搜索
12345下一页
返回列表 发新帖
查看: 9051|回复: 49

[阅读小分队] 【Native Speaker每日综合训练—42系列】【42-05】经管 Job&Labor

[精华] [复制链接]
发表于 2014-9-25 22:19:31 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
内容:吐吐yeah 编辑:小蘑菇开始打怪

Stay tuned to our latest post! Follow us here ---> http://weibo.com/u/3476904471

今天的主题是Job & Labor
Speaker与主题无关
Speed第一篇谈了谈如何避免bait-and-switch (玩诱饵调包手法的) job offers, 第二篇围绕员工离职,举了星巴克education decision的例子进行阐述。
Obstacle则是用一系列数据分析美国劳动力的走向,大家Enjoy~!

Part I: Speaker

Dems Probably Won't Take The House, So Why Are They Raising So Much_
by PETER OVERBY September 24, 2014 4:26 PM ET

Source: NPR
http://www.npr.org/2014/09/24/351246923/dems-probably-wont-take-the-house-so-why-are-they-spending-so-much

[Rephrase 1, 19: 32]

本帖子中包含更多资源

您需要 登录 才可以下载或查看,没有帐号?立即注册

x
 楼主| 发表于 2014-9-25 22:19:32 | 显示全部楼层
Part II: Speed

Ask the Headhunter: How to avoid bait-and-switch job offers
By Nick Corcodilos | September 16, 2014

[Time 2]
Question: I was hired as an executive assistant at an established company, with some 10,000 employees globally. When I was hired, the recruiter (who worked for the company) ensured me verbally that the benefits were very good, “comparable to any big company,” and insisted that they were on par with any other organization I’ve worked with.

Turns out, they aren’t. I pay 50 percent of my health insurance (approximately $750/month), my vacation is mandated in December because of annual office closure, no overtime is offered, I work one scheduled weekend per month unpaid, and my significant other was not covered under benefits (though a same-sex partner would have been) until we are married.

The recruiter quit her job two weeks after I was hired. I have not brought up my issues with the company, and have been there 10 months. The culture is very much that one should not complain because you should be happy you have a job.

I took a 25 percent pay cut for this gig. Do I have any legal recourse? I fear that the legal costs would outweigh the benefit. In the meantime, I’m looking for a new role outside of the company but have found that my “new” salary requirements have me in a different bracket.

Nick Corcodilos: I doubt you have any legal recourse, but I’m not a lawyer and this isn’t legal advice. You could start by talking with your state’s department of labor and employment — they may be able to advise you, and they may have other complaints on record about this employer.

It’s pretty clear the recruiter baited you. See “Why do companies hide the benefits?” Too often, job applicants trust what is stated orally in an interview without insisting that the commitment be reproduced in writing in the job offer. It amazes me that an applicant will read an offer letter carefully — but never ask for the written benefits. The benefits are part of the offer. I urge you and all of our readers: Read all components of the offer carefully.

You must state your position to an employer clearly.
[351 words]

[Time 3]
How to Say It: “I’m impressed with your company, and I’m eager to come to work with you. However, I cannot accept this offer without knowing all the terms of employment, including the benefits. I could no more sign an employment agreement without knowing all the terms than your company could sign a business contract without knowing what it was committing to. I’m sure you understand. Could you please provide me with your employee manual, benefits package, and any other documents that would bind me after I start the job? Once I have these, I will promptly respond. I look forward to accepting your offer, and to making a significant contribution to your business. I hope I can count on your help so we can all get to work.”

What a recruiter tells you is akin to what a salesman tells you — it’s intended to close the deal. Good luck collecting on the oral promises later.

I agree that your most important next action is to start a very active job search. The solution to getting stuck applying for jobs with lower salaries is not to disclose your salary – apply for jobs that can pay you what you’re worth, and politely but firmly decline to disclose your salary history. Employers have no right to it. You must also be ready to demonstrate why you’re worth more than your current job pays. Two of my PDF books cover these topics: “Keep Your Salary Under Wraps” and “How Can I Change Careers?”

