014
00:00:28.56
00:01:25.75
00:01:35.29
00:01:26.45
00:00:49.61
00:01:55.93
Obstacle: 00:06:02:31
00:01:31.32
9#
发表于 2014-10-23 20:37:38 | 只看该作者
warmup 00:37
time2 1:31
time3 1:49
time4 1:48
time5 1:57
time6 1:37

obstacle  4:49

14/10/23
10#
发表于 2014-10-23 20:59:48 | 只看该作者
speaker
  an interview with Stephan about his paper about capture more value.
  change the price magnize, change the payer,find different buyer.
  change price carrier, coffee as example. about google improve willingness to pay.
time 2 1’31
  habit is different in different place. such as Iowa and New York. and giving green thing may send good message not flowers.
time 3 1’47
   how to show respect to professor.
   what is CQ, and how leaders should do.
   cultural intelligence and respect, which different way in different place.
time 4 1’42
   there are expanders and container and rare both.
   My partner Esther was not the one at first but then I choose her.
time 5 1’38
time 6 1’20
  employee need use technology free. they can use anything which is the best. they need to be flexible.
obstacle 4’28
   oil price decrease and tumbled, and the situation about many countries. the weak economy. the price and demand and supply.
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

Mark一下! 看一下! 顶楼主! 感谢分享! 快速回复:

手机版|ChaseDream|GMT+8, 2024-4-25 19:39
京公网安备11010202008513号 京ICP证101109号 京ICP备12012021号

ChaseDream 论坛

© 2003-2023 ChaseDream.com. All Rights Reserved.

返回顶部