Start with your state’s labor office. Get their advice on the details of your situation. But I think that, unfortunately, when you accepted this job you accepted terms you did not understand clearly — because the employer misrepresented them. Please check this article for tips about how to avoid a lower salary at your next job: “How do I prove I deserve a higher job offer?”

I wish you the best. This kind of slimy behavior by employers is indefensible.
[329 words]

Source: Public Broadcasting Service
http://www.pbs.org/newshour/making-sense/ask-the-headhunter-how-to-avoid-bait-and-switch-job-offers/

Education, baristas and employee turnover
By Duane Dike | September 8, 2014
[Time 4]
That Howard Schultz guy is one smart cookie with his impressive decision to offer financial assistance to employees for online courses at Arizona State University. Even if employees don't take up his offer, I'd wager morale and workmanship will improve.

But first, some context. Work in the fast-food industry is mostly part time with few educational or pre-existing skills needed. The proportion of workers in the fast-food industry who are under age 20 is six times the rate for all workers. The work is considered unskilled, although specific training on food preparation, sanitation, and cash handling is taught after hire. (Incidentally, Starbucks considers its employees a step up from fast-food, and they might be, but I’d venture to say the source demographics are roughly the same.)

Fast-food work is generally considered to be front-line, meaning workers are in view of or have direct contact with customers. Fast-food restaurant owners look for potential employees who are neat and can exhibit natural rapport with customers. Room for advancement in the industry is typically limited to those workers with college degrees. Employment outlook is good, with a projection of 10% growth by 2018.

Training costs for fast-food workers in the U.S. are upwards of $10 billion per year (that's a lot of hamburgers). Top that with turnover rates of over 80% and sometimes over 100% and business leaders are hot, hot, hot, for change. But, most don't do anything. They plod along, developing more systems and training programs, ultimately giving employees one option: "I can quit this crummy job for another crummy job."

Should I Stay or Should I Go?
The stay/quit decision among workforce employees is a complicated, dissonant mix of factors. Often, the happiest day of a young worker's life is that very first job. However, something weird happens in a matter of months, sometimes days, changing those bright outlooks to dark stormy moods. The blame: boss behavior.
[317 words]

[Time 5]
But, the mix of moods and morale is more complicated than whether the boss is nice or mean. Some of the blame goes to corporate policy and the message it sends to front line employees. In a place like Starbucks, corporate bosses know that quality service by front line employees is everything to success. Grouchy employees make for bad business.

Therefore, keeping employees happy is a pretty darn important goal. The objective of any service oriented company (I'd argue any company) is to create cultures that are friendly, supportive, collaborative, and productive. Sounds simple enough, but is it? I've written before that consistently positive behavior by bosses is all important. But what about changes far away in corporate offices, like the Starbucks decision to offer educational assistance?

An Optimality? Is it Possible?
The Starbucks decision is genius. It solves or prevents a number of problems. One, the mere offer alone is hope for a way out. The fast-food model isn't built around life-long servitude of workers plodding full time with overtime at $10/hour. In a perfect world, work in the fast food industry would be transitional (from one phase of life to another) with workers learning a future trade, studying for a degree, or returning from another career for extra spending money. To keep the workforce fresh and bright, the best operating model for fast-food consists of the right proportion of sustainability and turnover.

My contention, and I'm sure my opinion foes are loading up counter arguments now, optimal turnover for unskilled, front line, low pay jobs is about 25%. That means newly hired employees will stick around for roughly three to four years. With 25% turnover and assuming workers move on to trades and professional careers (not other fast-food outlets), the workforce stays fresh and relatively well trained. These types of unskilled jobs are perfect breeding grounds for workers to improve their plight, to learn skilled trades or earn college degrees.
[322 words]

[Time 6]
Besides Hope, What Else Is There?
Starbucks’ education decision accomplishes three things besides hope for a better future. One, by offering educational reimbursement, they give workers a reason to stay employed while in school. And, it just so happens, a typical undergraduate degree takes about 4-5 years to complete. Voila, a turnover rate of roughly 25% magically appears.

The second benefit is a more educated, bright, enthusiastic, enlightened, thinking workforce. There's something different about those associates at Starbucks. They're friendly, seem to have some empowerment to make decisions, and know the product well. Howard is doing a lot of things right, like good training programs, benefits packages, and positive cultures.

Finally, if Starbucks gets a reputation for sending bright employees into professional and trade fields elsewhere, the incoming flow of new applicants will be that much more with-it than what might normally be seen without this program. Starbucks recruiters can choose from the best and brightest, partly because they prepare employees for life after Starbucks.

Why Education?
I’m guessing Howard and his advisors know the real truth of education and its relationship to business. Most majors really have nothing to do with coffee production and counter service businesses. I didn’t pop out of the University of California knowing much of anything about the entertainment industry. I was a psychology major, studying behavior and relationships. Sure, some obvious connections between my major and the entertainment industry exist. For example, understanding behavior is important to the art of leading others.

However, possibly more importantly, I learned to think critically, manipulate complicated systems, and manage bureaucracies. I learned intangible life/business skills through adding and dropping classes, knowing the best places to park my car, and sensing which professors to avoid. Possibly most important for business, I knew that to succeed I had to change my learning style to meet the demands of roughly 30-40 professors, those humans with a lot of power.

All these non-subject matter skills are what help me meander through this thing called business. Businesses today need thinking workers, those who know how to think critically and understand there are multiple paths to getting things done.

(And, how, you ask, do I know all this inside stuff about Starbucks? Well, my daughter worked there for a year until she packed up to study overseas. That's how I know, because I had my own undercover agent.)

“The challenge of the retail business is the human condition” [Howard Schultz]
[408 words]

Source: Management-Issues
http://www.management-issues.com/opinion/6955/education-baristas-and-employee-turnover/

本帖子中包含更多资源

x
 楼主| 发表于 2014-9-25 22:19:33 | 显示全部楼层
Part III: Obstacle

U.S. Labor Force: Where Have All the Workers Gone?
By Ravi Balakrishnan | August 8, 2014

[Paraphrase 7]
It’s not supposed to be this way. As the U.S. economy recovers, hirings increase and people are encouraged to look for jobs again. Instead, the ratio of the adult population with jobs, or looking for one—what’s called the labor force participation rate—has been falling, standing at 62.9 percent in July 2014.

This represents a 3 percentage point decline since the Great Recession and the lowest rate since 1978. What is more remarkable is that fully one-half of the gains in participation rates between 1960 and 2000—those driven by sweeping social changes such as the post-war baby boom and the entry of women into the work force—have been reversed in the last six years. The equivalent of 7.5 million workers have been lost from the U.S. labor force.

A critical issue for the U.S. economy
The dynamics of the U.S. labor market is perhaps the most critical—and uncertain—issue in economics today. It matters for two crucial reasons. First, the future size of the labor force will be central in determining the pace of U.S. economic growth over the medium term. Second, the extent to which the recent declines in participation rates are reversible will be the principal factor in deciding future wage and price inflation and, as a result, the timing and pace at which the Fed raises interest rates.

Labor’s golden era and the subsequent decline
Even before the Great Recession, worker participation had been declining. The “golden” era was 1960–1990, when participation rates increased from 60 to 66 percent. This reflected the baby boom generation reaching adulthood and women becoming more fully represented in the workforce. But this boost to the size of the labor force started to fade in the 1990s as the baby boom generation started retiring and participation rates for women began declining. Indeed, since the bursting of the dotcom bubble and the 2001 recession, the labor force participation rate has continued to fall.

A mixture of factors is behind the decline. Structural changes, mostly linked to population aging, have been an important part of the downtrend. However, cyclical factors related to the availability of jobs and wage dynamics have also been important, particularly following the Great Recession.

Our recent study points to aging being responsible for around 50 percent of the decline in participation since the Great Recession, while cyclical forces account for a further 30–40 percent.

The remainder of the post-2007 decline reflects various other forces at work. For example, there has been a significant decline in youth participation. This has been mainly driven not, as some have conjectured, by an increase in college enrollment but, rather, a decline in the number of those students who are also working. In addition, rising applications for disability insurance have played a role. Demographics have meant more of the population is in the over-50s age group where the incidence of disability insurance is highest. Adding to this was the upward spike in applications following the Great Recession. Importantly, even those eventually denied benefits exited the labor force while their application was still pending.

A temporary reversal of the decline
Using detailed state level data, our analysis suggests that up to one-third of the post-2007 decline in participation rates is reversible. Over the next few years, this should mean a temporary respite in participation with workers (about 2 million) coming back into the labor market as job prospects improve. However, by 2017 participation rates should again start to decline as the underlying forces of population aging begin to dominate and more-than-offset the cyclical bounce back.

Boosting the participation rate in a sustained way
Despite the recovery so far, the U.S. labor market remains far from normal. The numbers of long-term unemployed are still higher than at any previous peak since World War II.

And a sizable “participation gap”—the difference between the trend participation rate and the actual participation rate—has created other forms of labor market slack, which is when there are more potential workers than jobs.

Hence, policies in the coming years should focus on maximizing the potential of the U.S. labor market. Demographics cannot be reversed but progress can still be made.

First, economic policies that get the country growing again will help strengthen the labor market, raise wages, and bring people back into the labor force.

Labor supply measures would also help and pay-off over the long haul by boosting potential growth. Key measures include enhancing training and job search assistance programs, so as to raise human capital and productivity. Better family benefits—including more affordable childcare—would allow both parents to continue working and help reverse the downward trend in female labor force participation rates. Finally, immigration reform ought to be part of the solution. To support its aging population, the U.S. could provide greater visa opportunities for high-skilled immigrants. This would not only help boost the size and productivity of the labor force, but also likely improve the government’s fiscal position.
[837 words]

Source: EconoMonitor
http://www.economonitor.com/blog/2014/08/u-s-labor-force-where-have-all-the-workers-gone/

本帖子中包含更多资源

x
发表于 2014-9-26 07:14:57 | 显示全部楼层
Time2 2'29''
Time3 2'06''
Recruiters often bait employees with informal oral promises to which employees have no access when they've hired.  Employees should be sensitive to employers'strategies.

Time4 1'49''
Time5 1'33''
Time6 2'07''
Starbuck provides its employees financial assistence to take online courses .
Front-line job in fast food industry is critical for its success. Qualities of both leaders and employees affect its success.
Fast food industry should keep an appropraite stabilty/turnover rate.
Businese is related to many majors which help employees think critically thus help the busineses.

Obstacle: 5'41''
The U.S labor force;
Since 2008's great recession, the job participation rate has declined,which direclty determines the path of economy in the U.S.
Mixture of factors: aging/availibility of jobs/ wage dynamics etc.
How to boost paticipation rate: provide more potencial jobs /strengthen market/raise salary/provide training and so on
发表于 2014-9-26 08:11:47 | 显示全部楼层
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~谢谢蘑菇&吐吐~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Obstacle: 6min 04"
          U.S. Labor Force participation rate has been falling in an unexpected way.
          Two critical reasons about why learning the dynamics of the U.S. labor market is important.
          U.S. golden era for labor force was during 1960-1990 when the baby boom generation became adults and women
          began working outside. But later the labor force participation began to fall because people during the baby
          boom generation started retiring and many other mixed reasons.
          A temporary reversal of the decline cannot change the whole declining trend.
          Some methods provided to help sustain labor force and increase labor participation rate.

发表于 2014-9-26 08:26:47 | 显示全部楼层
Time 2 2'55''
Someone was hired in a company and he unsatisfied his salary.
NC suggest him to talk with his company department.
Time 3 2'07''
You should demonstrate why you could get a higher salary.
Time 4
In the fast-food industry, most people are under 20 and they often change their job.
Time 5 2'11''
A clever boss will keep his employees happy in oeder to make the business success.
Time 6 2'57''
There has three things that Starbuck use to make a better future. The author also tells us why education is so important.

Obstacle 7'14''
The change of workforce is relate to economy, population, social event, women's position and so on.
发表于 2014-9-26 08:59:16 | 显示全部楼层
T2 2:25
one man got baited by his employer—he didn't get the benefits promised by the employer.
NC recommends that him should read the arrangement carefully.
T3 2:24
You should make clear that you need to check all the documents since the employer's oral promise cannot be trusted.
The author recommends that the solution to protect yourself is not to disclose your history salaries.
T4
The author talks about some pretexts of fast food industries before deliberate the financial assistance offered by HS.
T5
The author talks about the importance of good massages sent by bosses to the employees. And they author evokes the question whether the educational assistance goanna work?
This decision is great since it offer the employees an opportunity to chase dream and then help maintain a 25% turnover.
T6
3 other merits:
1.a stable turnovers since employees stay employed while in school.
2.better workforce.
3.good reputation
Why education?
Offering education promises thinking employees.  
Obstacle: 8:46
The severe problems of the declining labors.
The importance of the dynamics of labors.
Reasons:
1.the recession.
2.the structure of labor
3.disablitity insurance and decreasing working students.
Although this condition may reverse, government still need to take some policies:
1.Boost economy.
2.labor supply measures.
3.family benefits.
4.more immigration.

发表于 2014-9-26 09:30:35 | 显示全部楼层
time2+time3 4:00
a person has been baited by a recruiter
some advice an expert givea him/her

time4+time5+time6 7:06

obstacle 6:53
the U.S. labor force is facing a downturn
reasons
advice

发表于 2014-9-26 10:04:29 | 显示全部楼层
Speed
time2.3
157w/m
"The writer was suffered from a bait-and-swith job offer.
The reasons why employees are easily to suffer from the bait.
Tips and statements you can use when accept an offer."

time4.5.6
144w/m
"The founder of Starbuck decided to give online trainings to its employees.
People may think it's worthless since the coffee jobs have little connection with education.(introduce the condition of coffee jobs now)
Detailed depicted the benefits of the training:raise hope and three other advantages
Conclusion:the connection between education and business--education teaches people to think critically
"

Obstacles
118w/m
"A graph of labor force participation rate in the USA:decline in recent years
2nd graphong term unemployed rate is influctuated and it's historically high now→so we need to find a sustained way
3rd graph:the best way is to make full use of labor force and to minimize the gaps"
发表于 2014-9-26 11:18:25 | 显示全部楼层
Speaker
Online money originated from small contribution. People love easy way and online foundation offers democrats benefits. Democrats focus on what happen on November and members being elected. Any parties doesn't want to lose candidates while raising money online.

[Time 2] 2'15
Pay attention to all components of the offer.

[Time 3] 1'50
U have the right to refuse to disclose your salary history.

[Time 4] 1'38
[Time 5] 1'36
[Time 6] 2'26
starbucks' education decision

Obstacle
Factors that affect the decline of labors: structure change(aging), policy(availability of jobs and wage dynamics)
The decline is reversible.
The way to boost potential growth: improve economic policies, labor supply measures, immigration reform  
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

Mark一下! 看一下! 顶楼主! 感谢分享! 快速回复:

手机版|ChaseDream|GMT+8, 2024-3-29 20:36
京公网安备11010202008513号 京ICP证101109号 京ICP备12012021号

ChaseDream 论坛

© 2003-2023 ChaseDream.com. All Rights Reserved.

返回顶部